Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: #Goyfgate at GP Vegas Top 8

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

#Goyfgate at GP Vegas Top 8

I kinda missed the initial drama, but I think it's pretty hilarious:

@PascalMaynard got into the Top 8 of GP Vegas and was already in R/W when a foil Goyf was in his pack. Instead of grabbing a Burst Lightning, he decided to pick the value in form of the foil Goyf.

That caused a massive shitstorm on Twitter because lots of Pro Players, including Reid Duke, gave him shit for choosing value over a better chance to win the GP.

Now he's selling his foil Goyf on Ebay and it has a good chance to make him more money than the first place in the GP (aka lousy 4000$, despite Wizards getting ~500k $ from entries alone in that event), with it already being over 2000$ with almost 7 days left:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MTG-Foil-Tar...-/261911963536

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Re: #Goyfgate at GP Vegas Top 8

From Facebook:

Now that I've taken the time to read just about every tweets, here is what I have to say (Note that everything I replied prior this post was mostly just feeding the troll/story):

I appreciate everyone trying to support me, but the fact is, I agree with everything Owen Turtenwald, William Jensen, Josh Utter-Leyton and Reid Duke ''meant to say''. I find their choices of words a little bit aggressive, but I would've thought just about the same of any other pro in my situation.

I assume what they meant to say was that I'm disgracing the professional community because I valued money over percentages of winning more games, which is easily translated to ; Pro Players don't play Magic for money.

Some play to prove they are still among the best even with a full-time job (see Paul Rietzl).

Some play for fame.

Some play because it's a great, mind challenging game.

Some play as a lifestyle, they want money, but mostly to maintain the ability to travel, eat, pay rent and not have to work a regular job that could affect their availability. (see Owen)

I'm the latter. The truth is that I thought taking this foil Tarmogoyf, was worth more than the percentage I get from having 1 Burst Lightning in my deck. I didnt do it for the actual money, I did it because I thought this X amount of money could possibly mean going to more Grand Prix.

I had under 1 minute to take into account everything and I believe Martin Jůza had the best way to resume my quick thought process. He said, ''Would you pay 500$ to have Burst Lightning in your draft deck.''.

My answer was no. The reason why I agree with what has been said is that I forgot that I had Worlds and Platinum on the line as a result of having such little time to think.

From my lifestyle standpoint, now that I had more than 1 minute to consider what was on the line at that moment, I missplayed.

Do I regret ? From the point of view that my goal is to always find the right play in any giving situation, yes. For the story and entertainment it created ... Would do it again.

Love
    heart emoticon

- Pascal
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    —Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

Yeah I can't fault him for the money grab there. That foil GP stamped Goyf... *drool*

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013

The only real concern is why it's dubbed #GoyfGate over #TarmoGate. Other than that, some pro's are pretty butthurt that Paynard Mascal top-8'd and they didn't.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Quasim0ff View Post
    The only real concern is why it's dubbed #GoyfGate over #TarmoGate.
    Probably because it has a nicer ring to it. Alliteration and stuff.

So stupid how Huey Jensen and Owen Turtenwald responded. No Respect, and they apparently has lost all touch with humanity since they respond exactly as they do.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

I already lost a lot of respect for Owen when he told his viewers that he will not thank them for tuning in to his stream because they should actually be the ones thankful to watch him play.

Seriously, I would have totally taken the Goyf there as well. It's like a voucher for free air fare+accommodation to the next GP on your continent. Not everyone is in the fortunate position to have all of that paid for by someone else.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Seriously, I would have totally taken the Goyf there as well. It's like a voucher for free air fare+accommodation to the next GP on your continent. Not everyone is in the fortunate position to have all of that paid for by someone else.
    this.

You must have lost contact to the real world, bills and such, if you seriously flame anyone for picking a +500$ Voucher instead of a single removal spell in a draft. Heck, the story alone buffed the Goyf to +2200$ already. Good decision made.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

I windmill slam that Tarmogoyf. As far as I'm concerned, limited is just a bastard format that you play to open the cards you need for Legacy, and making day 2 or top 8 is simply an opportunity to crack more packs.

(credit to Cardboard Crack)

Lost a ton of respect for Salt Garden Oath.

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013

3.1k+$ so far.
    6d 14h to go.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Quasim0ff View Post
    3.1k+$ so far.
    6d 14h to go.
    I am starting to get the feeling that whoever wins this isn't actually going to pay.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    —Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Mar 2007

Thing is that it spins its own tale.

Once it surpasses the 4k threshold, it's worth more than the GP payout for getting #1. And the higher the bid gets, the more special it becomes, especially as a one-of-its-kind-item.

I would be suprised if it hit 10k (although I don't think it's impossible), but 7-8k doesn't seem too outlandish at this point.

Hadn't some top8er passed a foil goyf and got laughed at in MM1? Foil goyf, what a curse, never drafted right guess who is happier now...

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthepit View Post
    I windmill slam that Tarmogoyf. As far as I'm concerned, limited is just a bastard format that you play to open the cards you need for Legacy, and making day 2 or top 8 is simply an opportunity to crack more packs.
    I like that attitude

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Once it surpasses the 4k threshold, it's worth more than the GP payout for getting #1.
    Well already over $3,000 plus the $1,000 he got from the 5-8th finish means he's already surpassed top prize alone.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    I already lost a lot of respect for Owen when he told his viewers that he will not thank them for tuning in to his stream because they should actually be the ones thankful to watch him play.

Turtenwald has always been known as an asshole, I think. I'm more disappointed at Reid Duke since he's generally known to be a pretty cool guy.

If conservatives had at the hash tag, it would be #TarmoGazi.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Why is this even a thing? He made it to the top 8, what he does from there is entirely his decision.

I would have drafted it face up and started dancing.

I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    Well already over $3,000 plus the $1,000 he got from the 5-8th finish means he's already surpassed top prize alone.
    There's also the part Ebay takes, plus he said to donate half of the money he gets from the sale (unless he gets something back via a tax refund).

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    There's also the part Ebay takes, plus he said to donate half of the money he gets from the sale (unless he gets something back via a tax refund).
    eBay takes ~10% and PayPal takes ~3%. At least last time I used eBay enough to care, which was awhile ago.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.”
    -David DeLaney

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Esper3k View Post
    Turtenwald has always been known as an asshole, I think. I'm more disappointed at Reid Duke since he's generally known to be a pretty cool guy.

If conservatives had at the hash tag, it would be #TarmoGazi.
    Reid Duke: "This was a great post Pascal Maynard. I was out of line earlier today and I'm sorry. You're a good guy and a great player."

Glad to hear Reid Duke apologize for his previous words. Owen Turtenwald is a gigantic fucking asshole from what I've heard and now this just makes him a giant douche in my mind. I hope this goyf reaches $10K+ just to spite him as that's worth more than 1st place alone even with half going to charity post fees. As for how much in fees Pascal will pay I think there's a cap on those but I'm not sure having never sold a card on ebay worth 4 figures or more.

I would have taken the goyf in his position. Pay rent or be homeless. The choice is crystal clear. The odds of winning more money with a burst lightning in your deck are quite small whereas this is guaranteed profit sure Pascal couldn't have known that this controversy would drive the bids up to heaven with the card sitting at over $3k now with over 6 days remaining however in hindsight his comment "For the story and entertainment it created ... Would do it again." explains his position quite well as he's probably just laughing right now as he watches the bids continue to escalate and how much he stands to gain from #goyfgate.
    Bread Connoisseur on MTGSalvation Forums
    Currently Playing:
    All flavors of storm combo
    Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix
    Lands is a joke for Solidarity. Its like asking a morbidly obese parapalegic to run the mile with his shoes tied.

Thread Information