Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: [PRIMER] Oozing

Brisbane Legacy regular
    Jan 2009
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Re: [PRIMER] Oozing

So, how about Mentor man-plan from the Tin Fins guys?

Maindeck of:

1 Swamp
    1 Island
    3 Underground Sea
    1 Tundra
    1 Scrubland
    4 Polluted Delta
    2 Marsh Flats
    2 Flooded Strand
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Dark Ritual
    1 Chrome Mox

4 Entomb
    3 Buried Alive

4 Shallow Grave
    2 Reanimate

3 Necrotic Ooze
    1 Griselbrand
    1 Phyrexian Devourer
    1 Triskelion
    1 Putrid Imp

4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Cabal Therapy

4 Brainstorm
    3 Ponder
    1 Sensei's Divining Top

Sideboard

4 Monastery Mentor
    3 Dark Confidant
    2 Chain of Vapor
    2 Serenity
    2 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Flusterstorm

Standard sideboard into the Mentor plan would be:

-3 Necrotic Ooze -1 Phyrexian Devourer -1 Triskelion -1 Putrid Imp -3 Buried Alive -1 Reanimate

+4 Monastery Mentor +3 Dark Confidant +2 Swords to Plowshares +2 Flusterstorm

Sideboard into standard anti-hate would be:

-2 Gitaxian Probe -1 Reanimate -1 Buried Alive -1 Chrome Mox
    +2 Serenity +2 Chain of Vapor

It might actually be STRONGER in Oozing because we have a way better matchup than Tin Fins G1 against Deathrite Shaman. And if it's whipping Miracles G2 and 3 that's fantastic for us. I don't often lose G1s.

(We could even replace Reanimate with Exhume to strengthen our G1 matchup against Chalice of the Void.)

We just have to figure out what matchups to use the Mentor plan against.

I did it boys, I finally made a top 8 with Oozing in a significant tournament! Full dedication to the deck, practice, this thread and more than a little bit of luck got me there.

Mainboard

3 Necrotic Ooze
    1 Triskelion
    1 Phyrexian Devourer
    1 Putrid Imp
    1 Griselbrand

4 Entomb
    3 Buried Alive
    4 Shallow Grave
    2 Reanimate
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Ponder
    4 Brainstorm
    3 Cabal Therapy
    1 Thoughtseize
    1 Duress

4 Lotus Petal
    4 Dark Ritual
    2 Underground Sea
    2 Bayou
    1 Island
    2 Swamp
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Verdant Catacombs

Sideboard

3 Abrupt Decay
    3 Ground Seal
    2 Exhume
    2 Reverent Silence
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Massacre
    1 Iona

47 players showed up at the event, which made for 6 rounds of swiss. Sorry for no play-by-play, I can barely remember the matchups right now. I'll take questions if any instead of trying to remember it all, you know how most if it goes anyway.

Round 1 - Lands - 2-0
    Round 2 - UG Infect - 2-1
    Round 3 - Jund - 2-0
    Round 4 - 5c midrange (BG core) - 2-1
    Round 5 - Miracles - ID (yes please!)
    Round 6 - ANT - ID

4-0-2 after the six rounds of swiss.

Quarterfinals - bye, my opponent had to catch a flight back to Denmark. He was on Miracles.
    Semifinals - Maverick - 2-1
    Finals - Miracles - 0-2 (did I ever have that coming after dodging two pairings against Miracles)

Took home a Savannah and a Batterskull.

I'll try to add the top 8 on some decklist page to contribute to Necrotic Ooze's upcoming world dominance.
    Last edited by Havrekjex; 03-13-2016 at 07:19 PM.

Brisbane Legacy regular
    Jan 2009

Great work on your result! 4-0 and 2 IDs, strong performance. The Ooze is strong in you!

It pretty much reads:
    : I win next turn.

I don`t think it looks playable for us, but it`s worth a thought.

I don't know, maybe as a one of. In the chance you draw it with 2 DR or a DR with sufficient mana, petal, ...

What do you need as 3 cards? Thinking that we don't have the key cards in our hand or graveyard, we need:

Buried Alive, DR, Shallow Grave, with a petal on the field and 2 mana open... (one mana with reanimate)
    Shallow Grave, 2 Entombs, but again, you need mana open.
    Or the pieces in our hand so you can dump them. So after a griselbrand, it might be an option (where you hopefully have all the mana open to do whatever you want)

Ok, when writing this I realized, to much "if's" to get this going.

But I'm willing to test the mentor plan. Missing the cards currently, and will need the Monk tokens from Yummytokens to get this going

7 mana is a lot, it`s uncastable without some combination of Rituals and Petals, and even then we almost certainly have to wait a turn to untap to play the tutored cards. I was thinking something like Buried Alive/Entomb+Reanimate/Shallow Grave+discard/Ritual, depending on what we`ve accomplished so far in the game and how many lands we have. I guess the hardest part about Behold the Beyond is finding a scenario where Dark Petition isn`t just better, and I`m not playing that. So yeah, I`m not going to test Behold unless somebody does a great job convincing me.

The Mentor plan looks tasty, I can`t wait to hear how it works out for you in testing. How well can we expect that plan to work out against Miracles post board? It doesn`t take much to improve our current plan. I might try it online as soon as they debug Devourer. I want better game against Miracles so bad right now.

So far I only had 2 games against Miracles, (the day I Top 8'ed the list), one round I went of fast 2 times and they had 2 protection (game 2 of that round he put a pithing needle on Triskelion, I proceded with the combo, and ofcourse 'Judge!...' I was grinning like hell :-D) and round 2, I won 2 times on turn one :-D

Game 1, I probed, saw no counters, and reanimated a grissel, he scooped, game 2, he played an Island and I had DR, 2 Entombs, Shallow grave, a land and 2 petals. Fetched a USea, played the 2 Petals, he dazed one. I DR'ed, Entomb for Ooze, Shallow Grave, attack phase, before damage, sacced petal, entomb for triskellion, hit for 60 :-D

Brisbane Legacy regular
    Jan 2009

Quick update: no fix on Devourer on MTGO yet guys. I'm currently playing Omnitell. It's not anywhere near as exciting...

Not even upgraded to "scheduled to fix" on Thursday's bug blog. Time to send another bitchy e-mail I guess.

Brisbane Legacy regular
    Jan 2009

I wanted to add this deck list I found while trolling the Internet for inspiration, for posterity and so I don't forget about it:

http://www.tcdecks.net/deck.php?id=9534&iddeck=69571

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Brisbane Legacy regular
    Jan 2009

For laughs:

BRg Oozing

Maindeck (60)

3 Necrotic Ooze
    1 Phyrexian Devourer
    1 Triskelion
    1 Putrid Imp
    1 Griselbrand

4 Entomb
    4 Shallow Grave
    2 Reanimate
    2 Exhume
    3 Buried Alive
    4 Burning Wish

4 Gitaxian Probe
    3 Cabal Therapy
    3 Thoughtseize

2 Swamp
    1 Mountain
    3 Badlands
    2 Bayou
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    3 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Lotus Petal
    1 Chrome Mox

Sideboard (15)

1 Buried Alive
    1 Reanimate
    1 Exhume
    1 Thoughtseize
    1 Cabal Therapy
    1 Massacre
    1 Pyroclasm
    3 Ground Seal
    2 Reverent Silence
    3 Abrupt Decay

I have never playtested this, but I will once the fix Devourer on MODO.

There should probably be an Overmaster in the sideboard.

Brisbane Legacy regular
    Jan 2009

Another update on MODO Oozing. No set date on a fix. But they've acknowledged that it is affecting The Mimeoplasm in Commander so it's got greater impact than just us now. But they mentioned that they would have to see how SOI went bug-wise before they address us.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

That sucks but I goes not too surprising that MODO is still terrible...

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

I noticed on Raystar's primer that Chrome Mox almost always seems to come out in g2 and G3. Is that how the rest of you guys tend to sideboard as well?

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Esper3k View Post
    I noticed on Raystar's primer that Chrome Mox almost always seems to come out in g2 and G3. Is that how the rest of you guys tend to sideboard as well?
    I do this frequently in Tin Fins as well. CMox is for the streamlined combo, but in SB games they tend to play slower where the burst speed of Mox is desired. Also it's terrible vs control.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    I do this frequently in Tin Fins as well. CMox is for the streamlined combo, but in SB games they tend to play slower where the burst speed of Mox is desired. Also it's terrible vs control.
    Fair enough. Are there any matchups where you keep it in because you're going all in on speed? Maybe against non-blue decks where the card disadvantage doesn't matter as much but speed does?

Against Pox, it is really good to keep in.

And against Storm/ANT, you are faster then them.

Brisbane Legacy regular
    Jan 2009

Re. my updates on MODO Oozing, through various emails I have established a single contact person about the issue rather than my enquiries being allocated through the customer support ticketing system. I hope that helps me to continue to put pressure on them to set a concrete time frame for a fix.

Re. Chrome Mox, I can't stress enough how important it is G1. It is a significant help to ensuring you hit the necessary mana post-GrizDraw, because you're usually drawing into an empty mana pool and you've usually burned a Ritual or Petal (or both) already.

G2, as has been said, needs to be approached depending on what your role in the matchup is. In my view, you can take it out v. Storm because if you don't hit enough mana to combo you usually hit a bunch of Therapy, shred their hand, and set yourself up to combo the next turn. Against decks that attack your mana base and that don't have Abrupt Decay, it's excellent to leave in as an undisruptable mana source. The card disadvantage is mitigated by allowing you to continually play out your spells. So against decks like Eldrazi, Sneak n Show, Painter, and Pox I leave it in.

I hope that gives you a better idea of my strategy re. Chrome Mox? Bear in mind that I'm only one of a number of Oozers, and certainly not the most skilled, so make sure you get the thoughts of others too.

I've been experimenting with cutting Mox, but I've yet to come to a conclusion, since I don't get to play Legacy as often as I'd like these days. The reasoning isn't that Mox is bad - it absolutely isn't - but that I really want a fifth and maybe a sixth discard spell, and something's gotta go.

Please note that the fact that we're siding it out often does NOT mean that it's not good. As others have noted, Mox is better in G1 because we want to go fast and reliable, while in most post-board games we have to go slower to navigate our way through the hate they will bring in. In those games we trade more cards, so the card disadvantage hits us harder. And, of course, something has to come out.

A quick browse through this thread shows that it's the most controversial card in the deck by a huge margin. That and Putrid Imp are the two cards people most often cut from the RayStar 60 in the primer. (Do not cut Imp, people, seriously!)

Brisbane Legacy regular
    Jan 2009

I echo that. Don't cut PImp, the little guy is integral. Also, if you don't want to cut Mox, just play a 61 card list. I always do. Like this:

Maindeck (61)

2 Swamp
    1 Island
    3 Underground Sea
    2 Bayou
    4 Polluted Delta
    3 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Lotus Petal
    1 Chrome Mox

3 Necrotic Ooze
    1 Phyrexian Devourer
    1 Triskelion
    1 Griselbrand
    1 Putrid Imp

4 Entomb
    3 Buried Alive
    4 Shallow Grave
    2 Reanimate

4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Gitaxian Probe

3 Cabal Therapy
    2 Thoughtseize

Sideboard (15)

3 Abrupt Decay
    3 Reverent Silence
    3 Ground Seal
    2 Massacre
    2 Exhume
    2 x meta

So, the new DTB is out and Eldrazi is raiding the format like nobody's business. How does that place us? They have 12 cards we care about: Chalice, Thorn, and Thought-Knot Seer. Do you think we're equipped to beat the deck? We're pretty quick.

Miracles is Miracles, and you just need to get your Decays and Reverent Silences and hope for the best.

Grixis Delver folds to Ground Seal, I understand, and Raystar tells me that the matchup is actually quite reasonable as a result.

You can just outrace or Massacre Death & Taxes, so I am not particularly worried about that. The last tournament I played where I went to the finals I beat I think three D&T and lost to the fourth in the final, so I consider it pretty good.

So I don't think we're doing too bad?

Thread Information