Page 4 of 83 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Grixis Tempo

MTGO Name: Adelorenzi
    Mar 2009

Re: [DTB] Grixis Tempo

This advice may seem too generic, but the best ways to beat us are getting batterskull in play (we have very few answers once this hits the table), playing around Daze/fetching basic lands when you can, and post board -1/-1 effects are rough for us. Lingering souls is already great against delver, and supreme verdict is really powerful too. You can board out Jace TMS and Council's Judgment for cheaper answers. Rest in Peace is also worth its salt in this matchup. Be prepared to deal with Sulfuric Vortex post board.

Sep 2015
    Shit-hole LA

Hey guys I'm a little new to legacy and this forum. Hoping to get some help

I'm playing bob Huangs list minus a cabal and adding a dark blast for mirror in the board

I know merfolk is a hard match up even with 3 pyro blast post board how should I board and how can I beat a turn one challace. I have been thinking of adding abrupt decay in the board.

In addition I play in a small town we all know each other's decks field composed of 3-4 miracles 3-4 delver decks one omni show and merfolk that just kill all our blue decks, one mud pilot,then random jank decks. What should a board look like for this type of meta

Mar 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Jo4source View Post
    Hey guys I'm a little new to legacy and this forum. Hoping to get some help

I'm playing bob Huangs list minus a cabal and adding a dark blast for mirror in the board

I know merfolk is a hard match up even with 3 pyro blast post board how should I board and how can I beat a turn one challace. I have been thinking of adding abrupt decay in the board.

In addition I play in a small town we all know each other's decks field composed of 3-4 miracles 3-4 delver decks one omni show and merfolk that just kill all our blue decks, one mud pilot,then random jank decks. What should a board look like for this type of meta
    Merfolk is pretty tough. They shouldn't be able to chalice you turn 1 though unless their build is really unconventional. I would just bring in some number of pyroblasts and ancient grudge. Try to focus on killing their lords. If you want to go really deep here you could play rending volley in your board. I might even go up to 4 pyroblasts in your board, your meta is pretty blue.

Apr 2012
    New York

Quote Originally Posted by ironclad8690 View Post
    This advice may seem too generic, but the best ways to beat us are getting batterskull in play (we have very few answers once this hits the table), playing around Daze/fetching basic lands when you can, and post board -1/-1 effects are rough for us. Lingering souls is already great against delver, and supreme verdict is really powerful too. You can board out Jace TMS and Council's Judgment for cheaper answers. Rest in Peace is also worth its salt in this matchup. Be prepared to deal with Sulfuric Vortex post board.
    It is a tad generic, but it's a stable strategy. Batterskull is pretty great vs. Delver strategies. One of the issues in this matchups is how many angles Grixis can attack from, but it is still a Delver deck, in the end.

Thanks man!

Sep 2015
    Shit-hole LA

hey how do you guys and or girls think about having 1-2engineered plague in the board. i was thinking for a solution for merfolk but it should not be half bad for miracles naming monk?

I think engineered explosives is better on both counts.

From my phone. I do my best, dammit!

Oct 2010
    Bergen County - NJ

Played in local tournament, Logan Mize's 75 went 4-0, split top 8 beat...

Round 1 Esper Mentor 2:0//2-0
    Game 1: Delver +DRS + wasteland is a win
    Game 2: DRS + Gurmag + opponent bricking on lands after fetching a basic

Round 2 Infect 2:0//4-0
    Game 1: 1 Bolt his Glistener Elf Waste his Inkmoth + Gurmag and DRS is a win
    Game 2: Fetches a basic forest plays around wasteland again sees all blue cards bolt his Glistener Elf and kill him with Delver

Round 3 Mentor Miracles 2:1//6-1
    Game 1: Quick Delver flip protect the queen till STP counter war loss followed by 2 DRS who get there
    Game 2: Stops my threats casts 2 Mentors after we one for one each other he overwhelms me.
    Game 3: Delver gets him low have 2 DRS in play. Get to turns he's at 6 on his last turn I have 2 DRS plus vortex he finds 2 STP get him down to 2, he concedes since he would be dead on upkeep

Round 4 Burn 2:0 8-1
    Game 1: Delver + Daze + Force + Bolt (kills my delver play a DRS + Angler) = win
    Game 2: DRS + Delver + opponent is flooded + he oversideboarded ( too many blasts + gravehate; thinks I'm on 4c Delver aka Goyf hate) = Win

Props
    -DRS
    -Bolt
    -Force
    -Sulfuric Vortex//My Miracle opponent being sensible and giving me the "turn 6 vortex" win.

Slops
    -Playing no Pyromancers
    -True-Name not doing anything in the fair matches
    - Forgetting Delver trigger; though it didn't cost me a game

Top 4 split as we were tired I would have faced MUD, friend I bring with me, and Infect or Burn; the players I beat in the swiss. We were all tired and wanted to go home.

I really like this deck, it's my second tournament with it and I feel really comfortable piloting it. I felt I had game against every deck I faced and I wasn't worried about any match ups, except maybe lands. I may change the SB -1 Surgical +1 Grafdiggers Cage, but I am not sure more testing needed.

What is my best strategy against mud with this deck?

Mar 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    What is my best strategy against mud with this deck?

It is a pretty polarizing matchup: either you get completely locked out by chalice and/or and crushed by lifelink from wurmcoil and/or get blightsteel'ed/ugined, or you manage to counter/destroy their early metalworkers and wasteland them enough to prevent them from playing anything 5+ mana.

In my experience they can't really play around daze unless they get a lucky cavern of souls opening, and you can mostly daze their early relevant cards.

Postboard Ancient Grudge is pretty nuts, and dismember does a bit of work. Sulfuric Vortex is decent but I could see not boarding it in, and also Pithing Needle can be a life saver against Kudoltha Forgemaster.

Sep 2015
    Shit-hole LA

dose any one think there should be 3-4 digs in the deck?

Mar 2009

You can do it, but I certainly don't think you can also play angler, and I really think angler is quite good in here.

Went 3-0 in my weekly tournament beating pox, infect, and uwr blade. Infect was the only close match, if he had 1 more pump spell or counterspell he would have won. Pox just isnt good vs Young Pyromancer, and the blade deck got mana screwed game 1 and sulfuric vortexed game 2.

Aug 2015
    Norcal

I just lost to an omnitell deck after resolving a surgical for SnT.

What the hell, that deck is broken. I'm switching if DTT isn't banned. No skill, free win deck.

Soulless Eldrazi Player
    Aug 2015
    Special place in Hell

Quote Originally Posted by Jaytron View Post
    I just lost to an omnitell deck after resolving a surgical for SnT.

What the hell, that deck is broken. I'm switching if DTT isn't banned. No skill, free win deck.
    I believe that's what we call "snatching defeat from the jaws of victory."

Seriously, gonna need more details on how they beat you. Useful information for sideboarding plans for them.
    Roses are colorless.
    Violets are colorless.
    Everything is nothing.

Aug 2015
    Norcal

Quote Originally Posted by Delvis View Post
    I believe that's what we call "snatching defeat from the jaws of victory."

Seriously, gonna need more details on how they beat you. Useful information for sideboarding plans for them.
    Wish'd for Through the Breach. Bosei on board and I couldn't find a Wasteland. I didn't over extend into Pyroclasm, holding back a vclique and peezy (which was good, because he eventually pyroclasm'd). But uncounterable spells are uncounterable. He won the turn before he would have died. Epic finding of Emrakul, because he didn't have it the turn before when I Cliqued him.

Bosei is being run main, he brings in a 2nd one post board.

Let me know if you need anymore info. I think the big thing is that he was running through the breach in SB, which doesn't seem super common.

Oct 2010
    Bergen County - NJ

Wish'd for Through the Breach. Bosei on board and I couldn't find a Wasteland. I didn't over extend into Pyroclasm, holding back a vclique and peezy (which was good, because he eventually pyroclasm'd). But uncounterable spells are uncounterable. He won the turn before he would have died. Epic finding of Emrakul, because he didn't have it the turn before when I Cliqued him.

Bosei is being run main, he brings in a 2nd one post board.

Let me know if you need anymore info. I think the big thing is that he was running through the breach in SB, which doesn't seem super common.
    That's just what combo decks do sometimes, rip the nuts. As a former ANT/TES/Sneak and Show player myself, I hedged on getting lucky better than playing well, though playing well+lucky is probably what your opponent had going on for him.

Apr 2011
    the Netherlands

This is superrrr common

Aug 2015
    Norcal

Quote Originally Posted by Lans89 View Post
    This is superrrr common
    New to my playtesting buddy's SB. I haven't seen or lost to it in the past.

Feb 2015
    SF, CA (via London, UK)

Has anyone being trying Stifle? Perhaps in the Daze slot?

Not in Grixis but I have been playing a deck with 4 Wasteland, 4 Stifle, 4 Deathrite, 4 Delver 4 Pyromancer and 4 Stone Rain and it worked quite fine.

Greedy mana base are so fun to disrupt and Shaman allows you to play Blood Moon also with 1 single Island on the board

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

Quote Originally Posted by Poron View Post
    Not in Grixis but I have been playing a deck with 4 Wasteland, 4 Stifle, 4 Deathrite, 4 Delver 4 Pyromancer and 4 Stone Rain and it worked quite fine.

Greedy mana base are so fun to disrupt and Shaman allows you to play Blood Moon also with 1 single Island on the board
    The old DRS - Island combo, love it. And surely there are better cards to play than Stone Rain!? If you're playing B for DRS, why not Sinkhole?
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

Thread Information