Thread: Searing Spear Askari vs Dream Fighter (Flanking vs Phasing)

Feb 2015
    Berkeley, CA

Searing Spear Askari vs Dream Fighter (Flanking vs Phasing)

What will happen if I attack with Searing Spear Askari and my opponent blocks it with Dream Fighter?

Options:
    a) both Askari and Fighter phase out before flanking takes effect,
    b) flanking takes effect first and Fighter leaves play (dies), however Askari phases out.

Based on the Mirage FAQ I think that (b) is correct, but not sure and would appreciate if someone could confirm this.

Q: What effects can happen between assigning a creature to block Dream Fighter and the creatures phasing out?
    A: Dream Fighter's ability is a triggered effect, so only other triggered effects (and mana sources) can be played before Dream Fighter and the creature blocking it or blocked by it phase out. The phasing takes place even if an effect like flanking causes Dream Fighter to leave play.
    ---
    Carpe Diem

Apr 2008
    Czech Republic

Re: Searing Spear Askari vs Dream Fighter (Flanking vs Phasing)

Both abilities are triggered at the same time (assigne blocker).

Triggered abilities of the active player go on the stack first.

I.e. flanking goes on the stack first, phase out second. I.e. both creatures phase out before the flanking can does anything.

I'd hope the look of the page would maybe hint that the Mirage FAQ is a historical document. Great if you're interested in what the rules were like in 1996, not so great otherwise. FAQs are pretty much only good for the prerelease/release.

If you want more up to date rules tips, check Gatherer. The only place the actual rules are is in the rules.

In any case, as humppa noted, you're asking about two triggered abilities ("whenever"), so you don't have to know anything except the basic rules for triggers.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Feb 2015
    Berkeley, CA

humppa and cdr, thank you very much for clarifications. Makes perfect sense now.

I was not interested in what the rules were like in 1996 because these are the rules I remember, more or less . We were playing Mirage draft and when this situation with Askari vs Fighter happened, we weren't sure how to resolve it, checked on-line, and found the Mirage FAQ. It was a bit misleading, but ... live and learn.
    ---
    Carpe Diem

Thread Information