Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: MTGO discussion

Jul 2012
    Copenhagen, Denmark

Re: MTGO discussion

So I've been noticing something. And I can't really shake the feeling that this isn't just me being paranoid or scenario-biased or whatever, though it could well be.

But I fucking swear, that like 2/3 of my shuffle-ponders give me a card that I saw in those top-3 before hitting shuffle.

Has anybody had any similar experiences?

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Yes, I get this a lot more than I expect. I still think it's confirmation bias on my part, but I'm at least starting to have some minor doubts creeping in.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013

Considering the overall level of modo, I wouldn't be surprised if this happens.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

I don't really remember exactly (because I don't actually use MTGO), but wasn't there a bug with Ponder in regards to it not shuffling properly, once upon a time?
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    I don't really remember exactly (because I don't actually use MTGO), but wasn't there a bug with Ponder in regards to it not shuffling properly, once upon a time?
    Yup.

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/co...s_for_the_win/

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Ah, yes, I am old, so information is in there but sometimes jumbled (in time). At least I didn't make that up. Seems within the realm of possibility that the 'fix' for Ponder is actually still bugged.

Quote Originally Posted by nevilshute View Post
    So I've been noticing something. And I can't really shake the feeling that this isn't just me being paranoid or scenario-biased or whatever, though it could well be.

But I fucking swear, that like 2/3 of my shuffle-ponders give me a card that I saw in those top-3 before hitting shuffle.

This is definitely true, lost like 2 games in the mocs because of it. under some circumstances ponder just doesnt shuffle (properly or at all). But i dont think its quite 2/3ths. I cannot replicate the circustances therefore its hard to prove its a bug. Also i know a guy who filed for reimbursement successfully saying his ponder didnt shuffle.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

People get away with reimbursement requests for pretty much anything.

There's always been this rumor that WotC will auto-grant a certain number of requests per month so they don't have to deal with verifying every single one of them. I remember 2-3 years ago there was this huge outcry because they actually suspended an account that filed too many reimbursement requests.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Quote Originally Posted by nevilshute View Post

I had this happen multiple times over the past few weeks with my vintage deck full of restricted cards. I thought I was going crazy.

Maybe there is some underlying issue.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by supremePINEAPPLE View Post
    I had this happen multiple times over the past few weeks with my vintage deck full of restricted cards. I thought I was going crazy.

Maybe there is some underlying issue.
    Of course there is an underlying issue: the MTGO source code.

Jun 2010
    Italy

I have no actual data, but I have the same feelings about ponder. Somebody should start collecting data to prove this: after all, expecially in vintage with lot of cards as singleton, proving unstatistical data over a significant number of games shouldn't be too hard.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
    I have no actual data, but I have the same feelings about ponder. Somebody should start collecting data to prove this: after all, expecially in vintage with lot of cards as singleton, proving unstatistical data over a significant number of games shouldn't be too hard.
    If you just want the data, you could create a deck of, say 16 islands, 4 ponders, and 40 random singletons and do solitaire mode. In fact, if you're in solitaire, you could load up as many cards as you want for better testing. The only real problem is finding the mana and the ponder!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post
    If you just want the data, you could create a deck of, say 16 islands, 4 ponders, and 40 random singletons and do solitaire mode. In fact, if you're in solitaire, you could load up as many cards as you want for better testing. The only real problem is finding the mana and the ponder!
    Just run a ton of selection but use different arts when able. Preordain, Opt, Brainstorm, Serum Visions, Gush, Dig...
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Just run a ton of selection but use different arts when able. Preordain, Opt, Brainstorm, Serum Visions, Gush, Dig...
    Hah! With that I guess just run a zillion different Islands and mulligan until you hit ponder!
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

I just created a MGTO account and am looking to build a Legacy deck. MGTO Traders looks like the go-to site for purchasing singles, but I just wanted to see if anyone else had any preferences or recommendations for the best place to buy cards. I'm sure this has been asked a bajilliion times but the info I find searching forums has been a little outdated and I just want to make sure I'm working off of current info.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

In my experience, for the stuff that they do have, GoatBots tends to be the cheapest. However, they're fairly new so most of the stuff that you'll be looking for that they have will be duals and forces from VMA and fetches from KTK.

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

MTGO Traders and Cardhoarder are both easy and reliable to buy from, if you want to just kickstart your collection with cash. I only bought from MTGO Traders once and it was fine, but Cardhoarder always felt like a better transaction to me. I don't know if MTGO Traders has a paper counterpart, but Isle of Cards is a new paper vendor from the folks at Cardhoarder and (I think) you can buylist paper cards with them and redeem it for Cardhoarder MTGO credits. I buylisted with IoC once (for cash) and they were really great too.

If you're going to buy tix and shop around, you save money buying tix on the market instead of from WOTC. They're valued in the MTGO store at 1 tix/$1, but there is a variable tix price on the secondary market of somewhere between 1 tix/90-96 cents (my estimate), so you'll save money in the long run by buying your tix elsewhere. The store is more convenient I think and unless you're buying in bulk (50+), the 50 cents you might save might not be worth your time.

Check out www.mtgowikiprice.com to see current prices and stock for all cards and boosters across hundreds of bots. You can also conveniently enter your username and it tells you what bots you still have credit left on, for when you need to pick up those penny cards and don't need to spend a full tix for them.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by jrw1985 View Post
    I just created a MGTO account and am looking to build a Legacy deck. MGTO Traders looks like the go-to site for purchasing singles, but I just wanted to see if anyone else had any preferences or recommendations for the best place to buy cards. I'm sure this has been asked a bajilliion times but the info I find searching forums has been a little outdated and I just want to make sure I'm working off of current info.
    State-of-the-art info is still on the front page.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    MTGOtraders are great if you want to get into MTGO. I haven't used them in a while since I've gone infinite (mainly through smart trading decisions and not playing when booster prices are crap), but I can definitely recommend them for new players. The downside is that they're often a tad bit more expensive than other deals, but nothing major.

Once you get a hang of it, use https://mtgowikiprice.com/ to find the cheapest deals.

Goatbots often offers the best deals to sell (or buy) boosters or current cards and is not recorded by wikiprice. You'll also often find the best deals for current cards there. Another huge upside is that their prices always update instantly, while wikiprices might be off. Personally, they're my favorite bot chain due to speed, prices and reliability. Downside is that they don't have older Legacy staples.

If you're looking for older stuff, botomagic/staplesomagic (same botchain) have alot of older stuff for okay prices.

If you're looking for deals, I would check Goldfish for MTGOtrader prices and compare them to Goatbots and the wikiprice offers.

That's how I normally do my trade stuff.

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

Seconding mtgowikiprice.com, it's what I use for everything. Slightly more time consuming than just using the same bot, but you can save a few $$$ over time.
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

Thank you all for the insight! I'm thinking I'll buy enough tix to cover my high priced purchases (Wasteland) and pick those up from a bot. The rest of the deck list will be dirt cheap since I'm building Goblins, and I'll probably just by those all in one fell swoop at MGTOtraders or something. That seems easier than trying to piece it together from individual bots. Or am I overthinking this?
    Either way, buying into MTGO is pretty daunting. It's odd to me that there isn't just a centralized marketplace within the game for buying and selling cards. Well, I guess I need to poke around in there more still.
    Can you buy cards off players with tix? Or "trade" them, I guess. Or are tix just for purchasing packs within the game? I'm a noob.

Thread Information