Thread: [SCD] Mishra's Bauble (+ fetchlands)

[SCD] Mishra's Bauble (+ fetchlands)

Mishra's Bauble is an old 'freetrip' artifact:

Artifact
    Tap, Sacrifice Mishra's Bauble: Look at the top card of target player's library. Draw a card at the beginning of the next turn's upkeep.
    People generally don't like the 'delayed cantrip' mechanic, but while discussing the new mulligan mechanics, it occurred to me that combining the bauble and fetchlands could give a "free" scry-like effect if you activate the bauble targeting yourself, and then activate a fetchland if you don't like the top card of your deck.

Naturally, the cantrip-delay means the bauble isn't great as a top-deck later in the game, but it's also not completely terrible since it does replace itself.

The bauble also has a bunch of smaller synergies as a token artifact, graveyard filler, or generic draw effect.

That makes me think it could work quite well to help stabilize the draws of a deck like burn which plays fetchlands, has limited card quality tools available, and doesn't try to combo by cycling through draw effects in a single turn.

Is this a technique that people have experimented with and discarded or is it a bad idea for some obvious reason that I've missed?

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Re: [SCD] Mishra's Bauble (+ fetchlands)

It basically says "scry 1 if you have a fetchland" and is otherwise a delayed variant of Street Wraith or Gitaxian Probe.

I can't honestly believe there's greater generic uses.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

The problem is that you've drawn Bauble instead of basically any other card. I get your reasoning, but probably the best thing non-blue decks can do for consistency is to just have a high concentration of redundant pieces. If burn really wanted a Scry effect, it's had access to Magma Jet for a long time. It costs mana, but it doesn't depend on having a fetchland in play, and it advances the decks plan.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

I explored this topic to some extent many years ago.
    This may be helpful.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    I explored this topic to some extent many years ago.
    This may be helpful.
    Great link, thanks. Are you planning to revisit that concept now that Abbot of Keral Keep has been spoiled, and Gitaxian probe is available?

Sep 2004
    South Florida

Huh. I don't see why not. We were all excited about it, and then nobody (even me) bothered to get it right back then. It has been eight years of printings, so it may be worth trying again. I think that if you went the R/u route, you may end up in a Delver deck. If that is the case, I just don't know how necessary the Baubles would be. But you don't really need to do that to use Probes. What would be cool would be if we found another cool interaction to make the Baubles worth the effort.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by MattH View Post
    Ever notice that Burn looks like it should be bitchin good
    No.

P.S. Shock is garbage.
    Hah!

What would be cool would be if we found another cool interaction to make the Baubles worth the effort.
    Monastery Swiftspear?

Hand of Mountain, Bauble, Bauble, Probe, Swiftspear, X, Y

First turn Mountain => Swiftspear
    Bauble, Bauble, Probe. Draw a card. Swing for 4.
    End of opponent's turn sac the baubles.
    Your turn draw 3.

Eh? It's good if you draw Lightning Bolts. Not so much if you draw more Baubles. Although I suppose the Baubles continue to trigger prowess...

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

SecondSunriseBaubleBurnSpear.dec
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

... What would be cool would be if we found another cool interaction to make the Baubles worth the effort.
    Mishra's bauble does fit well with the abbot (though he doesn't do so well as a burn card).

I'm not sure where critical mass for metalcraft is maybe somewhere between 20-30 cards? Maybe you can slot in two baubles, great furnace, Lotus Petal and Sensei's divining top make Mox Opal, Galvanic Blast and Molten Psyche possible.

Sep 2004
    South Florida

The abbot is not quite a burn card, that is true. I wonder what this deck would look like with some disruption. The abbot is good with Aether Vial, and a deck with disruption works well with it too.

When you use the baubles, you are going to want to sac them right away. Stuff like metalcraft (and the old discussion of Shrapnel Blast) are not helped with baubles.

When you use the baubles, you are going to want to sac them right away. Stuff like metalcraft (and the old discussion of Shrapnel Blast) are not helped with baubles.
    So more like graveyard feeding for Barbarian Ring or Grim Lavamancer?

If you're regularly drawing extra cards maybe Street Wraith,Manamorphose and Thunderous Wrath?

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    So more like graveyard feeding for Barbarian Ring or Grim Lavamancer?

If you're regularly drawing extra cards maybe Street Wraith,Manamorphose and Thunderous Wrath?
    If you run too many probe like cantrips, you cant mulligan well because you only see half your hand. Also miracle only works with the first drawn card!
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Jul 2013
    Texas

This interaction is actually a key tactic in this modern suicide zoo deck, since it runs a ton of fetches and Become Immense, and needs to draw gas fast to win. It's also the reason Mishras Bauble is way overpriced at the moment.

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype...oo-20758#paper

Legacy just has way better options, imo.

Back in the day it felt quite successful in black sui, powering out your Tombstalker t2 after t1 disruption.
    They are still my pet cards, though right now i don't see them working quite well.

This brew might have some potential:
    Monastery Swiftspear
    Monastery Mentor
    Young Pyromancer
    Cavern of Souls
    +8 bauble, +4 probe
    +Your favorite instant/sorcery package.

Getting a turn1 4-power swiftspear is quite common.
    And we all know what happens when Mentor or Pyromancer isn't answered in time.
    You just steadily cycle through your deck each turn with a few prowess / pyromancer triggers.
    Cabal Therapy and Faithless Looting are a must, the latter to turn your unwanted cards in new gas, which is going to happen cause of the inevitable drawing of multiples.
    Even when baubles+pyromancer is a nonbo, the latter is too good not to include.
    If I find some time, I'll fetch it together and enter a daily for fun and see if it works out.
    Overall its a fun deck during goldfish, but competitive? mweh probably not :)

Thread Information