Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930 LastLast

Thread: [PRIMER] Oozing

Brisbane Legacy regular
    Jan 2009
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Re: [PRIMER] Oozing

Anyone still Oozing?

I got out for a long overdue Friday night Legacy with Oozing. Went 2-2. Beat jank combo and DreadStill and lost to Lands and Turbo Depths. Surprisingly, it wasn't Crop Rotation into Bog I lost to (I played around that marvelously) but land-screw and not drawing selection to fix it.

I cut a Griselbrand (from two to one), Ooze (from three to two), and a land (from 15 to 14) for an extra Exhume, Buried Alive, and Collective Brutality. I didn't like any of the changes. It felt like I didn't see enough land and sideboarding decisions actually seemed to be harder rather than easier. I think I am going to stay with my stock list:

3 Necrotic Ooze
    1 Phyrexian Devourer
    1 Triskelion
    2 Griselbrand

4 Entomb
    3 Buried Alive

4 Shallow Grave
    2 Exhume
    1 Reanimate

4 Thoughtseize
    2 Collective Brutality
    2 Cabal Therapy

4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder

2 Swamp
    1 Island
    3 Underground Sea
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Bloodstained Mire
    1 Marsh Flats
    1 Flooded Strand
    1 Scalding Tarn
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Dark Ritual

Sideboard

4 Silent Gravestone
    3 Echoing Truth
    3 Massacre
    2 Spell Pierce
    2 Swan Song
    1 Iona, Shield of Emeria

My New Year's resolution is to play more Oozing, so I'm going to try and make Legacy every fortnight or so and play all the major events.

I'm willing to try it because I have basically all of the cards now
    Just need to test it to see what it offers compared to Tinfins variants

Edit: After goldfishing a bit I think this might want 1 Chrome Mox instead of the extra reanimation or discard spells. (I know this isn't an original idea but is just my 2c on the list)
    Last edited by kombatkiwi; 01-28-2019 at 01:02 PM.

Aug 2011
    Valencia !

Hi oozers !

I want return to play oozing ,and maybe test new cards :

- Baleful strix ( with 3-4 cabal therapy main deck ) .
    - Spellseeker ( with cabal therapy , Pact of Negation ... )
    - Oozin play buried alive, maybe ...Arclight Phoenix ?

Quote Originally Posted by gRR!! View Post
    Hey there,

I was your Manaless Dredge rival. Great games we had there, your deck looks really fun and solid, I might give it a try. I'm not sure what should have happened Game 3 if you hadn't bounced my Ichorid twice with Echoing Truths :)
    Your full foil manaless dredge its wonderfull , un placer de partidas! :D

May 2010
    Toronto, Canada

http://www.tcdecks.net/deck.php?id=30046&iddeck=253691

Cartesian finished a league 5-0 with a midrange version of the combo. Seems like an interesting take, not sure how many wins they got with the combo or with grinding.

Quote Originally Posted by pocari79 View Post

Cartesian finished a league 5-0 with a midrange version of the combo. Seems like an interesting take, not sure how many wins they got with the combo or with grinding.
    I saw this too and I think this decklist is extremely hot

It took me a while to realise that there are two ooze kills, both built around a 4-of and a 1-of:

Combo A: 4 Ballista + 1 Devourer, the one we all know already.

Combo B: 4 Devoted Druid + 1 Grim Poppet
    With Devoted Druid + Grim Poppet what you do is:
    1. Tap Ooze for G using Devoted Druid's ability
    2. Using Devoted Druid's other ability, Put a -1/-1 counter on Ooze and untap it
    3. Activate Grim Poppet's ability removing a -1 counter from Necrotic Ooze as the activation cost, targeting another creature. Hold priority and don't let this ability resolve
    4. Go back to step 1

The end result gives you infinite green mana, which lets you kill the opponent with Biogenic Ooze (either by GSZing for it or by Entombing it into the graveyard to copy its token ability with Necrotic Ooze)

Because Entomb is such an efficient card compared to Buried Alive it seems cool that you can build the deck in a way that you can draw a 4x of one of the combo pieces and only need to tutor for the other half of the combo.
    With the Explorer mana and Genesis maybe Buried Alive is still okay though? You can buried alive for e.g. Genesis + Ooze + Combopiece
    It's cool that the Biogenic Ooze is a solid midrange threat by itself and you can play as a reasonable Nicfit deck (if there is such a thing) with Vetex/Therapy/Deed etc.

I don't think Biogenic Ooze buffing your Necrotic Ooze / Scavenging Ooze is going to be relevant too often but it is extremely funny that somebody arguably managed to 5-0 a league with Ooze Tribal

Quote Originally Posted by pocari79 View Post

That's the most exciting deck I've seen in a long time! With devoted druid in there though I would try to fit in pattern of rebirth in the sb. Needs one quillspike too .
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

With all those oozes being hardcast (?), Wouldn't cavern of souls be a good idea?

Hey there. While I do not recommend the above list, the fact that Walking Ballista is a huge upgrade from Triskelion is something I have been thinking about and tinkered with. I feel like there is a good midrange combo list somewhere, but that one is not it. Be warned.
    I really like how this Ooze combo is virtually impossible to disrupt on the stack.

Quote Originally Posted by Cartesian View Post
    Hey there. While I do not recommend the above list, the fact that Walking Ballista is a huge upgrade from Triskelion is something I have been thinking about and tinkered with. I feel like there is a good midrange combo list somewhere, but that one is not it. Be warned.
    I really like how this Ooze combo is virtually impossible to disrupt on the stack.
    What are/were the problems with the BG List above?
    I think there are good arguments for Triskelion over Ballista if you're playing a reanimator-focused build with only 1 copy of either one, but in a midrange build with more copies Ballista is definitely stronger

May 2010
    Toronto, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by kombatkiwi View Post
    I think there are good arguments for Triskelion over Ballista if you're playing a reanimator-focused build with only 1 copy of either one, but in a midrange build with more copies Ballista is definitely stronger
    I was goldfishing with Cartesian's version for the past couple of days and have found some things that don't really work well.

1. I felt that Green Sun's Zenith just doesn't do enough in the deck. There was a bunch of times where I want/need a Walking Ballista or a Necrotic Ooze and the Green Sun's just looking sad in my hand. Zenithing for a Veteran Explorer is probably all right on turn 2 but becomes underwhelming all other times. Zenithing for a Scavenging Ooze feels kind of medium this deck as well since the deck doesn't really run a lot of removal spells so it's tough to grow it to a respectable threat.

2. The Entomb also felt kind of medium to me. Maybe I'm playing it wrong but usually I'm waiting on drawing a Walking Ballista or a Devoted Druid first before using the Entomb to grab the other corresponding piece. Or I'd have all the pieces in the graveyard already and I need to find a Necrotic Ooze and I see an Entomb sitting in my hand.

3. Drawing the Phyrexian Devourer and/or Grim Poppet felt the worst. Sure, it shouldn't happen very often but it does happen enough. Also, drawing the 3rd/4th copy of Devoted Druid didn't feel the greatest either. Many times I wished there was a discard outlet other than using therapy or thoughtseize on myself.

4. Having only 19 lands in the deck made it hard to actually get to 4-5 lands in play if you don't have an early Veteran Explorer so it was difficult to hardcast the Biogenic Ooze without Devoted Druid. Maybe my shuffling skills just suck.

Because of the nature of the deck where you want some combo pieces in the yard and some on the hand, I was thinking maybe it might be better to replace the Green Sun's Zenith and some Entomb's with something like Grisly Salvage where it lets you find land in the early game and in the late game, it can try to find the creature you need in hand and dump the rest in the graveyard.

I was thinking maybe there should be something like Lotleth Trolls in the list. It's an early game play that can become a threat, has relevant abilities for the Necrotic Ooze to use when it's in the yard and it's relatively difficult to remove unless the opponent plays plows. Maybe Grim Flayer could also be considered just so there's some sort of card selection.

I might be wrong as this comes all from goldfishing and maybe when you're playing against opponents these issues won't be that prominent but I feel like the goal of this deck is to keep playing early/midgame threats and then has the possibility of winning out of nowhere after the opponent has spent a lot of resources.

I actually would be inclined to play Ballista even in a combo focused deck because it has applications outside of the combo, such as killing a Thalia or Revoker.

The whole Devoted Druid 'part' of the deck is probably not worth running at all. And 19 lands are too few. Not sure about the Biogenic Oozes either.
    I think the 4 Necrotic Ooze, 4 Ballista, 1 Devourer and some way to get it into the graveyard is a solid shell to start on, pretty much everything else is debatable.

I feel like the goal of this deck is to keep playing early/midgame threats and then has the possibility of winning out of nowhere after the opponent has spent a lot of resources.
    That's the basic idea, yes.

Triskelion was a fine card against DnT, if you could reanimate it.

I guess Ballista is better and something you can play as a 4 of, save your reanimation for game winners. What matchups do you want 4x Ballista though? DnT, Infect, then what? Goblins, Elves?

Quote Originally Posted by Cartesian View Post
    I actually would be inclined to play Ballista even in a combo focused deck because it has applications outside of the combo, such as killing a Thalia or Revoker.
    The idea was that if you needed to kill a Thalia and you were only playing a 1-of pinger it was easier to entomb the Trike and then reanimate it rather than getting the Ballista into your hand somehow.
    Ballista is also fine against Delver and it also just helps a lot to not have the combo so reliant on Buried Alive

If the 4-Ballista core is good but the Devoted Druid package is bad then maybe you're supposed to cut Green? Then you could go back to the UB build and basically cut the buried alives for extra Ballistas
    Or you can try to be some kind of Mono-black version perhaps, with some more midrange elements, resilient mana and eschewing the shallow grave / Griselbrand package

Totally bonkers starting point:
    4 Heartless Summoning
    4 Walking Ballista
    4 Necrotic Ooze
    1 Phyrexian Devourer
    4 Entomb
    ... and go from there? Summoning makes it easy to cast Ooze and any Grave-Titan-esque creatures so it could be a possible alternative to the nicfit engine

Edit:
    Doom Whisperer!? could be on to something here
    Last edited by kombatkiwi; 04-04-2019 at 09:30 AM.

Site Contributor
    Sep 2009
    London, UK

Started playing again after a long time...good stuff ;)

I loaned a trick from the friends developing TES and removed the discard package replacing it with 4x Veil of Summer and 2 x Defense Grid in main.

I also updated the sideboard and played some games on MTGO. The meta seems ok for it, VoS helps a lot and being pro-active seems to make the deck stronger. The main hate for the gy seems to be Surgical Extraction and Leyline of the Void: Surgical is dealt with Ground Seal (as usual) and Leyline with Assassin's trophy.

The few games I played went pretty well (I won a game against the Zombie craziness that is rampant now after having my entombs extracted ;) ), I'll test more but it seems that VoS and DG made the deck stronger.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Oozing HQ: http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...-PRIMER-Oozing
    Oozing videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC48...fHPTElBw53lkhg

Nice!

What is your current build looking like?

Quote Originally Posted by Xod View Post
    Nice!

What is your current build looking like?
    I made this top 8 a while ago:

https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=20013&d=329822&f=LE

I liked the list and played a little bit with it since . Never liked the sideboard in the link....
    Nowadays, in Veil era, I believe this combo can get his spot in top8's.
    The combo don't suffer to Veil, and the sideboard have a lot of space to be versatile ...

I will try this, this year:

4 Shallow Grave
    4 Entomb
    3 Buried Alive
    2 Reanimate
    2 Exhume

1 Necrotic Ooze
    1 Triskelion
    1 Phyrexian Devourer
    1 Griselbrand
    1 Skirge Familiar

4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder

4 Thoughtseize
    2 Collective Brutality
    2 Cabal Therapy
    1 Xantid Swarm

4 Dark Ritual
    4 Lotus Petal

4 Polluted Delta
    3 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Underground Sea
    1 Misty Rainforest
    1 Swamp
    1 Island
    1 Bayou
    1 Tropical Island

SB:

2 Silent Gravestone
    2 Xantid Swarm
    2 Veil of Summer
    2 Mindbreak Trap
    2 Echoing Truth
    2 Chain of Vapor
    2 Abrupt Decay
    1 Iona, Shield of Emeria

Skirge is a beast!! Please, try it!

Xantid in main deck is a test. It is good against veils and can be used to flashback therapies if they get useless...
    Before that test this Xantid was in the place of the Iona in the board, making a total of 3 in the entire list..

Our sideboard support Mindbreak Trap, which passes through Veils. Makes us better against TES, ANT and other storm decks ( Underworld Breach )
    ;)

Brisbane Legacy regular
    Jan 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Raystar View Post
    Started playing again after a long time...good stuff ;)

I loaned a trick from the friends developing TES and removed the discard package replacing it with 4x Veil of Summer and 2 x Defense Grid in main.

I also updated the sideboard and played some games on MTGO. The meta seems ok for it, VoS helps a lot and being pro-active seems to make the deck stronger. The main hate for the gy seems to be Surgical Extraction and Leyline of the Void: Surgical is dealt with Ground Seal (as usual) and Leyline with Assassin's trophy.

The few games I played went pretty well (I won a game against the Zombie craziness that is rampant now after having my entombs extracted ;) ), I'll test more but it seems that VoS and DG made the deck stronger.
    Hey mate, hope you're well! How is the Veil of Summer and Defense Grid going in place of the discard? I haven't tested it, but my initial opinion would be that I still like the discard because sometimes you need to target yourself to get combo pieces out of your hand and without discard its more difficult to do. But I will give it a whirl on MODO and see.

Also, it seems you're back on the Green splash? How has Assassin's Trophy been for you? It seems amazing because it deals with any permanent hate. And Ground Seal is better than Silent Gravestone because you get to draw a card. But I'm a bit sad going back to Green because the manabase in straight BU is so good. Plus I have my Bayous in other decks now too :(

This is what I'd play if I was to sleeve the deck up now:

3 Necrotic Ooze
    1 Phyrexian Devourer
    1 Triskelion
    2 Griselbrand
    4 Entomb
    3 Buried Alive
    4 Shallow Grave
    3 Exhume
    4 Thoughtseize
    2 Cabal Therapy
    2 Collective Brutality
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    2 Swamp
    1 Island
    3 Underground Sea
    2 Bayou
    4 Polluted Delta
    3 Bloodstained Mire
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Lotus Petal

Sideboard (15)

3 Ground Seal
    3 Assassin’s Trophy
    3 Massacre
    2 Spell Pierce
    2 Swan Song
    2 x

Stuck on what the last two cards in the sideboard should be. They could be Veil of Summer, Carpet of Flowers, or Xantid Swarm. Thoughts? Alternatively, you could cut the Collective Brutality and Cabal Therapy from the maindeck and put 4 Veil of Summer in. Only thing I don't like about that is that it's pretty much a dead card against non-Blue decks and you lose the ability to Collective Brutality a hatebear while discarding a combo piece from your hand. It may be correct to have some number of Abrupt Decay in the board for Counterbalance.

Also, we might need to rework the primer when we've got time, it's a bit dated now.

Hey Pandaman, can you explain your sideboard plan to the nowadays meta?

thx

Brisbane Legacy regular
    Jan 2009

Quote Originally Posted by ComboMan View Post
    Hey Pandaman, can you explain your sideboard plan to the nowadays meta?

thx
    I haven't played the deck for almost a year, so I don't really have a concrete idea of my sideboard plan. Let me get some reps in and get back to you.

The new card Fiend Artisan could be interesting for this deck:

{G/B}{G/B}
    Creature - Nightmare
    Fiend Artisan gets +1+1 for each creature card in your graveyard.
    {X}, {G/B}, {T}, sacrifice another creature: search your library for a creature card with CMC X or less, put it onto the battlefield, then shuffle your library. Activate this ability only anytime you could cast a sorcery.
    (1/1)

For example:
    Turn 1 Ritual, Buried Alive. Turn 2 you have a 2 mana 5/5.
    Then, if one of those 3 creatures was some kind of Bloodghast-type card, you can activate the Fiend Artisan to get another Fiend Artisan, or if you have enough mana you can search for Necrotic Ooze to do the combo. (Or you can search for a Necromancers Apprentice type card if the Ooze is in the graveyard and you have less mana).

It could be in a midrange kind of Veteran Explorer list (maybe without rituals) like what Cartesian played, or a more aggressive kind of Eva-Green style deck with the backup of the combo kill (Street Wraith powers up both Deaths Shadow and Artisan? possible approach)

Thread Information