Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [Legacy Lessons] Top 6 Decks - Top 6 Recommendations - GP Lille

We are lost. We can never go home.
    May 2011
    Noricum

[Legacy Lessons] Top 6 Decks - Top 6 Recommendations - GP Lille

Hey guys!

Check out my article for GP Lille!

Let me know what you think and make sure to share it with your friends who are going to the GP if you think that it'd be helpful for them! :)

Greetings
    My articles here, here, here and here | My current list | Follow me on Twitter | Questions I answered.

Jul 2011
    Germany

Re: [Legacy Lessons] Top 6 Decks - Top 6 Recommendations - GP Lille

Thanks for sharing! See you in Lille
    TEAM MtG Berlin

May 2011
    Noricum

Glad you enjoyed it! :)

See you there.

Greetings
    My articles here, here, here and here | My current list | Follow me on Twitter | Questions I answered.

Thanks for this article, Philipp. It was an interesting read, and I forwarded it to a couple of friends in need of a crash course about Legacy.

Very small nitpick, the foil cards images in the article don't look good, I don't know if there is any way they could be replaced by non-foil versions ?

Regards,

May 2011
    Noricum

Quote Originally Posted by CorwinB View Post
    Thanks for this article, Philipp. It was an interesting read, and I forwarded it to a couple of friends in need of a crash course about Legacy.

Very small nitpick, the foil cards images in the article don't look good, I don't know if there is any way they could be replaced by non-foil versions ?

Regards,
    Thank you very much, Sir! And thanks for sharing aswell! That's awesome!

I've forwarded this complaint to the editor already, thank you very much for pointing it out.

Greetings

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

10 thousands lines on miracle, 4 lines for each other deck. We clearly see what you enjoy playing :)

PS: the article was nice although there was probably much more to say about the other decks... I found it to be a little lacking on content for other decks.

May 2011
    Noricum

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    10 thousands lines on miracle, 4 lines for each other deck. We clearly see what you enjoy playing :)

PS: the article was nice although there was probably much more to say about the other decks... I found it to be a little lacking on content for other decks.
    I tried to balance it, I really did, lol. :D

Which other decks are you referring to? I was already way over the maximum for the word count so I tried to cut it short but please tell me which decks you're talking about so I can see what you mean! Thanks for the feedback! :)

Greetings

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by Einherjer View Post
    I tried to balance it, I really did, lol. :D

Which other decks are you referring to? I was already way over the maximum for the word count so I tried to cut it short but please tell me which decks you're talking about so I can see what you mean! Thanks for the feedback! :)

Greetings
    Omni-tell was OK. Grixis soso.
    Starting with team america, I felt there was less content.

Just remember that I liked the article overall :)

May 2011
    Noricum

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    Omni-tell was OK. Grixis soso.
    Starting with team america, I felt there was less content.

Just remember that I liked the article overall :)
    Ah, these decks. Okay, thank you very much for the feedback, I'll try to distribute the content more evenly in the future, thanks.

:)

Greetings

Say no to creatures.

May 2013

Minor rant not necessarily exclusive to this article (but had to do it somewhere and this article suffers from it a great deal!)

I hate articles with shit loads of card images which contribute nothing to the narrative (we all know Force of Will is a card and we all know what it looks like). This makes it incredibly hard to view at work.

/rant

Copy pasted into word now. Looks like an interesting read.
    Legacy: Rituals
    Vintage: Drains

May 2011
    Noricum

Quote Originally Posted by Higgs View Post
    Minor rant not necessarily exclusive to this article (but had to do it somewhere and this article suffers from it a great deal!)

I hate articles with shit loads of card images which contribute nothing to the narrative (we all know Force of Will is a card and we all know what it looks like). This makes it incredibly hard to view at work.

/rant

Copy pasted into word now. Looks like an interesting read.
    Hey,

thanks for the feedback.

I'm not sure I agree to be perfectly honest. While I understand that some of the strategy articles are for the hardcore players who do not care about 10000 words without any breaks, it's also an article for newcomers and people not quite familiar with Legacy. Not saying they need to read the cards (as they could just hover over the card itself) but it makes the article easier to read and better to digest which is important for an article that you don't 100% want to read but are moderately interested in. If this isn't your favorite article of the month and it's just plain text, chance has it you don't really read it at all. I mean, I could be wrong and all of you'd prefer it if there were no pictures all over the place, and to be perfectly honest: they are just there because we assume that it's a good thing. If it isn't, then by all means, let me know! :)

Thanks! :)

Greetings

Say no to creatures.

May 2013

Having now read the article time for constructive feedback.

I love strategic metagame articles (not the metagame articles that whine about blue) and this one delivered! We used to have similar metagame breakdown articles in SCG (with some figures from their events) and having regular refreshers about the current metagame (from a strategic pov) is gold imo.

I agree with your assessment on Storm being a favourable choice and not only because I'm a Storm player myself :) I think Storm and RUG are always good choices for large events because they are proactive decks and they are possibly the longest lived, most consistent, most resilient and most punishing proactive decks in Legacy. Because Legacy is such a fucking wide open format, if you are proactive you can just forget about everything and just kill your opponent if you get paired against a strange rogue deck. Against Tier decks, if you know how to play Storm/RUG really well and have been playing your deck for long enough, you can simply outplay your opponents playing those Tier decks or at least go head to head with them.

I understand your position about Miracles but I find it quite interesting and wonder if it could be a bit biased because you are just good with the deck. Against a wide open field, I would dread playing Miracles because I'd hate to play against weird stuff like Scapewish NicFit (or BUG NicFit), MUD, Sylvan Plug or even Chalice Goblins. Miracles seem to be super tuned against a known metagame and I just feel like it would get crushed if you end up getting paired against all of the weird stuff in your first 4-5 rounds.
    Legacy: Rituals
    Vintage: Drains

May 2011
    Noricum

Quote Originally Posted by Higgs View Post
    Having now read the article time for constructive feedback.

I love strategic metagame articles (not the metagame articles that whine about blue) and this one delivered! We used to have similar metagame breakdown articles in SCG (with some figures from their events) and having regular refreshers about the current metagame (from a strategic pov) is gold imo.

I agree with your assessment on Storm being a favourable choice and not only because I'm a Storm player myself :) I think Storm and RUG are always good choices for large events because they are proactive decks and they are possibly the longest lived, most consistent, most resilient and most punishing proactive decks in Legacy. Because Legacy is such a fucking wide open format, if you are proactive you can just forget about everything and just kill your opponent if you get paired against a strange rogue deck. Against Tier decks, if you know how to play Storm/RUG really well and have been playing your deck for long enough, you can simply outplay your opponents playing those Tier decks or at least go head to head with them.

I understand your position about Miracles but I find it quite interesting and wonder if it could be a bit biased because you are just good with the deck. Against a wide open field, I would dread playing Miracles because I'd hate to play against weird stuff like Scapewish NicFit (or BUG NicFit), MUD, Sylvan Plug or even Chalice Goblins. Miracles seem to be super tuned against a known metagame and I just feel like it would get crushed if you end up getting paired against all of the weird stuff in your first 4-5 rounds.

Thank you! :)

- I agree on Storm, and to some extent on RUG, though I believe 4c Delver to be a better deck right now.

- Hmm, one can never get rid of bias (and this time I didn't rank it #1 of the format, that's an improvement, isn't it? lol) but I am still under the impression that most random decks fold to either Counterbalance or Terminus. I mean, Storm and Omni also have terrific MUs against unknown decks, no doubt about it, but many Delver variants, mostly RUG, have an absolutely dreadful experience playing against things they didn't expect. But yeah, if you define random like you did, then Miracles isn't the best against it, that's totally correct. I, however, would classify other decks as random as well, which should all be amazing MUs, with the exception of the ones you mentioned! :)

Greetings

bruizar

Even though I am not well-vested in the meta game, I will predict that miracles will not top 8. The reason is pretty simple.

(1) takes too long to win, risk drawing games you should have won
    (2) requires too many decisions -> mental effort for too many consecutive rounds in a room without fresh oxygen

Even though perhaps miracles SHOULD win, I predict that it won't.

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    Even though I am not well-vested in the meta game, I will predict that miracles will not top 8. The reason is pretty simple.

(2) requires too many decisions -> mental effort for too many consecutive rounds in a room without fresh oxygen

But Miracles is able to perform well at GPs, including Top8 by Phillip at two different GPs last year and a strong showing at GP Kyoto this year. Your points are indeed true about lesser players (such as myself) who can't play quick enough to secure wins and fold under the pressure of playing several long matches involving a lot of decisions, but the top players have no such problem.

If Miracles doesn't perform well this time, I suspect it will be because of an hostile environment (metagame favoring its predators instead of its preys), or because the deck has too large a target on its head going into the tournament, not because of human failures.

May 2011
    Noricum

I'm terribly sorry, Sir, but this prediction must a joke, is it not? I mean I personally Top8ed the last two GPs with Miracles. At the first one I didn't have Byes at all and at the second I had one Bye. And this year, again, I'll fight without Byes. But this didn't keep me from Top8ing in the past and certainly shouldn't keep me from doing it again. And even if I don't Top8, there are a couple of people that will have access to my list that are certainly capable of winning this whole tournament, like Tomas Vlcek, Angelo Cadei or Maxime Gilles. And that's just the people I know, and despite the fact that I know most Miracle pilots, there are always outstandingly talented people that are totally flying under the radar.

So, on what again do you base your predication on, because the points you give must be jokes?

Greetings

bruizar

My prediction is based on the anecdotal evidence that players will draw because they top / fetch too slowly and shuffle endlessly OR the miracles player is matched to an opponent that's just not really fast. I'm pretty sure I could draw against any miracles opponent just by pile shuffling 2 times every time you crack a fetch land; and that's not even slow play.

May 2011
    Noricum

My prediction is based on the anecdotal evidence that players will draw because they top / fetch too slowly and shuffle endlessly OR the miracles player is matched to an opponent that's just not really fast. I'm pretty sure I could draw against any miracles opponent just by pile shuffling 2 times every time you crack a fetch land; and that's not even slow play.
    Thank you for your comment, Sir.

Greetings

Nice read, I very much enjoyed reading it.

Interesting you recommend lands, as I interpreted some phrases in your Reddit article that hadn't too much faith in the deck. I'd switch two words though in this sentence though: "But I’d recommend it to anyone who likes to play a Control deck that can switch its gears and become Combo ... as it's more a controldeck with a comboplan than viceversa.

I'll play the deck in Lille, and if we meet, would you be so kind to sign my Boseiju :)

May 2011
    Noricum

Quote Originally Posted by Ingo View Post
    Nice read, I very much enjoyed reading it.

Interesting you recommend lands, as I interpreted some phrases in your Reddit article that hadn't too much faith in the deck. I'd switch two words though in this sentence though: "But I’d recommend it to anyone who likes to play a Control deck that can switch its gears and become Combo ... as it's more a controldeck with a comboplan than viceversa.

I'll play the deck in Lille, and if we meet, would you be so kind to sign my Boseiju :)
    Thank you very much, Sir!

People make mistakes. But only dumb ones make them twice! :) So yeah, my opinion on Lands has changed.

Sure, I'd gladly sign that Boseiju, though I'd prefer to sign Ponder/Tops, but why not! :)

See you in Lille!

Greetings

Thread Information