Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Mulligan Rule

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

New Mulligan Rule

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles...ins-2015-06-29

103.4. Each player draws a number of cards equal to his or her starting hand size, which is normally seven. (Some effects can modify a player’s starting hand size.) A player who is dissatisfied with his or her initial hand may take a mulligan. First, the starting player declares whether or not he or she will take a mulligan. Then each other player in turn order does the same. Once each player has made a declaration, all players who decided to take mulligans do so at the same time. To take a mulligan, a player shuffles his or her hand back into his or her library, then draws a new hand of one fewer cards than he or she had before. If a player kept his or her hand of cards, those cards become the player’s opening hand, and that player may not take any further mulligans. This process is then repeated until no player takes a mulligan. (Note that if a player’s hand size reaches zero cards, that player must keep that hand.) Then, beginning with the starting player and proceeding in turn order, any player whose opening hand has fewer cards than his or her starting hand size may scry 1.

This is only for the PT for now, and then they will re-evaluate.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Re: New Mulligan Rule

Rule isn't official YET. This rule change will be tested at PT: Origins. After that, it will be decided if they continue with it...

- Also multiple threads

Interesting, though I'd really prefer to see the scry happen before the re-mulligan decision.

I also wonder whether giving the player on the draw a scry 1 would help mitigate the 'on the play' advantage in a positive way.

I'm assuming this scry won't happen with leylines or Gemstone Caverns.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Interesting, though I'd really prefer to see the scry happen before the re-mulligan decision.

I also wonder whether giving the player on the draw a scry 1 would help mitigate the 'on the play' advantage in a positive way.

I'm assuming this scry won't happen with leylines or Gemstone Caverns.
    I am assuming we'd get clarification if the rule starts to pertain to Eternal formats.

I'm really not sure what to think exactly about the change. At first blush though, I think it might be a good thing.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

?
    Oct 2003
    Syracuse, NY

This idea is awesome, really hope it sticks. I definitely see it help balancing a game if a player mulls into a oblivion. Everyone has been there and it sucks, so trying to level the playing field a bit and keeping the game somewhat fair is really nice.

I also assume that the scry is only applicable if a player mulligans, and doesn't take place if there's Leyline/Gemstone Cavern shenanigans involved.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Quote Originally Posted by Di View Post
    This idea is awesome, really hope it sticks. I definitely see it help balancing a game if a player mulls into a oblivion. Everyone has been there and it sucks, so trying to level the playing field a bit and keeping the game somewhat fair is really nice.

I also assume that the scry is only applicable if a player mulligans, and doesn't take place if there's Leyline/Gemstone Cavern shenanigans involved.
    Yep, only in effect if you start with less than 7 cards.

Zombie Elf Warrior
    Dec 2004
    seattle

It seems like an elegant attempt at reducing variance. I like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    was greg mitchells hair ever on camera?
    Elves Discord Channel: https://discord.gg/2EVsdw2

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

I'm seeing some complaining elsewhere about this making Delver of Secrets better.

Thoughts? My initial reaction is that mulling is so detrimental to your chance of winning, that the marginal upside if you happen to have Delver in your deck and in that hand you mull to seems negligible.

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    I'm seeing some complaining elsewhere about this making Delver of Secrets better.

Thoughts? My initial reaction is that mulling is so detrimental to your chance of winning, that the marginal upside if you happen to have Delver in your deck and in that hand you mull to seems negligible.
    Obviously some decks will be better with this change but combo was the first thing that came to mind and not Delver. I think this will be a great change. This will probably the number of mulligan to 6 but reduce the mulligan to 5 and 4.

I don't understand. How are people casting delver before their first upkeep so that they can use the scry to improve the chance of flipping it?

?
    Oct 2003
    Syracuse, NY

I don't understand. How are people casting delver before their first upkeep so that they can use the scry to improve the chance of flipping it?
    If you mulligan and you are on the play, you scry, then play a land and Delver. #rocketscience

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

On the play.

On a related note, how is a person on the play supposed to make use of that scry if their opening their opener relies on a fetchland?

bruizar

Very elegant approach! I like how they just added a card mechanic / keyword to the rules in this fashion.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by iamajellydonut View Post
    On the play.

On a related note, how is a person on the play supposed to make use of that scry if their opening their opener relies on a fetchland?
    Yeah, the chain of chance here is that:

You have to be on the Play.
    You mull.
    You have a Delver.
    Plus a natural blue source.
    Plus you opponent doesn't kill Delver.
    Plus the the fact that you mulled to this situation doesn't cost you the game in the long run.

Seems like a solid plan...

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

game-machanic keyword for a pre-game action. I don't even see the need for that rule. Mulligans punish players for bad/greedy deckbuilding only
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    game-machanic keyword for a pre-game action. I don't even see the need for that rule. Mulligans punish players for bad/greedy deckbuilding only
    You don't have to be a bad deckbuilder to open with the infamous zero-land seven.
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Seems like a solid plan...
    My question was a general one, and it was actually a serious one. The new mulligan rule is completely one-sided. And it's not your usual #legacyproblems. Even Standard is currently abusing the shit out of fetchlands and will continue doing so for a good while longer.

How is the opening player supposed to benefit from this new rule?

?
    Oct 2003
    Syracuse, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Mulligans punish players for bad/greedy deckbuilding only
    This has to be arguably the single most ignorant thing I have read in these forums over the last three years.

@JellyDonut's question:

They'd need to determine whether or not that draw is greater than the value of cracking the fetchland immediately. In Standard this will be of little issue given there aren't many viable turn one plays. In Legacy this will actually be an interesting dynamic.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by iamajellydonut View Post
    My question was a general one, and it was actually a serious one. The new mulligan rule is completely one-sided. And it's not your usual #legacyproblems. Even Standard is currently abusing the shit out of fetchlands and will continue doing so for a good while longer.

How is the opening player supposed to benefit from this new rule?
    I honestly don't understand what you mean.

One sided for who? Are you saying that the player who mulled and is on the play gets no benefit?

As a Stompy-deck player in Legacy, I heartily approve of this rule!

Mull to 6 card hand with Ancient Tomb -> Look at top card, it's a Chalice of the Void? Sure, i'll keep.

Thread Information