Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Era of Legacy?

Mar 2007
    RI

Re: Best Era of Legacy?

Quote Originally Posted by Varal View Post
    I would say right before they printed True-Name Nemesis.
    I felt best with my deck choice / knowledge of the format / whatever, ability to play against the field at this point, 2012.

The metagame I played in, but wish I'd had a deeper understanding / skill level during was like the 2008-2009 meta with GBR Survival. I played several decks in that era - Goblins, Landstill, Survival, Thresh, but if a redo or timetravel option was open I wish I'd mastered '08-'09 Survival.
    TPDMC

Jan 2013
    Ontario, Canada

Thinking about it a little more... I really liked Avacyn Restored set

Griselbrand is just so awesome, plus I already liked playing Sneak and Show and Reanimtor before then
    Pox
    Imperial Painter
    Team America

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

To me, the last 3 years have felt the same, like little changed. Sure you have TNN but other than that, it feels like the same old, same old.

To me the most fun was Goblins, Canadian, Solidarity. But I am a Goblins nut so I would say that.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    This reminds me of when people talk about their favorite SNL cast. No one ever looks favorably on the current cast... It's always about the cast from a few years ago. Even though the critics said that cast sucked too.

Everybody views the past through the Sunglasses of Urza.
    Nostalgia googles are one thing, but the current meta sucks ass. Not only is it incredible stale, but I also don't think there are that many people that would lionize it:

"I sure love to run into a blue cantrip-based shell 4 out of 5 times. This what Legacy is all about, what a time to be alive!"

My favorite is the Summer of Maverick. There were all kinds of things going on then.

I guess I just wish I could play Goblins again. RIP, gotta go pour some out for my little green men.

What Would Ravenous Baloth Do?
    May 2008
    Connecticut

Aside from the Flash-Hulk era, I've always liked Legacy. I think people in general look back on the past through the lenses of nostalgia. It's kind of like when someone says music was so much better in the 90s and they list all their favorite songs/bands of the decade. But if I transported you back to '95 and turned on the radio there would be a ton of shitty songs you've forgotten about, just like all the shit on the radio we complain about today.

Remember back when a lot of Sourcers were bitching about goyf-this and goyf-that? It doesn't feel like that long ago. But guess what, the format evolved and now we bitch about Brainstorm (just an example guys let's not get this thread locked!). Sometimes I think we're a bunch of spoiled little kids who don't realize how good the format has been, and still is right now. Sure there's a lot of blue shell but there's also a ton of diversity.

There's a guy on Reddit (dafrk3in) who lists the major archetypes after each big tournament. You know what the biggest category is by far? Not miracles, not shit with delver in it, it's Other. It's all the various decks you see on the 5 pages of the "Established decks" on this site. That's diversity my friends. Compare that to Modern or Vintage or whatever. Sure you see the classic blue shell decks in the Top 8s and 16s a lot, but let's not forget about Lands, Elves, MUD, Storm, D&T, Jund, Burn etc. Sometimes I wish fine-tuning my deck only involved testing it against the cantrip cartel decks. That would be a lot less work.

What I like about Magic in general is that you can build a deck to foil any deck. Sometimes it's not a rock > paper >scissor thing. Sometimes it's more like Pokemon (sorry 90s kid here) where you have ground > electric > water > fire > grass > ground. That's what Legacy is like. The format keeps itself in check without Wizards typically having to jump in like an overprotective mom who's upset there was some rough play at the soccer meet and little Cody couldn't keep up with the bigger boys (Modern). /rant
    Fools dig for water, corpses or gold
    The ice in my teeth keep the Cristal cold
    I be shoot'n lava around like an uzi
    Watch me turn this glacier into a jacuzzi
    I'm so hot people standing around me, just to stay warm
    Castin' so many spells looks like I'm playin' Storm
    I fuck all your creatures without any lotion
    Skeet in yo face, Erratic Explosion
    Every time you look I'm doing 2 to your dome!
    So scoop up your cards and take your broke ass home

-G.L.M.

Ooh... Shiny!

Aug 2005
    Raincouver

2008 to March 2010.

Edit; It's been 5 years. Damn.

Joe Cool Above All
    Sep 2007

I'm pretty sure this is just another thread to complain about Brainstorm....

From TNN-TC felt really good.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Merfolk, Zoo, Threshold was a good time. Brainstorm was already acknowledged as the best card in the game at that time. And I recall a number of people trying to shoehorn it into Merfolk and Zoo (blue zoo, anyone?), but the format had quite a lot of good decks at tier 1.5.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

2010 before Mystical Tutor ban, did not play before 2009, should have returned to the game sooner :/ but happy to experience this era at least a bit, the real decline started by Batterskull for me

Hey guys, let's do it! The blue yonder awaits! Yahoo!
    Apr 2011
    The World

Best era was back when Goblins was really playable in the meta. Still, I just have lot of fun either way, so I can't really speak about The Best Era.
    "Be it ever so crumbled, there's no place like home."

RGCL (GQ)

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Welcome aboard, in her dark name we do dedicate this performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    That actually sounds erotic.
    Youtube-playlist dedicated to RGCL

..sry, whut? ◔̯◔
    Jan 2008
    Germany

I like the format most, when big things happen. Like Mentap Misstep or Treasure Cruise. Sadly WotC wants to conserve the format boring as shit.
    Got tired of Legacy and you like drafts? Try my Paupercube What?

Quote Originally Posted by Holiday View Post
    I think people in general look back on the past through the lenses of nostalgia.
    I think people tend to like the eras where they can play the decks their favorite decks. Me, I've been pretty happy ever since the new Legend rule which gave Lands.dec a huge shot in the arm. People who really liked Goblins or Jund or High Tide (or whatever) will remember a different era more fondly.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

About 2008 to early 2010, especially when Bant Survival was a thing yet Vengevine had not entered the scene. Of all the thinks, Rhox War Monk was a highly playable card and people were playing Mind Harness in Merfolk to have game against it. To me that will always have a special place in my heart as the best time.

I mean, I also enjoyed Legacy in 2005/6/7 etc. but I really was way too much of a newbie back then. I would have enjoyed playing Tic/Tac/Toe just as much.

Another time I really enjoyed was mid/late 2011 when straight-up GW Maverick was maybe the best deck in the format and putting Swords on Thrun was what you did against Control deck.

/Edit: a lot of people seem to have really enjoyed 2008-10. Can we go back there please? I also enjoyed very early when it was Landstill vs Goblins vs Solidarity. Even though Solidarity was a huge house and crushed most decks in the format if played correctly. But who am I kidding, hardly anyone I knew played "correctly" back then.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Jun 2013
    Hasselt, Belgium

I definately enjoyed the era from mystical tutor ban until the arrival of delver the most.
    fuck delver

Sep 2004
    Raleigh, NC

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post

/Edit: a lot of people seem to have really enjoyed 2008-10. Can we go back there please? I also enjoyed very early when it was Landstill vs Goblins vs Solidarity. Even though Solidarity was a huge house and crushed most decks in the format if played correctly. But who am I kidding, hardly anyone I knew played "correctly" back then.
    People keep referencing this trio, but the idea that landstill was at the same popularity or power level as goblins and solidarity surprises me. Some people played landstill, but I seem to recall it being something of a punch-line because it was a control deck that lost to both the premier aggro deck and the premier combo deck. Threshold filled the control deck postion much more effectively. The time period that landstill was a real force was prior to the separation of the banned lists, when you could mana drain and then cast disk.

Quote Originally Posted by Humphrey View Post
    I like the format most, when big things happen. Like Mentap Misstep or Treasure Cruise. Sadly WotC wants to conserve the format boring as shit.
    Yeah, I like when formats are like the wild west.

Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Slag View Post
    People keep referencing this trio, but the idea that landstill was at the same popularity or power level as goblins and solidarity surprises me. Some people played landstill, but I seem to recall it being something of a punch-line because it was a control deck that lost to both the premier aggro deck and the premier combo deck. Threshold filled the control deck postion much more effectively. The time period that landstill was a real force was prior to the separation of the banned lists, when you could mana drain and then cast disk.
    That sounds about right. I remember Landstill sideboards having a LOT of Goblin hate though. We're talking stuff like Tivadar's Crusade. In my area (Munich) easily made up 20% of the entire metagame, if not more. Unlike the Miracles mirror though, I really enjoyed their long drawn our mirror matches, fighting over small ressource advantages to eventually grind out a win. Having access to Crucible was of course just great. And Eternal Dragon, oh good old dragon :)
    4. Stifle Standstill.

Jul 2008
    NJ USA

2012: UWx Stoneforge vs RUG Delver vs GW Maverick vs Combo deck of the week

I know it's bad for the game, BUT I like it when top tier deck diversity is low. The format of that era was one of the spikiest eras, since wins were rewarded to players who knew match-ups very well and knew how to play the combat phase very well. Additionally, the three non-combo decks had extra rewards for mastering basic Magic, since they commonly transitioned between offense and defense roles during a game. In a way it was like Legacy became a battle of Core Set Limited decks, which was sweet imo.

Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Quote Originally Posted by mishima_kazuya View Post
    commonly transitioned between offense and defense roles during a game
    That is something I am dearly missing as well in today's meta.
    4. Stifle Standstill.

Thread Information