Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829 LastLast

Thread: MTGO discussion

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Re: MTGO discussion

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles...ges-2017-05-04

Actually a good change, for once. Now we get weekly Legacy challenges, even though them being on Sunday kinda sucks für Europe. Still better than playing until 4 am in the morning if you reach the finals.

They see me puntin'
    May 2010
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles...ges-2017-05-04

Actually a good change, for once. Now we get weekly Legacy challenges, even though them being on Sunday kinda sucks für Europe. Still better than playing until 4 am in the morning if you reach the finals.

Im afraid putting any money in MTGO with the possibility of them announcing the new Magic Online platform this year and thus consequently my collections worth plummeting to almost nothing compared what I paid for it. Im very tempted to buy in again though...

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by dsck View Post
    Im afraid putting any money in MTGO with the possibility of them announcing the new Magic Online platform this year and thus consequently my collections worth plummeting to almost nothing compared what I paid for it. Im very tempted to buy in again though...
    I'm still looking for the right deck to buy, but that's a very sound logic. I'm most likely going to wait until "announcement day" during June as well.

http://wizardsmtgo.tumblr.com/post/1...astation-cards

Whoopsie. It's also amazing that they can't control what's legal or not in constructed without a downtime.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Its an old post, but never does it stop being so very on point:

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    To their credit, at least they're consistent in their incompetence.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by supremePINEAPPLE View Post
    http://wizardsmtgo.tumblr.com/post/1...astation-cards

Whoopsie. It's also amazing that they can't control what's legal or not in constructed without a downtime.
    This is a fucking joke. For a company like hasbro whose most profitable subsidiary is Wizards, you'd think they could get some fucking funding and support for it.

I think one of the main problems is that the project to rebuild is FUCKING HUGE. Think about having to program every card and how it works. There are close to 20,000 unique cards in magic i think... Additionally, they need 2 teams (1 to rebuild and 1 to keep the shit show going).
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by apple713 View Post
    This is a fucking joke. For a company like hasbro whose most profitable subsidiary is Wizards, you'd think they could get some fucking funding and support for it.

I think one of the main problems is that the project to rebuild i FUCKING HUGE. Think about having to program every card and how it works. There are close to 20,000 unique cards in magic i think...
    Funding isn't the main problem, the shitty management at WotC. Until they purge ALL those chucklefuck managers, there is no way things are going to change.

The problem is that Hasbro doesn't care enough about WotC to do an actual check what's wrong. At worst, they would replace the CEO and hope for more cash flow. That's why MTGO's competitors are eating its market share.

It really is a crazy thing to program and even though I like to poke fun at them I still play on a regular basis and it usually works perfectly. It's kind of amazing that it works as well as it does and I get why nobody on the WotC side is excited to redo all that work for the upside of a new client for an expensive niche product.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

It really is a crazy thing to program and even though I like to poke fun at them I still play on a regular basis and it usually works perfectly. It's kind of amazing that it works as well as it does and I get why nobody on the WotC side is excited to redo all that work for the upside of a new client for an expensive niche product.
    I wouldnt call it niche product. Its supplemental. The issue is that the business model is outdated. They have failed to adapt to their competitors. Why would i pay a $300+ for a deck in magic when i can play Free to play games like hearthstone, and have a significantly better online experience. For FREE. MTGO is currently like the most expensive online card game and yet it has the WORST user interface. WOTC will likely be forced to shut down online if they dont get their shit together. I cant imagine it is consistently profitable.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

I bet it's totally profitable with all of the limited churn happening regularly. They also wouldn't have something as convoluted as redemption set up for years if it was losing money. I think it's just simpler for them to keep it chugging along as-is rather than upend the whole thing and do a ton of investment just for a shot at potentially chipping away at hearthstones market share.

So I've been playing my Soldier Stompy deck on MTGO recently after spending more than $1k to buy into the game and build some decks in Legacy and Modern.

I was really looking forward to testing the Soldier deck some more today in a few Legacy leagues. I started a league match earlier and I was playing against RUG Delver, had a Cavern of Souls naming "Soldier" in play, and tried to cast an uncounterable Thalia, Guardian of Thraben. For some reason the game won't let me pay for Soldiers... with "Soldier" mana. If you name "Human", you can use it to pay for an uncounterable Thalia, but if you name "Soldier", it won't let you pay the white cost and you have to tap the Cavern for COLORLESS mana.

Supposedly this is an issue with alot of other cards as well - the new "patch" made it so that Cavern of Souls only works with the *first*" creature type on the card. I.e. because Thalia is a "Human Soldier", you can use Cavern mana naming "Human" to cast her, but not "Soldier". but if she were a "Soldier Human", the opposite would be true.

Needless to say, I cannot play my Soldier deck that I invested hundreds of dollars into on MTGO without experiencing rage and frustration. Sure, I can name "Human" with my Cavern but then I have to dance around playing Preeminent Captain and other non-Human soldiers. I shouldn't have to deal with this kind of incompetence when I pay serious money for something. I mean, when I played on XMage they had fewer bugs and issues with the software and it's a completely free-to-play platform!

How can they fuck something so basic up and just leave it sitting there? How long will I have to wait until I can PLAY MY DECK on this software?

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by MGB View Post
    So I've been playing my Soldier Stompy deck on MTGO recently after spending more than $1k to buy into the game and build some decks in Legacy and Modern.

I was really looking forward to testing the Soldier deck some more today in a few Legacy leagues. I started a league match earlier and I was playing against RUG Delver, had a Cavern of Souls naming "Soldier" in play, and tried to cast an uncounterable Thalia, Guardian of Thraben. For some reason the game won't let me pay for Soldiers... with "Soldier" mana. If you name "Human", you can use it to pay for an uncounterable Thalia, but if you name "Soldier", it won't let you pay the white cost and you have to tap the Cavern for COLORLESS mana.

Supposedly this is an issue with alot of other cards as well - the new "patch" made it so that Cavern of Souls only works with the *first*" creature type on the card. I.e. because Thalia is a "Human Soldier", you can use Cavern mana naming "Human" to cast her, but not "Soldier". but if she were a "Soldier Human", the opposite would be true.

Needless to say, I cannot play my Soldier deck that I invested hundreds of dollars into on MTGO without experiencing rage and frustration. Sure, I can name "Human" with my Cavern but then I have to dance around playing Preeminent Captain and other non-Human soldiers. I shouldn't have to deal with this kind of incompetence when I pay serious money for something. I mean, when I played on XMage they had fewer bugs and issues with the software and it's a completely free-to-play platform!

How can they fuck something so basic up and just leave it sitting there? How long will I have to wait until I can PLAY MY DECK on this software?
    Cavern is just a giant PoS in terms of coding. It's also extremely buggy when copied with Vesuva since it doesn't allow you to choose a creature type on the copy, resulting in a pretty useless card.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Cavern is just a giant PoS in terms of coding. It's also extremely buggy when copied with Vesuva since it doesn't allow you to choose a creature type on the copy, resulting in a pretty useless card.
    On XMage it works and has worked for years just fine.

I just get the general impression that the XMage coding is superior in quality to MTGO. Not that XMage is perfect by any stretch, but the fact that a completely freeware in-their-spare-time project is mostly functionally SUPERIOR to a MTGO (which involves a whole staff on Wizards' payroll) is completely sad and disturbing.

I thought that at the very least, by paying money to play Magic online, I could forget about technical problems and just focus on quality of the game... I was sorely mistaken. I have a more bug-free, frustration-free experience playing on XMage than I do on MTGO.

I don't know why you would have the impression that MTGO is bug-free. It's known for being a buggy, clunky mess maintained by sub-par developers since WotC won't pay market rates for devs. What it's actually good for is getting excellent practice against competition that is generally much better than your average local scene or any of the free programs.

EDIT: Also just for a little piece of mind, the cavern thing will be patched at some point. Important constructed cards are given a much higher priority when it comes to bug fixes and all that stuff so it will most likely work for you soon. Still super frustrating for you but that's MTGO in a nutshell lol.

I don't know why you would have the impression that MTGO is bug-free. It's known for being buggy, clunky, and being maintained by sub-par developers since WotC won't pay market rates for devs. What it's actually good for is getting excellent practice against competition that is generally much better than your average local scene or any of the free programs.

EDIT: Also just for a little piece of mind, the cavern thing will be patched at some point. Important constructed cards are given a much higher priority when it comes to bug fixes and all that stuff so it will most likely work for you soon. Still super frustrating for you but that's MTGO in a nutshell lol.

I just can't believe that a free, spare-time project is better designed and better programmed than something a multi-million dollar company puts out. It would be like if someone created a completely free Windows clone that was better than Microsoft's (Linux is a completely different animal).

And yeah, I am a little salty after literally spending $1k+ in a few days to buy into the decks I want to play... and then to find out, in the middle of a Legacy League, that my deck can't function properly and might not function properly for how many days or weeks.

And I could afford to buy into any deck I want on MTGO but I really wanted to playtest my Soldier deck in Leagues and Challenges more than anything else. And now I can't.

Yeah it's some bullshit. I've sold out multiple times due to being sick of something or other so I definitely get it. Unfortunately I think the competition and stakes makes it better than the alternatives even with the bugs so I keep slinking back. I just make sure that I don't build my collection too big anymore so I can soften the inevitable rage quit and/or WotC deciding to change the pricing model and deleting everyone's collection.

Well, at least they refunded my League entry fee. That's a start. But I still want to know how long I have to wait until I can actually play my deck. :(

In the email they sent me, they said they are "actively aware of this issue". I certainly hope so.

Dec 2015
    Bensalem, PA

Well, at least they refunded my League entry fee. That's a start. But I still want to know how long I have to wait until I can actually play my deck. :(

In the email they sent me, they said they are "actively aware of this issue". I certainly hope so.
    I think it took 2-3 weeks to fix Animate Dead when it didn't work and prevented people from playing BR Reanimator not that long ago. So maybe a similar or hopefully faster timetable if they are aware of the issue?

New annoyances I noticed the week are having to click "cast" on 0 drop artifacts (I guess people were misclicking?) and the opponents hands being micro sized when it is revealed to discard/surgical/etc. The hand reveal box thing is particularly annoying since the cards are impossible to see and stretching the box will inevitably lead to accidentally clicking on/choosing a card by mistake at times.

I just can't believe that a free, spare-time project is better designed and better programmed than something a multi-million dollar company puts out. It would be like if someone created a completely free Windows clone that was better than Microsoft's (Linux is a completely different animal).

And yeah, I am a little salty after literally spending $1k+ in a few days to buy into the decks I want to play... and then to find out, in the middle of a Legacy League, that my deck can't function properly and might not function properly for how many days or weeks.

And I could afford to buy into any deck I want on MTGO but I really wanted to playtest my Soldier deck in Leagues and Challenges more than anything else. And now I can't.
    Its because WOTC's salary for their software devs is like half of the industry standard in the area, why would anyone ever go to work for them if they could easily be making much more down the street at any of the other numerous tech companies there.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Thread Information