get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Epic Experiment+Triggers

Epic Experiment
    Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    Brainstorm
    Pyrostatic Pillar

You and your opponent each control a Pyrostatic Pillar. You cast Epic Experiment where X=2. You exile Emrakul, the Aeons Torn and Brainstorm. You cast the Brainstorm (triggering Pyrostatic Pillar) and put the Emrakul into your graveyard (triggering itself).

Between your Pyrostatic Pillar's trigger, their Pyrostatic Pillar's trigger, Brainstorm, and Emrakul's trigger, what would be the order of resolution and why?

Re: Epic Experiment+Triggers

I hope this isn't a judge test question?

I guess your confusion might be about Epic Experiment's effect? The effect allows you to play the specified cards, so you play them right then, as the Epic Experiment is resolving.

Casting Brainstorm puts it on the stack, and triggers both Pyrostatic Pillars - but those triggers don't go on the stack yet. Then Emrakul triggers, but again, that's not the same as being put on the stack. Then Epic Experiment is finished resolving, and any waiting triggers are put on the stack in APNAP order. You have two outstanding triggers, so you can order them whichever way you want. Then the NAP Pillar trigger goes on the stack.

NAP Pillar
    AP Pillar/Emrakul
    Brainstorm
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    I hope this isn't a judge test question?
    Nope. Normal rules question. With a goal of brewing up a leaner kill, I was hoping there was something I missed in this interaction.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Ok now I have an Epic Experiment question.

Just to be sure I've got this right, you exile the cards, then choose which ones you're going to cast and in what order, including modes and targets for each. Then the rest go to the yard, then Experiment goes to the yard, and the spells start resolving (after any triggers like Pillar)?

Really just trying to make sure that if a Past in Flames shows up, that it will see the Epic Experiment in the yard when it actually resolves.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    Ok now I have an Epic Experiment question.

Just to be sure I've got this right, you exile the cards, then choose which ones you're going to cast and in what order, including modes and targets for each. Then the rest go to the yard, then Experiment goes to the yard, and the spells start resolving (after any triggers like Pillar)?

Really just trying to make sure that if a Past in Flames shows up, that it will see the Epic Experiment in the yard when it actually resolves.
    Yes and yes.

Any triggers that happened from casting the spells will be on the stack above all of the spells because the triggers go on the stack after Epic Experiment is done resolving (when someone is about to get priority).
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Thread Information