Thread: MTGO discussion

Hybrid View

They see me puntin'
    May 2010
    Finland

MTGO discussion

Didnt see a recent thread about magic online. Since I have like 4 legacy events locally all year I was thinking of buying into MTGO. How should I go about buying the cards for my deck? Buying tix from private sellers and then buying the cards from bots seems the smartest way, right? How much does one lose by buying the whole deck from mtgotraders.com?

What about events, do legacy dailies fire and at what time should I be online? My timeszone is GMT+3.

Re: MTGO discussion

Mtgotraders is actually cheaper if you pay with paypal and use the code redditpaypal for 8% off. I've bought and sold thousands through them and they are always great. They even have automated delivery now.

Buying from bots is probably not a great way to go since you have to buy tickets which someone is making money off of and then you end up with a bunch of .5 ticket credits at the bots when the total isn't exactly a whole number. I find it to be a headache and you don't even save money.

There is an event schedule at the bottom of this page http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles...ule-2015-04-29. As far as I'm aware all of the dailies are firing but the euro crew should probably confirm that.

They see me puntin'
    May 2010
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by supremePINEAPPLE View Post
    Mtgotraders is actually cheaper if you pay with paypal and use the code redditpaypal for 8% off. I've bought and sold thousands through them and they are always great. They even have automated delivery now.

Buying from bots is probably not a great way to go since you have to buy tickets which someone is making money off of and then you end up with a bunch of .5 ticket credits at the bots when the total isn't exactly a whole number. I find it to be a headache and you don't even save money.

There is an event schedule at the bottom of this page http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles...ule-2015-04-29. As far as I'm aware all of the dailies are firing but the euro crew should probably confirm that.
    Yeah I ended up buying from mtgotraders before I saw your message and it went well.

May 2005
    Wisconsin

You should be able to find tickets for about 96 cents. Then use https://mtgowikiprice.com/ to find bot with lowest price, i've never seen a legacy daily not fire, usually 20 - 40 people.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

MTGOtraders are great if you want to get into MTGO. I haven't used them in a while since I've gone infinite (mainly through smart trading decisions and not playing when booster prices are crap), but I can definitely recommend them for new players. The downside is that they're often a tad bit more expensive than other deals, but nothing major.

Once you get a hang of it, use https://mtgowikiprice.com/ to find the cheapest deals.

Goatbots often offers the best deals to sell (or buy) boosters or current cards and is not recorded by wikiprice. You'll also often find the best deals for current cards there. Another huge upside is that their prices always update instantly, while wikiprices might be off. Personally, they're my favorite bot chain due to speed, prices and reliability. Downside is that they don't have older Legacy staples.

If you're looking for older stuff, botomagic/staplesomagic (same botchain) have alot of older stuff for okay prices.

If you're looking for deals, I would check Goldfish for MTGOtrader prices and compare them to Goatbots and the wikiprice offers.

That's how I normally do my trade stuff.
    Last edited by Barook; 07-02-2015 at 09:29 PM.

They see me puntin'
    May 2010
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by porcupinetreeman View Post
    i've never seen a legacy daily not fire, usually 20 - 40 people.
    Yeah, judging from today this seems the case. Theres even multiple events firing same day which is nice. Somehow I thought 'legacy daily' meant once a day

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    MTGOtraders are great if you want to get into MTGO. I haven't used them in a while since I've gone infinite (mainly through smart trading decisions and not playing when booster prices are crap), but I can definitely recommend them for new players. The downside is that they're often a tad bit more expensive than other deals, but nothing major.

Once you get a hang of it, use https://mtgowikiprice.com/ to find the cheapest deals.

Goatbots often offers the best deals to sell (or buy) boosters or current cards and is not recorded by wikiprice. You'll also often find the best deals for current cards there. Another huge upside is that their prices always update instantly, while wikiprices might be off. Personally, they're my favorite bot chain due to speed, prices and reliability. Downside is that they don't have older Legacy staples.

If you're looking for older stuff, botomagic/staplesomagic (same botchain) have alot of older stuff for okay prices.

If you're looking for deals, I would check Goldfish for MTGOtraderprices and compare them to Goatbots and the wikiprice offers.

That's how I normally do my trade stuff.
    Good info.

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

Thank you all for the insight! I'm thinking I'll buy enough tix to cover my high priced purchases (Wasteland) and pick those up from a bot. The rest of the deck list will be dirt cheap since I'm building Goblins, and I'll probably just by those all in one fell swoop at MGTOtraders or something. That seems easier than trying to piece it together from individual bots. Or am I overthinking this?
    Either way, buying into MTGO is pretty daunting. It's odd to me that there isn't just a centralized marketplace within the game for buying and selling cards. Well, I guess I need to poke around in there more still.
    Can you buy cards off players with tix? Or "trade" them, I guess. Or are tix just for purchasing packs within the game? I'm a noob.

Jun 2014
    The Arctic

Quote Originally Posted by jrw1985 View Post
    It's odd to me that there isn't just a centralized marketplace within the game for buying and selling cards.
    There is a marketplace, it is just dominated by bots.
    Can you buy cards off players with tix? Or "trade" them, I guess. Or are tix just for purchasing packs within the game? I'm a noob.
    Yes, tix are tradeable, that is how you trade with most bots, as they are little more then scripts running on user accounts.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

It's odd to me that there isn't just a centralized marketplace within the game for buying and selling cards. Well, I guess I need to poke around in there more still.
    Yep. An auction house would be awesome.

You can trade tix for cards - that's the de facto currency. I fact, if you can get a good deal on tix, buying tix and trading them into cards may save you some dough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post
    Yep. An auction house would be awesome. You can trade tix for cards - that's the de facto currency. I fact, if you can get a good deal on tix, buying tix and trading them into cards may save you some dough.
    And now all I have to do is research tix price and tix per card price and calculate if it's a better deal than the sites that are advertising cards in dollars. Or the sites like goatbots that seem to list their prices in tix but I can't find anything explicitly stating what they list their prices in on their site.

Hahaha. This is so stupid. Good times.

Oath of the Gatewatch
    Release Date: January 22, 2016
    Magic Online Release: February 1, 2016

I know it has probably been like this forever, but I wonder what the reason is? Giving players a chance to playtest with the new cards before paper release would be useful, and could probably give MTGO a boost. Or just being able to play with 2-3 of the new cards as "proxies", or whatever, until release.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Cartesian View Post
    Oath of the Gatewatch
    Release Date: January 22, 2016
    Magic Online Release: February 1, 2016
    And if the past is any indication, the online release will have a "known bugs" section even though they've had extra time :/
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Pancake
    Oct 2012
    Netherlands

Hopefully (and probably will be) your online collection is account bound in will be available in the new application.
    Nonetheless, a new MTGO looking better then Duels would be sweet. Count me in.
    Kagu-Tsuchi カグツチ (Jund NicFit)
    Rhino's Abbondanza (Junk NicFit)
    4c Aggro Loam

Quote Originally Posted by Chatto View Post
    How about: ramp into Deed, clear the board, and bash your opponent's head in.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Bobmans View Post
    Hopefully (and probably will be) your online collection is account bound in will be available in the new application.
    If it doesn't, there will be a shitstorm to end all shitstorms. Many people have thousands of dollars in that system, not to mention the big traders probably having millions of dollars worth of cards in their binders.

I could see class-action lawsuits taking place, regardless of their ToS, depending on how the entire thing plays out if no transfer happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post

I could see class-action lawsuits taking place, regardless of their ToS, depending on how the entire thing plays out if no transfer happens.
    Your mention of the ToS means you are aware that the cards are actually owned by WotC. I agree it would be a shitstorm, but if they are looking to reset the business then the big traders won't matter a scooby, and the present number of players compared to the potential also matters little.

They will transfer something, if its the entire collection or some form of 'play points' remain to be seen.

MTGO Name: Adelorenzi
    Mar 2009

Has anyone else found it more challenging to break even with Play Points/Tickets since the leagues were implemented?

Pancake
    Oct 2012
    Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by ironclad8690 View Post
    Has anyone else found it more challenging to break even with Play Points/Tickets since the leagues were implemented?
    It is even a challenge creating a new account... horror is more close to what it is.

I install app.
    I sign-up.
    App asks me if i want to activate and pay 10 bucks.
    I cancel to do it later.
    Later i want to pay.
    In the app i sign in and it shows me a link, i click it and nothing happens.
    I login via the website, but nowhere is something to be found regarding paying.
    I get angry and contact support.
    They fire off some iditioc security list.
    I answer.
    They answer with: check your paypal and delete cookies...
    I say it has nothing to do what that. I say there is no link or whatsoever where i can buy anything. Just point me the link.
    They say: we reset your account. Between 2-4 hours it has access.
    I try a day later, nothing happens.
    I tell support no changes.
    They say, wait longer.
    Day later i try again. I can login to the website. But the app says my details are invalid.
    I mail support. 2 days later, no answer.
    I started with contact a week ago.
    This is a torture....
    Me angry, use blunt force. Computer broken.

Luckily i have spend bunches of money on cardboard game. I play with friends. Happy days.
    Kagu-Tsuchi カグツチ (Jund NicFit)
    Rhino's Abbondanza (Junk NicFit)
    4c Aggro Loam

Quote Originally Posted by Chatto View Post
    How about: ramp into Deed, clear the board, and bash your opponent's head in.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by ironclad8690 View Post
    DE had good EV - league EV is pretty shitty, so no suprises here.

This was also the reason why I sold out initially sold out last July and have only invested a minimum of money into MTGO since that point (got the rest of my stuff via trading smartly over time).

Thread Information