Page 7 of 83 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Grixis Tempo

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Re: [DTB] Grixis Tempo

Quote Originally Posted by KobeBryan View Post
    So you do trust what i'm saying.
    Grixis Delver has lived and will live the same life as UR Delver. Viable before. Viable after. But only a true powerhouse during.

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Deck did fine frequently running only 2 Digs. Draw them early and they're Force fuel anyway. I think it makes space for a couple JVPs or Snaps.

Aug 2015
    Norcal

I'm sure we can accept that Grixis Delver will not be a top contender anymore. What delver deck takes the crown now? BUG or RUG?

MTGO Name: Adelorenzi
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Jaytron View Post
    I'm sure we can accept that Grixis Delver will not be a top contender anymore. What delver deck takes the crown now? BUG or RUG?
    I am 100% sure BUG will become the top dog again. We will see how the format reacts. I am almost tempted to jump back on the Jund train myself.

I think I will be testing Painful Truths as a replacement for Dig Through Time/Treasure Cruise. The casting cost is pretty rough for sorcery speed card draw though.

The. Why not just use last whisper? Cost less for 1 less card. Or even sign in blood as a possible shock when thier <3

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Oct 2010
    Bergen County - NJ

I don't think that is the direction you want to go towards as a tempo deck. I myself am leaning towards something like

3 Young Pyromancer
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Delver of Secrets
    1 True-Name Nemesis
    2 Gurmag Angler

4 Force of Will
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Daze
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Ponder
    4 Stifle

4 Wasteland
    4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Tropical Island
    2 Underground Sea
    3 Volcanic Island

Sideboard
    2 Abrupt Decay
    1 Ancient Grudge
    4 Cabal Therapy
    1 Dread of Night
    1 Forked Bolt
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Pyroblast
    1 Red Elemental Blast
    1 Sulfuric Vortex
    1 Vendilion Clique

This is a take on Will Cruise's 4c Delver list that he took to the top 8 of an Invitational in June of of 2014. It stream lines the mana denial plan game one with the full stifle package and plays out very similar to RUG Delver. Post board you have decays for Miracles//Tarmogoyf decks. Therapies for combo decks. Needle good for Miracles//Elves//Sneak Attack decks. Grudge for artifacts and equipment. Forked bolt for Elves//DnT. Pyroblast and REB for Miracles//Combo. Vortex for Miracles//Lands. Gravedigger's for Elves and GY decks. Dread for DnT. Clique for combo and grind matches. I'm excited about the stifle package game 1 and am looking forward to test this list out.
    Last edited by Darkness; 09-30-2015 at 09:02 AM.

Soulless Eldrazi Player
    Aug 2015
    Special place in Hell

Thinking about taking this list to a midsize local tomorrow:

4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Monastery Swiftspear
    3 Young Pyromancer
    2 Dark Confidant
    1 True-Name Nemesis

4 Force of Will
    4 Daze
    4 Stifle
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Lightning Bolt

4 Scalding Tarn
    4 Polluted Delta
    2 Volcanic Island
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Badlands
    1 Tropical Island
    4 Wasteland

Sideboard (in progress, need input because I'm terrible at building these):
    4 Cabal Therapy
    2 Snapcaster Mage
    1 Surgical Extraction
    1 Relic of Progenitus
    1 Dread of Night
    1 Dispel
    1 Abrupt Decay
    1 Null Rod
    1 Forked Bolt
    1 Pyroblast
    1 Terminate

Really wanted to go full Prowess route and play Abbot of Keral Keep as well, but I'm not sold on it yet. I want to push tempo and aggression this week while peoples' control/midrange/combo decks struggle to adapt to life without Dig.

There's a long chain of logic behind Swiftspear over Delver. Essentially, Bob replacing Dig makes me want to not play Delve spells. But I still need a Decay-immune threat, so I go back to the old faithful TNN. But that makes my creature base (which now includes Bobs) full of X/1s. Delver, as a 1/1 that dies to basically every removal spell played in the format right now, contributes to this overall weakness of the creature base. Swiftspear dodges all sorts of removal that normally targets a Delver: Forked Bolt, Disfigure, even Pyroblast, and can dodge Lightning Bolt with a little bit of effort. Swiftspear is also better against Blood Moon and is a better overall topdeck.

I really like Prowess with Therapy+Pyromancer, too, which is why I didn't cut Pyro for Abbot.

If I did play Abbot, I would likely cut the Stifles and 1 Pyro and play 3 Abbots and 2 Therapies main. I would also need to probably cut Dazes for discard because counters are terrible with Abbot. I'd love to hear input on this as well.

It's difficult to make these adjustments, but I don't have the collection flexibility right now to play a different deck. Any input would be appreciated, as I don't really have much time to test this out.
    Roses are colorless.
    Violets are colorless.
    Everything is nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Delvis View Post
    Swiftspear dodges all sorts of removal that normally targets a Delver: Forked Bolt, Disfigure, even Pyroblast, and can dodge Lightning Bolt with a little bit of effort. Swiftspear is also better against Blood Moon and is a better overall topdeck.
    Nice list, but how, exactly does swiftspear dodge forked bolt and disfigure?
    Quote Originally Posted by SaberTooth View Post
    if brainstorm is banned, legacy will lost his heart

Quote Originally Posted by Star|Scream View Post
    I'm going with prowess.

Soulless Eldrazi Player
    Aug 2015
    Special place in Hell

Quote Originally Posted by Star|Scream View Post
    Alix has it right, it's the Prowess. Being able to counter Disfigure or Forked Bolt just by Brainstorming or Bolting them is gross, and even the threat of doing so by leaving up a blue or red mana is often enough to get them to hold off.

Daze, which normally matches up poorly against these types of cheap removal, would also protect Swiftspear in this scenario.
    Roses are colorless.
    Violets are colorless.
    Everything is nothing.

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Delvis View Post
    Really wanted to go full Prowess route and play Abbot of Keral Keep as well, but I'm not sold on it yet. I want to push tempo and aggression this week while peoples' control/midrange/combo decks struggle to adapt to life without Dig.
    I've been thinking about a similar list post-DTT, using Abbot with Bob. Let me know how this goes.

Soulless Eldrazi Player
    Aug 2015
    Special place in Hell

Quote Originally Posted by jrsthethird View Post
    I've been thinking about a similar list post-DTT, using Abbot with Bob. Let me know how this goes.
    I didn't have enough Bobs to play that list, but Abbot worked pretty well. I thought it'd be a larger tournament but we only got 15, so it was a cut to Top 4. I punted my Top 4 match to Maverick because it's been forever and a day since I've seen anyone play that deck, but, hey, it's a brand new meta now.

I'll write up a quick report and link it back here.

Edit: Here's the report: http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...-Grixis-Delver
    Last edited by Delvis; 10-04-2015 at 12:03 PM. Reason: adding link
    Roses are colorless.
    Violets are colorless.
    Everything is nothing.

Aug 2015
    Norcal

What do you think about this list, first post DTT and Grixis Delver puts 2 decks int he top 32. Very different, but here's the one that got 4th.

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...p?DeckID=92456

Takes some basics, to play around WL a little bit, and Blood Moon. TNN takes the place of Dig.

No trop though, so that means no Ancient Grudge in the SB, and 2x Smash to Smithereens instead.

Looks pretty cool.

MTGO Name: Adelorenzi
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Jaytron View Post
    What do you think about this list, first post DTT and Grixis Delver puts 2 decks int he top 32. Very different, but here's the one that got 4th.

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...p?DeckID=92456

Takes some basics, to play around WL a little bit, and Blood Moon. TNN takes the place of Dig.

No trop though, so that means no Ancient Grudge in the SB, and 2x Smash to Smithereens instead.

Looks pretty cool.
    Reminds me of modern UR, but on steroids.

I like the idea adding basics but I don't like the idea of playin without WL.
    in this particular case u cld add 3 x WL and cut two islands / bloodstained.

4 snapcaster are interesting, never played one before. for the time being I added 2 tnn i/o dtt.

I've played this list with succes for a while and changed the following:

Creatures:
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Delver of Secrets
    2 Gurmag Angler
    1 True-Name Nemesis>> now 1 Vendilion Clique

Spells:
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Daze
    4 Force of Will
    4 Stifle
    3 Spell Pierce
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    2 Gitaxian Probe
    2 Dig Through Time>> now 1 Gurmag Angler 1 Gitaxian Probe

Lands:
    4 Wasteland
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Scalding Tarn
    2 Underground Sea
    2 Volcanic Island
    1 Badlands
    1 Tropical Island

/Sideboard:
    1 Grafdigger’s Cage
    1 Null Rod
    1 True-Name Nemesis
    1 Surgical Extraction
    1 Ancient Grudge
    1 Dead // Gone
    1 Electrickery>> now Pithing Needle
    2 Pyroblast
    1 Dispel>> now Mana Maze
    1 Submerge
    2 Abrupt Decay
    1 Dimir Charm
    1 Terminate

Basicly, with the ban of DTT I'm switching up -2 Dig Through Time , -1 True-Name Nemesis , +1 Gurmag Angler , +1 Gitaxian Probe , +1 Vendilion Clique.
    For the sideboard switching Electrickery for Pithing Needle. (already swapped the single Dispel for Mana Maze a little while back).
    Expecting more Sneak&Show and ANT again and less Pyromancers in the local meta.
    If it turns out to be more BUG or RUG or other tempo decks, I'll proberly be adding the second TNN somewhere back in the list again.

The list plays alot like RUG, but with a bit more controlling options by having Deathrite Shamans and black in the sideboard.

May 2014
    Brazil

I'm gonna try Dylan Donnegan's stock list with +1 murderous cut +1 spell pierce to replace the missed DTTs
    Kamus

Legacy Decks: Grixis Delver, Canadian Threshold, Patriot, UR Delver, Team America, Shardless BUG, Junk, Miracles, Jeskai Stoneblade, Esper Stoneblade, Deathblade, Bant, Grixis Control, ANT, Reanimator, Sneak & Show, Infect, Food Chain
    Modern Decks: Infect, UR Delver, Grixis Delver, Jeskai Geist, Jund, Abzan, Blue Moon, Grixis Control, Esper Control, RUG Control, BUG Control, Jeskai Nahiri

Oct 2010
    Bergen County - NJ

Quote Originally Posted by Kamus View Post
    I'm gonna try Dylan Donnegan's stock list with +1 murderous cut +1 spell pierce to replace the missed DTTs
    This is the exact solution I had to the banning of DTT for the MD. I did change the sideboard to include +2 Abrupt Decay +1 Sylvan Library, to combat the Grindy MU.

did u ever try Ancestral Vision ?
    I am not sure if it fits in a tempo deck..

Thread Information