Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [Legacy Lessons] Top 6 Decks - Top 6 Recommendations - GP Lille

Re: [Legacy Lessons] Top 6 Decks - Top 6 Recommendations - GP Lille

Nice article and very on top of things with even the mention of the splashes in D&T which is a brand new thing.

We are lost. We can never go home.
    May 2011
    Noricum

Quote Originally Posted by Bahra View Post
    Nice article and very on top of things with even the mention of the splashes in D&T which is a brand new thing.
    Thank you very much, Marc!

See you next week. :)

Greetings
    My articles here, here, here and here | My current list | Follow me on Twitter | Questions I answered.

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by Einherjer View Post
    Thank you for your comment, Sir.

Greetings
    I do appreciate your article. It was very thorough and with that type of attention to details I expect you to do well.

Oct 2013
    Berlin

Sure, I'd gladly sign that Boseiju, though I'd prefer to sign Ponder/Tops, but why not! :)
    I'm a little bit confused. Are you Ralph Horsley, Dan Scott, Mark Tedin or Michael Sutfin?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
    TEAM MtG Berlin

"Dredge isn't a deck, it's public masturbation with graveyard triggers."

Quote Originally Posted by phazonmutant View Post
    So dismissive.
    Quote Originally Posted by danyul View Post
    This thread is great. I've been able to save so much money on seasoning! Whenever I'm eating something bland, I just wander over here to borrow some of the infinite salt.

May 2011
    Noricum

Quote Originally Posted by meffeo View Post
    I'm a little bit confused. Are you Ralph Horsley, Dan Scott, Mark Tedin or Michael Sutfin?
    No, I'm not. My name is Philipp Schönegger, as seen in all the articles linked and posted by me.

Greetings

Edit: No, excuse me. Yes, I am all of them.
    Last edited by Einherjer; 06-24-2015 at 11:46 AM.
    My articles here, here, here and here | My current list | Follow me on Twitter | Questions I answered.

Dec 2010
    Beijing/Shenzhen

HI, Philipp, do you consider Canadian Thresh is good deck for today‘s meta?As I see you mention stifle+wasteland many times and you imply the best delver deck is one with lightning bolt, also you suggest tarmogoyf to crush grixis's small creature.

I assume it has a decent match-up in general and can punish those decks with too greedy manabase.
    Team Blood, Beijing.
    Currently play: Sneaky Show/ Lands

May 2011
    Noricum

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinZ View Post
    HI, Philipp, do you consider Canadian Thresh is good deck for today‘s meta?As I see you mention stifle+wasteland many times and you imply the best delver deck is one with lightning bolt, also you suggest tarmogoyf to crush grixis's small creature.

I assume it has a decent match-up in general and can punish those decks with too greedy manabase.
    Hey,

I'm sorry if I couldn't address this in due manner but I believe the 4-C Delver variants to be the best incarnation of Delver at the moment. It can be Grixis with Green for Decay or BUG with R or RUG with B, whatever, this has still to be worked out. (which is one of the fields that I want to invest in after the GP) - So I'd say that 4-C Delver with Goyf and Stifle is def. a very good place to be right now but I don't see Nimble Mongoose staying in the deck, to be honest. Dig Through Time is just too good not to play it. :)

Greetings

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    My prediction is based on the anecdotal evidence that players will draw because they top / fetch too slowly and shuffle endlessly OR the miracles player is matched to an opponent that's just not really fast. I'm pretty sure I could draw against any miracles opponent just by pile shuffling 2 times every time you crack a fetch land; and that's not even slow play.
    If my opponent pile shuffled my deck every time I cracked a fetch, I would instantly calling a judge on them for stalling. So there's that.

Philipp, great article, but that Sulfur Elemental in the Miracles sideboard sticks out like a sore thumb. Do you think the Death & Taxes matchup is so bad that it requires such a specific hate card? In the past you've talked about wanting sideboard cards to be useful in varying matchups, and Sulfur Elemental seems like the exact opposite of that.

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Hey,

I'm sorry if I couldn't address this in due manner but I believe the 4-C Delver variants to be the best incarnation of Delver at the moment. It can be Grixis with Green for Decay or BUG with R or RUG with B, whatever, this has still to be worked out. (which is one of the fields that I want to invest in after the GP) - So I'd say that 4-C Delver with Goyf and Stifle is def. a very good place to be right now but I don't see Nimble Mongoose staying in the deck, to be honest. Dig Through Time is just too good not to play it. :)

Greetings
    I'm allways happy when people play more fodder for D&T :) RUG is a good match up. 4c is an even better one :)

May 2011
    Noricum

Quote Originally Posted by PhyrexianLibrarian View Post
    If my opponent pile shuffled my deck every time I cracked a fetch, I would instantly calling a judge on them for stalling. So there's that.

Philipp, great article, but that Sulfur Elemental in the Miracles sideboard sticks out like a sore thumb. Do you think the Death & Taxes matchup is so bad that it requires such a specific hate card? In the past you've talked about wanting sideboard cards to be useful in varying matchups, and Sulfur Elemental seems like the exact opposite of that.
    Thank you very much!

Sulfur Elemental is actually way better than it seems. At first it deals with Death and Taxes, which isn't really a good MU if you cut down to 20 lands. Secondly, and most importantly, it deals with Mentor. But Mentor also deals with Mentor you might say? Well, only if you resolve him around the same time. Sulfur Elemental can be drawn at the last possible turn and still wipe you a whole army of tokens without being able to be countered. Additionally, if you don't know if your opponent brings Mentor or not, just bring Sulfur, it'll be a good card vs Jace/Balance in any way and is outstanding vs Mentor. Additionally it's an extra clock vs certain combo decks and can act as a creature to attack should you run low on time. Unless your deck has a strong Mentor plan (2+ Mentors and probably Cavern aswell) you should def. play Sulfur Elemental in Miracles for the time being. :)

Greetings

Dec 2010
    Beijing/Shenzhen

Hey,

Greetings
    Thank u, but I don't know if the trading of consistency for more power is really the right call(I mean the manabase). Dig is for me too annoyed to play or play against.
    Team Blood, Beijing.
    Currently play: Sneaky Show/ Lands

May 2011
    Noricum

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinZ View Post
    Thank u, but I don't know if the trading of consistency for more power is really the right call(I mean the manabase). Dig is for me too annoyed to play or play against.
    My pleasure! :)

Well, I haven't really seen a really good argument why Delver variants shouldn't incorporate that card. It's just too good, to be perfectly honest. And there is still straight Grixis with Dig, without losing any manabase consistencies.

Greetings

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

This was a good article and pretty comprehensive. I was a little surprised that there was no mention of MUD as a recommended deck - it's hard for me to think of a time in Legacy when that deck was better positioned.
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

May 2011
    Noricum

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Arzar View Post
    This was a good article and pretty comprehensive. I was a little surprised that there was no mention of MUD as a recommended deck - it's hard for me to think of a time in Legacy when that deck was better positioned.
    Thank you very much!

MUD is def. a very good choice right now but there are a couple of reasons I didn't recommend it:

1) I haven't had a decent amount of testing done with it. And I hardly claim anything without having either tested it myself or seen the testing results of people I trust. This wasn't the case.

2) Even if MUD had a good percentage versus the field it would still probably be inferior to Death and Taxes as they both fill the same role, but Death and Taxes does it more consistently. I mean, no deck in Legacy is better than MUDs best draws but I wouldn't want to play the less consistent variant of an archetype at a tournament. Death and Taxes just seems much more suited for it.

But do expect a highlight on MUD in the future as it's one of the decks that I plan on working on after GP Lille, that are Grixis Control, 4 C Delver and MUD. :)

Greetings

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Thank you very much!

MUD is def. a very good choice right now but there are a couple of reasons I didn't recommend it:

1) I haven't had a decent amount of testing done with it. And I hardly claim anything without having either tested it myself or seen the testing results of people I trust. This wasn't the case.

2) Even if MUD had a good percentage versus the field it would still probably be inferior to Death and Taxes as they both fill the same role, but Death and Taxes does it more consistently. I mean, no deck in Legacy is better than MUDs best draws but I wouldn't want to play the less consistent variant of an archetype at a tournament. Death and Taxes just seems much more suited for it.

But do expect a highlight on MUD in the future as it's one of the decks that I plan on working on after GP Lille, that are Grixis Control, 4 C Delver and MUD. :)

Greetings
    Oh ok, your reasoning makes sense. I look forward to that feature!

On Dnt (which I'm also a fan of), I would say they're better at attacking different archetypes. DnT is better against Delver while MUD is better against (non-Sneak) combo and Miracles. MUD's matchup against Delver is generally fine though, it's midrange piles-of-value like BUG that cause it issues. All of this makes me want to play it again, too bad there aren't any big Legacy events around here :(
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

Lands is secretly the best deck in Legacy right now.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Just curious - you mentioned EE/Academy Ruins as a form of battlefield suppression against grixis and recurring engine against stoneblade. Outside Lands, does any deck in legacy do this? I'm not as well versed in the myriad of legacy decks as I would like to be, so I am curious if this interaction pops up more than just occasionally in some lands builds. Thanks! Same goes for crucible and LFTL does any deck actively play these cards?

Psycho Crusher
    Jan 2010
    The 'Jing

Excellent article and I look forward to seeing your finish next week.

One of the points you made is that it's better to run a deck with more consistency over the course of a large event. But here, you recommend a 4c delver deck instead of a more consistent 3c.

My question is: does the versatility of 4c coupled with DTT make up for the potential inconsistency in mana base, or do you think that color issues are mitigated with a blue shell?

I guess ultimately it's a case of risk and reward. I myself am very interested to dabble into a DTT delver shell, hence the question.
    A book about the dark side of Legacy: "Magic: The Addiction" // Conversations with Magic players: "Humans of Magic"

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by MGB View Post
    Lands is secretly the best deck in Legacy right now.
    With Omnishow running around, I can not totally agree with this, as much as I wish it were true. Lands is under represented for its power level but it can be inconsistent, it has issues against decks with large amounts of basics and it's deceptively difficult to Master. Right now it is strong, but it's not top dog.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

May 2011
    Noricum

Thanks!

Ruins+EE and Crucible+Wasteland are engines that can be run my Control decks like Stoneblade and Miracles, if they want to hedge against a certain MU.

I'm not sure a 4 color version with 4 Shaman + 3 Dig is a lot less consistent than a Delver variant that is three color. But I'll get into serious testing of this archetype after the GP. :)

Greetings

Thread Information