4x Signal Pest
    4x Tormented Soul
    Instant (2)
    2x Rally the Peasants
    Sorcery (4)
    4x Faithless Looting
    Enchantment (4)
    4x Mardu Ascendancy

Fallen in love with Mardu Ascendancy and looking to represent the horde at FNM.

Here is how the deck plays out in Magic Christmas Land:

T1 = Tormented Soul or Bloodsoaked Champion

T2 = Signal Pest and Loyal Pegasus. Swing for 1/2 damage with T.Soul or B.Champ

T3 = Mardu Ascendancy or Rally the Peasants. Swing for 11/12 damage (total damage is 12-14)

T4 = Butcher of the Horde cleans up house.

Problems:

The Mana Base and Mana Curve are both terrible. If there are any math wizards out there I would really appreciate some feedback. Or a link to a website where I can learn basic stats. Links anybody? I am more than willing to read stats books if you can recommend one. Stats is fun :)

Card by card analysis:

Loyal Pegasus: best played on turn 2 to be followed up with Mardu Ascendancy or Rally the Peasants. Bad on T1 because only Nether Traitor can provide the extra attacker for T2

Tormented Soul: best played on Turn 1 or 2. unblockable 1CC creature. Reliable Mardu Ascendancy/Loyal Pegasus/Bloodsoaked Champion trigger

Bloodsoaked Champion: best played on Turn 1 or 2. Recursive ICC creature to provide Tymaret/Butcher some cannon fodder

Signal Pest: SUPER STAR! best played on Turn 2 because it cannot deal damage solo. colourless and battlecry is powerful with all the goblins that Mardu Ascendancy produces

Nether Traitor: I don't like this card. Its a slower, weaker B.Champ. But at least it is unblockable. The 2 Black CC is awkward as well.

Bloodghast: Acts as Nether Traitors 5-8. Imagine ditching 2 of these T1 to Faithless Looting. Again, only in Magic Christmas Land.

Faithless Looting: Improves card quality by ditching the recursive critters and spells to dig for mana and Ascendancy

Butcher of the Horde: Late game winner (Turn 4). Sac those useless Pegasus or goblin tokens for a super demon!

Mardu Ascendancy: its.. so.. drooling

Rally the Peasants: Meh.. Worse than Butcher for the Turn 4 win swing. Feels like overkill and it is a dead card if my creatures eat removal (same as Mardu Ascendancy and 1 potential dead card is enough). Butcher is at least a creature that can provide damage on its own.

Possible replacements are Immortal Servitude, Return to the Ranks, Lingering Souls, and Tymaret, the Murder King

All feedback is welcome :)
    Last edited by CheekySquirrels; 05-23-2015 at 03:25 PM.

Sep 2011

Re: Mardu Ascendancy Deck. T4 Win

What if you revamped your creature shell to exploit that the Ascendancy tokens are red Goblins?

ex:

//Creatures: 34
    4 Foundry Street Denizen
    4 Goblin Guide
    4 Signal Pest
    4 Legion Loyalist
    4 Bloodsoaked Champion
    4 Goblin Piledriver
    4 Goblin Chieftain
    2 Goblin King
    4 Butcher of the Horde

//Spells: 4
    4 Mardu Ascendancy

Maybe GG could be Pegasus (more budget friendly). But a lot of these creatures synergize better with Ascendancy.

Foundry gets +1/+0 for each token produced.
    Loyalist gives them first strike, trample and evasion.
    Pest (if stacked correctly) gives them +1/+0 as in your list.
    Piledriver (if stacked correctly) gets +2/+0 for each token produced.
    Chieftain gives them +1/+1
    King gives them +1/+1 and mountainwalk (often makes them and your team unblockable)

Altogether, I think you get more damage output from the tribal synergy than from running weak cards like Rally the Peasants.

Thread Information