Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: About Todd Anderson's SCG Worcester Legacy Crash Course

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Re: About Todd Anderson's SCG Worcester Legacy Crash Course

Quote Originally Posted by BTY View Post
    Honestly though, there are plenty of legitimate complaints when it comes to Wizards management of the game and Starcity's management of its content, but the names are so trivial that complaining about renaming the color combination is irrelevant.
    So we're gonna rename the color combinations every couple of years then?
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    I'm just waiting for 5 color decks to start be calling like "Conflux Control" with no Conflux in them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

This isn't an argument about renaming because Wizards never gave them any real names. The only names they had were things made by the communitee like abbreviations of colors, or just naming the 3 colors like "Blue/White/Red". So considering the fact that they weren't actually named I would be hard pressed to say this is a problem with renaming. I also am not advocating changing them constantly, as that just gets confusing, but I don't see the problem of them giving them universal names akin to what they did with shards of alara.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

This isn't an argument about renaming because Wizards never gave them any real names.
    Except for Dega, Ana, Raka, Necra, and Ceta, you are correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

This isn't an argument about renaming because Wizards never gave them any real names. The only names they had were things made by the communitee like abbreviations of colors, or just naming the 3 colors like "Blue/White/Red". So considering the fact that they weren't actually named I would be hard pressed to say this is a problem with renaming. I also am not advocating changing them constantly, as that just gets confusing, but I don't see the problem of them giving them universal names akin to what they did with shards of alara.
    As of 2015, we already went through 2-3 official naming conventions for enemy color shards, depending on whether or not you wanna count the established one-letter abbreviations that WotC has used extensively during GP coverage.
    4. Stifle Standstill.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

As of 2015, we already went through 2-3 official naming conventions for enemy color shards, depending on whether or not you wanna count the established one-letter abbreviations that WotC has used extensively during GP coverage.
    Is it:
    UW Control
    Azorius Control
    Ojutai Control
    Redless Jeskai Control?
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post
    Except for Dega, Ana, Raka, Necra, and Ceta, you are correct.
    The only name of those that people ever used for those is Dega, so considering that absolutely no one ever used the (hyperbole, but not far from the truth) I think its safe to say they are irrelevant.

I only watch legacy and Modern GPs and don't watch Pro tours at all so I don't know what Wizards does and doesn't name things. I did watch the Modern portion of PT Fate Reforged and GP Vancouver and they named the Junk decks Abzan. I also watched GP Omaha and it was the same, they also called the UWR decks Jeskai.

Learning Blue cards
    Nov 2012
    Beijing,China

The only name of those that people ever used for those is Dega, so considering that absolutely no one ever used the (hyperbole, but not far from the truth) I think its safe to say they are irrelevant.

I only watch legacy and Modern GPs and don't watch Pro tours at all so I don't know what Wizards does and doesn't name things. I did watch the Modern portion of PT Fate Reforged and GP Vancouver and they named the Junk decks Abzan. I also watched GP Omaha and it was the same, they also called the UWR decks Jeskai.
    Almost every time I saw a man use the name "Dega" on forums, their topic is not focus on tactics/card selection of some BWR deck, but on boasting their MTG experience since(before) Apocalypse.

Personally I don't like the Khans names, these name are harder to spell than 2-syllables "Bant" or "Junk". But at least "Mardu" does not contain cheap sense of pride.
    I hear they got twisters miles wide in the Midwest.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Some players (especially new ones) don't realize that blue is referred to as U if you are just going by one letter, which makes decks like BUG and RUG unintuitive to new players.
    If one can't grasp something easy like the WUBRG color code, then MtG is most likely the wrong game for them.

Besides, what happens once Wedges rotate out of Standard? How is a new player after that going to know what the hell Mardu means?

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

And that's entirely the point. For the past fourteen years we've had names. And for the past fourteen years we've chosen to ignore those names because we find them utterly unappealing.

Jan 2014
    Berlin, Germany

Hello,

iamajellydonut
    Because "Sultai Delver" is no more descriptive than saying "BUG Delver" and it sounds like ass.
    this is you personal opinion. I think you are not a new player and therefore these names are not for you. That means you are not the
    target group. In addtion to that your personal liking of the name is not a reason for making the introduction of new people more diffcult than
    necassary.

So again please tell me why it is worse to name something Sultai instead of UWR, or Outjai+r or Azorius +R. All names are describing the same deck
    and therefore you can take what you want in your discussion.
    SCG has to insure that every person undertsand their articles and therefore i bound to chose the newest name because otherwise people who started with
    Khans might be unable to understand the articles because they donīt know terms like BUG Delver.

Barook
    If one can't grasp something easy like the WUBRG color code, then MtG is most likely the wrong game for them.

Besides, what happens once Wedges rotate out of Standard? How is a new player after that going to know what the hell Mardu means?
    The first part of this comment is ignorant on so many levels and can be compared with the famous #goplay modern. MTG changes and at the moment
    they want to introduce the game to as much people as possible and the result are names which are easier to rember than a abstract combination of
    letters like RBG or UWR. So yes they names they use now are unfamiliar for the most older players but no one forces you to use it.
    So why exactly are you flaming about other people having their own opinion on that and using such names out of pratical reasons ?
    I mean there was no valid argument here but only subjective feelings or unjustified insults like your sentance above.

What happens when Wedges rotate out is easy all Colour combination from them will continously explained with the last known name so UWR will stay Sultai as
    long as there is no new set of names.

In the end Names are names and while true names matter, normal names are quiet easy exchangable as long as they describe the same fact and this is clearly the case.

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Quote Originally Posted by Teveshszat View Post
    So again please tell me why it is worse to name something Sultai instead of UWR
    Because the names are so atrocious that even their proponents can't get them right.

Jan 2014
    Berlin, Germany

Hello,

Because the names are so atrocious that even their proponents can't get them right.
    If this is really the case than they should rethink the name. I for mypart canīt believe that some one can get the names wrong
    but this is a legit argument against the names.

Quote Originally Posted by Teveshszat View Post
    Hello,

If this is really the case than they should rethink the name. I for mypart canīt beleve that soem one can get this wrong
    but this is a legit argument against the names.
    You are the best!

Thank you for making this day a little bit brighter!

Jan 2014
    Berlin, Germany

Hello,

You are the best!

Thank you for making this day a little bit brighter!
    Donīt know what you are taling about. I for my part only agreed to the fact that if the people who are using the names canīt use them in the right way than
    the names should be changed.
    I read it so it would say if people who are supporting the names canīt use them right change it and not as he maybe intended that
    the even the supporters of the names can make them as good as needed to acept them because they are bad.

So what I did was to assume that he wanted to bring a valid argument and not another subjective opnion without any agrument
    to make a discussion possible.

Oct 2011
    California

Quote Originally Posted by 'Nilla Pac View Post
    Damn it, just catching up on the forum talk and was hoping nobody said this because I was going to.

There's always been instances of people not receiving credit for deck design. My friend Justin Rider back in the day designed the deck for Pro Tour Tokyo in 2001 that put four out of 11 people who played it in the top 8 and another 3 in the top 32 (Justin finished 17th). He never got credit for it. Partly because no one knew who the hell he was, partly because people care more about someone who has higher finishes with a deck rather than who builds them.
    My mother was a huge fan of Frank Sinatra, and she said one of the things she always liked about his shows was that, before a song, he'd make a point of telling the audience who wrote it and who arranged it, and would be sure the audience knew who was in the band, etc.

So after getting that hammered into me, I try to make sure, when I'm playing some piece of tech and know who came up with it, to make sure I give credit to the person who invented it. Seems like the thing to do.

Nov 2010
    Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Kanti View Post
    I see this as new card frames. I don't like it at all, especially when I can pronounce BUG and RUG quite easily. For some reason I don't mind Bant, Jund, or Esper though. Meh.
    I feel like the only thoughts that went into the Khans names were "I guess we need names for these colors" and "How exotic can we make them?" They clearly cared more about making the names sound as fake-Asian as possible than the names feeling like they mean anything. Granted, most of the Shards names don't mean anything either, but when I hear Grixis it actually makes me think of Black, and Esper makes me think of things that actually match what Esper is supposed to be. Even if I'm just full of shit because I just got used to the names, at least those names are simple and feel like they could mean something in English. The Khans names aren't memorable except for how they *almost* sound like words, and the only reason anyone mentally connects Sultai or any of the clan names with anything color related is because Wizards is forcing it down your throat for breakfast lunch and dinner.

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Namida View Post
    I feel like the only thoughts that went into the Khans names were "I guess we need names for these colors" and "How exotic can we make them?" They clearly cared more about making the names sound as fake-Asian as possible than the names feeling like they mean anything. Granted, most of the Shards names don't mean anything either, but when I hear Grixis it actually makes me think of Black, and Esper makes me think of things that actually match what Esper is supposed to be. Even if I'm just full of shit because I just got used to the names, at least those names are simple and feel like they could mean something in English. The Khans names aren't memorable except for how they *almost* sound like words, and the only reason anyone mentally connects Sultai or any of the clan names with anything color related is because Wizards is forcing it down your throat for breakfast lunch and dinner.
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post

We still use the names from a block from 2008, even new players use those.

Quote Originally Posted by iamajellydonut View Post
    And that's entirely the point. For the past fourteen years we've had names. And for the past fourteen years we've chosen to ignore those names because we find them utterly unappealing.
    Then continue ignoring them, that's fine, but the difference is that I never heard any complaints like "those names are atrocious, how dare wizards even try to feed us this garbage".

Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

You seem like a nice guy, but it's hard to discuss this with you when you don't follow established conventions of logic.

Step 1: You defend the names
    Step 2: I ask you whether that means we'll be switching names every couple of years
    Step 3: You say we didn't really do that so there's no evidence supporting my assumption
    Step 4: We point out to you how we actually did go through several iterations of color combination namings
    Step 5: You say you watched coverage since the introduction of the names and WotC used those new names.

You can see how I am lost about what to respond when your comment doesn't address what we responded with in Step 4.
    4. Stifle Standstill.

Thread Information