Thread: Synergy with Tarmogoyf

Synergy with Tarmogoyf

I'm trying to build a sort of dredgevine deck but for legacy, possibly BUG not just because of FoW but because of Skaab Ruinator.

Wanted to know which are good cards to fill your graveyard with, and that actually work from your graveyard (Wonder, Skaab Ruinator, etc), that are not available for the Modern iteration.

Thanks

BTW, how do I link card names to their pictures, it's something like [card] [/card] or something?

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Re: Sinergy with Tarmogoyf

In legacy, the graveyard fills itself.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by KobeBryan View Post
    In Soviet Legacy, graveyard fill YOU!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Thank you for your very informative and knowledge-filled replies

You have changed my life

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Quote Originally Posted by addict insane View Post
    BTW, how do I link card names to their pictures, it's something like [card] [/card] or something?
    as you have it, but "cards" not "card"
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Hello and welcome,

You may want to check the Primers threads in the Established Decks forum for decks such as Manaless Dredge, Reanimator, and various other graveyard decks (Cephalid Breakfeast ?) for various cards that fill and/or interact with the graveyard.

Be aware that since Legacy features both extremely potent graveyard hate and extremely powerful graveyard decks, playing a graveyard-centric deck with the purpose of playing mid-sized threats and synergising with Tarmogoyf may open you to hate without bringing the benefits of broken plays. YMMV, of course.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Thank you for your very informative and knowledge-filled replies

You have changed my life
    The non-snarky answer is that Legacy already uses spells and effects which are at such a premium mana cost (as close to 0 as possible) that your graveyard is incidentally going to have multiple card types in it. Moreover, since Tarmogoyf is different from other Lhurgoyfs and only cares about each type of card - adding extra Instants to the yard doesn't matter, only the first one matters - that actively filling your graveyard with the purpose of playing larger Goyfs is superfluous. Finally, since Goyf looks at your opponent's graveyard as well, the actual effort a player has to go through in order to ensure that Tarmogoyf is worth the inclusion is... well, okay, there is no effort.

Having said all that your title is misleading, since you go on to focus more on Dredgevine than strictly Goyf. Skaab Ruinator is a pile in Legacy, if you're really looking to drum up a Dredge list then start by forgetting about Modern lists because they contain cards that would be considered filler at best in Legacy. These lists are a little...suspect... but check out these lists that Top 8'd for some inspiration: http://mtgtop8.com/archetype?a=21&meta=39&f=LE

You'll probably need LEDs if you want this deck to be worth the gamble - it's hard to beat that effect in a deck like this. I don't think Dredge has been nearly as monstrous lately as it has in the past, or at least I don't see a whole lot of action on the subject, but yeah, start with that stuff and forget about the Modern lists for a second

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Quote Originally Posted by KobeBryan
    Yeah. I'm fairly certain that he was entirely serious.

On a related note, when Tarmo was very, very new, a variety of decks popped up to try to "maximize" it. All of the testers and proponents came to the same conclusion in about a month: There was no need to try very hard. In fact since Tarmo was the immediate and universal replacement for Werebear, people began using less graveyard fillers. Cards like Mental Note quickly went from staple to the wayside.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Re: Synergy with Tarmogoyf

Btw there were still versions of RUG with Tarfire just to bump Tarmo p/t.

Thanks to all.

So, are there no cases whatsoever in legacy matches where tarmogoyfs aren't fed? What happens if stuff gets exiled instead of entering the graveyard? In a deck like zoo, where your only card types are creature, land and instant, if the opp doesn't fill the graveyard do you just keep tarmos as 3/4?

I agree on the fact that building a graveyard-based deck just for tarmogoyf and friends is not worth it at legacy competition level. I guess dredgevine exists in Modern because Dread Return is banned there.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Thanks to all.

So, are there no cases whatsoever in legacy matches where tarmogoyfs aren't fed? What happens if stuff gets exiled instead of entering the graveyard? In a deck like zoo, where your only card types are creature, land and instant, if the opp doesn't fill the graveyard do you just keep tarmos as 3/4?

I agree on the fact that building a graveyard-based deck just for tarmogoyf and friends is not worth it at legacy competition level. I guess dredgevine exists in Modern because Dread Return is banned there.
    The point isn't necessarily to top out Goyf - as long as it's even so much as a 4/5 for 1G, it's larger than any number of similarly costed Green beaters that came before. And that isn't exactly tough to do - as many have said, the natural flow of the game will push Goyf into 4- or 5-power quite easily and quickly. You legitimately will never need or want to go out of your way to do so; goldfish a list with Goyf a few times, and then pretend that your opponent is contributing 1-2 power to that equation (because they almost certainly are).

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Thanks to all.

What more do you want than a 3/4 creature for 1G. Zoo also has sorcery.

And to answer your first question, yes. the card is called Rest in Peace.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Thanks to all.

Actually, D+T has a funny habit of stymieing the Tarmos in RUG (or whatever the hell SCG is calling it). Aside from simply bringing in RiP, virtually all of D+T's "removal" does not actually use the graveyard at all. Just Wasteland and blocking. And Swords to Plowshares is the only nonpermanent in the main. So, yeah using exile or tuck effects makes a difference.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Thanks to all.

Yes, you cast a 3/4 for 1g and be happy with it. Jesus christ, what more do you want from the guy? He's only the best vanilla beater ever printed.

edit: @Kobe, just saw your post. Had a laugh.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Thanks to all.

Have you played a game in the format? Not to be snarky, but honestly, have you?
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

I think the format needs a new creature. a 1G that can grow like a goyf, switch its power and toughness with a (1) activation, (1): Flying (1) split second phasing, (1) untargetable, (1) unblockable, (1) all nonbasics become mountains, Draw: at the beginning of your draw phase, draw 3 cards, put 2 back in any order, you may keep 1 more card for 2 life.

I would also like to add that this guy must be printed at common.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

I guess dredgevine exists in Modern because Dread Return is banned there.
    I think you hit the nail on it's head.

Thread Information