Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: New Mulligan Rule

Re: New Mulligan Rule

Am I the only one who wonders whether letting people scry *before* they re-mulligan might be a good idea? (I'm probably missing something obvious.)

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
    The issue with the cantrip cartel is that it makes 70% of Legacy decks run 50% of the same cards. Obviously this is the case because those cards are both powerful and consistent (reduce variance). This problems with the cantrip cartel are completely unrelated from the change in mulligan rule. Yes, variance is important but reducing games where 1 player fishbowls while the other player draws the wrong half of their deck is more important. This change reduces variance slightly, and basically equally for all decks in all formats. Its not like the printed another busted blue cantrip. Not at all.

This mulligan change is pretty much all upside and if you are against it because in 1 in 100 games a specific deck (delver), in a specific format (legacy) gets a slight advantage you missing the point entirely. Also, I cannot back up this claim with numbers at this time, but I bet that this change helps non-blue legacy decks more than blue ones. Your 1st draw is much less important when you have brainstorms and other library manipulation and decks like Maveric, D&T, elves, MUD, Lands, etc would love being able to scry after having to mull. But people here will complain about any change because they are scared of change, so go ahead assume this change is horrible before you look at any data or test it out yourself.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm FOR the change. I play MUD almost exclusively so for me it is a godsent. I'm just saying that it is a gift with a cautionary note attached to it. We should be critical at ANYTHING related to variance reduction.

Cabal Therapist
    Oct 2010
    Colchester, VT

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I'm FOR the change. I play MUD almost exclusively so for me it is a godsent. I'm just saying that it is a gift with a cautionary note attached to it. We should be critical at ANYTHING related to variance reduction.

I agree that varience is very important to making magic a good game, but this change is mostly just going to be reducing the downside of a variance game: having games that are not really even games. It's being able to reduce variance so low that every game looks the same that's bad (omnitell).

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Maybe this will encourage people from playing anything other than Brainstorm.dec.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    Maybe this will encourage people from playing anything other than Brainstorm.dec.
    Doubt it. A single scry after a mulligan doesn't help much to filter crappy draws afterwards.

They would need to print more cards that would allow to scry whenever a condition is met that blue can't easily fulfill, e.g.

"Whenever a white creature enters the battlefield under your control, scry 1." slapped onto a white weenie creature, for example.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Rufus, my figuring on why they did not do that is simply because it would be too good. Stoddard took pains to tell us they were looking for a balance.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Am I the only one who wonders whether letting people scry *before* they re-mulligan might be a good idea? (I'm probably missing something obvious.)
    The extra information lets you mulligan slightly more aggressively, especially if you're searching for a particular sideboard card. The goal is to reduce overall variance (mostly concerning mana curve/density), not to increase your chances to draw into your trump card for that matchup.

Not to mention it creates a lot of unnecessary decision trees and time consumption with multiple mulligans. Draw 6, scry. If you like the 7 you see, great. If you don't like the scry, put it on the bottom. Maybe your hand is still playable, then no different outcome than the new rule. But if your hand depended on the scry card to work out, you tucked that one away for a 1/52 shot at a relevant card to make your fringe hand playable. You're probably better off going to 5 anyway, then taking another chance at a random card. So you draw 5 and scry, and replay the whole thing.

Find a playable 6 or reasonable 5 and you get one scry to make it better. Simple and clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Doubt it. A single scry after a mulligan doesn't help much to filter crappy draws afterwards.

They would need to print more cards that would allow to scry whenever a condition is met that blue can't easily fulfill, e.g.

"Whenever a white creature enters the battlefield under your control, scry 1." slapped onto a white weenie creature, for example.
    Shadows of the Past isn't quite there yet, but something with a more versatile trigger may work.

Thread Information