Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Lifetime" ban for Zach Jesse

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

Re: "Lifetime" ban for Zach Jesse

Quote Originally Posted by firebadmattgood View Post
    This is seriously the most toxic community I've ever encountered. You people are OUTRAGED that a man who vaginally and anally raped a 19 year woman while she was passed out on her toilet is now banned from playing a children's card game at the professional level.

Proposing that WotC either implement absurdly burdensome background checks to ban all felons or sex offenders or to let all of them play is a trivially obvious false dilemna and profoundly stupid to bring up in the context of WotC banning one high profile player to protect their public image.

Comparing him to Chapin, who did time for selling something to someone who wanted to buy it, is an equally obvious false equivalence.
    You are correct on all points. It turns out there are consequences to being a rapist. This one was just unforeseen, but entirely reasonable.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

This is seriously the most toxic community I've ever encountered. You people are OUTRAGED that a man who vaginally and anally raped a 19 year woman while she was passed out on her toilet is now banned from playing a children's card game at the professional level.

Proposing that WotC either implement absurdly burdensome background checks to ban all felons or sex offenders or to let all of them play is a trivially obvious false dilemna and profoundly stupid to bring up in the context of WotC banning one high profile player to protect their public image.

Comparing him to Chapin, who did time for selling something to someone who wanted to buy it, is an equally obvious false equivalence.
    Yeah, but should we really judge people based on their actions??? It's not like he was raping someone during the GP. /sarcasm

So this isn't about a company distancing themselves from a rapist, it's about ethics in WotC's banning policy?

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

People aren't outraged that he could banned for it (I think it's a perfectly acceptable decision to protect their brand), but that he was only banned after some twitter drama for something he has done 10 years ago - and he was rehabilitated. Wizards was fine with him playing before. It was public information that he's a sex offender.

Don't make Chapin's crime appear harmless. Dealing with 10k+ ecstasy pills isn't a minor deal, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Ignition View Post
    It's also about the DCI caving to social media pressures instead of actually being consistent or saying anywhere that "sex offenders are not allowed to play."

Arbitrary bannings because of twitter brigades is terrible.
    On the one hand, there are events like the disqualified miracles player who rolled a die to see if they should draw a T8 game (letting his mulled-to-5 opponent draw back up to 7), or Chapin's camera match "it touched your hand it's a draw" game loss, or LSV drawing an extra card on a Glimpse turn against Sam Black. In those cases, the Judge's have concluded, "Sorry, we know exactly what happened and why and that it was accidental and easy to perfectly fix, but we have these airtight rules and there is no recourse for so-called 'common sense.'"

Then, there are actions like this which correspond to the internet visibility of an issue, rather than any reference to consistent policy.
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Nilla Pac View Post
    I've goldfished with Doomsday decks about twenty times and I still haven't won a game yet.

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

It is not a false equivalence at all.

"Kill the pushers" is a statement that has been immortalized to me. I grew up, and continue to live, in an area, a community, festered with drugs and drug problems. My roommate is a recovering addict. He had a wife, a house, a job, and twin daughters. Then he had a crippling addiction and an illustrious off-and-on career at Cheese Boy's and other charitable businesses. It's only after eleven years, after losing everything and alienating the family that he helped create, that he's finally getting back on his feet. He's since devoted himself, body and soul, to helping the rest of the world get on theirs.

He runs two sober houses and goes out of his way to staff the insulation company that he manages with only men who are on the process to being recovered. Every waking moment that he is not at work or trying to buy his daughters' forgiveness, he is making housecalls to deal with or is on the phone dealing with the neverending stream of men and women who relapse or otherwise continue wasting away every day. Including dealing with his sister who would rather abandon her son for days on end to "have fun" rather than take responsibility and do better than getting fired from Pizza Hut on a monthy basis.

Don't tell me drug felonies aren't as important. Don't boil it down to a "life choice". Don't marginalize it because it's "just ecstasy".

I agree, addiction is terrible. Your friend's story wouldn't be any worse if his issues were with alcohol, and it would still be wrong to compare liquor store operators to rapists.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by iamajellydonut View Post
    It is not a false equivalence at all.
    It is though. Violent crime =/= nonviolent crime.

Sorry to hear about you friend.

Bands with Others
    Jul 2009
    NY, NY

Drew Levin is an incredibly stiff, annoying, nasally voiced, little girl crying for any attention. That wasn't a public safety reminder. It was Drew begging for attention.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Respect my shine bitch!

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

Quote Originally Posted by menace13 View Post
    Drew Levin is an incredibly stiff, annoying, nasally voiced, little girl crying for any attention. That wasn't a public safety reminder. It was Drew begging for attention.
    And irrelevant.

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    And rape isn't always violent.

Mar 2007

I agree, addiction is terrible. Your friend's story wouldn't be any worse if his issues were with alcohol, and it would still be wrong to compare liquor store operators to rapists.
    Liquor store operators don't break the law, while drug dealers do. Just like there's a difference between consensual sex and rape. One thing is perfectly fine and legal while the other one is a heavy crime that ruins lives.

You can't just marginalize a major drug dealer just like that.

Violent crime =/= nonviolent crime.
    I think that's a pretty weak reasoning. You do harm to the consumers, although indirectly by selling the drugs. And Chapin most likely harmed alot more people with his little stunt than Zach Jesse. But in the end, we're comparing apples with oranges here.

Nov 2010
    Japan

...It would still be wrong to compare liquor store operators to rapists.
    Chapin would likely still be locked away if the key witness against him hadn't died right before testifying. I'm not going to pretend that I know the whole story, but you can see some of the information of Chapin's case online, and I would be reluctant to just write off his criminal organization as a nonviolent crime or somehow less severe than a sexual assault.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    we're comparing apples with oranges here.
    You mean like it's a false equivalence?

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

Quote Originally Posted by iamajellydonut View Post
    And rape isn't always violent.
    Example?

Mar 2007

You mean like it's a false equivalence?
    Nope.

Both are different crimes, but both are also felonies. My point is that I wouldn't argue that a major drug dealer is a better person than a rapist. Both are shitty people and neither crime should be excused or marginalized.

It'd be one thing if he was actually sorry for what he did or knew what he did was wrong. He's very obviously not though. It's always "the incident", "the mistake". That post he wrote on reddit was one of the most scummy manipulative things I've ever read. If he's sorry about anything, it's that he's sorry there were consequences.

What a piece of garbage, good fucking riddance.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

Let's all just take this as a reminder to talk to our sons about not raping girls. Then something good comes out of this.

Quote Originally Posted by jrw1985 View Post
    Let's all just take this as a reminder to talk to our sons about not raping girls. Then something good comes out of this.
    His parents obviously didn't.

Jesse's parents also blame the alcohol, and say they are "thankful both [Zachary and the victim] are alive."
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by jrw1985 View Post
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Cobain
    The problem with groups who deal with rape is that they try to educate women about how to defend themselves. What really needs to be done is teaching men not to rape. Go to the source and start there.

Thread Information