Thread: Tips For Travelling with an Avg. Legacy Deck (2-3 Gs worth of cardboard)

MTGO Name: Adelorenzi
    Mar 2009

Tips For Travelling with an Avg. Legacy Deck (2-3 Gs worth of cardboard)

Hello Guys.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with travelling for an extended amount of time (1+ year) with a legacy deck.

Would you guys risk bringing something like Delver with you in a backpack or play it safe with something more like Burn?

Oct 2011
    Denmark

Re: Tips For Travelling with an Avg. Legacy Deck (2-3 Gs worth of cardboard)

depends on how you are travelling?

if you plan to hitchhike the universe, leave the stuff at home.

I travel quite alot, and i always bring my stuff with me, on my person (daytrip bag). Just in the deckboxes. if the weather is very bad, put that in a plastic bag inside the backpack.
    "Brainstorm and Fetchlands are interesting although I don't know if Brainstorms alone are worth it right now, because Stifle is a common card. " -Peddi 2015.

Hey guys, let's do it! The blue yonder awaits! Yahoo!
    Apr 2011
    The World

Quote Originally Posted by Phelix View Post
    depends on how you are travelling?

if you plan to hitchhike the universe, leave the stuff at home.

I travel quite alot, and i always bring my stuff with me, on my person (daytrip bag). Just in the deckboxes. if the weather is very bad, put that in a plastic bag inside the backpack.
    I agree, depends on your way of traveling. If backpacking, I would take a 'cheap' deck with me. It also depends wether or not the hostel has a safe you can rent. I'm not the real backbacker type myself, though. Usually I stay at one or two places, privately rent, so it's easier to take the deck I'm currently playing with me.

I also select my deckboxes with care. I highly recommend a Ultimate Guard Flip 'n' Tray deckbox: it's good for 75-80 cards, and also dices. Unfortunately, they're not that easy to come by.
    "Be it ever so crumbled, there's no place like home."

RGCL (GQ)

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Welcome aboard, in her dark name we do dedicate this performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    That actually sounds erotic.
    Youtube-playlist dedicated to RGCL

MTGO Name: Adelorenzi
    Mar 2009

Thanks for the tips guys, yeah I was planning on backpacking. It would be awesome to be able to drop in to some game shop somewhere on legacy night and have a good time, but I don't think it would be worth the risk. That is a great idea as far as the plastic bag to keep the cards dry.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Backpacking makes it risky. If you were hoteling, different story. Maybe just insure it before you go, but if not, double sleeve and plastic bag it and hope no one steals it.

-Matt

Banned

Mar 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Chatto View Post
    It also depends wether or not the hostel has a safe you can rent.
    The Hostel? He is probably staying in 50-100 different ones over the course of that year. Apart from that close to every hostel has lockers you can lock up with your own padlock.

As for water just buy a decent drybag for 20 bucks. Useful for other stuff like documents as well. People suggesting plastic bags for traveling that long, wtf.

Overall taking the deck with you would make sense if you for example travel the US and plan to drop by a lot of SCGs and GPs. Europe would be more difficult to visit a reasonable amount of bigger tournaments. Anywhere else and I would just leave my stuff at home.

Apr 2011
    The World

Quote Originally Posted by talermacher View Post
    The Hostel? He is probably staying in 50-100 different ones over the course of that year. Apart from that close to every hostel has lockers you can lock up with your own padlock. (...)
    Chill dude, a hostel/ the hostel.. You get the picture... And as I was saying: I'm not a backpacking person myself, and when I did, for the most part, there wasn't a decent locker to be found. But then again, I haven't seen a hostel in more than a decade, so you're probably right.

Bottomline stays the same: only take your expensive stuff with you when you can store it safe.

RGCL (GQ)

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

unless you are planning on having people steal your stuff its as good as safe. most ppl don't know what mtg is and the people that do are the people that are gong to see u play it. If your stuff gets stolen its gonna be all your stuff. Very unlikely someone is going to profile you for your magic deck....
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

I personally would not take a deck with me, but I guess if I hit a snag and needed cash, I would not be too unhappy to have some cards on me.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Oct 2011
    Denmark

I personally would not take a deck with me, but I guess if I hit a snag and needed cash, I would not be too unhappy to have some cards on me.
    id rather have a credit card.
    "Brainstorm and Fetchlands are interesting although I don't know if Brainstorms alone are worth it right now, because Stifle is a common card. " -Peddi 2015.

Apr 2007
    Leicester, UK

We took Legacy decks with us when travelling around America and used to sit in the Greyhound stations playing games. Of course that was six years ago and prices have gone up a lot! I always made sure the decks were in hand luggage when travelling and, apart from at GenCon, secure in our motel room when not.

As others have said it is going to depend on where you are travelling and what sort of accommodation you are staying in as well as how much opportunity you will get to play. If you want to play more than one format Burn crosses over well between Legacy/Modern without needing to take that many extra cards.
    My Legacy Decks of choice: Pox, Miracles, D&T or Lands.
    Online Trading Reference Checker

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by talermacher View Post
    The Hostel? He is probably staying in 50-100 different ones over the course of that year. Apart from that close to every hostel has lockers you can lock up with your own padlock.

As for water just buy a decent drybag for 20 bucks. Useful for other stuff like documents as well. People suggesting plastic bags for traveling that long, wtf.

Overall taking the deck with you would make sense if you for example travel the US and plan to drop by a lot of SCGs and GPs. Europe would be more difficult to visit a reasonable amount of bigger tournaments. Anywhere else and I would just leave my stuff at home.
    Or whatever a drybag is, sure. You know how many ziplock bags you can buy for $20? Hundreds. But this is the right idea. I'm just not sure what a drybag is considering I only stay in nice hotels, so I don't need to "backpack" or whatever it's called.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

if you are really that concerned just insure it. I'm sure some insurance company will insure just that one deck for a year while you travel.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing

Apr 2011
    The World

Quote Originally Posted by apple713 View Post
    if you are really that concerned just insure it. I'm sure some insurance company will insure just that one deck for a year while you travel.
    About that, I am very curious how this insurance would look like. It's not like your average everyday item. Do you insure your deck as a whole, or card by card. Just curious. It's worth looking into, even without the part about traveling.

RGCL (GQ)

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Chatto View Post
    About that, I am very curious how this insurance would look like. It's not like your average everyday item. Do you insure your deck as a whole, or card by card. Just curious. It's worth looking into, even without the part about traveling.
    insurance for card collections is fairly common. not everyone will insure them. Some will insure them but not cover traveling. you just have to research it. In my experience I found that to insure a collection of about 50K its $200-300 / year. That seems high in my opinion but i don't have experience with insurance. It's more than what i would spend to insure my house tho. Although my household belongings are near as valuable as my collection.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing

I generally store my deck box in a belt bag instead of a backpack when travelling with an expensive deck (tokens, dice, playmat... can stay in the backpack).

Not sure about the hotel, I guess using the hotel safe is one option, although if broken into it makes the cards look appealing to a burglar (whereas leaving them in plain sight might be safer). My home was burgled last year, and there were foil fetchlands, FBB dual lands and other goodies on the living room table, which were left untouched. The guys were more interested in stealing my Kindle and my daughter's 3DS...

It's possible to insure your Magic collection (I did it for mine), but I'm not sure how insurance works with regard to travels.

Say no to creatures.

May 2013

Quote Originally Posted by ironclad8690 View Post
    Hello Guys.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with travelling for an extended amount of time (1+ year) with a legacy deck.

Would you guys risk bringing something like Delver with you in a backpack or play it safe with something more like Burn?
    Do you have a laptop or a tablet you are taking with you? I imagine it would be close to the cost of a deck. What do you plan to do with it?
    Legacy: Rituals
    Vintage: Drains

Judgy Curmudgeon
    Feb 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Higgs View Post
    Do you have a laptop or a tablet you are taking with you? I imagine it would be close to the cost of a deck. What do you plan to do with it?
    This. Nothing special about travelling with Cards as opposed to a Laptop or a nice Watch. If you're staying in a room, keep your valuables out of sight and check them when you return. I typically keep small/fragile/expensive stuff in a Carry-on when I am flying. And ziplock bags are great for keeping stuff dry, but make sure you vent/reseal them occasionally.

The bigger question is do you really want to be carrying around something that you might only use half a dozen times?
    Check out my Legacy UBTezz Primer. Chalice of the Void: Keeping Magic Fair.
    -----
    Playing since '96. Brief forced break '02-04. Former/Idle Judge since '05. Told Smmenen to play faster at Vintage Worlds.
    -----
    Most of the 'Ban brainstorm!' arguments are based on the logic that 'more different cards should get played in Legacy', as though the success or health of the format can be measured by the portion of cards that are available and see play. This is an idiotic metric.

Thread Information