Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: [PRIMER] Oozing

Site Contributor
    Sep 2009
    London, UK

Re: [PRIMER] Oozing

Quote Originally Posted by Havrekjex View Post
    I thought about it for a minute when they were spoiled and quickly ended up on a resounding "hell no". Even in such a life total sensitive deck as this, shocks are just miles better. Battle-duals look so good at first glance, but as soon as you try building and goldfishing a mana base with them, you realize how horribly restrictive they are. They only come into play untapped as your third land, and only if your first two lands are basics, so realistically not until they come in as your fourth if you want to fetch a U-Sea early on. They see practically zero play outside of Standard, EDH and Tiny for a reason. The only exception I can find is Cinder Glade as a 1-of in Scapeshift.

On the bright side, they`re dirt cheap :)
    Hehe, you are right ;)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Oozing HQ: http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...-PRIMER-Oozing
    Oozing videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC48...fHPTElBw53lkhg

Alright, bit the bullet and snagged an HP Bayou last night.

I haven't even started goldfishing yet, but I'm already ruminating on which lines are best to take. Do we jam T1 buried alive if we have it but no reanimation spell? Is it safe to let the creatures sit there for an indeterminate amount of time?

I wouldn't ask anyone to run through all the lines of the deck, that's time consuming. Maybe that's already been done in one of the older threads?

Brisbane Legacy regular
    Jan 2009
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Great news, more Oozers!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Nov 2010
    Japan

Quote Originally Posted by alaska View Post
    Alright, bit the bullet and snagged an HP Bayou last night.

I haven't even started goldfishing yet, but I'm already ruminating on which lines are best to take. Do we jam T1 buried alive if we have it but no reanimation spell? Is it safe to let the creatures sit there for an indeterminate amount of time?

I wouldn't ask anyone to run through all the lines of the deck, that's time consuming. Maybe that's already been done in one of the older threads?
    I guess it makes sense to cast Buried Alive ASAP if you're afraid that your opponent plays a lot of disruption in the form of soft counters or they're a non-Deathrite deck that uses discard. Personally, I would be wary of just binning all of my creatures in the dark because of Deathrite Shaman existing as a common main deck card that can punish you for it. Also, spending multiple cards to quickly cast Buried Alive might just not end up being worth it if you don't find your reanimation spell before you hit three lands to just cast the card naturally. More or less, I think the best case scenario is that you're a little faster, but the worst case scenario is that you get your combo exiled because you were impatient. In postboard games, I would never cast Buried Alive until I have everything else I need because every deck is capable of playing anti-graveyard cards and its easy enough to play around graveyard hate in this deck that I don't think it's worth the added risk of binning your creatures before you can get use from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Namida View Post
    I guess it makes sense to cast Buried Alive ASAP if you're afraid that your opponent plays a lot of disruption in the form of soft counters or they're a non-Deathrite deck that uses discard. Personally, I would be wary of just binning all of my creatures in the dark because of Deathrite Shaman existing as a common main deck card that can punish you for it. Also, spending multiple cards to quickly cast Buried Alive might just not end up being worth it if you don't find your reanimation spell before you hit three lands to just cast the card naturally. More or less, I think the best case scenario is that you're a little faster, but the worst case scenario is that you get your combo exiled because you were impatient. In postboard games, I would never cast Buried Alive until I have everything else I need because every deck is capable of playing anti-graveyard cards and its easy enough to play around graveyard hate in this deck that I don't think it's worth the added risk of binning your creatures before you can get use from them.
    Thank you, that all sounds reasonable.

Site Contributor
    Sep 2009
    London, UK

Quote Originally Posted by alaska View Post
    Thank you, that all sounds reasonable.
    You also want to pass through Griselbrand in G1 as much as possible. The reason is that we are still at a stage where people don't grasp correctly how to stop us and the Griselbrand move generally induce people to focus on it instead of trying to stop the Ooze (with needle, for example).

In general I try to keep the Devourer safe as much as I can, the real core of the combo is Ooze+Devourer. The best way to play Buried Alive (apart from the aftermath of a Griselbrand pass) is after having managed to have an Ooze on the table...of course, if you have the mana on T1 (4/5 mana) and BA+a reanimate spell you go for it, but Christmas only comes once a year
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brisbane Legacy regular
    Jan 2009

Yup, resolving an Ooze before Buried Alive is amazingly strong. There are so many options from there.

What should I write in the "deck designer" field on deck registration sheets?

Also, what do I change in the primer sideboard to update it? Has anything changed after the DTT ban that we should address?

Brisbane Legacy regular
    Jan 2009

3-1 at the weekly last night. Didn't hit a U deck, lost to Lands ripping two Crop Rotation in succession for Bog and the combo respectively, and won through three Phyrexian Revokers (albeit through an opponent's play mistake).

List was:

2 Swamp
    1 Island
    3 Underground Sea
    2 Bayou
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Marsh Flats
    1 Bloodstained Mire
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Dark Ritual
    1 Chrome Mox

3 Necrotic Ooze
    1 Triskelion
    1 Phyrexian Devourer
    1 Putrid Imp
    1 Griselbrand

4 Entomb
    3 Buried Alive

4 Shallow Grave
    2 Reanimate
    1 Exhume

4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder

4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Cabal Therapy

Sideboard (15)

1 Necrotic Ooze
    1 Iona
    2 Exhume
    2 Massacre
    3 Abrupt Decay
    2 Reverent Silence
    2 Thoughtseize
    2 Surgical Extraction

R1 D&T Win 2-1. G1 I can't find the combo and die. G2 I have a T2 kill. G3 I have a T2 kill.

R2 D&T Win 1-0. G1 goes long. He has triple Revokers on Petal, Ooze, Trisk. I have Trisk and Ooze in play. He swings with the wrong Revoker and I block with Trisk (no Mom!). G2 goes to time and he goes to StP my Ooze with Devourer in the GY. I pump it to 50 power so he can't kill me in turns because of the life I gain.

G3 lands. L0-2. G1 I lead with USea, Petal, Ritual, Ooze with Entomb in hand for the T2 kill. He Wastes my USea and I don't draw any more mana until I die. G2 I get the combo but in response to Ooze hardcast he Crops for Bog (only card in hand). I do some shenanigans and get double Ooze down (the only creatures left in my deck) and go on beatdown. He rips the second Crop Rotation for his combo.

R4 v Junk. W2-0. G1 he goes T2 KotR with Wasteland on board. Fearing double Waste locking me out I YOLO Brainstorm into Ritual and Griselbrand and go Petal Ritual PImp discard Griz Shallow Grave Griz draw 14 win. G2 he ETutors for RiP, so I need to go. So I do, with Shallow Grave on Griz for the combo.

There are no FoWs in the store for some reason. Oozing is in a good place. Sideboard against D&T was:

-1 Necrotic Ooze
    -1 Buried Alive
    -1 Exhume
    -1 Chrome Mox
    -1 Gitaxian Probe
    +3 Abrupt Decay
    +2 Massacre

I'm not sure about Chrome Mox though. Ideally we want to win quickly and it's useful for that. On the other hand it gets hit by Revoker and Flickerwisp. Thoughts?

Also, what to sideboard against Lands? I haven't played against this new combo version much at all. I brought in Decay (for Chalice/Sphere of Resistance) and Surgical (for Loam or Depths/Stage). Board was:

-1 Chrome Mox
    -1 Buried Alive
    -1 Necrotic Ooze
    -1 Gitaxian Probe
    -1 Reanimate
    +3 Abrupt Decay
    +2 Surgical Extraction

Site Contributor
    Sep 2009
    London, UK

Good job Panda! A bit of bad luck against land...I don't generally side in the Surgical Extractions, at the moment I'm considering adding Needles to the sideboard to replace Boseiju and Iona, they would certainly get in for Thespian Stage...

Site Contributor
    Sep 2009
    London, UK

What should I write in the "deck designer" field on deck registration sheets?

Also, what do I change in the primer sideboard to update it? Has anything changed after the DTT ban that we should address?
    You can write whatever you want mate ;) we have all participated in creating the deck.

My current SB (I'm experimenting with Needle) is:

3 Abrupt Decay
    2 Reverent Silence
    1 Duress
    2 Pithing Needle
    2 Exhume
    2 Massacre
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Flex Slot (I go back and forth between Iona and Thoughtseize)

Quote Originally Posted by Raystar View Post
    You can write whatever you want mate ;) we have all participated in creating the deck.

My current SB (I'm experimenting with Needle) is:

3 Abrupt Decay
    2 Reverent Silence
    1 Duress
    2 Pithing Needle
    2 Exhume
    2 Massacre
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Flex Slot (I go back and forth between Iona and Thoughtseize)
    When I play online, I usually go with a Needle in the flex slot, and I`ve been happy with it. It`s fun bringing it in against the BGx decks if they`ve sided out all their Decays in game 2. What now, DRS? If they bring some decays in again for game 3 just to deal with my one-of Needle, that`s a win too.

And of course it`s good against STD. Ooops, I mean SDT.

Is Iona on its way out? I can see how she`s not as useful now that OmniTell isn`t a huge deal, but she just seems like she brings a whole lot for just one slot. I`m biased though because I love the card to bits and I`ve played her in practically every format she`s legal in.

How do we sideboard against RUG Delver? I'm oozing this upcoming Sunday, and there's this intimidatingly skilled player that's always on RUG Delver with 4x Stifle.

Site Contributor
    Sep 2009
    London, UK

How do we sideboard against RUG Delver? I'm oozing this upcoming Sunday, and there's this intimidatingly skilled player that's always on RUG Delver with 4x Stifle.
    RUG Delver is a nasty deck to play against. If you are sure you are going to face some, the 4th Ooze in the SB (in the flexible slot) will definitely help. You will probably only have the Ooze and the decays to bring in and hope for the best...it is pretty rough, definitely our worse matchup together with Miracles...

RUG Delver is a nasty deck to play against. If you are sure you are going to face some, the 4th Ooze in the SB (in the flexible slot) will definitely help. You will probably only have the Ooze and the decays to bring in and hope for the best...it is pretty rough, definitely our worse matchup together with Miracles...
    Well damn man that's not what I wanted to hear at all! At least I can blame that when I lose. Legacy tournaments around here are often 12-20 players and this guy is one of the regulars. He's also the only one on RUG in my area afaik, while there are several of those Miracles vermin. But I'm not surprised that it's a bad matchup, tons of counterspells + Stifle + Wasteland + a fast clock isn't exactly what we want to see. I'm not looking forward to choosing between baiting out Stifle with lands or expecting to pay the first 7 life for zero cards

Site Contributor
    Sep 2009
    London, UK

Well damn man that's not what I wanted to hear at all! At least I can blame that when I lose. Legacy tournaments around here are often 12-20 players and this guy is one of the regulars. He's also the only one on RUG in my area afaik, while there are several of those Miracles vermin. But I'm not surprised that it's a bad matchup, tons of counterspells + Stifle + Wasteland + a fast clock isn't exactly what we want to see. I'm not looking forward to choosing between baiting out Stifle with lands or expecting to pay the first 7 life for zero cards
    The best way out is to get a ooze on the ground followed by entomb, they can't beat that. Your best hand is a mix of lands, fast mana, an ooze, an entomb and a discard. If you manage to get the ooze in play they can only use bolt and hope that they have the counterspell for your entomb.

Maybe you get lucky and this guy crashes against a wall of BUG Delvers instead of meeting you

Thanks!

Next Q: My current SB contains:

2 Reverent Silence
    4 Decays
    1 Pithing Needle
    -
    2 Massacre
    2 Exhume
    1 Iona
    1 Surgical Extraction
    1 Duress
    1 Ooze

How much of that do I board in against Miracles? All the top 7 cards are great in the MU, but would I be over-sideboarding at that point?

Actually, is that fourth Decay overkill? It seems like our #1 SB card, so I figure why not.
    Last edited by Havrekjex; 11-20-2015 at 03:34 PM.

Brisbane Legacy regular
    Jan 2009

Good job Panda! A bit of bad luck against land...I don't generally side in the Surgical Extractions, at the moment I'm considering adding Needles to the sideboard to replace Boseiju and Iona, they would certainly get in for Thespian Stage...
    Thanks mate. I'm interested in Needle. I would run:

3 Abrupt Decay
    2 Reverent Silence
    2 Massacre
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Thoughtseize
    2 Pithing Needle
    1 Necrotic Ooze
    1 Ground Seal

I'll see how that goes. There was a fair bit of DRS around last week so Ground Seal might not be bad. Are the Exhumes needed with no Iona? Is there a lot of Chalice right now?

Brisbane Legacy regular
    Jan 2009

Thanks!

Next Q: My current SB contains:

2 Reverent Silence
    4 Decays
    1 Pithing Needle
    -
    2 Massacre
    2 Exhume
    1 Iona
    1 Surgical Extraction
    1 Duress
    1 Ooze

How much of that do I board in against Miracles? All the top 7 cards are great in the MU, but would I be over-sideboarding at that point?

Actually, is that fourth Decay overkill? It seems like our #1 SB card, so I figure why not.
    I'd board all 7. You have heaps of time against Miracles. Decay will clear CB and allow you to continue to set up using cantrips.

Site Contributor
    Sep 2009
    London, UK

Quote Originally Posted by pandaman View Post
    Thanks mate. I'm interested in Needle. I would run:

3 Abrupt Decay
    2 Reverent Silence
    2 Massacre
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Thoughtseize
    2 Pithing Needle
    1 Necrotic Ooze
    1 Ground Seal

I'll see how that goes. There was a fair bit of DRS around last week so Ground Seal might not be bad. Are the Exhumes needed with no Iona? Is there a lot of Chalice right now?

Chalice is mostly coming from AggroLoam variants, I haven't seen many MUDs around. BTW, if you use Ground Seal I believe you NEED to have exhume in your SB.

Thread Information