Thread: [Podcast] The Brainstorm Show episode 10: Brewing / Mentor Tempo

[Podcast] The Brainstorm Show episode 10: Brewing / Mentor Tempo

Hey guys, check out episode 10 of The Brainstorm Show! In this episode we discuss "brewing." We also created a new deck of our own and hope you like what we came up with.

http://www.thebrainstormshow.com/pod...ainstorm-boys/

Re: [Podcast] The Brainstorm Show episode 10: Brewing / Mentor Tempo

If you care about mentor that much, I don't see why you are not running Cavern of soul.

Site Contributor

Feb 2015
    Detroit, MI

Hi Guys,

I like the podcast and enjoy the detailed analysis of certain decks and their match ups. I'd be interested in a discussion of Standstill strategies since hearing that Phillip is a fan of the card.

Also, glad to hear you give credit to Legacy Breakfast for their cast.

I deeply enjoyed this episode. It was well-planned, smoothly executed, and definitely inspired me to try the deck under discussion as well as others. However, I didn't stick with the Mentor Tempo list for long. Monastery Mentor has a significant drawback, related to the mana cost, that wasn't really addressed on the podcast despite all the attention given to the cost.

It's not always easy to have enough gas left in hand to go crazy with an army of Wild Nacatls. If I need to fight over things in the early game, much of the action is over by the time Mentor hits the table. I'm lucky to get any tokens out of him at all in that case. When I get 1-2 tokens out of it, but the Mentor dies and I've had to use StP on something, those 1-2 tokens have a lot of work to do. DRS shocks are also a lot less threatening when Lightning Bolt gets switched for Swords to Plowshares.

In the end, I'm not really sure whether the problem is Swords to Plowshares' life gain or Monastery Mentor's tendency to hit play when my hand is already basically gone... but I tried switching Mentor out for Young Pyromancer and putting Lightning Bolts into the deck. I think it's much more promising.

I just played a few games with the deck against my own Sylvan Plug. Mentor is so powerful.

Casting a gripful of spells into Chalice on one was satisfying. Despite each one getting countered they produced a game winning army. I was casting Swords on my own creatures at one point and making sure the Chalice trigger wasn't "forgotten".

I look forward to taking this deck out for a spin and really seeing what it can do.

Plus: Also appreciated the Legacy Breakfast shoutout, those guys produce good work.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2013

I enjoy the podcast, but seriously Philip needs to stop saying 'Like' every 2-3 words. It's very annoying and distracts from otherwise good content.

Quote Originally Posted by twndomn View Post
    If you care about mentor that much, I don't see why you are not running Cavern of soul.
    Cavern of Souls in a deck with 28 spells doesn't seem ideal, if you want to cast your spells on schedule. We also have a nice suite of counters to battle over counters, but it is certainly a consideration. It hurts worse when you resolve him and he gets Decayed.

Jun 2008
    Central NY

Quote Originally Posted by ScottW View Post
    ...I'd be interested in a discussion of Standstill strategies since hearing that Phillip is a fan of the card...
    Seconded! I love me some Standstill.

Thread Information