Page 37 of 83 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Grixis Tempo

Re: [DTB] Grixis Tempo

If one is in the business of a 4 mana nonblue Planeswalker against Miracles, I think the top picks are Garruk Relentless and Xenagos the Reveler.

Quote Originally Posted by Lormador View Post
    If one is in the business of a 4 mana nonblue Planeswalker against Miracles, I think the top picks are Garruk Relentless and Xenagos the Reveler.
    Well, the advantage with Koth would be that he reaches his ultimate quickly, the ultimate is relevant, you can cast him through Blood Moon and the opponent can hardly race him with e.g. Snapcaster Mage (he would take 12 damage before he could kill the Koth). Also Terminus on the Mountain would only put it back into the deck
    These other planeswalkers don't really demand an immediate answer in my eyes.

Still, as I said Winter Orb just seems way better because of Lands.

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Tibalt fits better with our curve tho.

Hello,
    Can you guys tell me what kind of meta rhis dexk eants to be in? To give you an example of that im playing against here is my 9 man tourny that went off today.
    3 infect (could easily be 4 but my friend was a no show)
    1 d&t
    1 junk deathblade
    1 brew (like red blue flyers...looked like jank)
    1 burn
    1 manaless dredge
    Shardless(me)

I also play against r/u delver.....woukd this deck be good in the meta?

MTGO Name: Adelorenzi
    Mar 2009

Death and Taxes and Burn can be a little tough (D&T moreso in my opinion) but everything else is at least close to 50/50. Daze is great in a lot of those matchups.

D&T weakness can be mitigated by running Dread of Night in the board, and you could even pay Chill for Burn. Infect is already fine, but you could play Forked Bolt in your 75 to make it better, and Baleful Strix is also quite good against them.

u/r fliers sounds janky and I wouldn't worry about it, though Delver sometimes does have a notorious habit of losing to standard decks (more BUG and RUG Delver though).

I would recommend playing both Grim Lavamancer and Darkblast in your sb, they're all great against Infect, D&T and Junk Deathblade (if he's playing Mother of Runes, Thalia, Dark Confidant etc.).

Mar 2009

My buddy JPA 5-0'd with an interesting take on Grixis:

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/439087#online

He really takes the midrange factor to an extreme with TNN and 6 removal spells.

I think next time on my stream I will try Agrippa's list, and then I will try JPA's list after that. I should be streaming again Tuesday morning, stuff has been hectic for me for the 4th of July weekend.

Jun 2016
    Chicago

When I saw the new Lili spoiler, I immediately thought that it may have some play in Delver decks, at least in the sideboard:

Any thoughts? The +1 is like a Darkblast on a Planeswalker stick and the -2 returns a creature in grindy matchups and fuels delve. Could see this being useful in Delver mirror matches, vs. Death & Taxes, etc.

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

She's not what this deck wants. Maybe in BUG, but not Grixis.
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    She's not what this deck wants. Maybe in BUG, but not Grixis.
    I agree, she doesn't seem to support any of our gameplans (aggro and land destruction/discard). Most important question would also be: In which shell is she better than Liliana of the Veil?

Sticking one of these would be a win in the mirror. You can Darkblast opposing Delvers and Pyros and then get your own dudes back. It's probably not powerful enough for Legacy, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Arschmann View Post
    Sticking one of these would be a win in the mirror. You can Darkblast opposing Delvers and Pyros and then get your own dudes back. It's probably not powerful enough for Legacy, though.
    In the mirror the effect might be good, but generally speaking the -2 of Liliana of the veil is just way more powerful against Tarmogoyfs, Delvers, DRS, SFMs etc.
    Also BB seems reeeeally sketchy on our manabase. If it wasn't I would definitely play Marsh Casualties in the sideboard!

Hey guys, been going 3-2 with the deck a lot. It's hard to pilot and I feel I need to get better.

I'm playing latest noah walker list and I was wondering what do you guys do v/s Storm? (not ANT, but the one with the red Yawgmoth's Will and usually goblin trenches / tendrils )

Can you give us a list of your sideboard? Noah Walker's has changed a bit these days an we don't know which one you're referring to.

About the storm decks:
    Both storm decks, TES (The Epic Storm) and ANT (Ad Nauseam Tendrils) do similar things and their titles can be really misleading (starting e.g. with the fact that TES is a way better Ad Nauseam deck than ANT).
    TES is the more explosive one with Rite of Flame and Burning Wish in the mainboard and Past in Flames in the sb. It very often wins on turn 1 and 2 and goes for Empty the Warrens faster than its slower counterpart.
    ANT is more opted to grind, but is by now means slow. It also can win on turn 1, but it's less likely (I'd guess like 10% of the games). It grinds with mainboard Past in Flames and has Cabal Rituals which give them a lot of mana in the late game.

That said we board against both decks very similar:

Vendilion Clique in the mainboard is of course way better against combo than the True Name Nemesis (which is better against fair decks), this choice depends on your meta though.

Cabal Therapies come in. If you're naming blind you should name Infernal Tutor, Dark Ritual or Lion's Eye Diamond. Be careful though if they have Brainstorm mana and you can't cast it: they can just brainstorm in response to you flashing it back and render your information about their hand useless. You should generally sacrifice a creature you have in abundance to get combo pieces (either enabler like PiF, Tutor or Tendrils or Rituals and LEDs). You can wait a turn though if you know they cannot possibly go off through your countermagic next turn. This demands a little bit of experience though.

Flusterstorm and Invasive Surgeries are there to counter their big spells (similar to how you use FoW): Those are Infernal Tutor, Burning Wish and Past in Flames most importantly. Together with other soft counters like Daze and Spell Pierce you can also go for their mana though. Otherwise they can just cast rituals in response to pay for your flusterstorms.

Surgical Extraction is a really good one, it's also the most likely one to be misused though because you can really cast it any time and it's very possible you choose the wrong time. In my experience it's only worth firing off in 3 scenarios:
    1. They go for PiF:
    Here you can either go for their rituals or for their tutors (infernal and wish) in the gy, whichever they have fewest. You therefore make the PiF combo useless, they only sometimes can get away with using their blue cantrips in the gy to find action. This works especially good in conjunction with Deathrite Shaman.
    2. You see card in their hand (with Clique, Probe, Therapy) and they have the same card in their graveyard:
    In this case you can "thoughtseize" the card away. That's only a good idea though if this card is important to them and not if it's expandable (e.g. because they already have enough rituals and tutors in which case you should safe it for PiF).
    3. They brainstorm in response to your Cabal Therapy:
    The most underused function imo. Here they hide cards with Brainstorm on top of their library and make former informations about their hand useless because we don't know which cards they kept. With Cabal Therapy (on really anything honestly, preferrably though a tutor or a ritual) we not only shuffle their deck (thus the cards they hid on top of it), but also get to look at their hand before our Cabal Therapy resolves and can name exactly what we want.

Pyroblast is debatable, I see people bringing in either all of them or none at all. I prefer 1 to trade for cantrips, you don't want more imo because it doesn't pitch to FoW and doesn't actually prevent their combo because it nor counters rituals nor tutors.

Pithing Needle is useless because Flashback from PiF isn't an activated ability and Lotus Petal and LED are mana abilities (which Needle doesn't stop).
    Null Rod would be a good card to stop LED and Petal, it's not a card we generally play though.

Grafdigger's cage is a card you shouldn't play in your SB because it shuts off your own flashback on Cabal Therapy.

We board out 2 Anglers (too slow, we don't need that many threats because storm hardly plays removal) and as many removal as possible, starting with the non-lightning-bolt ones. You can keep in 1-2 bolts against the occasional Dark Confidant/Xantid Swarm, these cards get hardly played though and also aren't particularly good against Grixis though. In that case we just bolt them end of turn and hopefully end the game a turn sooner than they expect.

Quote Originally Posted by Agrippa91 View Post
    Can you give us a list of your sideboard? Noah Walker's has changed a bit these days an we don't know which one you're referring to.

About the storm decks:
    Both storm decks, TES (The Epic Storm) and ANT (Ad Nauseam Tendrils) do similar things and their titles can be really misleading (starting e.g. with the fact that TES is a way better Ad Nauseam deck than ANT).
    TES is the more explosive one with Rite of Flame and Burning Wish in the mainboard and Past in Flames in the sb. It very often wins on turn 1 and 2 and goes for Empty the Warrens faster than its slower counterpart.
    ANT is more opted to grind, but is by now means slow. It also can win on turn 1, but it's less likely (I'd guess like 10% of the games). It grinds with mainboard Past in Flames and has Cabal Rituals which give them a lot of mana in the late game.

That said we board against both decks very similar:

Vendilion Clique in the mainboard is of course way better against combo than the True Name Nemesis (which is better against fair decks), this choice depends on your meta though.

Cabal Therapies come in. If you're naming blind you should name Infernal Tutor, Dark Ritual or Lion's Eye Diamond. Be careful though if they have Brainstorm mana and you can't cast it: they can just brainstorm in response to you flashing it back and render your information about their hand useless. You should generally sacrifice a creature you have in abundance to get combo pieces (either enabler like PiF, Tutor or Tendrils or Rituals and LEDs). You can wait a turn though if you know they cannot possibly go off through your countermagic next turn. This demands a little bit of experience though.

Flusterstorm and Invasive Surgeries are there to counter their big spells (similar to how you use FoW): Those are Infernal Tutor, Burning Wish and Past in Flames most importantly. Together with other soft counters like Daze and Spell Pierce you can also go for their mana though. Otherwise they can just cast rituals in response to pay for your flusterstorms.

Surgical Extraction is a really good one, it's also the most likely one to be misused though because you can really cast it any time and it's very possible you choose the wrong time. In my experience it's only worth firing off in 3 scenarios:
    1. They go for PiF:
    Here you can either go for their rituals or for their tutors (infernal and wish) in the gy, whichever they have fewest. You therefore make the PiF combo useless, they only sometimes can get away with using their blue cantrips in the gy to find action. This works especially good in conjunction with Deathrite Shaman.
    2. You see card in their hand (with Clique, Probe, Therapy) and they have the same card in their graveyard:
    In this case you can "thoughtseize" the card away. That's only a good idea though if this card is important to them and not if it's expandable (e.g. because they already have enough rituals and tutors in which case you should safe it for PiF).
    3. They brainstorm in response to your Cabal Therapy:
    The most underused function imo. Here they hide cards with Brainstorm on top of their library and make former informations about their hand useless because we don't know which cards they kept. With Cabal Therapy (on really anything honestly, preferrably though a tutor or a ritual) we not only shuffle their deck (thus the cards they hid on top of it), but also get to look at their hand before our Cabal Therapy resolves and can name exactly what we want.

Pyroblast is debatable, I see people bringing in either all of them or none at all. I prefer 1 to trade for cantrips, you don't want more imo because it doesn't pitch to FoW and doesn't actually prevent their combo because it nor counters rituals nor tutors.

Pithing Needle is useless because Flashback from PiF isn't an activated ability and Lotus Petal and LED are mana abilities (which Needle doesn't stop).
    Null Rod would be a good card to stop LED and Petal, it's not a card we generally play though.

Grafdigger's cage is a card you shouldn't play in your SB because it shuts off your own flashback on Cabal Therapy.

We board out 2 Anglers (too slow, we don't need that many threats because storm hardly plays removal) and as many removal as possible, starting with the non-lightning-bolt ones. You can keep in 1-2 bolts against the occasional Dark Confidant/Xantid Swarm, these cards get hardly played though and also aren't particularly good against Grixis though. In that case we just bolt them end of turn and hopefully end the game a turn sooner than they expect.
    Thanks for such a detailed answer, it's exactly what I needed. Here's a link to my list:

Island
    2 Underground Sea
    3 Volcanic Island
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Wasteland
    1 Spell Pierce
    1 Dismember
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Force of Will
    4 Daze
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Cabal Therapy
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Ponder
    1 Vendilion Clique
    2 Gurmag Angler
    3 Young Pyromancer
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Delver of Secrets

Sideboard
    2 Winter Orb
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Painful Truths
    1 Ancient Grudge
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Pyroblast
    2 Baleful Strix
    2 Cabal Therapy
    1 dismember
    1 submerge

I removed forked bolt and darkblast in favor of dismember and submerge. I really like DB in the mirror though. Orbs are -in theory- good against miracles and definitely good against shardless BUG. I've resolved a needle on top and an orb to a miracles player to still loose being unable to apply enough pressure. The needle has been good against infect on inkmoth too, they can tutor the poison guy that kills an artifact with Zenith to deal with it though.

I've been thinking about Null Rod and the new Delirium sorcery counter a lot. I would also say in MTGO the decks to beat are Miracles, Storm, Eldrazi, BUG, Reanimator and Grixis Tempo. (Have seen lands only once so far in 4 leagues)

Any suggestions for the SB? Miracles is so hard, a Vortex could help maybe?

Mar 2009

Just went 5-0 in a league using this list:

BUG Control: 2-1
    Shardless: 2-0
    Manaless Dredge: 2-1
    Eldrazi: 2-1
    Omnisneak and Show: 2-1

I really like this list, and I conversed with JPA about it. He has replaced Invasive with Flusterstorm and taken out 1 Winter Orb for a Sulfur Elemental, so I am doing the same. I also cut 1 Ancient Grudge for 1 Pithing Needle.

Quote Originally Posted by ironclad8690 View Post
    Just went 5-0 in a league using this list:

BUG Control: 2-1
    Shardless: 2-0
    Manaless Dredge: 2-1
    Eldrazi: 2-1
    Omnisneak and Show: 2-1

I really like this list, and I conversed with JPA about it. He has replaced Invasive with Flusterstorm and taken out 1 Winter Orb for a Sulfur Elemental, so I am doing the same. I also cut 1 Ancient Grudge for 1 Pithing Needle.
    Sultur Elemental comes in against D&T? Haven't seen a lot of that online. Against miracles it can do a bit, but not more than Orb I guess.

Where do you bring in the fluster storms?

Will try your list.

Mar 2009

Quote Originally Posted by MoonDark View Post
    Sultur Elemental comes in against D&T? Haven't seen a lot of that online. Against miracles it can do a bit, but not more than Orb I guess.

Where do you bring in the fluster storms?

Will try your list.
    It is for Miracles mostly, because we have so few outs to a bunch of tokens, and as a threat to resolve under counterbalance. D&T and Maverick too.

Flusterstorm comes in in the mirror, Miracles, and all combo decks.

Quote Originally Posted by ironclad8690 View Post
    It is for Miracles mostly, because we have so few outs to a bunch of tokens, and as a threat to resolve under counterbalance. D&T and Maverick too.

Flusterstorm comes in in the mirror, Miracles, and all combo decks.
    What do you usually take out for flusterstorm v/s combo/miracles/mirror?

Since one's usually +2 Pyroblast against miracles / Mirror, right?

Mar 2009

My plan vs Miracles:

+2 Flusterstorm, +2 Pyroblast, +2 Painful Truths +1 Pithing Needle, +1 Winter Orb, +1 Sulfur Elemental, +1 Cabal Therapy

-4 Daze, -1 Wasteland, -2 Dismember, -2 Lightning Bolt, -1 Gitaxian Probe

My plan vs most combo:

+2 Flusterstorm, +1 Cabal Therapy, sometimes Surgical, Pyroblast, or Pithing Needle depending on the combo deck.
    -2 Dismember, -2 Angler, some number of Lightning Bolts (not all though, they help the clock a little).

My plan in mirror match:

+2 Flusterstorm, +1 Pyroblast, +2 Forked Bolt, +1 Fire Covenant
    -2 Cabal Therapy, -4 Force of Will

FoW is too costly imo.

Thread Information