Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: MTGO discussion

They see me puntin'
    May 2010
    Finland

MTGO discussion

Didnt see a recent thread about magic online. Since I have like 4 legacy events locally all year I was thinking of buying into MTGO. How should I go about buying the cards for my deck? Buying tix from private sellers and then buying the cards from bots seems the smartest way, right? How much does one lose by buying the whole deck from mtgotraders.com?

What about events, do legacy dailies fire and at what time should I be online? My timeszone is GMT+3.

Re: MTGO discussion

Mtgotraders is actually cheaper if you pay with paypal and use the code redditpaypal for 8% off. I've bought and sold thousands through them and they are always great. They even have automated delivery now.

Buying from bots is probably not a great way to go since you have to buy tickets which someone is making money off of and then you end up with a bunch of .5 ticket credits at the bots when the total isn't exactly a whole number. I find it to be a headache and you don't even save money.

There is an event schedule at the bottom of this page http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles...ule-2015-04-29. As far as I'm aware all of the dailies are firing but the euro crew should probably confirm that.

They see me puntin'
    May 2010
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by supremePINEAPPLE View Post
    Mtgotraders is actually cheaper if you pay with paypal and use the code redditpaypal for 8% off. I've bought and sold thousands through them and they are always great. They even have automated delivery now.

Buying from bots is probably not a great way to go since you have to buy tickets which someone is making money off of and then you end up with a bunch of .5 ticket credits at the bots when the total isn't exactly a whole number. I find it to be a headache and you don't even save money.

There is an event schedule at the bottom of this page http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles...ule-2015-04-29. As far as I'm aware all of the dailies are firing but the euro crew should probably confirm that.
    Yeah I ended up buying from mtgotraders before I saw your message and it went well.

May 2005
    Wisconsin

You should be able to find tickets for about 96 cents. Then use https://mtgowikiprice.com/ to find bot with lowest price, i've never seen a legacy daily not fire, usually 20 - 40 people.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

MTGOtraders are great if you want to get into MTGO. I haven't used them in a while since I've gone infinite (mainly through smart trading decisions and not playing when booster prices are crap), but I can definitely recommend them for new players. The downside is that they're often a tad bit more expensive than other deals, but nothing major.

Once you get a hang of it, use https://mtgowikiprice.com/ to find the cheapest deals.

Goatbots often offers the best deals to sell (or buy) boosters or current cards and is not recorded by wikiprice. You'll also often find the best deals for current cards there. Another huge upside is that their prices always update instantly, while wikiprices might be off. Personally, they're my favorite bot chain due to speed, prices and reliability. Downside is that they don't have older Legacy staples.

If you're looking for older stuff, botomagic/staplesomagic (same botchain) have alot of older stuff for okay prices.

If you're looking for deals, I would check Goldfish for MTGOtrader prices and compare them to Goatbots and the wikiprice offers.

That's how I normally do my trade stuff.
    Last edited by Barook; 07-02-2015 at 09:29 PM.

They see me puntin'
    May 2010
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by porcupinetreeman View Post
    i've never seen a legacy daily not fire, usually 20 - 40 people.
    Yeah, judging from today this seems the case. Theres even multiple events firing same day which is nice. Somehow I thought 'legacy daily' meant once a day

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    MTGOtraders are great if you want to get into MTGO. I haven't used them in a while since I've gone infinite (mainly through smart trading decisions and not playing when booster prices are crap), but I can definitely recommend them for new players. The downside is that they're often a tad bit more expensive than other deals, but nothing major.

Once you get a hang of it, use https://mtgowikiprice.com/ to find the cheapest deals.

Goatbots often offers the best deals to sell (or buy) boosters or current cards and is not recorded by wikiprice. You'll also often find the best deals for current cards there. Another huge upside is that their prices always update instantly, while wikiprices might be off. Personally, they're my favorite bot chain due to speed, prices and reliability. Downside is that they don't have older Legacy staples.

If you're looking for older stuff, botomagic/staplesomagic (same botchain) have alot of older stuff for okay prices.

If you're looking for deals, I would check Goldfish for MTGOtraderprices and compare them to Goatbots and the wikiprice offers.

That's how I normally do my trade stuff.
    Good info.

They see me puntin'
    May 2010
    Finland

When should one get rid of MM2015 packs? Or is it wise to hold on to those?

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by dsck View Post
    When should one get rid of MM2015 packs? Or is it wise to hold on to those?
    I don't see any point in holding. M14 boosters are about 1.5 now. I would sell asap.

They see me puntin'
    May 2010
    Finland

Is there a tutorial for Flusterstorm? Just lost a game because I couldnt counter anything with it when my opponent had his own Fluster copies on the stack... And out of prices because of that loss.

Mar 2007

Tutorial? This is MODO!

In all seriousness, go the Tournament practice room and try out all cards you use until you get the mechanics down. Not sure what the issue was here.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

You just have to click on each of the copies individually. That card isn't that difficult to deal with on modo, so I too am confused.

They see me puntin'
    May 2010
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Tutorial? This is MODO!

In all seriousness, go the Tournament practice room and try out all cards you use until you get the mechanics down. Not sure what the issue was here.

Situation:
    Opponent casts Terminus leaving 2 mana open, I respond with dig, opponent flusters and I fluster back, by all logic I should be able to counter his fluster + terminus. Now to do that I have massive pile of flusterstorm triggers and no idea which is my and which is my opponents and what each are targetting. I lose my creatures to terminus and my fluster doesnt counter anything and I lose a match I was going to 99% win.

edit: if you misclick by small margin you will be targetting wrong copy of fluster and then things get kinky. heres some fluster action:

Joe Cool Above All
    Sep 2007

Are you still trying out that DRS Mentor deck?

Jun 2014
    The Arctic

Opponent casts Terminus leaving 2 mana open, I respond with dig, opponent flusters and I fluster back, by all logic I should be able to counter his fluster + terminus. Now to do that I have massive pile of flusterstorm triggers and no idea which is my and which is my opponents and what each are targetting. I lose my creatures to terminus and my fluster doesnt counter anything and I lose a match I was going to 99% win.
    How much mana did you have free after casting flusterstorm? Assuming it was your last mana, then If he had 2 mana open when he cast flusterstorm he has 1 left, then you are not countering everything since is he has X copies, if the next spell cast after his flusterstorm is then you only have X=1 copies, so you need X copies just for his flusterstorm triggers leaving 1 copy for the terminus, so he can pay for 1 copy, and counter 1 of your spells.

I probably would have put everything on the terminus. as then only another flusterstorm saves Terminus, and you need that countered more then you need the Dig.
    edit: if you misclick by small margin you will be targetting wrong copy of fluster and then things get kinky. heres some fluster action:
    Ya, you have to be careful where you click, and not to click to fast. Fortunatly you can check what has already been targeted by mousing over the copies, as the target gets enlarged on the stack, so you look over the re-targeted copies and see what still needs a target.

you can also re-size the stack window to increase the error margin for misclicks.

They see me puntin'
    May 2010
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by sjmcc13 View Post
    How much mana did you have free after casting flusterstorm? Assuming it was your last mana, then If he had 2 mana open when he cast flusterstorm he has 1 left, then you are not countering everything since is he has X copies, if the next spell cast after his flusterstorm is then you only have X=1 copies, so you need X copies just for his flusterstorm triggers leaving 1 copy for the terminus, so he can pay for 1 copy, and counter 1 of your spells.

I probably would have put everything on the terminus. as then only another flusterstorm saves Terminus, and you need that countered more then you need the Dig.
    Ya, you have to be careful where you click, and not to click to fast. Fortunatly you can check what has already been targeted by mousing over the copies, as the target gets enlarged on the stack, so you look over the re-targeted copies and see what still needs a target.

you can also re-size the stack window to increase the error margin for misclicks.
    I had 2 mana left for his Fluster copies. Definitely should have played it safe (only targetting Terminus) since it was my first time battling Flusterstorm vs Flusterstorm. Now that I have tested it in solitaire mode its a little clearer but by no means do I feel confident I wont fuck up next time...

Quote Originally Posted by HSCK View Post
    Are you still trying out that DRS Mentor deck?
    Yes, I think I have found pretty good list through trial and error. No idea what daily event results wizard chooses to publish for decklists since none of my 4-0 results are there. But it hides information from opponents as well

I'm fairly new to MTGO and playing with Storm-Trigger feels really confusing as you already mentioned...
    Here are my questions:

I put Tendrils on the stack (target is opponent).

First I F2 to resolve the trigger, copies go onto the stack,
    then I need to click for each copy: "same target".

Is there a function to have all copies of tendrils of agony always target the same target as the original?
    Is it possible to see the storm count while playing without having an actual storm spell in hand (which obviously counts the storm on the card, which is cool btw)?

Aside from that:
    If I play Flusterstorm and want to target anything else, I also have trouble to see which copy I am actually dealing with when changing the target.

Thanks.
    Currently looking for (only within Europe):
    4 Russian INFERNAL TUTOR (nm, non-foil)
    4 Russian MISTY RAINFOREST (nm, non-foil)

If you have any of those cards or know someone who is maybe willing to trade/sell, please pm me!

MTGO: ilCannone

Jun 2010
    Italy

I have the same issue with massive grapeshots.

Jan 2005
    I actually live in actual Chicago

The answer to all of your questions is, making storm easier to use is a super low priority compared to all the other **** that's wrong with mtgo, since they're never going to print Storm again.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Hey guys, super excited to announce my promotion to...Brainstorm!

The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

http://magic.wizards.com/en/MTGO/art...ges-2015-07-20

Daily entry fee is doubling without a comparable rise in prize payout. I already hated playing in them because of all of the down time between matches and this will make me want to sign up for one even less.

People are still trying to figure out all of the ev calcs on reddit so you can go there if people want that discussion. It looks like the takeaways are prize cut and buy-in increase for dailies while 2 man/8 man payouts look better than before. Makes me wish there was a vintage 8-man but there probably isn't the player base. I guess I'll just keep chilling in the tournament practice room...

Thread Information