Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: [PRIMER] Oozing

Site Contributor
    Sep 2009
    London, UK

Re: [PRIMER] Oozing

Quote Originally Posted by Havrekjex View Post
    Cool, that`s what I thought… it`s certainly a no-brainer against RUG. But how do you side against the Delver decks running DRS (BUG and Grixis+green)? Against DRS you want Ground Seal, and you certainly want some Decays, but you can`t bring in as many as seven cards… I think I`d rather shut down DRS than get the extra mana for Daze and Pierce, so maybe two Decay, two Seals and a Carpet? The Seals definitely seem more important as they also shut down Surgical Extraction, which a lot of these decks seem to run.
    The Carpets get in basically in one matchup: RUG Delver. Against BURG you side in 3AD and 2 GS, against RUG you bring in 3AD and 2CoF. When playing against BURG you can bet you house that they will go fo shaman on G2 and G3, at that point you shut them down with GS. Against RUG, instead, you are still going to face their usual disruption game and by playing CoF you nullify any hand with denial that they may have decided to keep.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Oozing HQ: http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...-PRIMER-Oozing
    Oozing videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC48...fHPTElBw53lkhg

Quote Originally Posted by Raystar View Post
    The Carpets get in basically in one matchup: RUG Delver. Against BURG you side in 3AD and 2 GS, against RUG you bring in 3AD and 2CoF. When playing against BURG you can bet you house that they will go fo shaman on G2 and G3, at that point you shut them down with GS. Against RUG, instead, you are still going to face their usual disruption game and by playing CoF you nullify any hand with denial that they may have decided to keep.
    So it`s great, but a bit narrow? I rarely see any RUG, as far as I know there`s only one guy in my home town that plays it. I have plenty of respect for him and his deck, but I`m not going to devote two slots to just that one guy. What I do see a metric shitload of is Elves, enough to keep my Iona even though it`s a good matchup without her.

When do you bring in Duress and Thoughtseize? I guess both for Sneak/Show decks is a no-brainer, and I think I`d rather have a Thoughtseize than a blind Cabal Therapy against Elves and (to a lesser extent) D&T, but after that?

Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Raystar View Post
    Very cool deck! I was actually looking for a Ooze deck to play in modern

Is this a "known" deck? why don't you add a thread with a bit of explanations in the Modern section?

EDIT: isn't the deck missing 5 cards?
    I would like to know these five cards too.

Brisbane Legacy regular
    Jan 2009
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Sorry friends, didn't realise I missed some cards.

4 Necrotic Ooze
    4 Fauna Shaman
    4 Devoted Druid
    4 Quillspike
    3 Thornling
    2 Eternal Witness
    1 Grim Poppet
    4 Birds of Paradise
    4 Llanowar Elves
    1 Elvish Mystic
    1 Abrupt Decay
    3 Lead the Stampede
    3 Chord of Calling

9 fetchlands
    4 Overgrown Tomb
    2 Woodland Cemetary
    5 Forest
    2 Swamp

Sideboard (15)

2 Nihil Spellbomb
    2 Ground Seal
    3 Abrupt Decay
    3 Duress
    3 Leyline of Sancity
    2 Nature's Claim

I've made some adjustments, but I've gone 1-3 and 1-2 in my last two events so the deck is still pretty terrible. It may never be better than terrible, but there has to be a more dignified way of using Ooze other than that Griselbrand/Borbygmous Enraged reanimation monstrosity. I'll start a thread over in the Modern section about it if you fellow Oozers would be interested in helping me out with some testing? I have GP Melbourne (Modern) coming up in March and after Legacy on Friday I'm looking for something to do on Saturday apart from trading, so I thought I might play a bit of Modern and what better deck to use than one that has some fun with the old Necrotic Ooze!

Brisbane Legacy regular
    Jan 2009

I made a Modern Oozing thread guys. http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...d=1#post926504. Any help would be appreciated!

Brisbane Legacy regular
    Jan 2009

In trolling the web discovered that we got a mention in this article!

Site Contributor
    Sep 2009
    London, UK

Quote Originally Posted by pandaman View Post
    In trolling the web discovered that we got a mention in this article!
    Hahaha freaking amazing

On the modern stuff....of course! As I said I have been looking for a Ooze Modern variant for a while, let's brew a bit
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Oozing HQ: http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...-PRIMER-Oozing
    Oozing videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC48...fHPTElBw53lkhg

[Deleted]
    Last edited by Havrekjex; 01-26-2016 at 03:38 PM.

Finally got to play Oozing!

Tested it on Friday and went 1-3 (and that one was a bye) I played absolutely terrible, but I saw my mistakes, and learned a lot from it.

So I took the deck to a bigger tournament this Sunday, I think 45 players, not sure. I ran this sideboard:
    3 Abrupt Decay
    2 Ground Seal
    2 Exhume
    2 Massacre
    2 Reverent Silence
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Duress
    1 Thoughtseize

Wasn't sure about the extractions, but didn't had many other (good) options.

First round against Miracles (2-0)
    G1: I saw his hand which was a bit borderline and few on counters and manage to go off smootly in the following turns.
    G2: He played a turn 1 pithing needle... on Phyrexian Devourer... I was happy :-) And of course when I went off, he called the judge, but naturally I was right.

2nd round against Shardless Bug (1-2)
    can't remember much, but I can't find the combo fast enough and he had hate, could disable some hate with Decay, but there were 2 Goyfs munching at my life. But the most tight game of the weekend. Mostly because in game 3 I had a decent starting hand with decay, ground seal and a bayou. But I only had a bayou, no fetchlands or probes. I had a ponder, but then I had to draw into a blue land/fetchland/Petal (chances were there, but since I was on the play, I couldn't risk it, also because I might not even land the Seal and then I was dead anyways, mulled to 5 I think, but still didn't got a good hand. Don't know if the mull was correct, but I thought it was less risky)

3rd round against Mentor deck (2-0)
    G1: Saw his hand, 1 started, no FOW, played Sea, PImp, discarded Griselbrand with ability, played petal and Reanimate. Opponent scooped :-)
    G2: Saw his hand again (really starting to love probe, although I board one or two out every second game) had a spell pierce. I had 2 petals and a dark ritual, 2 entombs (or a putrid imp and ooze), probe and a land. He spell pierced a petal, played land, DR, entomb for ooze, shallow grave ooze, attacked, cracked petal for entomb for Phyrexian Devourer for the win.
    Two times on turn 1, my opponent wasn't so happy.

4th round against Pox (2-0)
    G1: he played smallpox but didn't find to much discard, so I got my combo rather quickly.
    G2: This was the coolest game of the day. He did hymned me, but for the rest didn't find any discard but he had too many smallpoxes, he saw all copies that game :-) Good thing to keep the Chrome Mox in my hand (didn't board it out) Lucky I got to sweep 2 copies with a cabal therapy, for him to top deck another one. Can't remember the state exactly, but it went something like this:
    He had a Mishra's Factory and a tombstalker down, and was eating my life away very fast. I know he had a surgical in hand and the Hymn took the Ground Seal away quickly. I got a Ooze somewhere in the grave (think with a smallpox), he didn't extract it, strange... I managed to get a Griselbrand in the grave to shallow grave it. Still no Surgical... Attacked with the Griselbrand (I think the tombstalker was untapped) he didn't block, so I could only use his D7 a couple of times. But he was going to kill me next turn. Couldn't find the pieces to combo. Especially since there was a pithing needle on Ooze, so I had to find a decay as well. Was brainstorming/fetching/pondering/probing to get the crap away. Had 1 entombs and exhume left to do something with. Thought about getting imp to block the tombstalker with (ofcourse giving him flying) to give me a extra turn. But I entombed cabal therapy, flashed it back, saccing grisel (preventing him to go to exile and here I stripped the smallpoxes) and then I exhumed him, to leave a blocker. He topdecked smallpox, but couldn't get the factory online so he had to sack Tombstalker. Next turn I managed to Shallow grave for the win. If he still extracted grisel, the Ooze would come in attacking and that was also enough.
    After the game I immediatly asked him why he didn't use extraction. He misread Ground Seal, and he thought that the card was active from the grave... He called it a 'brainfart' himself :-)

5th round against Reanimator (1-1)
    G1: he won simply because he started the game and was a bit faster
    G2: Oh did I love the extractions right here :-D
    G3: we couldn't finish, and in time he just couldn't kill me. Otherwise might have lost that one. Couldn't combo fast enough vs discard+counter.

6th round against ANT (2-0)
    All the top tables could ID, but I was 1 or 2 points short to ID. My opponent wasn't, so I had to play.
    G1: I went off turn 1. Didn't see his hand so didn't know what to board.
    G2: Saw his hand, didn't have any things to go off with except 2 Duress and a cabal to disrupt me, saw the hand and stripped the Duresses away (even after his brainstorm, he kept the duresses) could combo for the win.

Top8 (YAY! :-))
    Against Sneak and Show (0-2)
    G1: Tried to go a bit to fast without seeing is hand, got spell pierced or forced. After that, couldn't find a reanimation spell. Did a small misplay, but I think it wouldn't matter, lasted quite long until he emrakuled me to dead.
    G2: Tried with a hand which I think was ok, 2 reanimation spells, a brainstorm and something else. I think I pondered/stormed quite a lot this game and couldn't find any way to get guys into my grave + he played gravediggers cage on turn 1 or 2. He stomped me to dead with an Emrakul.

Got my pricesupport: an Emrakul... oh the irony...

So in the end, I made it Top 8, which I was glad about. The proof:
    http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=11388&d=264625&f=LE

Quote Originally Posted by Xod View Post
    Top8 (YAY! :-))
    Excellent, well done! So glad to see someone bring home another top 8 position, I hope I can add that feather to my hat myself soon.

I`ve had so many people naming the wrong thing with Needle/Revoker it`s not even funny. That`s not true, it`s actually hilarious. And you`re right, Probe is sooo good in this deck. In the early stages I tried cutting some, but now I think I`d play about 6 if that was legal. Boarding it out can often be correct though, we need it more in G1. Against postboard Shardless we can just drown in yard hate, and my playtesting against Reanimator told me that it`s 50/50 and whoever starts has a huge advantage, particularly postboard where it`s pretty much just a race to get Iona on the board if we`re running her (I always am). And good call with not boarding out Chrome Mox against Pox, I came to the same conclusion last time I played against it. We want to stay fast so that we can combo off before they shred our hand.

http://www.tcdecks.net/deck.php?id=19391&iddeck=147470

Spread the love :-)

Btw, the reason of leaving Chrome Mox in, was not only for the speed, but mainly to have a mana-source over serveral turns that can't be destroyed with the standard pox build.

Looks like Pin_Vlc is at it again. Damn, Vicente, well done!

Edit: Judging from his previous list, the missing card is a Swamp. Same main as last time, completely different SB.
    Last edited by Havrekjex; 01-27-2016 at 07:34 AM.

Just did a hilarious play…. Imp only creature in the yard, Ooze on the table, Devo and Shallow Grave in hand. Attack, no blocks, Shallow Grave the Imp, activate Imp to discard Devo, pump Ooze ftw.

This deck has so many weird plays.

Just did a hilarious play…. Imp only creature in the yard, Ooze on the table, Devo and Shallow Grave in hand. Attack, no blocks, Shallow Grave the Imp, activate Imp to discard Devo, pump Ooze ftw.

This deck has so many weird plays.
    Couldn't you just have discarded the Devourer to the Ooze's copy of the Imp's ability? I find that the ability to give my Ooze flying with the Pimp's ability can be relevant in situations where I'm attacking with the Ooze.

It's totally true about the weird plays though. I had a play the other night where I hit my own Sylvan Library with a Nature's Claim so I had enough life to Reanimate a Ooze and win immediately.

I'm really starting to love this deck, my only complaint is that I feel it only exists and works because of bizarre functional errata on Devourer. It kinda feels like cheating.

Quote Originally Posted by Begle1 View Post
    Couldn't you just have discarded the Devourer to the Ooze's copy of the Imp's ability?
    Hahaha. Yes. Yes, I could. I keep forgetting that Ooze gets those abilities, just like I never remember to check if my opponent has some nice activated abilities in his graveyard. That makes the play completely stupid, and the deck a lot better -_-

Quote Originally Posted by Begle1 View Post
    my only complaint is that I feel it only exists and works because of bizarre functional errata on Devourer. It kinda feels like cheating
    How so? The sacrifice isn`t part of the activated ability on the printed card nor the current errata. It was for some time according to an older errata as far as I know, but they changed it again so that it works as printed… am I missing something? The only difference I see between the printed card and the current errata is that exiling a card is part of the activation cost in the errata, but part of the effect on the card.

I`d love to see your list btw.

Hmm, I guess I've been looking at TappedOut's Devourer too much, where the power is checked as part of the ability. That means it's just the difference in counters that makes it functional errata, and that's understandable.

This one's mine.
    http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ooze-reanimator-2/

I dropped blue because I'd rather have Sylvan Library than cantrips, and I like the white splash for access to Unburial Rites. Entombing for Rites is occasionally a game winner.

My sideboarding plan is to go Junk-Midrange against anything biting down too hard on the combo, I'm not sold on the Deathrite Shamans though. I think next time I play I'll replace them in the main with Abrupt Decays, and replace them in the side with I don't know yet.

Land (17)
    3x Bayou
    1x Dryad Arbor
    1x Forest
    1x Scrubland
    3x Swamp
    4x Verdant Catacombs
    4x Windswept Heath
    Artifact (4)
    4x Lotus Petal
    Creature (11)
    3x Deathrite Shaman
    2x Griselbrand
    3x Necrotic Ooze
    1x Phyrexian Devourer
    1x Putrid Imp
    1x Triskelion
    Enchantment (3)
    3x Sylvan Library
    Sorcery (13)
    3x Buried Alive
    4x Cabal Therapy
    2x Reanimate
    3x Thoughtseize
    1x Unburial Rites
    Instant (12)
    4x Dark Ritual
    4x Entomb
    4x Shallow Grave

Sideboard:
    4x Abrupt Decay
    2x Nature's Claim
    1x Deathrite Shaman
    3x Liliana of the Veil
    3x Lingering Souls
    1x Iona, Shield of Emeria
    1x Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite

Jul 2011
    Singapore, Singapore City

I`ve had so many people naming the wrong thing with Needle/Revoker it`s not even funny.
    What do people usually name? Won't they usually just name the ooze itself?

Quote Originally Posted by movingtonewao View Post
    What do people usually name? Won't they usually just name the ooze itself?
    Usually, yes. But sometimes people name Devourer because they think that Ooze let's us activate Devourer itself in the yard. People also often name Griselbrand, which is not as much a misplay as a bad choice.
    Last edited by Havrekjex; 01-30-2016 at 11:30 AM.

Brisbane Legacy regular
    Jan 2009

Xod, Xod, Xod! Nice work!!!

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Brisbane Legacy regular
    Jan 2009

I played UR Landstill last Tue. I didn't enjoy it and went 0-2. I should have just played Oozing...

Begle, could you explain your use of Sylvan Library a bit more? In a vacuum I would have expected cantrips to be better because although Library allows you to see cards you have to pay life yo take them and life is a resource we usually want to leverage to have as many turns and see as many cards as possible. I have always thought it would be a great sideboard against slow decks that apply little pressure to your life total so you can afford to leverage your life and take cards.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Thread Information