Page 6 of 83 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Grixis Tempo

MTGO Name: Adelorenzi
    Mar 2009

Re: [DTB] Grixis Tempo

I thought I would share something interesting that happened to me in a Daily Event today.

I am playing the mirror match, and I easily win game 1. I do not usually board in Cabal Therapy in this matchup. My opponent does bring em in, and he completely shreds me to bits in games 2 and 3. Now, he did draw pretty well, but do you guys generally bring in Cabal Therapy in the mirror match?

I messaged him about it after the match and he said he was new to the deck and it seemed good, so I dunno.

Actually we want to bring in some copies of Cabal Therapy against Combo & Control right?
    Let's say we are playing against Storm, SnT, Elves as Combo and Miracles, Stoneblade as Control - what do you take out? (with Bob Huangs basic list)

Or do we also bring them in against some Aggro Decks?

Site Contributor

Jun 2013
    Philadelphia, PA

I board my Therapies in all the time (at least going up to 2 on the play postboard, and almost always up to 4 on the draw) and I'm maindecking one. They're great in the mirror. Really, it's hard to find a matchup other than Lands where they're bad.

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

They're so good in conjunction with Probe and Pyromancer that it's hard to find a matchup they're bad in. I board them in almost all the time once I know what my opponent is on. If you're in a live setting and have time to scout, you could make a better case for playing them main, but online it's definitely harder (if not impossible) to put your opponent on a specific deck in the first turn.

I main them in Grixis Control, where we have more time to wait for the right moment, but in Tempo I think we want every single card we draw early to matter. Any mana we don't spend is a waste and sitting on a Therapy with no reasonable expectation of what to call blind is a loss of tempo.

I really don't know what the best cards to take out are. I usually take out some number of FOWs unless I'm against hard combo, and I play a Stifle build, so they come out sometimes too. Then Bolts, maybe a Probe or DRS, depending on the matchup. I need to remember Wasteland can be boarded out too.

Mar 2009

Cool, thanks for the tips. I find that too often I treat Cabal Therapy like Thoughtseize, but it is a different beast altogether.

Aug 2015
    Norcal

Quote Originally Posted by ironclad8690 View Post
    Cool, thanks for the tips. I find that too often I treat Cabal Therapy like Thoughtseize, but it is a different beast altogether.
    It's a very difficult card to play with. It almost needs it's own primer/thread to talk about it. The card only becomes more powerful with meta knowledge.

What's the best to name blind in the mirror? I guess you name Pyromancer on the draw, and delver on the play?
    Last edited by Jaytron; 09-24-2015 at 03:36 PM.

hello guys. had some strange games against pox yesterday. seems I don't have enough counter to stop the hate :( ..
    what do u think abt the match up in general, any suggestions/tips how to handle?

Mar 2009

You should have a decent game against pox because they can't really afford to play around your Dazes. Save FOW for their haymaker spells like Smallpox. Young Pyromancer is MVP because most of the Pox removal only kills 1 creature at a time and usually you are the one who gets to pick which creature is sacrificed. Postboard you will likely want to board out bolts and bring in some cabal therapy as well as surgical extraction because they usually have some sort of recursion engine. Pithing needle shuts off Liliana as well as Cursed Scroll.

You should have a decent game against pox because they can't really afford to play around your Dazes. Save FOW for their haymaker spells like Smallpox. Young Pyromancer is MVP because most of the Pox removal only kills 1 creature at a time and usually you are the one who gets to pick which creature is sacrificed. Postboard you will likely want to board out bolts and bring in some cabal therapy as well as surgical extraction because they usually have some sort of recursion engine. Pithing needle shuts off Liliana as well as Cursed Scroll.
    I boarded + 2x smash to smitherness and + 2x needle, - 4 bolts.
    I play 2x cabal therapy main.

maybe I didn't play smart but I have the feeling that I have to counter hymn, toxic deluge and small pox.
    basically 10-12 cards against 10 counters plus 2x cabal.

I will definetely try surgical seems a pretty decent card against them. thanks.

did anyone of you try to replace black by white and add monastery mentor?

3x daze
    4x force
    2x spell pierce
    1x counterspell
    4x brainstorm
    4x bolt
    3x swords to plow

4x ponder
    2x dtt
    4x gitaxian probe

4x pyromancer
    3x monastery mentor
    4x delver

18x lands

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Quote Originally Posted by cherson View Post
    did anyone of you try to replace black by white and add monastery mentor?

3x daze
    4x force
    2x spell pierce
    1x counterspell
    4x brainstorm
    4x bolt
    3x swords to plow

4x ponder
    2x dtt
    4x gitaxian probe

4x pyromancer
    3x monastery mentor
    4x delver

18x lands
    This would be a different deck. http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...eck-UWR-Delver

Quote Originally Posted by jrsthethird View Post
    why? uwr delver is a different deck in my opinion. they play stoneforge mystic / batterskull etc and don't play monastery mentor.

Quote Originally Posted by cherson View Post
    why? uwr delver is a different deck in my opinion. they play stoneforge mystic / batterskull etc and don't play monastery mentor.
    It is uwr and it plays a delver tempo game. I can't see how it is anything else other than uwr delver. Swapping the white threat doesn't make it a new deck. Regardless, a grixis thread is not the right place for that list.

well, apologize if it does not fit and the idea is completely unfounded to be discussed.
    I checked the forum and just found a modern thread. that is why I posted same here.

Mar 2009

Well, now that Dig Through Time is banned, I don't know if this deck is good enough anymore. Anyone have any ideas for a new list?

EDIT: I did a little research and it looks like pre-khans decklists looked like this:

Grixis Delver - Will Cruise SCG Invi (featured in this video, and crushing Reid Duke)

1 Snapcaster Mage
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Young Pyromancer

4 Brainstorm
    4 Daze
    4 Force of Will
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Stifle
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Ponder

2 Tropical Island
    2 Underground Sea
    3 Volcanic Island
    4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Scalding Tarn
    4 Wasteland

Sideboard:
    1 Snapcaster Mage
    1 Seal of Primordium
    1 Threads of Disloyalty
    1 Abrupt Decay
    2 Ancient Grudge
    2 Red Elemental Blast
    1 Surgical Extraction
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Vendilion Clique
    4 Cabal Therapy

I bet we can work Angler in here because he is still quite strong and go down to 18 lands. I think it might need a little more removal though. Some lists were playing Fire Covenant & Fire/Ice before, but I am not sure if those are better than Murderous Cut.

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

See ya guys later.

is this deck dead? I was just starting pimpin it out :(

Quote Originally Posted by janluis1 View Post
    is this deck dead? I was just starting pimpin it out :(
    I wouldn't trust Kobe on anything. But it doesn't look good, I'm afraid.

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Bragi View Post
    I wouldn't trust Kobe on anything. But it doesn't look good, I'm afraid.
    So you do trust what i'm saying.

Well, now that Dig Through Time is banned, I don't know if this deck is good enough anymore. Anyone have any ideas for a new list?

EDIT: I did a little research and it looks like pre-khans decklists looked like this:

Grixis Delver - Will Cruise SCG Invi (featured in this video, and crushing Reid Duke)

1 Snapcaster Mage
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Young Pyromancer

4 Brainstorm
    4 Daze
    4 Force of Will
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Stifle
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Ponder

2 Tropical Island
    2 Underground Sea
    3 Volcanic Island
    4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Scalding Tarn
    4 Wasteland

Sideboard:
    1 Snapcaster Mage
    1 Seal of Primordium
    1 Threads of Disloyalty
    1 Abrupt Decay
    2 Ancient Grudge
    2 Red Elemental Blast
    1 Surgical Extraction
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Vendilion Clique
    4 Cabal Therapy

I bet we can work Angler in here because he is still quite strong and go down to 18 lands. I think it might need a little more removal though. Some lists were playing Fire Covenant & Fire/Ice before, but I am not sure if those are better than Murderous Cut.

awesome second game. the therapies..
    concerning removal, why not playing terminate?

Thread Information