Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: About Todd Anderson's SCG Worcester Legacy Crash Course

Re: About Todd Anderson's SCG Worcester Legacy Crash Course

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    You seem like a nice guy, but it's hard to discuss this with you when you don't follow established conventions of logic.

Step 1: You defend the names
    Step 2: I ask you whether that means we'll be switching names every couple of years
    Step 3: You say we didn't really do that so there's no evidence supporting my assumption
    Step 4: We point out to you how we actually did go through several iterations of color combination namings
    Step 5: You say you watched coverage since the introduction of the names and WotC used those new names.

You can see how I am lost about what to respond when your comment doesn't address what we responded with in Step 4.
    I thought you meant after Khans released they have switched the names, and I was responding that in the coverage by wizards I have seen, they have been sticking with the clan names. In the last couple years there is obviously going to be different names for the decks because of RTR and Khans blocks just releasing recently and reintroducing names and having new ones respectively. In standard, the names fluctuate like the format itself, we aren't going to call a UW deck now "Revelation Control", but we may call it "Ojutai Control" because the Dragonlord is now the most "prominent" or "important" card in the deck and the other has rotated. The fact that the names of different decks are different for each standard format doesn't bother me because the format itself can be radically different from the last to the point that just saying "Esper Control" may not adequately describe the Esper deck of the format. In the past 3 or 4 years I have not seen legacy decks (at local events I've been to or large events I've been to or watched coverage of) have drastically different names like "Azorious Stoneblade" one week with UW the next. The only names based on Color combination that has changed (that I can remember right now) is the clan names.

The only thing I dislike about this whole name thing is that it is forced. If I write down BUG Delver on my decklist submission, then don't call it Sultai Delver on the tournament report. If I write 5C Goblin Aggro, then put my deck and down as 5C Goblin Aggro. The fact that they force the change is what bothers me, not the specific name itself. Why do that?
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle".
    - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by JPoJohnson View Post
    The fact that they force the change is what bothers me, not the specific name itself. Why do that?
    Exactly. They feel contrived, and forced.

Quote Originally Posted by M+1 View Post
    Well in fairness they did need names for the sake of the story line. Referring to the Clans as BUG and RUG in the story would just sound stupid.

Shill City Games is always on board with the latest bullshit. Unsurprising but saddening, especially how people are just eating it up.

Jan 2005
    I actually live in actual Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by M+1 View Post
    I don't mind them calling Standard decks by the clan names.

But RUG Delver has nothing whatsoever the fuck to do with Temur. It doesn't use Formidable, it can barely activate Ferocious without help from the opponent, its biggest creature costs 1G and it's usually playing a disruption / control game. It's not a 'Temur' deck in any sense.

Jun 2014
    The Arctic

Quote Originally Posted by Meekrab View Post

But RUG Delver has nothing whatsoever the fuck to do with Temur. It doesn't use Formidable, it can barely activate Ferocious without help from the opponent, its biggest creature costs 1G and it's usually playing a disruption / control game. It's not a 'Temur' deck in any sense.
    This, when a name represents something in the game or story (like the clan names) then a deck should only use that name when it incorporates aspects of what the name represents, and color identity is not sufficient. The same goes for the shards, and for the Ravinca Guilds.
    The only clan that could naturally fit into an existing Legacy deck of its colors is Jeskai, as the others are all about creatures.
    Mardu could fit into an all in aggro deck if there were any non-tempo aggro decks being played right now.

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Quote Originally Posted by Meekrab View Post

And yet "Grixis Delver" has never had absolutely anything to do with Grixis. Nor has "Esper Stoneblade" ever had anything to do with Esper.

I'm decidedly anti-Mongolian, but if you're going to be on this team, don't make shitty arguments. The whole of the matter is that they sound like ass.

Joe Cool Above All
    Sep 2007

I don't think that the argument that there will be new names in a few years holds water. They have made a decision with the Shards and Wedges and I doubt they'll go back on it. Tarkir block is wildly popular too.

Quote Originally Posted by HSCK View Post
    I don't think that the argument that there will be new names in a few years holds water. They have made a decision with the Shards and Wedges and I doubt they'll go back on it. Tarkir block is wildly popular too.
    It isn't remotely difficult for another 'abzan' to be created down the line. So they make a wedge block in a few years that isn't on Tarkir. They certainly won't call it abzan due to flavor reasons/they'll be going 'back on their word.' It is actually inevitable short of the game dying out because they'll eventually do a full on wedge block that isn't tarkir due to design space.

Esper stoneblade fits a little bit because it really is about the artifacts in the deck/esper is about artifacts sure the artifacts they run are equipment but they're still artifacts. Grixis, however, makes no sense at all flavorwise. Jeskai fits perfectly. Sultai fits a tiny bit because they care about the graveyard and so does deathrite shaman but that's not much of a reason. I don't like the wedge names because they sound weird whereas esper, grixis, bant, jund, and naya are all very good names in terms of how they sound and pronunciation wise. The one thing I'm quite glad for is that no one has called miracles jeskai miracles or some nonsense like that as that sounds atrocious.

Guild names never really caught on. Never heard someone call UR delver izzet delver. Same with UW control never saw it called azorius control. Only guild name I can think of that has been used with regularity is boros. No clue why but it is what it is.
    Bread Connoisseur on MTGSalvation Forums
    Currently Playing:
    All flavors of storm combo
    Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix
    Lands is a joke for Solidarity. Its like asking a morbidly obese parapalegic to run the mile with his shoes tied.

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Ritual View Post
    Only guild name I can think of that has been used with regularity is boros. No clue why but it is what it is.
    Names that sound good and aren't inconvenient to say.

vs.

Names that sound like ass and don't roll off the tongue.

It isn't remotely difficult for another 'abzan' to be created down the line. So they make a wedge block in a few years that isn't on Tarkir. They certainly won't call it abzan due to flavor reasons/they'll be going 'back on their word.' It is actually inevitable short of the game dying out because they'll eventually do a full on wedge block that isn't tarkir due to design space.

Esper stoneblade fits a little bit because it really is about the artifacts in the deck/esper is about artifacts sure the artifacts they run are equipment but they're still artifacts. Grixis, however, makes no sense at all flavorwise. Jeskai fits perfectly. Sultai fits a tiny bit because they care about the graveyard and so does deathrite shaman but that's not much of a reason. I don't like the wedge names because they sound weird whereas esper, grixis, bant, jund, and naya are all very good names in terms of how they sound and pronunciation wise. The one thing I'm quite glad for is that no one has called miracles jeskai miracles or some nonsense like that as that sounds atrocious.

Guild names never really caught on. Never heard someone call UR delver izzet delver. Same with UW control never saw it called azorius control. Only guild name I can think of that has been used with regularity is boros. No clue why but it is what it is.
    Esper Stoneblade runs 2-3 artifacts at most in the main deck with not much, if any, in the sideboard. The Esper shard was based completely around artifacts, not playing it incidentally for value. The only names that actually make sense in that regard are Naya and Jund since Naya was basically just big creatures and Jund was Cascade, though even those are pretty loose.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

So much irony:

West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Pancake
    Oct 2012
    Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by iamajellydonut View Post
    Names that sound good and aren't inconvenient to say.

vs.

Names that sound like ass and don't roll off the tongue.
    Things really are that simple. People (here) make things more complicated then they are. Names like Jund, Naya, Esper sticked around simply because it sounded easy and cool. Grixis and Boros are kinda meh, but referring to red/white in a conversation is better to do with using Boros. Prenouncing Jeskai or Abzan makes my tongue go all acrobatic... and i always have to think when i say Azban or was it Abzan or Banza?.....
    Kagu-Tsuchi カグツチ (Jund NicFit)
    Rhino's Abbondanza (Junk NicFit)
    4c Aggro Loam

Quote Originally Posted by Chatto View Post
    How about: ramp into Deed, clear the board, and bash your opponent's head in.

Hey guys, let's do it! The blue yonder awaits! Yahoo!
    Apr 2011
    The World

I never use those weird names, don't even know what kind of deck they mean by those names. Call me old-fashioned, but I just keep by the old names.

Also, as long as the community knows who to credit for certain decks/ combo's etc etc who cares about what a company like SCG says?
    "Be it ever so crumbled, there's no place like home."

RGCL (GQ)

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Welcome aboard, in her dark name we do dedicate this performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    That actually sounds erotic.
    Youtube-playlist dedicated to RGCL

I never use those weird names, don't even know what kind of deck they mean by those names. Call me old-fashioned, but I just keep by the old names.

Also, as long as the community knows who to credit for certain decks/ combo's etc etc who cares about what a company like SCG says?
    Call me old-fashioned but I barely caught up with the Bug/Rug nonsense...

It would be certainly easier without 3 names for a deck, having a "whats the deck" minigame everytime you start a conversation... Not that my opinion matters, I still play lands in front of creatures...

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

But they do not. Honestly, this game isn't driven from it's playerbase, but from the public platforms. What is this forum or the ones alike compared to the big, shiny Video live coverages and Premium Articles? New players and even established ones get brainwashed and you can't be mad at them for being unable to know the roots of ideas they get dished on the polished silver plate of Medias
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Guys give it some time...

First its all about the flavour!
    Second we only remember/name the cool guild names anyway! Even new players like to call it boros, izzet or bant but who the hell calls it golgari, BRG or azorius (sigh todd xD)
    Also mtg folks are nerds, they avoid the obvious -> its this 3 color deck, and like to reference some ingame stuff or colorcode instead! (makes sense to me)

I personally dont like the new "shard" names and always have to think, "What is temur again?" but whataver -.-

Whats even more nerdy is this discussion about what names are appropriate an what not...

And no Lemnear the community isnt retarded!
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

No, screw you. Temur, Sultai, and Jeskai are retarded. *kicks and screams*

Hey guys, let's do it! The blue yonder awaits! Yahoo!
    Apr 2011
    The World

Quote Originally Posted by Kanti View Post
    No, screw you. Temur, Sultai, and Jeskai are retarded. *kicks and screams*
    "Be it ever so crumbled, there's no place like home."

RGCL (GQ)

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Welcome aboard, in her dark name we do dedicate this performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    That actually sounds erotic.
    Youtube-playlist dedicated to RGCL

Thread Information