Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [Legacy Lessons] Top 6 Decks - Top 6 Recommendations - GP Lille

Judgy Curmudgeon
    Feb 2006

Re: [Legacy Lessons] Top 6 Decks - Top 6 Recommendations - GP Lille

Quote Originally Posted by CorwinB View Post
    But Miracles is able to perform well at GPs, including Top8 by Phillip at two different GPs last year and a strong showing at GP Kyoto this year.
    Everyone wants to remember Kyoto as a coming out party for Omni. People seem to be repressing that the real story was the huge number of people playing Miracles at the top tables...

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Arzar View Post
    This was a good article and pretty comprehensive. I was a little surprised that there was no mention of Belcher as a recommended deck - it's hard for me to think of a time in Legacy when that deck was better positioned.
    FTFY. Seriously though, MUD is another Variance deck, and you have to love the archetype to justify playing it competitively, pretty much regardless of the texture of the room. It has a lot of natural power, but the compromise is the number of games you lose because you Mulligan to oblivion.

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    With Omnishow running around, I can not totally agree with this, as much as I wish it were true. Lands is under represented for its power level but it can be inconsistent, it has issues against decks with large amounts of basics and it's deceptively difficult to Master. Right now it is strong, but it's not top dog.
    God I hope we see a ton of Lands again. The best part of the SCG Legacy Open was the Lands Mirror match. They should get the commentary team drunk for that.
    Check out my Legacy UBTezz Primer. Chalice of the Void: Keeping Magic Fair.
    -----
    Playing since '96. Brief forced break '02-04. Former/Idle Judge since '05. Told Smmenen to play faster at Vintage Worlds.
    -----
    Most of the 'Ban brainstorm!' arguments are based on the logic that 'more different cards should get played in Legacy', as though the success or health of the format can be measured by the portion of cards that are available and see play. This is an idiotic metric.

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Quote Originally Posted by Ellomdian View Post
    FTFY. Seriously though, MUD is another Variance deck, and you have to love the archetype to justify playing it competitively, pretty much regardless of the texture of the room. It has a lot of natural power, but the compromise is the number of games you lose because you Mulligan to oblivion.
    The comparison of MUD to Belcher is moronic, and I would expect something a little more intellectual from a long-time Legacy player. The deck is well positioned because it crushes Miracles and combo despite its own issues (which are exaggerated - the modern lists are by far the most consistent Chalice deck I have played, and I've played them all). I would not recommend the deck if the meta was heavy on Shardless, Jund, and Team America (to name a few). Belcher can never be described as "well-positioned," at least as long as Force of Will is omnipresent.
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

Foreign Black Border
    Jun 2012
    Houston, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Ellomdian View Post

God I hope we see a ton of Lands again. The best part of the SCG Legacy Open was the Lands Mirror match. They should get the commentary team drunk for that.
    In my limited experience with the mirror (two matches) I wouldn't wish that on anyone

It's actually awful
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I still have a strong suspicion that if 'Thalia, Heretic Cathar' had been named 'Frank, Heretic Cathar', people would be a lot more skeptical of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goin Aggro View Post
    Ugh, there he goes again, talking about the girlfriend. We get it dude.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    In my limited experience with the mirror (two matches) I wouldn't wish that on anyone

It's actually awful
    Respectfully disagree. It's complex and engaging. It is even more fun if one person is Control lands and the other combo.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Legacy Staple
    May 2008
    Citizen of the world.

Good article, Philipp.

I am suprised that you did not mention Jund as a deck that may be well positioned in this metagame (perhaps you are implicitely biased towards considering blue decks- no blame). If the top dogs are:

- Omnitell;
    - Miracle;
    - Stoneblade/ "Gold Digger" or whatever it is called;
    - Grixis Control;
    - Death and Taxes (I doubt so personally but let's stick to it);
    - ANT or whatever else,

then a well-tuned version of Jund with maindeck Pyroblasts, Sylvan Library and even Chains of Mephistopheles can give fits to blue decks as long as you can solve the critical blue spells (Dig/Show and Tell/TNN). Also, sideboard Choke.
    Dark Confidant and Liliana should provide a source of disruption that is potentially troublesome for the control decks. Golgari Charm or similar can be brought in from the sideboard to deal with Young Pyro tokens in the Grixis matchups as well to regen against Bolt in fringe cases. And the list goes on. Last, you can fill the sideboard with a million of additional discard spells to fight the combo decks.

Any thoughts? I hardly play Legacy anymore but I think there may be some truth in this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pastorofmuppets View Post
    you just want us to do that because of your Silences, you sly dog.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Avatar of kicks_422's creation and property

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Quote Originally Posted by Piceli89 View Post
    Good article, Philipp.

I am suprised that you did not mention Jund as a deck that may be well positioned in this metagame (perhaps you are implicitely biased towards considering blue decks- no blame). If the top dogs are:

- Omnitell;
    - Miracle;
    - Stoneblade/ "Gold Digger" or whatever it is called;
    - Grixis Control;
    - Death and Taxes (I doubt so personally but let's stick to it);
    - ANT or whatever else,

then a well-tuned version of Jund with maindeck Pyroblasts, Sylvan Library and even Chains of Mephistopheles can give fits to blue decks as long as you can solve the critical blue spells (Dig/Show and Tell/TNN). Also, sideboard Choke.
    Dark Confidant and Liliana should provide a source of disruption that is potentially troublesome for the control decks. Golgari Charm or similar can be brought in from the sideboard to deal with Young Pyro tokens in the Grixis matchups as well to regen against Bolt in fringe cases. And the list goes on. Last, you can fill the sideboard with a million of additional discard spells to fight the combo decks.

Any thoughts? I hardly play Legacy anymore but I think there may be some truth in this.
    As someone who used to play Jund a LOT in Legacy, the deck has some issues nowadays. Issue number one is that Omnitell is just an abysmal matchup. High Tide was bad, Omni is awful. The second one is that all the blue decks are better than they were when I was playing Jund (first half of last year) because they have access to new toys like Dig through Time, Monastery Mentor, Gurmag Angler, and Tasigur. Jund doesn't really have anything new and shiny, so it's playing on a lower power level versus the blue decks than it was a year ago. Jund is capable of playing all the hate cards to beat most of the blue matchups, but you still have to draw those in your non-blue, cantrip-less deck, and you have to draw them before the blue deck pulls ahead and renders them meaningless.
    Lord of the Chalice

Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Jund is capable of playing all the hate cards to beat most of the blue matchups, but you still have to draw those in your non-blue, cantrip-less deck, and you have to draw them before the blue deck pulls ahead and renders them meaningless.
    Basically this. Also, it's worth noting that Jund's "hate" cards and Jund's "clock" cards are mutually exclusive, and this makes for a really challenging victory.

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Quote Originally Posted by iamajellydonut View Post
    Basically this. Also, it's worth noting that Jund's "hate" cards and Jund's "clock" cards are mutually exclusive, and this makes for a really challenging victory.
    I gave up on Jund for all of these reasons quite a while ago. It's all about DnT, Lands or MUD if you want to go nonblue now IMO.
    Lord of the Chalice

Jun 2009
    Butugychag

I mean, all it would really take is one BG value-bear to make the deck viable again. But it's just grown stale in the modern day.

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

As someone who used to play Jund a LOT in Legacy, the deck has some issues nowadays. Issue number one is that Omnitell is just an abysmal matchup. High Tide was bad, Omni is awful. The second one is that all the blue decks are better than they were when I was playing Jund (first half of last year) because they have access to new toys like Dig through Time, Monastery Mentor, Gurmag Angler, and Tasigur. Jund doesn't really have anything new and shiny, so it's playing on a lower power level versus the blue decks than it was a year ago. Jund is capable of playing all the hate cards to beat most of the blue matchups, but you still have to draw those in your non-blue, cantrip-less deck, and you have to draw them before the blue deck pulls ahead and renders them meaningless.
    Excellent comment, Admiral_Arzar. This is precisely why decks fall out of playability. New cards are printed and decks change, but some decks can't adapt to the new environment. It's why I would never foil out a deck and expect to play it forever. I think it also illustrates why Dig is overpowered. Nonblue decks like Jund can't splash UU, so the card buries them. The matchups that used to be positive are now even, if not outright unfavorable. At such a point, it doesn't make sense to play nonblue unless you're running just a bunch of main-deck hate cards, which are obviously a critical liability if you get paired against combo or a nonblue deck not running main-deck hate cards.

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    Excellent comment, Admiral_Arzar. This is precisely why decks fall out of playability. New cards are printed and decks change, but some decks can't adapt to the new environment. It's why I would never foil out a deck and expect to play it forever. I think it also illustrates why Dig is overpowered. Nonblue decks like Jund can't splash UU, so the card buries them. The matchups that used to be positive are now even, if not outright unfavorable. At such a point, it doesn't make sense to play nonblue unless you're running just a bunch of main-deck hate cards, which are obviously a critical liability if you get paired against combo or a nonblue deck not running main-deck hate cards.
    What about Aggro Loam? Prague Eternal was just taken down by Kronberger who played almost his exact list that he took down BoM with over a year ago. Seems his list has a lot of common elements with Jund.

Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Quote Originally Posted by Kl'rt View Post
    What about Aggro Loam? Prague Eternal was just taken down by Kronberger who played almost his exact list that he took down BoM with over a year ago. Seems his list has a lot of common elements with Jund.
    Completely different decks.

Thread Information