Thread: Repeal

Repeal as a sideboard card?

I've being having trouble with a Dark Depths/Into the North deck in my local store, and for two weeks in a row i didn`t got to hit money prize because of it. So, as far as i can tell i've lost at least 40 bucks because of it. And i think that i could "cheat" by adding some hate to my sideboard.

So i was thinking what i could do to make the match-up more favorable. So i am wondering about playing a couple of Repeal in the side, and if it would be reasonable to do so. The list i am running is UWR Delver. (Yeah, the 4 Wastelands and 1 Pithing Needle didn`t get the job done).

So my question are:
    - Is Repeal a valuable sideboard card, or should i just stick with more Pithing Needle/Path to Exile?
    - What are the good interactions i can expect to get from it?
    - Anyone playing it, and why?

What i thought so far is that it can be good against Delver of Secrets, Dark Depths, and possibly Batterskull.
    Last edited by stall; 05-16-2015 at 10:59 AM.

Re: Repeal

Ok first your meta seems fun if a into the north deck causes problems! Legacy what a great format xD
    Second I dont know if this is the right forum but lets stretch the Card interactions part of it and talk about whats good and what is not...

Repeal is still a card! But you play 4 wastelands and maybe you play snapcaster mages; so you dont have enough mana to cast repeal for more than 1 or 2 X! Maybe vapor snag?

I remember repeal from tron decks and you are kinda the opposite deck (low mana tempo) so a X spell seems kinda odd. You dont need the cantrip if you can bounce a 20/20 token! If you manage to bounce marit la(r)ge drawing a card IS win more! Normal bounce like vapor snag can at least mess with stuff like reanimator, and with snapy you can bring it vs junk and bounce their better threats again and again -> full tempo plan!

Third! Into the north really???
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Repeal works as an answer in UB and UR lists. It handles low casting cost permanents fairly well and can turn into card advantage in the mid-game if you're trying to save a delver, DRS, goyf, etc from topdecked removal.

It doesn't manage Chalice@1 and that's a real problem.

Thanks for the answer oh great Cthulhu!

Yeah, yeah.. Into the North. Not proud to say it, but It's true, I've lost to it more than once.

Unfortunetly Vapor Snag doesnt seem to make the cut

I don't like Repeal in the general removal slot in any deck. However, if it fulfills multiple roles for you, then it's worthwhile. The two really important interactions that come to mind are:

Repeal + Sensei's Top

Tap top to draw, then Repeal top with activation on the stack. Repeal resolves first, drawing a card and putting top in your hand. Top then resolves, and you draw a card. Lets you draw one more card than you would normally see with top and repeal separately. Also potentially very nice with Mentor due to the extra cards and spells you get.

Repeal + Mystic Remora

Vintage-only, but very nice there. Repeal resets the counters on the Remora to stretch it out.

If your deck is running tops and remora, then by all means, repeal away. Otherwise, there are better options.

Won't most dark depths decks just recur it over and over again with loam or something? Repeal would only give you an extra turn if that is the case.

May 2008
    Milwaukee, WI

Just play Maze of Ith to deal with that recursion.

Honestly though, Repeal is probably a really good option. It's not narrow at all (although bounce rarely is great) and against Dark Depths it's really doing everything that you want/need a lot of times, which is slowing them down. Even though they may recur, if they don't have exploration Repeal still buys you a lot of time, and replaces itself. If chalice is an issue, Submerge is a possibility too.
    Playing Punishing Regular Miracles.

Contribute to the community Miracles Primer.

Quote Originally Posted by HdH_Cthulhu View Post
    Third! Into the north really???
    It's not actually that bad. It fetches up your Dark Depths when you need it and works as a Rampant Growth when you don't. This deck got Top 8 at an SCG Open with it, though that was more than a year ago.

bruizar

Probably really shakey but something to consider. You could try Curfew if you're running Snapcaster Mages. This way you get some extra value out of your Snaps or basically get to bounce their Marit Lage several times provided its the only creature they have in play.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    Probably really shakey but something to consider. You could try Curfew if you're running Snapcaster
    TIL there's a blue innocent blood.

So I guess this depends on your plan, but is there a reason an even more general solution like Swords to Plowshares or Path to Exile aren't an option?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

As a dark depth player repeal is annoying but not the best one cause it is blue and dark depth often plays reb/pyro maindeck.
    The best card is DEAD GONE (double card) just play two main (in the bolt space) and two side ; it is a little weaker than bolt but not so much.

If you already play white maindeck with swords some surgical extraction might do the things.

Well then, Rampant Growth into a 20/20? I like it. Can you share the mates list? 4 Waste, 4 Swords, and a Needle or two do seem enough on paper...

just play this combination in sideboard

2x pihing needle
    2x submerge
    1x repeal

along 4x waste and 4x stp in mainboard, you should be good.
    controls

Thanks for the answers guys, i`ll ask for his list next week and post here if he gives it to me ^^
    Really liked the Submerge and the Pithing Needle suggestions.

I actually like Curfew suggestion, since it get's around cards like Sejiri Steppe and Not of this world.

So many option. Karakas if you have SnT in the meta. The ways to deal with that 20/20 with UW are endless. I would try to put in cards that do double work, so something like Needle, EE, Karakas, etc.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Kanti View Post
    So many option. Karakas if you have SnT in the meta. The ways to deal with that 20/20 with UW are endless. I would try to put in cards that do double work, so something like Needle, EE, Karakas, etc.
    Minor correction: EE says destroy. Marit Lage is indestructible so EE won't do anything against it (aside from make EE's caster sad)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post
    Minor correction: EE says destroy. Marit Lage is indestructible so EE won't do anything against it (aside from make EE's caster sad)
    True.

Blood Moon
    STP
    PTE
    Pithing Needle
    Repeal
    Karakas
    Maze of Ith

We have a few good options here that can be instant speed, since we're assuming that's what you want. Needle seems best in shutting down Stage and being applicable against Miracles et al. Blood Moon is obviously very good as well.

-Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Kanti View Post
    Well then, Rampant Growth into a 20/20? I like it. Can you share the mates list? 4 Waste, 4 Swords, and a Needle or two do seem enough on paper...
    Here is the list:

Main Deck (60)

Creatures (11)

3 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Dark Confidant
    4 Vampire Hexmage
    Spells (25)

3 Pithing Needle
    3 Sensei's Divining Top
    4 Crop Rotation
    4 Inquisition of Kozilek
    4 Thoughtseize