Thread: [DECK] Young Pyro-Pox !

Blood Moon Gaming
    May 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Last edited by Macky984; 06-30-2015 at 05:30 PM.
    Macky - Blood Moon Gaming
    THE COMBO KING
    www.BloodMoonGaming.com
    Streaming Legacy - www.twitch.tv/Macky984

Hey guys, let's do it! The blue yonder awaits! Yahoo!
    Apr 2011
    The World

Re: [DECK] Young Pyro-Pox !

A little more explanation would go a long way...
    "Be it ever so crumbled, there's no place like home."

RGCL (GQ)

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Welcome aboard, in her dark name we do dedicate this performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    That actually sounds erotic.
    Youtube-playlist dedicated to RGCL

Yes, some additional info wouldn't hurt :)

I feel like you should add Gitaxian Probe as well when running Pyro and Cabal Therapy. But I don't like the Bloodmoons, as they will shut down your own manadenial plan.

I kinda reminded me of another RB thread, with young Pyro , http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...ath-Wins/page2.

Blood Moon Gaming
    May 2014
    Northern Virginia

It really doesn't need explanation... It kind of speaks for itself.

It's just a pox shell with Young Pyromancer... It just so happens that Innocent Blood, Cabal Therapy and Smallpox have really good synergy with Young Pyro.

Obviously two mana denial plans with Wasteland/Crucible as well as Blood Moon.

If that needs to be explained than you might not want to play Legacy...
    THE COMBO KING
    www.BloodMoonGaming.com

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Macky984 View Post

It's just a pox shell with Young Pyromancer... It just so happens that Innocent Blood, Cabal Therapy and Smallpox have really good synergy with Young Pyro.

You seem like a nice individual. Super down to earth, and open to constructive criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by Macky984 View Post

AH, the constuctivism and positivism! Still, you still might wanna add Gitaxian probe, and Bloodmoon with crucible and wasteland is a bit clunky.
    All the best!

Blood Moon Gaming
    May 2014
    Northern Virginia

I'm the nicest guy on the planet.

Does something as simple as this really need to be explained though?
    THE COMBO KING
    www.BloodMoonGaming.com

Blood Moon Gaming
    May 2014
    Northern Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by Ingo View Post
    AH, the constuctivism and positivism! Still, you still might wanna add Gitaxian probe, and Bloodmoon with crucible and wasteland is a bit clunky.
    All the best!
    I thought about Gitaxian Probe but it's hard to cut something for it.

As far as the Crucible / Blood Moon.. It is a little clunky but with a mana denial plan and no cantrips... you're bound to get one of them.
    THE COMBO KING
    www.BloodMoonGaming.com

Dec 2010
    North Atlantic Ocean

Are 6 creatures enough with 0 deck manipulation/tutors? You need a way to win at some point correct?

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

All of your hope is in Young Pyromancer. I think it would be wise to reference traditional pox and forego blood moon for factorys. I am a long time bg pox player and loam replaces crucible, but its the same thing. Wasteland isn't always good but its enough of a mana denial plan that mainboard moons are clutter (in my humble opinion.) If splashing red I think you cluld go one further with Crack the Earth. It has slightly more synergy all around. With crucible Raze could also be good. Pox has trouble with speed, and opponents topdecking out of soft locks. If they see wastelands they will fetch basics making moon awkward. Crack and Raze don't care about basic lands, they can still get the job done.

Overall I feel playing yp is a bit cute in pox, and honestly probably not as good as mishras factory. Liliana and the symmetrical effects of smlpox are at odds with playing multiple spells a turn (the best way to use pyromancer.) Keep us posted on playtesting and results please, this is interesting at the least.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Smarter than your average Bear Deck
    Jan 2009

I don't understand the synergy... it's like anti-synergy, half your spells are killing your own tokens, so you're not generating anything just protecting a 2/1 from dying... which is good I guess? I think Ghastly Demise and Lightning Bolts would make much more sense than Innocent Blood, or just run Edict for instant speed removal. I also think Faithless Looting since you're splashing red, its good card draw, pitches bloodghasts and can generate tokens.
    May your suffering equal your weakness
    --Ihsan's Shade

Blood Moon Gaming
    May 2014
    Northern Virginia

After messing around with it for a bit... I'm going to axe the Blood Moons.... It's just a matter of what to replace them with...

Faithless Looting seems good. So Does Crack the Earth

Maybe add another Crucible? Modify Lands to have Factories?
    THE COMBO KING
    www.BloodMoonGaming.com

I've played some Pox in my day, I think what the deck needs is to fall back on some of the old Pox ideas. That being said, here is the list I pulled together and explanation as to why i made some of the changes.

The List

Mainboard:

Lands

3 Badlands
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    4 Swamp
    4 Mishra's Factory
    2 Polluted Delta
    3 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    3 Wasteland

Creatures

3 Bloodghast
    4 Young Pyromancer

Spells

4 Hymn to Tourach
    3 Innocent Blood
    4 Inquisition of Kozilek
    1 Raven's Crime
    4 Sinkhole
    3 Thoughtseize
    1 Slaughter Games
    4 Smallpox

Others

2 Crucible of Worlds
    3 Liliana of the Veil

Sideboard

3 Crack the Earth
    2 Engineered Plague
    2 Grafdigger's Cage
    2 Null Rod
    2 Pithing Needle
    1 Slaughter Games
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Toxic Deluge

The Explanations

Inquisition in for Cabal Therapy: This one was to his early game threats without the guessing. It allows you to attack the opponents hand without the guessing game/following up Thoughtseize. It's downfall is the CMC restriction which large CMC threats can be handled with Hymns or keeping your opponents lands to low with recurring wastelands and smallpox.

Blood Moon I simply removed this card completely. It seemed counter productive making your own wastelands mountains.

Bloodghast Pitch it to smallpox, get it back with crucible. Gives a good clock and the additional will give more consistent draw.

Mishra's Factory Another win con. Survives smallpox, multiples are never bad, early blocker. Just a good all around card, it's one downside is not generating black which leads into the next card.

Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth This deck has A LOT of double black costs, this gives more consistency and makes those fetches useful after you got your badlands.

Raven's Crime Gives you recurring hand hate, you get the land back with crucible.

I haven't had the time to play test this yet but it looks solid. Other things I would consider changing are the number of lili's and crucibles aswell as the sideboard depending on the current meta.

Gravecrawler + Blood Scrivener is another package that works well with the attrition game plan.

Rise//Fall is pretty nice to cast once the opponent's missed a land drop.

Maybe Magmatic Insight,]Mox Diamond and a couple of extra land cards?

I'm not sure that Sinkhole and Hymn to Tourach really belong in the same deck since they disrupt along different lines.

As it stands, your red splash is very light. You might get a decent return on going white for Lingering Souls+Monastery Mentor for token production instead.

Thread Information