Thread: [EDH] Dragonlord Silumgar

May 2011
    Albany, NY

[EDH] Dragonlord Silumgar

Blue black steal your girl/control hybrid that's basically trying to out-value opponents by straight up taking their stuff and using it against them. There's a minor flicker thing going on too, since flickering what you steal with Silumgar means you get to keep it, and flickering stuff like Hostage Taker or Gonti, Lord of Luxury is usually pretty good.

Commander:
    Dragonlord Silumgar

Creatures:
    Baleful Strix
    Gilded Drake
    Snapcaster Mage
    Chasm Skulker
    Plaguecrafter
    Trophy Mage
    Royal Assassin
    Thief of Sanity
    Phyrexian Metamorph
    Ravenous Chupacabra
    Solemn Simulacrum
    Vizier of Many Faces
    Hostage Taker
    Gonti, Lord of Luxury
    Tradewind Rider
    Mulldrifter
    Havengul Lich
    Mesmerizing Benthid
    Gray Merchant of Asphodel
    Massacre Wurm
    Consecrated Sphinx
    Deadeye Navigator
    Nezahal, Primal Tide

Instants:
    Vampiric Tutor
    Swan Song
    Cyclonic Rift
    Go for the Throat
    Soul Manipulation
    Hero's Downfall
    Ghostly Flicker
    Stroke of Genius
    Fact or Fiction
    Memory Plunder
    Insidious Will
    Mystic Confluence
    Wretched Confluence

Sorcery:
    Reanimate
    Ponder
    Esxanguinate
    Demonic Tutor
    Toxic Deluge
    Notion Rain
    Damnation
    Rite of Replication
    Beacon of Unrest
    Entreat the Dead

Artifacts:
    Sol Ring
    Expedition Map
    Thought Vessel
    Dimir Signet
    Talisman of Dominance
    Mimic Vat
    Unstable Obelisk
    Oblivion Stone
    Crystal Ball
    Proteus Staff
    Tawnos's Coffin
    Conjurer's Closet

Enchantments:
    Search for Azcanta
    Oversold Cemetery
    Phyrexian Arena
    Mind's Dilation

Lands:
    Watery Grave
    Sunken Hollow
    Fetid Pools
    Polluted Delta
    Bad River
    Drowned Catacomb
    Sunken Ruins
    Underground River
    Darkslick Shores
    Creeping Tar Pit
    Dimir Aqueduct
    Temple of Deceit
    River of Tears
    Command Tower
    Reliquary Tower
    Bojuka Bog
    High Market
    Arcane Lighthouse
    Volrath's Stronghold
    Strip Mine
    Academy Ruins
    8 Island
    8 Swamp
    Last edited by Davran; 02-15-2019 at 08:55 AM.

Re: [EDH] Dragonlord Silumgar

Is Mindslaver recursion even really all that bad? It gets shut down by graveyard hate, non-basic land hate, artifact hate, misc hate like Pithing Needle, and it costs 12 mana (plus using Ruins, so effectively 13 mana). It's a true late-game WinCon, I really don't get why people whine about it so much.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Killane View Post
    Is Mindslaver recursion even really all that bad? It gets shut down by graveyard hate, non-basic land hate, artifact hate, misc hate like Pithing Needle, and it costs 12 mana (plus using Ruins, so effectively 13 mana). It's a true late-game WinCon, I really don't get why people whine about it so much.
    I agree with you completely. That said, how reasonable of a win con is slaver locking someone anyway? Seems to me like you just end up playing quasi-2 headed giant while you take on the other two players by playing two decks at once. I've been playing Mindslaver as a sort of "punishment" for people who I feel have been overly aggressive toward me during the game. Everyone who wasn't just slavered has a laugh or two as I blunder through messing up their board as much as possible and the game moves on. Doing it over and over again for "value" seems like kind of a dick move.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

I've really been having a blast with this deck. A couple minor changes:

- Extract from Darkness, + Beacon of Unrest

Beacon seems like a pretty easy upgrade here. I like Extract as a card, but the mill is usually irrelevant. Plus, Beacon can grab an artifact and shuffles itself back in.

- Illusionist's Gambit, + Makeshift Mannequin

Neither of these cards is particularly stellar, but Mannequin seems like it will be more relevant more often than a 4 mana fog.

- Mindslaver, + Puppeteer Clique

Mindslaver brought me all kinds of hate and salt despite having no way to actually recur it, so it's out. I suppose it's for the best as the thing is clunky and fairly meh as a 1-of effect.

- Island, + Academy Ruins

No more Mindslaver means I can run this with 100% less guilt. Win-win.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

Necroing the hell out of this thread because I keep coming back to this deck for whatever reason. It's together for a while, then it's apart for something else...but I keep putting it back together again so there must be something here. The list in the OP is basically all new because my old one wasn't very good.

I'm really keen on getting Ghostly Flicker in here, but I'm not sure what the cut is yet. I might also pick up a Mission Briefing at some point since it's basically a second Snapcaster Mage for me.

Finally, I'm not sold on my fatties at all. Consecrated Sphinx is certainly the best one, but maybe Deadeye Navigator should be in there somewhere since it's OK with some of my creatures. I just wish it did more with Silumgar.

Deadeye is basically another, bigger version of Nephalia Smuggler, no? Seems to be a good, repeatable flicker effect if you can find the room for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Look at the bright side, if Legacy becomes like Vintage all of us old dudes can get together, drink whiskey, and smoke cigars while we play the gentleman's format. Like an MtG speak-easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    And the Reserved List causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their portfolios: and that no man might buy or sell cards or Chinese rip offs, save he made a post about the Reserved List or the number of its Threads: 666.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

Quote Originally Posted by ronco View Post
    Deadeye is basically another, bigger version of Nephalia Smuggler, no? Seems to be a good, repeatable flicker effect if you can find the room for it.
    It is and it isn't. The catch is the way Silumgar is worded, and also how soulbond works. If I soulbond with Silumgar and flicker, I lose whatever I had previously stolen. Smuggler is a little different in that I can blink the thing that I stole, which I then get to keep no matter what happens to Silumgar.

The other catch is that either Navigator or whatever you want to soulbond with has to enter the battlefield for it to work, which means you have to jump through some hoops to have Navigator blink whatever Silumgar stole (cast some other thing and bond, then flicker Navigator and bond with the stolen creature).

I'm sure there are a non-zero number of instances where the "drawbacks" aren't drawbacks at all, which is why Navigator is on my radar in the first place. The current list has 11 potential bonding targets other than Silumgar himself, so it's probably still worth it...but I'd love a couple more ETB triggers before fully committing.

To that end, I've been eyeing Posessed Skaab as a sort of Eternal Witness impersonator. I don't think the exile clause is a huge deal breaker, but maybe it is?

If it's paired with Silumgar, Can't you just:
    Use the ability on Navigator only (thus unbinding) and when it reenters, bind it with the stolen creature, use the flicker on both stolen creature and navigator, bringing the creature back into play as a new entity and thus unaffected by silumgar leaving play, while re-binding the navigator on silumgar for repeats as needed and do some more stealing.

I get that it's a bit mana intensive, but that was kind of where my head was at. It would work that way, wouldn't it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Look at the bright side, if Legacy becomes like Vintage all of us old dudes can get together, drink whiskey, and smoke cigars while we play the gentleman's format. Like an MtG speak-easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    And the Reserved List causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their portfolios: and that no man might buy or sell cards or Chinese rip offs, save he made a post about the Reserved List or the number of its Threads: 666.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

Quote Originally Posted by ronco View Post
    If it's paired with Silumgar, Can't you just:
    Use the ability on Navigator only (thus unbinding) and when it reenters, bind it with the stolen creature, use the flicker on both stolen creature and navigator, bringing the creature back into play as a new entity and thus unaffected by silumgar leaving play, while re-binding the navigator on silumgar for repeats as needed and do some more stealing.

I get that it's a bit mana intensive, but that was kind of where my head was at. It would work that way, wouldn't it?
    Yeah, you're right. I don't know why I didn't get there yesterday.

Made a quick change:

Out:
    Vedalken Orrery

In:
    Ghostly Flicker

May 2011
    Albany, NY

Made a few changes:

Out:
    Nephalia Smuggler
    Shadowmage Infiltrator
    Sower of Discord
    Infernal Offering
    Chaos Wand

In:
    Mesmerizing Benthid
    Deadeye Navigator
    Entreat the Dead
    Proteus Staff
    Tawnos's Coffin

Sower is fun and all, but it's not really what this deck wants to be doing. Deadeye Navigator is, so it's a pretty easy swap.

Mesmerizing Benthid is probably not great, but it does make a couple of somewhat relevant chump blockers with every flicker, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

I like Infernal Offering as a political tool, but it's ultimately a pretty "fair" card. I'd rather do something a little less "fair", so I'm going to give Entreat the Dead a shot.

Chaos Wand is a neat card that I definitely want to find something to do with, but I don't think this particular deck is that thing. Proteus Staff is right on theme though.

Nephalia Smuggler is fine, but being a creature (and a 1/1 at that) is a big liability. Tawnos's Coffin is essentially the same thing in artifact form, plus it has that sweet old school flavor.

Thread Information