Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: [PRIMER] Oozing

Brisbane Legacy regular
    Jan 2009
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Re: [PRIMER] Oozing

Quote Originally Posted by Karhumies View Post
    One additional thing which is in my opinion not sufficiently covered in the OP is the possibility to Reanimator-like work in the opponent's end step.

Example sequence:
    D.Rit, Entomb/PImp Griselbrand, Shallow Grave, let the opponent pass the turn to you, untap lands to get the mana to combo off.

This can come "out of nowhere".
    It sure can. Shallow Grave on a Griselbrand in the opponent's EoT is a great play and should be mentioned in the primer. As Raystar says, it's a living document, so we'll all be working on it.

Another fun way to win is discarding the combo in the cleanup step after Therapying away counterspells/things that will affect you and win in the opponent's upkeep with Entomb+Shallow Grave on Ooze. You sometimes need to do this because you don't hit enough mana off Griselbrand to win in your turn, but can utilise the discard step to get combo pieces you've draw in the yard and fast mana at instant speed in their upkeep. I have frustrated many an opponent with that, them untapping and going to draw thinking they've got a chance and me stopping them and instant-winning in their upkeep.

Brisbane Legacy regular
    Jan 2009

On a totally separate topic, playing this deck last night, even though it didn't have Blue in it, made me realise what a fun, hilarious, interactive, and competitive deck it is. So I think I want to develop my collection so that I can have it built at all times. Thing is, I don't know if I want to pimp it. In fact, I am thinking that I should do the opposite and ANTI-PIMP it. So, my question to all of you readers is, what are the most ugly, anti-pimp cards for each card in this deck that I can use. Here's my list so far:

Necrotic Ooze - English non-foil
    Triskelion - English 4th ed (because it's white-bordered)
    Phyrexian Devourer - English Alliances (because it was only printed once)
    Griselbrand - English non-foil (because all other versions are all much pimper)
    Putrid Imp - Graveborn foil (because it's so ugly!)

Island and Swamps - no idea, need opinions on the ugliest art white-bordered versions of these
    USeas and Bayous - English revised
    Fetches - all new printings where available. English of course.
    Lotus Petal - English non-foil (because the foil version is much pimper)
    Dark Ritual - English fifth edition (UGLY!)
    Chrome Mox - English non-foil

Brainstorm - 5th ed English of course (UGLY!)
    Ponder - English latest version (the later the better)
    Gitaxian Probe - English non-foil

Cabal Therapy, Entomb, Buried Alive, Exhume - Graveborn!
    Reanimate - Battle Royale (white-bordered goodness)
    Shallow Grave - English

There's nothing much you can do with the sideboard except to ensure the THoughtseize is Theros, the Iona and Extractions are MMII.

Then the deck would be truly disgusting. So, suggestions?

Site Contributor
    Sep 2009
    London, UK

I went to play to my LGS yesterday night and it wasn't my most successful trip with Oozing...

I finished 1-3...here you go with a quick report

R1: Shardless BUG

G1: easy win through Buried Alive+Reanimate
    G2: I just can't see the light...I don't draw a single reanimation spell and my Ooze gets countered
    G3: Mulligan to 6 and he has 2 pieces of discard a shaman and a Leyline...I manage to reanimate a Griselbrand but I'm only able to draw 7 before he casts the Leyline and I draw 3 lands and a Lotus Petal......

R2: Canadian

G1: I manage to shallow grave a Griselbrand through Daze, Spell Snare and Force of Will and I win from there.
    G2: I make an idiotic mistake and I deserve to die
    G3: I keep a bad hand and I don't see the light...again

R3: BUG Delver

G1: Mulligan to 6. He has two FoW in hand but I muddle the waters a bit and he can't understand what I'm playing until I buried alive and reanimate.
    G2: Mulligan to 6.I manage to take counters out of his hand but I never see the missing combo pieces
    G3: Mulligan to 5 and I manage to draw in sequence: Triskelion, Devourer and Griselbrand...he has Loam + Wasteland against my hand of 1 Bayou...not much to be done....

R4: Homebrew Storm

G1: I discard his manamorphose and he doesn't see any additional draw spell for a couple of turns while I have very little gas. He eventually manages to generate 18 goblins but I combo on my turn with Buried Alive + Shallow Grave
    G2: I have Thoughtseize, Duress and Cabal Therapy and he never gets out of those

I'm not sure what happened yesterday night. I definitely played bad and made a ton of mistakes (playing after a day of work is probably not ideal), but it seemed that Oozing wasn't willing to co-operate with me...

Also: I need to remember that Shardless BUG players are now bringing in 4 Meddling Mage...gotta side in those Massacre next time...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Oozing HQ: http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...-PRIMER-Oozing
    Oozing videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC48...fHPTElBw53lkhg

Quote Originally Posted by pandaman View Post
    On a totally separate topic, playing this deck last night, even though it didn't have Blue in it, made me realise what a fun, hilarious, interactive, and competitive deck it is. So I think I want to develop my collection so that I can have it built at all times. Thing is, I don't know if I want to pimp it. In fact, I am thinking that I should do the opposite and ANTI-PIMP it. So, my question to all of you readers is, what are the most ugly, anti-pimp cards for each card in this deck that I can use. Here's my list so far:

Necrotic Ooze - English non-foil
    Triskelion - English 4th ed (because it's white-bordered)
    Phyrexian Devourer - English Alliances (because it was only printed once)
    Griselbrand - English non-foil (because all other versions are all much pimper)
    Putrid Imp - Graveborn foil (because it's so ugly!)

Island and Swamps - no idea, need opinions on the ugliest art white-bordered versions of these
    USeas and Bayous - English revised
    Fetches - all new printings where available. English of course.
    Lotus Petal - English non-foil (because the foil version is much pimper)
    Dark Ritual - English fifth edition (UGLY!)
    Chrome Mox - English non-foil

Brainstorm - 5th ed English of course (UGLY!)
    Ponder - English latest version (the later the better)
    Gitaxian Probe - English non-foil

Cabal Therapy, Entomb, Buried Alive, Exhume - Graveborn!
    Reanimate - Battle Royale (white-bordered goodness)
    Shallow Grave - English

There's nothing much you can do with the sideboard except to ensure the THoughtseize is Theros, the Iona and Extractions are MMII.

Then the deck would be truly disgusting. So, suggestions?
    Use Heavily Played and Damaged cards and play without protectors of course.
    Funny thing is that I consider white-bordered Brainstorms and Triskelion a pimp, as I am crazy about clear, mint white-bordered cards.
    So, without blue cantrips it still works? I was going to try it, but pretty tired of just adding the same 8 cantrips into each combo-deck I play.

Brisbane Legacy regular
    Jan 2009

Of course it works without Blue. You'd have to find a better card/s for Sign in Blood, though, it was shit. I think White Border is OK, unless you get beat to shit ones like I'm planning to!

Brisbane Legacy regular
    Jan 2009

And this isn't just ANY combo deck. It's Necrotic Ooze!

Of course it works without Blue. You'd have to find a better card/s for Sign in Blood, though, it was shit. I think White Border is OK, unless you get beat to shit ones like I'm planning to!
    For the manacost of Sign in Blood and no life loss you can play Sensei's Divining Top to draw the best out of three cards. And it's good, if things went grindy.
    For just speeding up Probes are good. Also it can be okay for "presiding" some Decays, so our bad match-ups become much less difficult.

Nov 2010
    Japan

On a totally separate topic, playing this deck last night, even though it didn't have Blue in it, made me realise what a fun, hilarious, interactive, and competitive deck it is. So I think I want to develop my collection so that I can have it built at all times. Thing is, I don't know if I want to pimp it. In fact, I am thinking that I should do the opposite and ANTI-PIMP it. So, my question to all of you readers is, what are the most ugly, anti-pimp cards for each card in this deck that I can use.
    If you want the deck to look truly awful, I would say that 4th Edition Triskelion is far more respectable to me than an M11 or a Duel Deck Triskelion, especially if your deck is filled with white bordered Dark Rituals and Brainstorms. I'd probably use a Graveborn Swamp and Islands from either a Duel Deck or whatever the newest set out is.

Brisbane Legacy regular
    Jan 2009

Oh, Duel Deck Trisk, feral. I've gone one, it's going in.

Brisbane Legacy regular
    Jan 2009

Also, Sign in Blood could definitely be Gitaxian Probe. At least you get to look at their hand and know when to just jam it. Dark Confidant is probably terrible in the sideboard, too, because removal gets left in. Maybe you could play an Iona or two and some more discard/Surgical Extraction. I wonder how Serum Powder would go (totally not serious about that last suggestion).

Brisbane Legacy regular
    Jan 2009

Raystar, hard luck on your local. Sometimes it just doesn't come for you, and that's the nature of combo decks. Heads up, keep crushing MODO!

Also, what do you think of my proposed list and sideboarding strategies? I wrote that in haste with one hand while eating lunch so I don't think it's all going to be correct and accurate (both grammatically and strategically speaking) but I think it's going to serve me reasonably well. I haven't pulled out the Style and Class for a long while and there are a lot of new players who have entered the local Legacy scene in the meantime. Graveyard hate is also at an all time low. So it might just be a good choice. And I bloody love the deck, so as much fun as it would be to draw my entire deck and win with Laboratory Maniac, I am Oozing for sure.

I decided on a second Thoughtseize in the flex slot. I disagree with your choice of Duress - often they Brainstorm in response to your discard and if it's Thoughtseize Show and Tell I'll undoubtedly go on top. If they have the Omniscience it will too. Of course, if they have SnT and Emrakul they'll go on, but with Thoughtzeize you can take an Emrakul if they have all three but with Duress they'll leave Emrakul in hand and you can't touch it.

I've just been reviewing "Therapy Sessions" by Caleb Durward to fully sharpen up my Therapy game. I think I have it down.

Site Contributor
    Sep 2009
    London, UK

Raystar, hard luck on your local. Sometimes it just doesn't come for you, and that's the nature of combo decks. Heads up, keep crushing MODO!

Also, what do you think of my proposed list and sideboarding strategies? I wrote that in haste with one hand while eating lunch so I don't think it's all going to be correct and accurate (both grammatically and strategically speaking) but I think it's going to serve me reasonably well. I haven't pulled out the Style and Class for a long while and there are a lot of new players who have entered the local Legacy scene in the meantime. Graveyard hate is also at an all time low. So it might just be a good choice. And I bloody love the deck, so as much fun as it would be to draw my entire deck and win with Laboratory Maniac, I am Oozing for sure.

I decided on a second Thoughtseize in the flex slot. I disagree with your choice of Duress - often they Brainstorm in response to your discard and if it's Thoughtseize Show and Tell I'll undoubtedly go on top. If they have the Omniscience it will too. Of course, if they have SnT and Emrakul they'll go on, but with Thoughtzeize you can take an Emrakul if they have all three but with Duress they'll leave Emrakul in hand and you can't touch it.

I've just been reviewing "Therapy Sessions" by Caleb Durward to fully sharpen up my Therapy game. I think I have it down.
    Hehe, when I woke up this morning (still hadn't got my coffee and I was planning to work from home) I started MODO and got my vengeance on a Junk player

I actually like your sideboarding strategy a lot, if you are ok with it I'll incorporate it in the primer. I've also started to hit the probes while sideboarding.

On the thoughtseize/duress topic: I see where you are coming from and I can concur. To be honest I think I'll stay on 1 thoughtseize and double the Iona...it's better than an additional discard against Omnitell and they are everywhere now...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brisbane Legacy regular
    Jan 2009

You know, that's not a bad idea, the second Iona. You can put it in off SnT if you have it in hand, them they HAVE to have that Emrakul or they are just stuck. I am lending my SnTs to my friend who's playing Sneak 'n Show with them, so it might be good against that, too. I've just always had so much success at destroying Omni and Storm with discard that I am fixated on Thoughtseize. I wouldn't even have the Iona in there if you hadn't been touting it so fervently. I trust your judgement and results with it.

It sure can. Shallow Grave on a Griselbrand in the opponent's EoT is a great play and should be mentioned in the primer. As Raystar says, it's a living document, so we'll all be working on it.

Another fun way to win is discarding the combo in the cleanup step after Therapying away counterspells/things that will affect you and win in the opponent's upkeep with Entomb+Shallow Grave on Ooze. You sometimes need to do this because you don't hit enough mana off Griselbrand to win in your turn, but can utilise the discard step to get combo pieces you've draw in the yard and fast mana at instant speed in their upkeep. I have frustrated many an opponent with that, them untapping and going to draw thinking they've got a chance and me stopping them and instant-winning in their upkeep.
    It's probably worth mentioning (for the people new to the deck/thread) that sometimes when you do this you draw a bunch of cards off Ooze copying Griselbrand's ability (not Griselbrand itself), and if you got that Ooze into play from a Shallow Grave then it will get exiled before the end-of-turn discard and the combo won't work. (Which is another reason to play Putrid Imp).

But if you have another Shallow Grave in hand and another Ooze in the graveyard, you can get away with letting the original Ooze get exiled and in their upkeep reanimating another one

Quote Originally Posted by kombatkiwi View Post
    It's probably worth mentioning (for the people new to the deck/thread) that sometimes when you do this you draw a bunch of cards off Ooze copying Griselbrand's ability (not Griselbrand itself)...
    It's also worth mentioning that a Grafdigger's Cage does not stop Necrotic Ooze from using a Griselbrand's ability from the graveyard. Something worth remembering if you use Reanimate into Griselbrand in game 1 and the opponent has no idea you are actually an Ooze deck, thinking you are Reanimator or Tin Fins instead.

Site Contributor
    Sep 2009
    London, UK

Quote Originally Posted by Karhumies View Post
    It's also worth mentioning that a Grafdigger's Cage does not stop Necrotic Ooze from using a Griselbrand's ability from the graveyard. Something worth remembering if you use Reanimate into Griselbrand in game 1 and the opponent has no idea you are actually an Ooze deck, thinking you are Reanimator or Tin Fins instead.
    ssssshhhhhhhhhhhh....don't give away too many secrets

The same is valid for Pithing Needle and Phyrexian Revoker that are often assigned to stop Griselbrand ability instead of the Ooze.

Feb 2013
    Warsaw, Ny

Just a thought. I been trying to make a modern deck list similar to what you are trying here. Tnstead of triskelion combo I go with Borborygmos Enraged and discard lands from grislebrand's draw effects. I don't know if borborygmos would enhance this legacy deck or not.

Brisbane Legacy regular
    Jan 2009

It's been discussed, and the consensus is that it's not as good as Trisk/Devourer because it's not as efficient (you don't always have enough land to kill) and not castable (many of us win gamed with Triskelion and Devourer beats).

Nov 2010
    Japan

Quote Originally Posted by lost_ronin_soul View Post
    Just a thought. I been trying to make a modern deck list similar to what you are trying here. Tnstead of triskelion combo I go with Borborygmos Enraged and discard lands from grislebrand's draw effects. I don't know if borborygmos would enhance this legacy deck or not.
    I don't think it would. My first thought is that one of the weaknesses of these sorts of renanimator decks is that you have to play a bunch of cards that aren't good to draw, and Borborygmos is a perfect example of that by being mostly uncastable in this deck--at least you have a chance in hell of reaching 6 mana to cast Triskelion or Phyrexian Devourer. What advantages do you believe Borborygmos has in this deck, to the extent that adding this dead draw becomes worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by lost_ronin_soul View Post
    Just a thought. I been trying to make a modern deck list similar to what you are trying here. ... Borborygmos Enraged
    The cards I might try out from the Modern Ooze deck in Legacy would be Soul Spike and Fury of the Horde. However, those cards are win-more because they require a Griselbrand to function. They can be run in Modern because the Modern format lacks Brainstorm, Ponder, Preordain, etc. decent filtering effects and something has to be included to get up to 60 cards.

Thread Information