Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: MTGO discussion

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Re: MTGO discussion

Just another series of poor decisions made by WotC. I actually just sold all my MTGO collection last week (a pretty huge collection). There are a few main reasons I did so, and I'll write them here for those who are interested.

Disclaimer: I had a ton of fun on MTGO, it was a great place to try out new ideas and even test out formats I usually can't (Led me to my first vintage tournament win in paper magic). If you don't have a good LGS or playgroup it does give you that MTG fix. It even fixes the worst problems of magic which are in my opinion 1) cheating and 2) draws from going to time. Chess timers are amazing for the 2nd point, and the 1st point could be handled in real life by professional dealers at events handling everyone's deck, but probably won't be.

So here are the reasons I got out:

1. Lack of security/authentication. I had literal thousands of dollars on my account, and only a single password protected me from having my entire collection removed. To sell my collection I gave the dealer my password and within minutes the entire thing was gone. I had no idea how much my collection was worth until I sat down and looked at it, but that's just too much for digital objects that can get passed around so easily. WotC is not technologically capable of making me feel safe with that much money on their servers.

2. Lack of improvements over the last 2 years. I've had my collection on there for a while, and I've seen Hearthstone dominate the market with their smooth interface and no down time between games. Arena mode is everything draft should be. By the way, I think Hearthstone is a fairly boring game, but I play it more than magic because it's just so easy to. I hate planning literally 4 hours of my day to play a daily tournament. My match would be over within 20 minutes and you bet your ass every single fucking round went to time. Even 8 man pools had that problem. 3 rounds takes about 3 hours, regardless of what you're doing. You know the absolute most absurd part of it? The most popular Magic streamers have to open up Hearthstone/browser games/whatever other entertainment in between rounds because the game is so bad with time. Just think about that for a second, the game is so bad that even people who make their living off of streaming magic have to try to find some way to entertain themselves for about 50% of the time they're playing.
    A 3 round tournament took 3 hours. 9 Games of Hearthstone? Maybe an hour? I hate hearthstone compared to magic, but come on MTGO... fix your shit. They even spoiled an arena-mode type gameplay they wanted to roll out. That was over a year ago and absolutely no changes towards that have been made.

3. Magic isn't as fun when you're not sitting across from someone. This is the most subjective, but damn, it's a pretty lonely experience playing a tournament of magic. You get the occasional "go yourself and die you stupid lucksack piece of " after you beat someone, but other than that it's just play to win. I like playing to win, that's mostly the point, but grinding tournaments online just feels like a job and not like fun. Your mileage may vary.

4. This is similar to 2, but I just found myself wanting to play MTGO less due to how much downtime there is and how you could either play against noobs in the tournament practice room and get inflated results compared to normal playtesting, or spend money every single time you wanted to try to play against good players. Where the hell is the ladder room where you get to play for rating points but not money???? Seriously, every single game has that now, and it adds so much replay value. If I could get to Platinum League or whatever the hell it is, that would be a reason to play MTGO, but NOTHING is worth playing unless you pay for it, and I just didn't really want to.

Overall I got a lot of fun out of the experience, but enough is enough. I see vintage card prices dropping, which to me symbolizes the fact that people just aren't getting into or excited about eternal online. I had 3 vintage decks made, and decided it was time now to sell out of the game. I'm not saying everyone should, but the lack of any improvements or even believable announcements about improvements was the last straw.

I'm out of MTGO, gg wotc

Yeah I agree with just about everything you said. I'm in a weird spot with multiple vintage decks and Lands online but I don't really play in any tournaments anymore so it's just a lot of money tied up in having the ability to play legacy/vintage for fun whenever I want.

I don't have the urge to sell yet but I'm definitely starting to hear that little voice in the back of my head.

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

I mean, can you really be so surprised that Wizards went for the money option?

Jul 2008
    NJ USA

The change is good for me in the sense that 8-mans are better value, since my work schedule prevents me from playing many daily events.

It's bad for me since I can't justify blowing 12 event tickets on Daily Events with prize support that are about equal to D.E.'s that only costed 6 event tickets to enter.
    Also slops for cutting Legacy support, as the higher entry is going to really hurt attendance in Legacy Daily Events. Unless they lower D.E. entry, we can only hope that Legacy staples decrease in price to gather enough players to bring back demand for Legacy 8 mans.

At least Cube prizes are worth more now.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

I was already thinking about selling my collection since I haven't really played for months thanks to low booster prices, long waiting time between rounds and MOCS promos that are insulting. But if this change goes through unchanged, it's the final nail in the coffin.

But then again, everybody and their mother is selling out now, so I'm not too sure if it's the best idea to so now after MM15 lowered prices across the board + lowered buy prices from traders thanks to the now huge supply.

Seriously, fuck everybody of the MTGO team. Twice.

They see me puntin'
    May 2010
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by mishima_kazuya View Post
    The change is good for me in the sense that 8-mans are better value, since my work schedule prevents me from playing many daily events.
    Sure if you play standard/modern, no 8-mans for legacy or vintage...

Seems like I made huge mistake buying into mtgo couple weeks ago, no way the legacy dailies will fire after this change. Even if the price of boosters will go up the price support is still laughable for dailies and at least 25% less than now and it isnt even very good right now.

Dec 2009
    Denmark

I sold my $7k collection recently. There have just been too many deal breakers with MTGO

1) The V4 downgrade
    2) Not doing anything about people who hack the client
    3) Constant payout reductions
    4) Arbitrary ceasing of accounts (people who file for reimbursement too frequently, Zach Jesse..)
    5) Always new card bugs that take months to get fixed

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Rune View Post
    I sold my $7k collection recently. There have just been too many deal breakers with MTGO
    Who did you use to sell out? MTGO traders?

I'm pondering whether or not it's better to convert part of my cards into tix before selling out.

Dec 2009
    Denmark

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Who did you use to sell out? MTGO traders?

I'm pondering whether or not it's better to convert part of my cards into tix before selling out.
    I sold to Cardhoarder. They have an app where you get an estimate on your collection: https://www.cardhoarder.com/collections/view

I think they use the same prices as MTGO Traders, but I didn't really look into it. I just pulled the trigger as soon as I saw the newest announcement

Mar 2007

Thanks alot. That app is really useful. Appearently, I increased my collection value compared to my buy-in investments by over +150% in 2 years.

Edit: What did you file in for your desired price compared to the offer estimate? Or did you just take the offer estimate?

Dec 2009
    Denmark

No problem 8) I didn't put anything under desired price, but got +$100 more than the estimate

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

I sold to MTGO traders. I'm expecting a check from them this week and I'll post in that thread here when I get it. I already got the store credit from them immediately, since I split payment into their paper card store (Figured I might as well finish up a couple Modern decks as long as I'm done with online playtesting and you get a 20% bonus to store credit).

Their prices seemed fair, but I didn't really shop around either. As soon as I realized how much more money my collection was worth compared to when I started (which was right when Modern was created, long before the Modern price increases) I decided I was out.

Like seriously, I know we all have thousand dollar paper collections and all, but when I saw that my online account hit $2k+ I was just done. I can buy every computer game that interests me for the next 10 years and not spend $2k... and MTGO just frustrates me in their incompetence. The arbitrary seizure of accounts also factored into my decision, but that's more of a "principle of the thing" than anything else since I have nothing to fear in that respect.

I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
    Nov 2008
    Austin, TX

Quote Originally Posted by dsck View Post
    Situation:
    Opponent casts Terminus leaving 2 mana open, I respond with dig, opponent flusters and I fluster back, by all logic I should be able to counter his fluster + terminus. Now to do that I have massive pile of flusterstorm triggers and no idea which is my and which is my opponents and what each are targetting. I lose my creatures to terminus and my fluster doesnt counter anything and I lose a match I was going to 99% win.

edit: if you misclick by small margin you will be targetting wrong copy of fluster and then things get kinky. heres some fluster action:
    When I was playing Solidarity on MTGO I had a few occasions where opponents would flusterstorm in response to the trigger of flusterstorm, life was good.

Opponent casts show and tell, I flusterstorm, Storm on stack they fluster back... gg.
    Team FireBrothers

Bands with Others
    Jul 2009
    NY, NY

I cannot adequately describe just how much MTGO has made me hate the game and everything that has to do with WotC. I hope it burns to the ground and every one quits at the same time. When I started(2008~) I had so much hope for the online game to become this thing where Legacy and Vintage fired around the clock daily. Where anyone could fire up the client and join a daily or premier any time of the day. Hoped that there would eventually be good prizes, lowered card costs for entry, lower entry fees, leagues with friends, free practice drafts, and a decent client. None of those things ever panned out. Not once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Respect my shine bitch!

Very seriously considering selling my modo collection in anticipation of legacy dying online. Good riddance.

I was thinking since Wizards is screwing us over pretty hard, maybe we should try and get a monthly source tournament going on cockatrice? We could also create a list of people's user names and the decks they primarily play so that members have a network of people to potentially test with. Anyone down for something like this???
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysandros View Post
    I'm a crusty "old" player who would play nothing but Vintage, Legacy and 93/94 if I could, so I'm probably biased...but I'll never understand the draw to Modern. It's the Communist Soviet Union of MtG formats.
    In regards to Legacy:
    Quote Originally Posted by GrimoirePath View Post
    I dont know, I guess I like the anarchistic, outlaw format that allows everything and can thrive with or without the papal blessing.

Mar 2007

Just got confirmation from Cardhoarder. Going to sell my collection later this day.

@menace13: I feel the same. MTGO and everything involved from their MTGO team of chucklefucks sucks the joy out of Magic.

@Dragonslayer_90: I would suggest to jump ship, too, before it's too late. Things never get better, but they'll always find ways to make it worse. Even if they revert these stupid changes because they'll find other ways to screw the userbase over.

I'm all in for Source tournaments on Cockatrice.

Dec 2012
    Vancouver, Canada

Nov 2006
    London

I was seriously considering buying in to Vintage (and Legacy) over the last year, mostly from watching VML. Glad I chickened out...

Quote Originally Posted by iamajellydonut View Post
    I mean, can you really be so surprised that Wizards went for the money option?
    After all these years? No.
    I am curious about some of the reasoning for 'play points' put forth in the announcement, though:

1. "Provide a prize that allows a Constructed player to immediately jump in another event."

I am perplexed by this stated goal. What does it mean? Can't I already "jump in another event" (should I wish to do so) simply by paying the required number of event tickets, and required that there is another such event immediately available for 'jumping in', which seems highly unlikely, giving the current daily event schedule?

Also, if the goal is to remove the hassle of selling booster packs to bots between events, which would make some sense I guess, then why not simply hand out some number of event tickets as prizes? Why is it necessary to invent 'play points', which is just a new, strictly worse event ticket?

2. "Constructed Daily Events (...) reflect the highest level of regularly available competition on Magic Online. As such, we are increasing the number of event tickets used to join to reflect this and help distance it from the eight-player queues. Since the quality of play in Constructed Daily Events can be quite intense, we expect some players will stick to the queues. Choose the level of event that is right for you."

For Legacy, Vintage, and Pauper there are no eight-player queues available, and the above statement therefore reduces to:
    "For Legacy, Vintage, and Pauper we are increasing the number of event tickets used to join, because the competition level is so high."

The whole article just seems like a failed attempt to use a standard communication template to obscure the real reasons behind these changes.
    Maybe, just maybe, somewhere there is good intention behind all this, but I doubt it.

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

If people would be willing to participate, I'd be willing to host something.

Thread Information