Thread: [Article]Eternal Europe: Five Decks, Five Hands

[Article]Eternal Europe: Five Decks, Five Hands

Some detailed discussion of mulligan scenarios for different decks this time around - Enjoy!

http://www.starcitygames.com/article...ive-Hands.html
    I don't have low self-esteem, I have low esteem for everyone else. -Daria

Proud member of Team CAB
    High Priest of the Church of BLA

CAB JaceTM

My articles

Oct 2012
    Stockholm, Sweden

Re: [Article]Eternal Europe: Five Decks, Five Hands

This was a delightful read! You managed to find several interesting example hands to discuss, and I always enjoy following your thought process as well as your reasoning. Your deeper understanding clearly shows and I felt engaged reflecting upon the points you made. I also left a comment on the article, bringing up a few questions. I look forward to hearing your point of view/thoughts on the matter.

Site Contributor

Jun 2013
    Philadelphia, PA

Really liked this one. Fun puzzles, and I like how it uses Legacy decks but anyone can get something valuable out of it.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

I don't think the D&T hand is keepable, at least on the draw, because it's too slow. You have no action aside from mana denial on the early turns unless you get lucky and draw some action before that.

Bahra summed up my thoughts pretty well in his conclusion:

Quote Originally Posted by Bahra View Post
    Having thought about it a little, I think it's absolutely a mulligan. There's nothing for combo basically and this hand is only OK against an opponent who plays a dual land and then just passes every turn until we draw something.

"this hand perfectly executes the deck's primary mana denial gameplan"

That is just plain wrong and frankly a little disappointing out of Carsten Kotter. The mana denial plan is the primary plan yes, but this hand does not execute it well. A mana denial plan has to come with something else than just the denying of your opponents mana. Either pressure or a development of your own mana has to accompany the denying of your opponents mana. Denying your opponent of casting spells is only 1 part of the mana denial game plan. And it doesn't work with just 1 part.

Obviously if this hand had a mother of runes or an Ęther Vial (preferably) I would snap keep.

If on the play I would probably keep it but it still wouldn't be a solid keep.
    Last edited by Barook; 05-06-2015 at 12:38 PM.

Thread Information