Thread: [Podcast] Everyday Eternal 39: Sideboarding and Shenanigans

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

[Podcast] Everyday Eternal 39: Sideboarding and Shenanigans

Link!

iTunes link
    Universal feed link
    Note: We are on our own site now, so you may need to update your podcast subscription!

Everyone knows that you need to bring a full 75 cards to play competitively. But how do you choose those cards and which cards come out of the deck? The team discuss strategy for building and executing your sideboard plan along with a great many other things.

Unfortunately, we got off topic a lot with discussion ranging from Matt’s recent experience with ‘shops, this year’s major tournaments, and how upcoming banned and restricted list changes will affect those tournaments.

Timestamps:
    0:27 Joke Belcher Sideboards
    2:04 Matt’s recent experiences playing ‘Shops
    6:21 The podcast actually starts
    13:16 Sideboarding blocks of cards vs singletons
    19:04 What cards go in my sideboard?
    21:33 Sacrificing match ups AKA “The Dredge Gambit”
    23:52 Addressing classes of decks vs addressing specific decks
    28:34 Transformational sideboarding
    31:43 GenCon Vintage
    33:30 Being proactive vs being reactive
    39:32 “Next level” sideboarding
    40:47 New fakes
    51:10 Eternal Weekend and GenCon
    59:55 Banned and restricted list changes between now and GP Lille, GenCon, and Champs
    1:02:51 Neecropotence vs Brainstorm
    1:18:41 Balance
    1:21:05 Outro
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Re: [Podcast] Everyday Eternal 39: Sideboarding and Shenanigans

Hi,
    I'm interested in the moon vintage deck, got any more details or a list nedleeds talked about?

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Quote Originally Posted by KIP_NZ View Post
    Hi,
    I'm interested in the moon vintage deck, got any more details or a list nedleeds talked about?
    Link!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Dec 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA

I love this podcast, but you guys really need to mute your phones while you're recording.
    UBr Tezzeret
    Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    I mean, if you're going to play as 61st card, the card should cost over $100 I think.

Cabal Therapist
    Oct 2010
    Colchester, VT

I normally really enjoy these podcasts, and this one did have some good/helpful content, but the constant complaining about brainstorm/blue cards got old really fast. I also don't like modern/standard but even that complaining was annoying. You are either preaching to the choir or falling on deaf ears. Analyzing the flaws of a format or discussing ways it could be improved would be fine/interesting, but no one actually enjoys hearing your constant disgust. I stopped listening completely with about 20minutes left. At this point, complaining about brainstorm/blue, is beating a dead guy who died from starvation while beating a dead horse.

I guess we could review the BUG/RUG matchup that hasn't changed in 3 years or talk about how to use Brainstorm for the 45,000th time. The conversation stemmed from our review of results from GP Kyoto. If Griselbrand, Wasteland, Trinisphere or Painter's Servant had 32/32'ed a GP there would be a very real conversation about it. I don't see why the sacred fucking cow gets a pass. It's hard not to talk about results when one card is omnipresent. If nothing happens in the next few months it'll likely fade into the background again.

I really enjoyed this cast, it was a throw back to the first few casts which were rambling and unstructured as well.

Topic suggestions for future casts:
    • Finance / Entering Legacy
    • Prize Support / Local event promotion
    • Tier 3-4 decks
    • Identifying your opponent / deck before G1
    • Judge! (Get someone like Abe in to talk judge things)
    • More deck type techs with known guests

For either the Tier 3-4 or the deck tech cast (High Tide!) can we have feline on, 1 cause she knows her stuff and 2 so everyone can remind Matt about that quote on the cast about saying "he bought home SCG Seattle last time" when he in fact only got 2nd :)

The next level examples:

Storm would Next-level by SB-in Xantid Swarm and/or Dark Confidant, expecting his opponent to SB-out creature removal. But this is too well-known, people don't fall for this much anymore.

Miracles vs BUG Delver MU, this is one specific MU where Miracles would SB-out Couterbalance, in order to blank additional removals such as Golgari Charm and Pulse from the BUG Delver side.

Thread Information