Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: [PRIMER] Oozing

Re: [PRIMER] Oozing

Quote Originally Posted by pandaman View Post
    what?? Does it really work??????
    Yes! I'm impressed with WotC. Everyone loves to give them shit, but it only took them three months to fix this complicated bug /s

Brisbane Legacy regular
    Jan 2009
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

So good to be Oozing online at last. Looking forward to smashing a couple of leagues this week. Will report back with thoughts.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Brisbane Legacy regular
    Jan 2009

So, thoughts from a week of Dailies. I've managed to 3-2 a couple but no better. Miracles is boarding Surgical Extraction most of the time instead of Rest in Peace, which makes the matchup a lot harder. I have tended to want Ground Seal in most Miracles matches, which means the Miracles slots are gummed up by choosing what ratios of Abrupt Decay v Reverent Silence. Silence is best used to kill CB+RiP at the same time, so perhaps Silence isn't needed as a 3-of, better as a 2-of maybe?

The real problem with Miracles is that you can face RiP, Surgical, or Containment Priest, or a combination of all three. And you also have to battle Flusterstorm. I question the utility of trying to address Extraction with Ground Seal, honestly. Thoughtseize completely negates Flusterstorm while giving you perfect information, so I'll actually considering revising my board to 3 Abrupt Decay and 3 Thoughtseize. What does everyone think?

Ithink that Surgical Extraction is less effective than Thoughtseize, so I've been running two of those. If I dropped a Silence I could add a third Seize to strengthen the combo matchup while giving me more options against control.

My 3-2 finishes have come in the past two days, which I feel is indicative of me remembering the correct plays. I'm still losing to misplays and, even worse, misclicks. So I would be winning a bit more IRL than online, because IRL you can't get a Gitaxian Probe instead of a Griselbrand by accident!

Since so many graveyard hate cards don't require colored mana - Leyline, Extraction, Cage, Crypt etc. - hate cards being unpredictable between archetypes is a huge challenge for us, since playing around hate is our game. We do it well, but sometimes you get blindsided by unusual choices like Leyline in Elves and just straight up lose. Extraction in Miracles is a problem, I definitely think that we can't afford to side in Seal on top of everything else, hand disruption will have to do. I've been running a mainboard Duress online lately and valuing it highly for that reason plus the fact that I still stumble upon some build I don't know and I don't have any idea what to blind snipe with Therapy. Thoughtseize and Duress are great cards for us, and replacing some Therapies and/or having extras in the side is a great idea. Finding room is always a problem, of course.

This deck seems to suck against Miracles no matter how you flip it though.

Brisbane Legacy regular
    Jan 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Havrekjex View Post
    Since so many graveyard hate cards don't require colored mana - Leyline, Extraction, Cage, Crypt etc. - hate cards being unpredictable between archetypes is a huge challenge for us, since playing around hate is our game. We do it well, but sometimes you get blindsided by unusual choices like Leyline in Elves and just straight up lose. Extraction in Miracles is a problem, I definitely think that we can't afford to side in Seal on top of everything else, hand disruption will have to do. I've been running a mainboard Duress online lately and valuing it highly for that reason plus the fact that I still stumble upon some build I don't know and I don't have any idea what to blind snipe with Therapy. Thoughtseize and Duress are great cards for us, and replacing some Therapies and/or having extras in the side is a great idea. Finding room is always a problem, of course.

This deck seems to suck against Miracles no matter how you flip it though.
    A lot of the Eldrazi are runnin LotV to...

I beat Miracles when I get really aggressive, I find. Both in mulls and playstyle. But I agree the matchup still stinks.

I wish we had a cheap, uncounterable bounce spell, that would be great against Leyline and everything we use Decay for. We just need that one turn around graveyard hate permanents. But Chain of Vapor fizzles against Chalice and CB, plus it can backfire if we've got an Ooze on the table ready to rock, and Wipe Away isn't exactly a bargain at three mana. I guess Wipe Away would maybe be a card if we wanted to go straight UB for some reason.

Brisbane Legacy regular
    Jan 2009

I wish we had a cheap, uncounterable bounce spell, that would be great against Leyline and everything we use Decay for. We just need that one turn around graveyard hate permanents. But Chain of Vapor fizzles against Chalice and CB, plus it can backfire if we've got an Ooze on the table ready to rock, and Wipe Away isn't exactly a bargain at three mana. I guess Wipe Away would maybe be a card if we wanted to go straight UB for some reason.
    It's not a bad idea. I mean, it deals with any permanent before you want to go off. It just means that you have to go right there and then. Sometimes I combo over multiple turns using Decay on a lock piece. And it's a turn slower...

Yeah, the EOT Decay into untap, go off happens all the time.

4 Bloodstained Mire
    4 Polluted Delta
    2 Swamp
    1 Island
    2 Bayou
    2 Underground Sea
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Dark Ritual

1 Putrid Imp
    1 Griselbrand
    1 Phyrexian Devourer
    1 Triskelion
    3 Necrotic Ooze

4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Gitaxian Probe

2 Reanimate
    4 Shallow Grave
    4 Entomb
    3 Buried Alive

2 Cabal Therapy
    3 Abrupt Decay

Sideboard:
    2 Cabal Therapy
    2 Reverent Silence
    2 Exhume
    1 Duress
    2 Massacre
    1 Necrotic Ooze
    1 Pithing Needle
    3 Ground Seal
    Probably taking this to the GP in Prague (the main event I mean) I have one FNM and one bigger tournament before Prague to test the AD main.

The only thing I'm concerned about is the SB. We have 3 spots the way I see it. Card number 15 in the SB, the Pithing Needle (don't see it so necessary, maybe to stop some hate, but not so convinced, we have our AD's for that) and the Necrotic Ooze. I was thinking of filling these spots with 2 Thoughtseizes and a Chrome Mox. To increase our matchup against Storm. The Mox pure for the speed, but since we usually board it out, I don't really know.

Or we can put some added protection to help our combo going off. Maybe a Autumn's Veil, but that also requires that one green mana that was discussed earlier. I was thinking about 2 other card (but that need to be put in the sideboard as 2 or 3 copies) one being Pact of Negation. Cost us nothing extra and if we are going off we don't have to care about the next turn. Otherwise we are screwed of course. I think it fits better than a FoW (because for this we need another blue card). The other card I was thinking about, Chancellor of the Annex. It's a dead draw normally (unless you can reanimate it) but it stops the turn 1 hate cards to be played against us. Ok, now that I'm writing it, I also think it's a bad idea. :-)

So:

Sideboard:
    2 Cabal Therapy
    2 Reverent Silence
    2 Exhume
    1 Duress
    2 Massacre
    3 Pact of Negation
    3 Ground Seal

What do you guys think about this? The only problem I see is that we need to put to many cards from our sideboard in. But then again, it might improve our post-board matchup better against counters, so we might need to get 2 Oozes out. (It doesn't matter if you have 3 Oozes, and they extirpate it out of our grave, or Surgical Extract it, (ok you can play around this))

Seriously, is it a bad idea? Worth a thought?

Tried the maindeck AD's and put 3 Pacts of Negaction in the side.

Last Friday I was normally playing a different deck, but since some counterheavy decks were present, I thought I would give the new MD and SB a try.

Played against:
    BUG 1-2 Loss
    Nic Fit 2-0 Win
    Shardless BUG 0-2 Loss
    Storm 2-0 Win

It was a strange night, and needles to say, I never needed that AD's in G1. And never got to use the Pacts (or sided them in)

The loss against BUG was that I couldn't find my outs in serveral turns. Had most things setup, but I think I mulled here a bit wrong (being, not enough)

Nic Fit wasn't even a challenge, that game went fast.

Shardless BUG was strange, we both mulled to 6, he was stuck with a Vision and a Tropical, and didn't draw a second land until the Vision resolved, I had maybe 10 turns to go of, I Brainstormed, Pondered, Probed, shuffled, but nothing :-(
    2nd game was the same thing, he was rather slow but I couldn't get the combo going (not because of hate) but just because I couldn't find an Entomb or Buried alive. I think I hardcasted my Oozes both games.

And Storm was funny, he was going off in turn 2, while I had an Entomb and Shallow Grave in hand, also to go off turn 2. He went Ad Nauseum, drew tutors, Tendrils, and such, needed one more mana to kill me, and then he drew a Dark Petition... When he only had 5 lives left! I was at first laughing but then apologized. Luckily I know my opponent well and we both laughed about it.

Game 2 he disrupted me (discarded my shallow grave) next draw: Shallow Grave. Went of in turn 2.

So I had 3 games where I had plenty of time to draw my kill, where half of it was already 'deployed' or in my hand. Even with the blue filtering, I just couldn't draw it. Against Nic Fit, the filtering did his work.

The Ooze and the Needle are definitely the most uncertain slots in that sideboard I posted. Moving the Decays to the main freed up some slots I didn`t quite know what to do with, and I didn`t really give it a lot of thought before posting because I wanted quick feedback. The Needle is never bad and never amazing, Top is the only huge thing it deals with that doesn`t get dealt with just as well by either Seal or Decay. The fourth Ooze is most definitely a poorly spent slot, that was a throw-in, though it would have been good for you against 50% BUG.

I`ve been considering a counter or two in the side as well, actually. The #1 question I get when playing this deck is why I don`t play FoW. I don`t like the prospect of exiling a cantrip with FoW, we`re already very high on card disadvantage, and we`re not quite high enough on blue cards to pitch. If we are to run counters, I think it`s either Pact or Swan Song/Flusterstorm. I think I like Swan Song over Flusterstorm, but when it comes to Swan Song vs. Pact, both have their merits. One mana is a lot in this deck, but I can definitely see myself losing to the Pact trigger against permission heavy decks, which is where we bring the card in.

Well done taking down Storm 2-0 with Decays over Cabal Therapies, that should be one of the most severe concessions to running Decay over discard in the main. I definitely like Decay over Therapy in the main against DRS in BUG variants.

Is anyone taking Oozing to Prague? I can't go.

Brisbane Legacy regular
    Jan 2009

Is anyone taking Oozing to Prague? I can't go.
    It's on my shortlist of decks to play. I'll at least play some grinders with it.

Aug 2011
    Valencia !

hi oozers !!!
    My new list :

Creatures [6]
    1 Phyrexian Devourer
    1 Triskelion
    2 Griselbrand
    2 Necrotic Ooze

Instants [16]
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Entomb
    4 Shallow Grave

Sorceries [18]
    1 Dark Petition
    1 Reanimate
    2 Exhume
    3 Buried Alive
    3 Duress
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Ponder

Artifacts [5]
    1 Chrome Mox
    4 Lotus Petal

Lands [15]
    1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    2 Island
    1 Misty Rainforest
    2 Swamp
    2 Underground Sea
    3 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Polluted Delta

SB
    4 Delver of secrets
    4 Dark confident
    2 Thing in the Ice
    2 Tendrils of agony
    2 Echoing Truth
    1 Iona, Shield of Emeria

MAN PLAN !

I player a little tournament, only 3 rounds .

R1 Merfolks
    Island vial pass,polluted pass, chalice @1 , i resp with dark ritual and ( entomb + shallow ) , but FOW and lose .
    SB : +iona +2 Echoing Truth , -3 cc1 .
    Entomb fow, buried alive fow . I cant do nothing xDDD .

R2 D&T
    G1 revoker on griselbrand , and fast thalia dindt let me win.
    Sb man plan without iona , -2 griselbrand - 1 triskelion -2 exhume -1 entomb -3 buried alive -1 reanimate -4 Shallow Grave

T1&T2 delver , he could kill it with 2 swords to plousares , i play more critters , 1 necrotic and 1 dark confident . I draw a lot of cards , and finally with 2 cabal terapy + flashback , tendrils for 8 and win .
    G3 return the combo .
    T1 buried, t2 reanimate and win .

R3 miracle
    G1 t1 griselbrand
    G2 Nahiri+RIP+Helm wins
    G3 Man plan eats fast !!!

troll sb !!!

Brisbane Legacy regular
    Jan 2009

Nice report pin_Vlc!

I just put the Mentor sideboard plan in and went 4-1 in the first league I played.

3 Necrotic Ooze
    1 Phyrexian Devourer
    1 Trislekion
    1 Putrid Imp

4 Entomb
    3 Buried Alive

4 Shallow Grave
    2 Reanimate

4 Brainstorm
    3 Ponder
    2 Sensei's Divining Top
    3 Gitaxian Probe

4 Cabal Therapy
    1 Thoughtseize

2 Swamp
    1 Island
    3 Underground Sea
    1 Tundra
    1 Scrubland
    4 Polluted Delta
    2 Marsh Flats
    1 Flooded Strand
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Dark Ritual
    1 Chrome Mox

Sideboard

4 Monastery Mentor
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    1 Batterskull
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    2 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Serenity

Mentor plan was strong. Lost 0-2 to Miracles. Mentor plan was good against Eldrazi.

Those lists are intriguing. I'm kind of married to Abrupt Decay, but I guess it's not that important if you don't rely on the Ooze combo post-board.

No Griselbrand, Panda? And can you show us how you sideboarded against different decks?

Brisbane Legacy regular
    Jan 2009

Quote Originally Posted by pandaman View Post
    Nice report pin_Vlc!

I just put the Mentor sideboard plan in and went 4-1 in the first league I played.

3 Necrotic Ooze
    1 Phyrexian Devourer
    1 Trislekion
    1 Putrid Imp
    1 Griselbrand

4 Entomb
    3 Buried Alive

4 Shallow Grave
    2 Reanimate

4 Brainstorm
    3 Ponder
    2 Sensei's Divining Top
    3 Gitaxian Probe

4 Cabal Therapy
    1 Thoughtseize

2 Swamp
    1 Island
    3 Underground Sea
    1 Tundra
    1 Scrubland
    4 Polluted Delta
    2 Marsh Flats
    1 Flooded Strand
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Dark Ritual
    1 Chrome Mox

Sideboard

4 Monastery Mentor
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    1 Batterskull
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    2 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Serenity

Mentor plan was strong. Lost 0-2 to Miracles. Mentor plan was good against Eldrazi.

Brisbane Legacy regular
    Jan 2009

Forgot to add Griselbrand. He was in there. Basically you transform by pulling out all the combo except 1Griz4Entomb2Reanimate. Then if they play creatures you bring in the StP, if they play White or Counterbalance you bring in Serenity, and if they play instants or sorceries you can counter you bring in Flusterstorm.

Entomb for Cabal Therapy with Mentor and a couple of non-summoning sick tokens on board is pretty brutal. You get a pump+token for the Entomb, then a pump for the Therapy and you've just sac'd your summoning sick token anyway. One turn I EoT flipped Top to draw Entomb, cast Top, cast Entomb for Therapy, cast Thoughtseize, then cast Therapy. Swung for 17.

Brisbane Legacy regular
    Jan 2009

Played another league to a 4-1 finish, too. Mentor still good.

Nice results, might try the man plan also. With the delvers, BoB's and Tendrils. I will definitly take the deck to Prague, but I'm currently playing something else ;-) But I might do some grinding with the Ooze.

Thread Information