Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: About Todd Anderson's SCG Worcester Legacy Crash Course

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Re: About Todd Anderson's SCG Worcester Legacy Crash Course

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    I know someone (Carsten possibly?) Said shortly after khans came out that every instance of RUG or BUG delver got changed to Temur and whatever the BUG once is called by the editor
    BUG was Sultai, and yes, Carsten wrote the articles in traditional MTG jargon, but the deck names and Codes for color combinations were changed by SCGs Editor Cedric before going online.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Tokugawa View Post
    Why they did not make something like "Izzet Sneakattack" or "Dimir Reanimator" after RTR came out? These names are more easily to spell and remember!
    Those are just guilds associated with the colours, I think. BUG/RUG/UWR have been formally named "Sultai", "Temur" and "Jeskai".

Also: If in doubt about the ability to provide legacy content for SCG, please look at the Todd Anderson (BUG Delver) vs Brad Nelson (UWr Miracles) Versus Video that just got published to select a few days ago. That speaks volumes about why they misscredit (or show lack of appreciation for someone familiarizing) said deck.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Quasim0ff View Post
    Those are just guilds associated with the colours, I think. BUG/RUG/UWR have been formally named "Sultai", "Temur" and "Jeskai".

Also: If in doubt about the ability to provide legacy content for SCG, please look at the Todd Anderson (BUG Delver) vs Brad Nelson (UWr Miracles) Versus Video that just got published to select a few days ago. That speaks volumes about why they misscredit (or show lack of appreciation for someone familiarizing) said deck.
    It would warmly welcomed if you could elaborate and/or share a link for referral. Thanks in advance
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Quote Originally Posted by Tokugawa View Post
    Why they did not make something like "Izzet Sneakattack" or "Dimir Reanimator" after RTR came out? These names are more easily to spell and remember!
    Well honestly why does it really matter? Its a name for christ sake, everyone knows what they are talking about so I really don't see the point. Also they don't called it "Izzet Sneak Attack" because the common deck name, "Sneak and Show" has no mention of any colors. The deck names they do change (RUG delver, Shardless BUG, etc) actually mention the colors. They obviously aren't applying it to everything, in the Modern open they didn't change names to Izzet Storm or Simic Tron for example. I think the main reason they don't name two color decks after guilds is because the guilds have much more specific identities in mechanics and what not. Just like Jund, esper, etc have become ubiquitous with the colors and not the mechanic/gimmick from shards, these new names are viewed in similar ways.

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Quote Originally Posted by BTY View Post
    Well honestly why does it really matter? Its a name for christ sake
    "It's just a name", the scum said. Names matter.

That being said, this whole conversation is about a year past relevant.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

No SCG but....
    Well everyone, our cries have been heard....

http://youtu.be/2a0JP6nE3xE

So yea, we are now using the Ravnica guild names, your all got your wish, next, we will be renaming single colours. Red will be first, it shall now be known as Shiv.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Judgy Curmudgeon
    Feb 2006

I had to grimace when I read Todd's follow up article today. His info was pretty solid, but then we get this tidbit at the end:

Quote Originally Posted by The Article
    ...suffice it to say that I was not pleased with the comment section of my last article. Too many people are missing the big picture on more than one level. These two articles were not meant to give credit to deckbuilders, and I didn't think it important for new players entering into Legacy. If offense was given, that wasn't my intention. I only posted decklists from the last couple of weeks of Legacy tournaments, and the ones on this website are much easier for me to find, and they get the point across easy enough.
    Woo boy...

- If the articles weren't meant to give credit, then don't put names in the article. It's not hard - some of the best strategic content I've read in 2 decades has been articles that didn't mention a name in the article at all.

- Talking about how much you disliked the comments to your last article is a terrible idea. You are just asking for the quasi-constructive criticism to turn into outright trolling.

- Some of the more popular current SCG authors have a real problem with Tone in their articles, and it's surprising that people who have written that many words don't seem to have picked up very much in the way of Style corrections.

It's weird (but not entirely unexpected) that SCG is allowing the relationship between their Editors and Writers to get even more chummy. We'll have to see if it decreases the quality across the board.
    Check out my Legacy UBTezz Primer. Chalice of the Void: Keeping Magic Fair.
    -----
    Playing since '96. Brief forced break '02-04. Former/Idle Judge since '05. Told Smmenen to play faster at Vintage Worlds.
    -----
    Most of the 'Ban brainstorm!' arguments are based on the logic that 'more different cards should get played in Legacy', as though the success or health of the format can be measured by the portion of cards that are available and see play. This is an idiotic metric.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by iamajellydonut View Post
    That is actually awesome. . . .

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Ellomdian View Post
    I had to grimace when I read Todd's follow up article today. His info was pretty solid, but then we get this tidbit at the end:

Woo boy...

- If the articles weren't meant to give credit, then don't put names in the article. It's not hard - some of the best strategic content I've read in 2 decades has been articles that didn't mention a name in the article at all.

- Talking about how much you disliked the comments to your last article is a terrible idea. You are just asking for the quasi-constructive criticism to turn into outright trolling.

- Some of the more popular current SCG authors have a real problem with Tone in their articles, and it's surprising that people who have written that many words don't seem to have picked up very much in the way of Style corrections.

It's weird (but not entirely unexpected) that SCG is allowing the relationship between their Editors and Writers to get even more chummy. We'll have to see if it decreases the quality across the board.
    Yeah the info was good if not... simple/basic (?). My only issue with the info was the Storm section which I commented on in the comments.

As for the disliking comments section, it was awful and paints the wrong picture.
    Matt Bevenour in real life

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Agreed. Don't acknowledge nor post in the comments box. You can always message people individually if you need to, or just take the constructive criticism and incorporate it with thanks.

-Matt

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    Agreed. Don't acknowledge nor post in the comments box. You can always message people individually if you need to, or just take the constructive criticism and incorporate it with thanks.

-Matt
    I think replying the comments is fantastic, and surely a lot of pros have done so (particularly CFB) to great success. When you come off as abrasive though, it's not going to work out.
    Matt Bevenour in real life

Quote Originally Posted by iamajellydonut View Post

That being said, this whole conversation is about a year past relevant.

Jan 2014
    Berlin, Germany

Hello,

can anyone actually tell me why we are having a discussion about totaly subjetive names. I mean no one wil stop you to call any deck as you like. What SCG is trying to do is giving person hinst who donīt who are totaly new to Legacy and only started to play recently. So these people are only nknow the Clan Colour Combination and SCG is just trying to give them something familiar when readin an article about Legacy deck to provide a better understanding.

Why is it bad to help new guys to understand things faster?

Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Quote Originally Posted by Teveshszat View Post
    Because "Sultai Delver" is no more descriptive than saying "BUG Delver" and it sounds like ass.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Teveshszat View Post
    Hello,

can anyone actually tell me why we are having a discussion about totaly subjetive names. I mean no one wil stop you to call any deck as you like. What SCG is trying to do is giving person hinst who donīt who are totaly new to Legacy and only started to play recently. So these people are only nknow the Clan Colour Combination and SCG is just trying to give them something familiar when readin an article about Legacy deck to provide a better understanding.

Because they try to rename establish decks with nonsensical Wizards marketing crap.

How is Sultai Delver more informative than BUG Delver, aka the common color code? It also makes things harder to find on established Legacy sources for new players since those keep the old names.

I don't mind Abzan, Mardu, and Jeskai so much, but Sultai and Temur are awful compared to BUG and RUG.

Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    I don't mind Abzan, Mardu, and Jeskai so much
    You take that shitty opinion back right now, Seth!

I see this as new card frames. I don't like it at all, especially when I can pronounce BUG and RUG quite easily. For some reason I don't mind Bant, Jund, or Esper though. Meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Because they try to rename establish decks with nonsensical Wizards marketing crap.

How is Sultai Delver more informative than BUG Delver, aka the common color code? It also makes things harder to find on established Legacy sources for new players since those keep the old names.
    The thing is though is that why should they be called different things for different formats? The names are naturally going to be used in Standard so why should the older formats have different names? It makes it a lot easier to find decks in the colors you want if it just has a standard name that is used universally. Some players (especially new ones) don't realize that blue is referred to as U if you are just going by one letter, which makes decks like BUG and RUG unintuitive to new players.

Honestly though, there are plenty of legitimate complaints when it comes to Wizards management of the game and Starcity's management of its content, but the names are so trivial that complaining about renaming the color combination is irrelevant.

Thread Information