Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: About Todd Anderson's SCG Worcester Legacy Crash Course

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Re: About Todd Anderson's SCG Worcester Legacy Crash Course

I think he should have acknowledged Philipp's contributions to the Miracles archetype, but some of you guys are going way overboard with the hate.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Quote Originally Posted by dicknuts
    I sat alone shrouded in darkness as the flickering light from the television lit up the room like fireflies. You can get lost in television. You can get lost in a lot of things.
    Just like you can get lost in the endless stream of shitty cliches Todd uses to somehow paint himself as a victim for having a wife that is slightly pissed off at him for being a perpetual loser.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Zombie Elf Warrior
    Dec 2004
    seattle

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthepit View Post
    I think he should have acknowledged Philipp's contributions to the Miracles archetype, but some of you guys are going way overboard with the hate.
    /popcorn

The hate IRT to the archetype misattribution might be a bit strong, sure. But the hate IRT that article where DudeBro complains that his wife wants him to get a job and stop running around trying to become a stupid MTG Pro - that hate is legit.

It grosses me out when Magic Pros (and that term grosses me out too but for unrelated reasons) try to wave their Creative Writing chops around. Tell me what you think of Limited picks 1, 2, and 3. But please don't try to spoonfeed me some Poetry 101 LiveJournal bullshit.

SCG should stick to selling me cards. Because they suck at selling feelings.
    Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    was greg mitchells hair ever on camera?
    Elves Discord Channel: https://discord.gg/2EVsdw2

Site Contributor
    Jul 2013
    Austin, TX

Quote Originally Posted by danyul View Post
    But please don't try to spoonfeed me some Poetry 101 LiveJournal bullshit.
    Lol Danyul is my new favorite person on the forums.
    ArtStation: Dgreco current work
    Playing Junk NicFit
    Daveg3d on MODO

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

The negative comments are a better read then the article.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Godfrey
    This is a highly personal topic relating to the inner-workings of your marriage with a Magic veneer. In the context of an online journal, I have no problem: writing is cathartic and expressing these things to friends can be helpful and also inspiring. However I suspect you are still being paid or given some form of compensation for this article, and meanwhile you've presumed to include the entire readership of a TCG-strategy website in your domestic affairs. Basically, what you've just done is taken a very, very personal issue that is damaging your marriage, publicised it to a large number of the Magic community, and picked up a cheque/product for your trouble. Irrespective of how you feel about it or how your wife feels about it, it makes me feel incredibly uncomfortable reading about it on this website.
    That's pretty on-the-nose.

I've never understood the rage about deck attribution. The stakes just seem so low relative to the amount of bile that ends up getting sloshed about. On the other hand, this is the internet, the one place where you're not allowed to be wrong about anything, ever, and where emotions are always turned up to 11.

As for Todd himself, whatever. There are a lot of grinders out there with even fewer redeeming qualities as human beings than Todd Anderson has, so I find it hard to get worked up about it.

Let's try not to turn this thread into a circlejerk about how shitty X Magic-playing character is, and focus on the content instead. Yes, I realize it's behind a paywall, you don't have to bitch about that either.

Judgy Curmudgeon
    Feb 2006

Say what you will about Deck Attribution, Todd's personal life, or writing style.

Quote Originally Posted by The Article
    And no one seems to mind that it [Brainstorm] is in nearly every single blue deck or that blue is the most played color.
    I got as far as that and felt obliged to point out the quasi-religious discussion that big-time Legacy fans often participate in when it comes to Brainstorm, and Blue in general.

I think it's humorous how SCG will often avoid mentioning anything related to The Source. Of course, linking people to discussion over here where we are all just kind of staring dumbfounded at the thought that AbzanJunkBlade is something you should be prepared to face in Woostuh.

I can't wait for Pt 2 next week, in which we discuss sideboard strategy against combo - Food-Chain Griffons!
    Check out my Legacy UBTezz Primer. Chalice of the Void: Keeping Magic Fair.
    -----
    Playing since '96. Brief forced break '02-04. Former/Idle Judge since '05. Told Smmenen to play faster at Vintage Worlds.
    -----
    Most of the 'Ban brainstorm!' arguments are based on the logic that 'more different cards should get played in Legacy', as though the success or health of the format can be measured by the portion of cards that are available and see play. This is an idiotic metric.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by danyul View Post
    Tell me what you think of Limited picks 1, 2, and 3. But please don't try to spoonfeed me some Poetry 101 LiveJournal bullshit.

SCG should stick to selling me cards. Because they suck at selling feelings.
    #RapBattleOuttaNowhere #KickstarterForFlightTickets #AmbushTodd
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Site Contributor
    Jul 2013
    Austin, TX

all this talk about him being frustrated with a wife that hates his lifestyle choice, is making me want to get premium to actually read it. o.0
    ArtStation: Dgreco current work
    Playing Junk NicFit
    Daveg3d on MODO

Quote Originally Posted by Myelectronicdays View Post
    all this talk about him being frustrated with a wife that hates his lifestyle choice, is making me want to get premium to actually read it. o.0
    If you want to read the article about his wife, it was linked by Esper3K above. I don't remember if it was premium at the time it was published, but it's long since become free.

It's not really worth reading, though. Basically, Todd's wife (who, IIRC, also played Magic and did well in some tournaments around that time) had the temerity to point out that Todd's aspirations of being a Professional Magic Player were not really coming to fruition and suggest that he maybe get a day job and stop spending so much time (and, presumably, money) on card games. Todd ignored her, which led to predictable consequences, at which point Todd wrote a mopey, self-serving article about how sad it is to have people expect you to stop being a grown man-child. There was quite a bit of blowback about it at the time, not just because his wife's demands were totally reasonable, but also because one of the less charitable interpretations of his article was that he was essentially trying to blackmail her into leaving him alone by making her look - very publicly - like a villain. I haven't really kept track of the SCG Magic scene since then but my impression was that he kind of faded out of the limelight after that.

My cat's name is Tarmogoyf!
    Dec 2010
    Franklin, PA; Cleveland, OH

Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies View Post
    Todd's wife
    Is a Level 2 Judge and an Organized Play Coordinator or something along those lines for SCG. Just worth mentioning...

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies View Post
    I've never understood the rage about deck attribution.
    I think there's a few things at play:

1. There's the perception that the correct attribution is "one of us" so by attributing to someone who is not "one of us" is a slight to "us" as a whole.

2. SCG is very self-centered. If the misattribution was to a non-SCGer, there'd likely be less complaints. This sort of thing seems to pop up all the time with SCG, especially in relation to legacy.
    As an example, they originally called Maverick "Green and Taxes" and they've many times made references or said things that imply that the deck didn't exist before it showed up on their own tournament series.

3. Because of 2, people love to call out SCG when they're wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Brian Weissman invented Miracles, you're all fucking wannabes.

Ooh... Shiny!

Aug 2005
    Raincouver

Wait, wasn't his wife that chick that won an SCG open because the guy in the finals just scooped to her?

WTP's Choice
    Aug 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post
    Wait, wasn't his wife that chick that won an SCG open because the guy in the finals just scooped to her?
    Wait, wasn't Todd Anderson this guy who is a smaller version of Brad Nelson?

Edit: In fact, it is a serious question. Might sound strange but I cannot distinguish them. I always need a picture of both to see who is who.
    Last edited by CabalTherapy; 05-15-2015 at 09:02 PM.
    WantToPonder
    former: Team SpasticalAction & Team RugStar Berlin
    Team MTG Berlin

Quote Originally Posted by guillemnicolau View Post
    Since the print of dark petition grim tutor hasn't seen play in legacy (not in competitive decks).
    Quote Originally Posted by THerzog41 View Post
    I believe Maverick is still the best deck in the format and definitely the most underrated deck in the format.
    The Dragonstorm
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...he-Dragonstorm

Quote Originally Posted by CabalTherapy View Post
    Wait, wasn't Todd Anderson this guy who is a smaller version of Brad Nelson?
    Ouch.

RE: Thread - let's get this one back onto the topic of the article. Pretend it was written by Not-Todd-Anderson if you have to.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

I do'nt have premium to read the article, but I would suggest to just google Drew Levin and Carsten Kotter's series on Legacy strategy first, and be done with it.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Learning Blue cards
    Nov 2012
    Beijing,China

Who is the actual man responsible for the silly f**king "AbzanDeathblade" SCG-made names?

Maybe Todd is not that guy.
    I hear they got twisters miles wide in the Midwest.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Tokugawa View Post
    Who is the actual man responsible for the silly f**king "AbzanDeathblade" SCG-made names?

Maybe Todd is not that guy.
    I know someone (Carsten possibly?) Said shortly after khans came out that every instance of RUG or BUG delver got changed to Temur and whatever the BUG once is called by the editor
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Learning Blue cards
    Nov 2012
    Beijing,China

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    I know someone (Carsten possibly?) Said shortly after khans came out that every instance of RUG or BUG delver got changed to Temur and whatever the BUG once is called by the editor
    Why they did not make something like "Izzet Sneakattack" or "Dimir Reanimator" after RTR came out? These names are more easily to spell and remember!
    I hear they got twisters miles wide in the Midwest.

Thread Information