Thread: About Todd Anderson's SCG Worcester Legacy Crash Course

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Re: About Todd Anderson's SCG Worcester Legacy Crash Course

Quote Originally Posted by HdH_Cthulhu View Post
    Guys give it some time...

First its all about the flavour!
    Second we only remember/name the cool guild names anyway! Even new players like to call it boros, izzet or bant but who the hell calls it golgari, BRG or azorius (sigh todd xD)
    Also mtg folks are nerds, they avoid the obvious -> its this 3 color deck, and like to reference some ingame stuff or colorcode instead! (makes sense to me)

I personally dont like the new "shard" names and always have to think, "What is temur again?" but whataver -.-

Whats even more nerdy is this discussion about what names are appropriate an what not...

And no Lemnear the community isnt retarded!
    It's about renaming existing Shard/Wedge/Clan/Guild/whatever names every time a new block comes out which gives a fuck about color combinations and shove it down the old players throat just for the sake of marketing a product with the already established playerbase as audience. This makes no sense.

It's not that Hasbro or WotC do a real Marketing Campaign with Tarkir to attract new potential players from outside the games cosmos with fancy names and stuff. There are no TV commercials, there are no Magazine ads, but all WotC does for public marketing is a youtube Trailer for the Expansion coming. The Khans Trailer was seen only ~250.000 times up to this date, which means that not even the wide playerbase gives a serious fuck.

Their whole worldbuilding is a waste of time. Storylines suck. Books suck. Mechanics suck. Players care for the mechanical aspects of cards and people outside the game don't even get in touch with worldbuilding/books/Stories because of non-existing marketing. That leaves you with the few self-proclaimed Vorthoses who decided to make MtG Lore their Bread & Butter of nerdom (no offense; sorry), which makes no sense for a business plan of a company.

P.S.: Don't use the word "retarded" out of it's actual context. I never hinted at players being dumb or something either. I pointed to people being brainwashed by what they see and being told. I doubt most people could name the roots of the most common decks and concepts in the format at all, but rather link it to the first appearance in a mayor tournament. People still believe the idea of Gifts Ungiven + Merchant Scroll (Meandeck Gifts) in Vintage was Stephen Menendians for example, which isn't the case.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    It's about renaming existing Shard/Wedge/Clan/Guild/whatever names every time a new block comes out which gives a fuck about color combinations and shove it down the old players throat just for the sake of marketing a product with the already established playerbase as audience. This makes no sense.

It's not that Hasbro or WotC do a real Marketing Campaign with Tarkir to attract new potential players from outside the games cosmos with fancy names and stuff. There are no TV commercials, there are no Magazine ads, but all WotC does for public marketing is a youtube Trailer for the Expansion coming. The Khans Trailer was seen only ~250.000 times up to this date, which means that not even the wide playerbase gives a serious fuck.

Their whole worldbuilding is a waste of time. Storylines suck. Books suck. Mechanics suck. Players care for the mechanical aspects of cards and people outside the game don't even get in touch with worldbuilding/books/Stories because of non-existing marketing. That leaves you with the few self-proclaimed Vorthoses who decided to make MtG Lore their Bread & Butter of nerdom (no offense; sorry), which makes no sense for a business plan of a company.

P.S.: Don't use the word "retarded" out of it's actual context. I never hinted at players being dumb or something either. I pointed to people being brainwashed by what they see and being told. I doubt most people could name the roots of the most common decks and concepts in the format at all, but rather link it to the first appearance in a mayor tournament. People still believe the idea of Gifts Ungiven + Merchant Scroll (Meandeck Gifts) in Vintage was Stephen Menendians for example, which isn't the case.
    Wizards does alot more marketing via Youtube and social media now. It's cheaper, more effective and way less cringe-worthy than many of their previous marketing ploys.

As for the color combination names, good names are going to stick. I have a hard time believing they could rename something like Jund that easily without massive resistance from the playerbase since the install base is much higher. Out of the Alara names, 4 out of 5 names saw wide adaption (except Naya). I can't see the same thing happening with the Wedges names, simply because they're so bad and unfitting. Jeskai might be a thing in the long run due to the earlier popularity of the Ascendancy and Prowness being the most popular mechanic of the block. But Abzan is an abomination, nobody plays Mardu and Temur/Sultai are just too inconvenient compared to RUG/BUG.

Judgy Curmudgeon
    Feb 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    I typically agree with you on a lot of things, but I have to call you out here. I know quite a few long-time players who have been very invested in storylines at one time or another, and it has nothing to do with them being Vorthos. I was super attached to the Weatherlight Saga, and I found Ravnica to be pretty strong, and a number of my friends were invested in the Odyssey/Onslaught and Mirrodin arcs. I was honestly pretty surprised how many people at pre-releases actually cared about the Innistrad and RTR story stuff, as bad as it was.

You're making the classic mistake of pretending that the majority of the people who buy Magic product are regular, even semi-competitive players, and not Kitchen Table casuals. While the forced identity-branding (Guilds/Shards/Clans) has been pretty painful to watch as someone who is old enough to recognize it, it's particularly attractive to the younger and the more casual playerbases, and I begrudgingly accept that using the names in articles and coverage helps to hook in a new audience without risking the old-timers (as much as we bitch and moan about it.)

We're pretty much a captive audience at this point, and even if you don't buy any first-party retail product, if you play the game at all, you are encouraging people to start/keep playing.
    Check out my Legacy UBTezz Primer. Chalice of the Void: Keeping Magic Fair.
    -----
    Playing since '96. Brief forced break '02-04. Former/Idle Judge since '05. Told Smmenen to play faster at Vintage Worlds.
    -----
    Most of the 'Ban brainstorm!' arguments are based on the logic that 'more different cards should get played in Legacy', as though the success or health of the format can be measured by the portion of cards that are available and see play. This is an idiotic metric.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Ellomdian View Post
    I typically agree with you on a lot of things, but I have to call you out here. I know quite a few long-time players who have been very invested in storylines at one time or another, and it has nothing to do with them being Vorthos. I was super attached to the Weatherlight Saga, and I found Ravnica to be pretty strong, and a number of my friends were invested in the Odyssey/Onslaught and Mirrodin arcs. I was honestly pretty surprised how many people at pre-releases actually cared about the Innistrad and RTR story stuff, as bad as it was.

You're making the classic mistake of pretending that the majority of the people who buy Magic product are regular, even semi-competitive players, and not Kitchen Table casuals. While the forced identity-branding (Guilds/Shards/Clans) has been pretty painful to watch as someone who is old enough to recognize it, it's particularly attractive to the younger and the more casual playerbases, and I begrudgingly accept that using the names in articles and coverage helps to hook in a new audience without risking the old-timers (as much as we bitch and moan about it.)

We're pretty much a captive audience at this point, and even if you don't buy any first-party retail product, if you play the game at all, you are encouraging people to start/keep playing.
    I don't know a single "Vorthos" in over 15 years in the game (at least I don't know about them) and even with me having read the original weatherlight Saga as well, the drop of quality in the stories and tournament play drove me away from the books and worldbuilding wrapping the cards.

It's totally fine by me if you call me out here on my bold statement with only my personal experience as Source :)
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Some storylines rock. I absolutely loved was incredible. I mean, absolutely incredible. So many good characters, so much flavor text. I freaking love it. One example of awesome story telling, and the kind of flavor that I like in MTG; http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...93990622,d.cWc. Not quite Weatherlight, but still freaking good. Also, the whole story of Volrath, Geth, and Crovax (Ascendant Envicar) was great. Everytime I cast a Meditate in High Tide I think about that scum Ertai. Volrath is my favorite character of all time, and he tripped him in the coliseum. What a scum.

I think the old art had a lot to do with getting wrapped in the storylines though. I mean cmon, look at this thing http://marktedin.com/Print%20Jpegs/B...rtal_print.jpg. I woudn't mind if they made a historic set, and printed some legends we never got to see (Belbe, Gix, Yawgmoth).

I mean cmon, imagine a card of YAWGMOTH. I'd buy that for the flavor alone.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Kanti View Post
    Volrath is my favorite character of all time, and he tripped her in the coliseum. What a scum.
    fixed

I woudn't mind if they made a historic set, and printed some legends we never got to see (Belbe, Gix, Yawgmoth).

I mean cmon, imagine a card of YAWGMOTH. I'd buy that for the flavor alone.
    +1

Loved the last Commander expansion for the old Legends finally getting cards. Titania *drool*
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Wait, what, you made me look this up again. Volrath was a male, if that's what you're talking about.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Wait, what, you made me look this up again. Volrath was a male, if that's what you're talking about.
    Lemnear just said he doesnt pay attention to Vorthos matters. Volrath is male, and uses Starke's daughter as a ruse to bait out Starke. (A la Unmask)
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Well i like karn and everything about him(urza stuff)...

Oh yes and badass bolas!
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

For what it's worth (and I have not read this article nor would I ever read any of SCG's premium content), Star City Games is a fraction of the reason I retired from playing competitive Magic. I honestly believe from the depths of my soul this article (based on the negative criticism it has received) is a microcosm of one of many things that is wrong with the game in 2015. The people who are using this gifted platform (based on a lack of personal and professional career development) have exploited their pocket-holding indulgence and narcissistic behavioral tendencies by kissing ass to Star City's middle and upper management in a brazen, cognizant effort to overrun and suppress the great minds and creative hotbeds that have existed for years.

They've created a fabricated and artificial reality - the reality you all as active players live in - where these disingenuous twenty-somethings become laughable "end bosses" in their tournament series as placeholders that only serve to sell product. How many times have these goofs been caught cheating on camera or integrating their own personal lives in a desperate attempt to get hits and purchase points to their articles that rehash the same damn material we've read for the past ten years by using a series of proxy situations to tell us the same things?

Here's the bottom line: No one really cares anymore. Magic (including Legacy) got so completely cutthroat that it basically imploded and forced people to sacrifice their integrity in a public platform to cheat publicly, steal thousands of dollars in cards and hyper-generate the prices of cards to unfathomable secondary market prices. To me it's a shell of what it used to be and what Magic was originally intended to be: fun, creative and competitive. You're all even bickering in another forum in two-thousand pages' worth of bullshit about the same card - a card that has existed for twenty years. When is seriously enough enough and can't people just play Magic and not worry about these things?

Those days are long gone and you can thank Star City Games, the cheaters, the thieves and the "Magic pros" for offering their full of crap and hypocritical words of wisdom to people where wisdom can be found in classic fair, constant and balanced play and solid deck design. People need to focus on themselves and stop worrying about what they can't control and what others think of them. Clearly this phony spotlight provided by SCGs is a reminder that if you buy into the SCGs machine, you'll become just another sellout or puppet to sell them product.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Keller View Post
    For what it's worth (and I have not read this article nor would I ever read any of SCG's premium content), Star City Games is a fraction of the reason I retired from playing competitive Magic. I honestly believe from the depths of my soul this article (based on the negative criticism it has received) is a microcosm of one of many things that is wrong with the game in 2015. The people who are using this gifted platform (based on a lack of personal and professional career development) have exploited their pocket-holding indulgence and narcissistic behavioral tendencies by kissing ass to Star City's middle and upper management in a brazen, cognizant effort to overrun and suppress the great minds and creative hotbeds that have existed for years.

They've created a fabricated and artificial reality - the reality you all as active players live in - where these disingenuous twenty-somethings become laughable "end bosses" in their tournament series as placeholders that only serve to sell product. How many times have these goofs been caught cheating on camera or integrating their own personal lives in a desperate attempt to get hits and purchase points to their articles that rehash the same damn material we've read for the past ten years by using a series of proxy situations to tell us the same things?

Here's the bottom line: No one really cares anymore. Magic (including Legacy) got so completely cutthroat that it basically imploded and forced people to sacrifice their integrity in a public platform to cheat publicly, steal thousands of dollars in cards and hyper-generate the prices of cards to unfathomable secondary market prices. To me it's a shell of what it used to be and what Magic was originally intended to be: fun, creative and competitive. You're all even bickering in another forum in two-thousand pages' worth of bullshit about the same card - a card that has existed for twenty years. When is seriously enough enough and can't people just play Magic and not worry about these things?

Those days are long gone and you can thank Star City Games, the cheaters, the thieves and the "Magic pros" for offering their full of crap and hypocritical words of wisdom to people where wisdom can be found in classic fair, constant and balanced play and solid deck design. People need to focus on themselves and stop worrying about what they can't control and what others think of them. Clearly this phony spotlight provided by SCGs is a reminder that if you buy into the SCGs machine, you'll become just another sellout or puppet to sell them product.
    +1

I want to dock you for bringing up Brainstorm, though I'll give you some credit for not actually typing it out. Everything else is spot on.

I don't think this particular article is as bad as all that. Todd states the intended audience of the article at the beginning and the end, even in the title: it's intended for beginners and newcomers to the format. That is, folks for whom some of this information might be new. It wasn't written for people who are already familiar with the format. It was written for people who aren't sure what Brainstorm does. Holding Todd to the high standard of offering new information and fresh insights is unfair in that sense.

Misattributing the decks to SCG grinders, however, is inappropriate and shouldn't have been done. I don't know whether the editors required this or whether it was Todd's doing, but the article has his name on it. He should not have allowed it to attribute Ponder Miracles to BBD, who is better known for playing Stoneforge Miracles. As the deck's audience is newer players, this comes across as intentionally misinforming them. A bit more effort should have been put into deck attribution, and Todd owes several people an apology: not least the intended readers of this article.

I question why this article was premium when it offers nothing new and is intended for beginners. It is articles like these that make the idea of purchasing SCG premium so utterly laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by Lormador View Post
    I don't think this particular article is as bad as all that. Todd states the intended audience of the article at the beginning and the end, even in the title: it's intended for beginners and newcomers to the format. That is, folks for whom some of this information might be new. It wasn't written for people who are already familiar with the format. It was written for people who aren't sure what Brainstorm does. Holding Todd to the high standard of offering new information and fresh insights is unfair in that sense.

Misattributing the decks to SCG grinders, however, is inappropriate and shouldn't have been done. I don't know whether the editors required this or whether it was Todd's doing, but the article has his name on it. He should not have allowed it to attribute Ponder Miracles to BBD, who is better known for playing Stoneforge Miracles. As the deck's audience is newer players, this comes across as intentionally misinforming them. A bit more effort should have been put into deck attribution, and Todd owes several people an apology: not least the intended readers of this article.

I question why this article was premium when it offers nothing new and is intended for beginners. It is articles like these that make the idea of purchasing SCG premium so utterly laughable.
    It seems like this is pretty in keeping with what Michael Keller was pointing out. The article had minimal creativity in presenting information and was therefore disingenuous. additionally there are lies which function to alienate the intended audience from actual history (reality).

Great points Hollywood.

But I have to say that I think this element of "cutthroat" behavior in a game paying out (relatively) a pittance to its winners... has always been there, but mostly on the Pro Tour circuit. At the Pro Tour level, if you ever speak to someone who has played on the PT for a long time (even dating back to the 90s), they will always tell you that cheating was just *rampant* on the higher levels.

Legacy has been isolated from some of the Pro Tour level stuff for a long time because, essentially, it was more "casual". So yes, maybe Starcitygames bringing the tournament circuit to the Legacy community was responsible for some of this behavior becoming more prevalent. In the end, I personally believe that you can't have competitive Magic without cheating because it's just so easy to do for anyone who wants to get an edge. It's tough to police non-digital Magic.

Along those lines here is a great article I read by a talented writer about his experiences on the Pro Tour recently, and his disillusionment with "Pro" magic. It touches on a lot of the same issues you touched on here:

http://legendstech.tumblr.com/post/1...pro-tour-sucks

Here's a particularly enlightening excerpt:

Compared to eSports, the Pro Tour plays to a tiny audience, so why spend more money on the event? Wizards employees say privately that the PT is just the advertising budget, and marvel at the tiny wages the pros will fight over. But what a sad advertisement pro Magic players are for Magic. An acquaintance once said, “Magic pros are pro at nothing but Magic,” which means “Magic pros are pro at nothing.” Like the content they produce, Magic pros are devoid of personality, the ability to laugh at themselves, or socialize with anyone who has nothing to offer in terms of status or money or sycophancy, and it is the very notion of “professionalism” that ensures there are and never will be any Magic pros. Even as eSports have grown exponentially all around us and revenue from Magic has in fact grown in the same way, the Pro Tour is still nothing to the world. What could be further from a football stadium full of screaming League fans than the small dark room where they held Pro Tour Brussels, with Marshall Sutcliffe chiding Chapin like a middle-school teacher’s pet prefect?

Oct 2013
    Portugal

Thats so wrong.... so many magic pros went to be successful and pro at other stuff.... And many do it at the same time.

Zombie Elf Warrior
    Dec 2004
    seattle

Quote Originally Posted by MGB View Post
    Along those lines here is a great article I read by a talented writer about his experiences on the Pro Tour recently, and his disillusionment with "Pro" magic. It touches on a lot of the same issues you touched on here:

http://legendstech.tumblr.com/post/1...pro-tour-sucks
    This same writer is the dude who won a Standard Open while on shrooms the entire time.

Not super relevant, but an interesting factoid. Ok carry on.
    Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    was greg mitchells hair ever on camera?
    Elves Discord Channel: https://discord.gg/2EVsdw2

The Agonistic Antagonist
    Mar 2015

I really hope what you said about the "end bosses" is true, because that means I'll quickly become a better player than them and thus beat them on camera with win an SCG event. WOOOO!!!!

Thread Information