Page 44 of 83 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546474854 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Grixis Tempo

Re: [DTB] Grixis Tempo

Rough // Tumble seems good, but would you play it mainboard? Dread of Night seems better from the sideboard.

Ben Friendman posted an article on Grixis Delver, specifically about his love for Snapcaster Mage and also about the new turbo Angler build:

http://www.gatheringmagic.com/benfri...lver-wranglin/

The True-Name Nemesis build seems interesting. He says he would cut 'Goyf for either Angler or Strix and I'm leaning towards the first option myself.

I think Noah Walker's list is really good against D&T game 1 (at least the old versions):

- YP goes a long way if unanswered (he's kind of a must-kill alongside delver). Cabal Therapy is pretty good against Stoneforge Mystic, the opponent is also forced to either play into Daze or get his stuff discarded.
    - I like the newer Sideboard that's less focused on creature-hate that relies on the gy. Darkblast and Grim Lavamancer seem rather bad against D&T with no answers to RIP. Forked Bolt on the other side is pretty good, Fire Covenant helps cleaning up everything. I'd propably have one of each of them in the sb.
    Since Noah is not running Abrupt Decay I actually like his Engineered Explosives, could be it's better in general. It's definitely not bad against D&T, just remember that your Insectile Aberrations now have a cmc of 1 with the new rule!
    - In the mainboard the 5th removal is a flex slot between Forked Bolt and Dismember, Forked Bolt is definitely preferable in this matchup.

Overall I think the matchup can be tailored to be in your favor overall, have fun!

Edit: Here's Noah Walker playing against D&T btw:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...tV9qFIJ-iTmcCh

He now also has video series against Storm and Lands (so far).
    Last edited by Agrippa91; 08-30-2016 at 10:40 AM.

Saheeli Rai

Might be a long shot, but does anyone think the new Saheeli Rai could find a home in Grixis Delver? The +1 and -2 could be pretty nice. Copying a flipped delver for extra beats, or copying a pyromancer for double tokens. I am thinking why not test it in the true-name/v-clique flex spot. Maybe I'm out of my mind.

Thoughts???

I'm sorry to say that buy you're completely (!) out of your mind.
    This card is just the worst and it would surprise me if it would even see play in standard. It has not a single mode to get either creature or card advantage (the scrying 1 is a joke) making it bad against aggro, control AND combo. Furthermore the ultimate does plain nothing. When you untap with a YP (which rarely has to happen in order to use her -2) you're in good spot anyways, not saying that copying that creature would even do much good.

The reason why TNN and Clique are good is because one is super awesome against "fair" decks and the other one is super awesome against "unfair" (combo) decks, making this slot a metagame choice.

Edit: @DanGomba: Misersoneof is right when he doesn't agree with my phrasing, sry for that. I at first figured using your own words would make it sound ok, but it's something quite different when you call yourself out of your mind or when somebody else does it. My apologies, all I wanted to emphasize is that I really don't think that this new planeswalker is a playable card in Legacy.
    Last edited by Agrippa91; 09-04-2016 at 02:53 PM.

Too tired to live, too lazy to die...
    Sep 2014
    On top of a mountain somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by DanGomba View Post
    Might be a long shot, but does anyone think the new Saheeli Rai could find a home in Grixis Delver? The +1 and -2 could be pretty nice. Copying a flipped delver for extra beats, or copying a pyromancer for double tokens. I am thinking why not test it in the true-name/v-clique flex spot. Maybe I'm out of my mind.

Thoughts???

Quote Originally Posted by Agrippa91 View Post
    I'm sorry to say that buy you're completely (!) out of your mind.
    This card is just the worst and it would surprise me if it would even see play in standard. It has not a single mode to get either creature or card advantage (the scrying 1 is a joke) making it bad against aggro, control AND combo. Furthermore the ultimate does plain nothing. When you untap with a YP (which rarely has to happen in order to use her -2) you're in good spot anyways, not saying that copying that creature would even do much good.

The reason why TNN and Clique are good is because one is super awesome against "fair" decks and the other one is super awesome against "unfair" (combo) decks, making this slot a metagame choice.
    I agree with Agrippa that the card probably won't find a place in Grixis legacy shells (even tho I don't agree with the sentiment used). Her plus ability does help us scry to gas and adds to our clock (although just slightly) and her 2nd ability helps when we are ahead or at parity, but on the whole she doesn't do enough when you are behind. It's important to keep in mind that Grixis is a tempo deck and our main goal is to speed up the clock while keeping the opponent stuck in the early stages of the game. She doesn't really help this plan. She would be better fit a combo shell that uses artifacts.
    mise 'miz v alter. of might as well (1997) 1: to win when you don't deserve to 2: to top-deck the "tings" you need 3: to be rewarded by an opponent's bad luck 4: to coin a phrase that spreads through the tournament scene like wildfire 5: to fling a monkey 6: to split firewood using a sharp instrument 7: To burn

Tomorrow belongs to those who prepare for it today.
    Mar 2014

With the current maindeck, Saheeli simply have no sense in Grixis.

Oct 2010
    Bergen County - NJ

Anyone have insight with Noah Walker's List how I should board on the play//draw vs Shardless BUG?

Finding I want to bring in Strix's Vortex E.E., pyroblast, painful truth, and possibly the Winter's Orb.
    Last edited by Darkness; 09-06-2016 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
    Anyone have insight with Noah Walker's List how I should board on the play//draw?

Finding I want to bring in Strix's Vortex E.E., pyroblast, painful truth, and possibly the Winter's Orb.
    What matchup are we talking about? The cards you mention are good in some matchups no matter wether you're on the play or on the draw.

Oct 2010
    Bergen County - NJ

What matchup are we talking about? The cards you mention are good in some matchups no matter wether you're on the play or on the draw.
    Sorry Agrippa91, it was for Shardless BUG, I corrected myself thanks for pointing it out.

Sufluric Vortex is not a good card vs. Shardless. They can put on a clock really fast when they draw a Tarmogoyf or have small stuff around.
    Personally I really like Daze vs. Shardless (I play stifle though which makes daze better in general).
    Noteworthy is that the opponent can't really "punish" your for FoW-ing a spell because they don't play any cheap countermagic like Daze, Flusterstorm or REB.
    People in general keep in FoW otd against Shardless, especially when they don't have good answers to Tarmogoyf.
    The daze/fow count is the only thing that changes depending wether you're otp or not. It really depends though how many sideboard cards you have in general.

Explosives, Truths and Strix are great card in the matchup, Noah himself pointed out several times that he has Winter Orb only against Miracles. People here on the forums have liked it against Shardles, too though. Keep in mind that you have to get rid of their shamans, otherwise Winter Orb is very mediocre.

Oct 2010
    Bergen County - NJ

Sufluric Vortex is not a good card vs. Shardless. They can put on a clock really fast when they draw a Tarmogoyf or have small stuff around.
    Personally I really like Daze vs. Shardless (I play stifle though which makes daze better in general).
    Noteworthy is that the opponent can't really "punish" your for FoW-ing a spell because they don't play any cheap countermagic like Daze, Flusterstorm or REB.
    People in general keep in FoW otd against Shardless, especially when they don't have good answers to Tarmogoyf.
    The daze/fow count is the only thing that changes depending wether you're otp or not. It really depends though how many sideboard cards you have in general.

Explosives, Truths and Strix are great card in the matchup, Noah himself pointed out several times that he has Winter Orb only against Miracles. People here on the forums have liked it against Shardles, too though. Keep in mind that you have to get rid of their shamans, otherwise Winter Orb is very mediocre.
    Thoughts on keeping Therapies in the Deck as they are a tap out control deck?

Could you tell me how is the ug infect matchup in general? Plus any advice what to side out and side in? Sideboard for my meta is following:

2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Pitnihg Needle
    1 Ancient Grudge
    1 Painful Truths
    1 Winter Orb
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Dread of Night
    1 Fire Covenant
    1 Abrupt Decay
    1 Terminate
    1 Vendilion Clique
    1 Cabal Therapy
    1 Spell Pierce
    1 Pyroblast

Thanks,
    Peter

Aug 2015
    Norcal

Quote Originally Posted by pjetr0 View Post
    Could you tell me how is the ug infect matchup in general? Plus any advice what to side out and side in? Sideboard for my meta is following:

2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Pitnihg Needle
    1 Ancient Grudge
    1 Painful Truths
    1 Winter Orb
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Dread of Night
    1 Fire Covenant
    1 Abrupt Decay
    1 Terminate
    1 Vendilion Clique
    1 Cabal Therapy
    1 Spell Pierce
    1 Pyroblast

Thanks,
    Peter
    What's your main deck?

Maindeck is pretty stock. My meta is usually dnt, gwx, miracles, eldrazi, merfolks, snt, jund, grixis, shardless, nic fit. Occasionally ant, elves, mud, pox, burn, aggro loam and infect.

4 Wasteland
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Flooded Strand
    3 Volcanic Island
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Tropical Island

4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Young Pyromancer
    2 Gurmag Angler

4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    3 Gitaxian Probe

4 Daze
    4 Force of Will
    1 Spell Pierce
    1 Spell Snare

4 Lightning Bolt
    1 Dismember

2 Cabal Therapy

Originally, dismember was forked bolt previously but right now dismember seems to have more impact. The same applies for spell snare vs gitaxian probe.

Regards,
    Peter

I really would recommend having a Forked Bolt or Grim Lavamancer in the SB. You other removal spells can just be too clunky against Infect (Daze, Spell Pierce), D&T (Thalia, Wasteland, Port) or Elves (mass).
    I'd recommend cutting the terminate from the sb or changing the mb dismember for a terminate to get an extra sb slot.
    Also Spell Pierce seems odd as a sideboard card, you bring it in against Miracles and Prison decks (mediocre against both) or why is it not a flusterstorm or invasive surgery?

Against Infect with your list I'd board in
    1 Pithing Needle (most importantly Blinkmoth Nexus, but also Pendelhaven when it's already on the battlefield)
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Fire Covenant
    1 Abrupt Decay
    1 Terminate (better Forked Bolt or Grim Lavamancer)
    1 Pyroblast (most importantly Agent and Brainstorm, but also Spell Pierce and FoW since they'll have some of those, too)

Many of your removal spells are rather clunky, perhaps you should not board in Engineered Explosives (also hits your own guys and not Nexus) and Decay (doesn't hit Nexus, mana can be hard).
    For the 4 remaining cards I would board out 2 Anglers and 2 FoWs.

Generally in the matchup you want to kill their stuff on your turn so they can't utilize pump spells while also dealing damage to you. Look also for windows to utilize your removal spells, e.g. when they're tapping out eot for fetching or brainstorming and you have Daze backup.
    Inkmoth Nexus you should only target once it already has a pump spell directed at it, otherwise you can kill it once the combat step is over and your opponent's pump now longer affects how many poison counters you get.

Tomorrow belongs to those who prepare for it today.
    Mar 2014

In my experience the Infect matchup is not bad.
    Many of our resources work good vs this archetype.
    Young Pyromancer can create many blocker for Glistener Elf and this creature is not a problem.
    Wasteland go on Nexus, I make attention for this and do not waste tropical many times.
    Bolt on Agent.

In G2 the matchup is too easy because you put in many good cards vs Infect.

Hi Guys!

What do you think about the new card Lost Legacy ?
    In my opinion could be a valid Side card for the deck, can go to solve many problem of the deck (Counterbalance,Terminus,Life from the Loam,Punishing Fire...) and with Deathrite Shaman, teorically you can do it on turn 2!
    Im finding Miracle match up, really hard, every their cards, need a Force of will, and also if you stop Counterbalance, they have too many win codition against us...

Aug 2015
    Norcal

Quote Originally Posted by Sigi85 View Post
    Hi Guys!

What do you think about the new card Lost Legacy ?
    In my opinion could be a valid Side card for the deck, can go to solve many problem of the deck (Counterbalance,Terminus,Life from the Loam,Punishing Fire...) and with Deathrite Shaman, teorically you can do it on turn 2!
    Im finding Miracle match up, really hard, every their cards, need a Force of will, and also if you stop Counterbalance, they have too many win codition against us...
    I don't think it's good.

Miracles is hard, but I really think it can go either way. It's not super lopsided in their favor.

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

This weekend a friend asked me why Grixis, especially the ones with two Therapy MD, play more Volcs than seas if there there are more cards needing black mana than red (4 DRS, 2 Angler, 2 Therapy and sometimes Decay in the SB vs 4 bolt, 3 YP sometimes a Forked Bolt). I couldn't give a good answer, could anybody expand on it?

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

Site Contributor

Jun 2013
    Philadelphia, PA

I've always assumed that people did that because cutting the third Sea for the Trop gives you the same number of lands that cast Deathrite Shaman rather than shorting yourself on lands that cast Pyromancer and Lightning Bolt. I've been playing 19 Lands in my Grixis/4c lists lately specifically because they've been skewing Black and the deck really wants access to three colored sources for Pyromancer + spell or cantrip + Pierce/Therapy + Deathrite activation

Thread Information