Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Re: Discussion: Most/least skill-intense cards of the format

I was inspired by nedleeds.

Most skill-intensive card of the format: Skill Borrower
    Most overrated card: The Great Forest
    Most brainless card: Amnesia
    Most underrated card: Nath's Buffoon

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    Does being more or less "skill-intensive", make a card better or worse? More or less powerful?

What even defines "skill-intensive"? More possibly lines of play? More decisions invloved? More reliance on imperfect information? Does it take into context game state or the rest of the deck?

Or is this just another anti-blue circlejerk?
    A card's requirement of skill is a direct factor to the number of potential plays possible, of which only a limited number could be considered well played. Since Brainstorm has so many potential uses, beyond just drawing cards, you can hide something from a Duress, or put something in your hand back into you library for Natural Order, not to mention playing it in your main phase or not, I think it's correct to consider Brainstorm a "skill-intensive" card. While the difference between well played and not well played might not cost the game, watching players cast Brainstorm at the end of their opponent's turn, just because it's an instant, only to draw the card they just put back still hurts to watch.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    A card's requirement of skill is a direct factor to the number of potential plays possible, of which only a limited number could be considered well played. Since Brainstorm has so many potential uses, beyond just drawing cards, you can hide something from a Duress, or put something in your hand back into you library for Natural Order, not to mention playing it in your main phase or not, I think it's correct to consider Brainstorm a "skill-intensive" card. While the difference between well played and not well played might not cost the game, watching players cast Brainstorm at the end of their opponent's turn, just because it's an instant, only to draw the card they just put back still hurts to watch.
    I think that definition only works though when you also classify any choice as a play. A lot of people are naming Cabal Therapy and I think it's hard to argue that, just because it requires a very thorough knowledge of whatever the opponent is playing, along with some observations of the game state. Is every card in the Legacy pool a potential 'play' with Therapy? If so then things like Slaughter Games, Meddling Mage, and Pithing Needle are also hugely skill intensive. Maybe they are, I just think it's a silly discussion to have because it's all relative to game state. Hell, even fetchlands can have a ton of options given the right game state. Some with very negative outcomes.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Island Fish Jasconius.

That's all you need to know.

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    I think how easily you can screw yourself up should also be a factor. People typically say that Brainstorm offers so many choices and is easy to misplay. In some theoretical sense, that's true. The problem is that the "misplays" are still like 97% of the strength of the good ones. Contrast with something like Therapy or Ponder, where you can far more actively cast a BAD Therapy or Ponder. That those spells are Sorceries and have to be committed to is also worth consideration. It's far easier to screw up in a meaningful way if you have to make a choice with limited information. With Brainstorm, you don't necessarily have to and can leave up resources for later.

My picks:

Most skill-intensive card of the format: Cabal Therapy, Vines of Vastwood
    Card whose skill-intensiveness is overrated: Brainstorm
    Most brainless card: Show and Tell, Counterbalance
    Most underrated card in terms of required skill: Flickerwisp (with maybe Quirion Ranger and Wirewood Symbiote as runners up but I'm too used to playing them to gauge them properly)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

My choices:

Most skill-intensive card of the format: Gifts Ungiven and Doomsday, next card would be Lim Dul's Vault
    Card whose skill-intensiveness is overrated: Brainstorm
    Most brainless card: S&T and Counterbalance
    Most underrated card: Humility and LDV

Greetings,
    Kathal

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Most skill-intensive card of the format: Cabal Therapy
    Most overrated card: Force of Will
    Most brainless card: Terminus
    Most underrated card: Mox Diamond
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

WTP's Choice
    Aug 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    [B]
    Most overrated card: Force of Will
    At least one dude who knows that FoW is hardcore overrated too.
    WantToPonder
    former: Team SpasticalAction & Team RugStar Berlin
    Team MTG Berlin

Quote Originally Posted by guillemnicolau View Post
    Since the print of dark petition grim tutor hasn't seen play in legacy (not in competitive decks).
    Quote Originally Posted by THerzog41 View Post
    I believe Maverick is still the best deck in the format and definitely the most underrated deck in the format.
    The Dragonstorm
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...he-Dragonstorm

Most skill-intensive card of the format: Stifle, Cabal therapy
    Most overrated card: Counterbalance, Deathrite Shaman
    Most brainless card: True-name nemesis, probably show and tell
    Most underrated card: Sylvan Library, Mother of runes, Hymn to tourach

i would add 5th category

Meaningless: forcing land drops after 4 or 5 lands in play in brainstorm-nonmiracle.deck
    controls

Most skill-intensive card of the format: Brainstorm/Cabal
    Most overrated card:Top
    Most brainless card: Show
    Most underrated card: Fauna Shaman, Birthing Pod, Deed

The Agonistic Antagonist
    Mar 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Kathal View Post
    Most brainless card: S&T and Counterbalance
    Not necessarily. There are times where not revealing what you have on top is the correct play. Savvy opponents will cast a bait spell with a different CMC than their combo card to see what the top card is to check if the coast is clear for them to go off. Being able to see the cheese takes skill that few Miracles players have.

Stackbuilder

Mar 2012

Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Not necessarily. There are times where not revealing what you have on top is the correct play. Savvy opponents will cast a bait spell with a different CMC than their combo card to see what the top card is to check if the coast is clear for them to go off. Being able to see the cheese takes skill that few Miracles players have.
    So much skill indeed.

Jun 2010
    Central NY

Most skill-intensive card of the format: Doomsday - if you've ever played it at a GP, you'd know. My brain felt like Jello by the fifth round. I went for the Lab Maniac or Shelldock->Emrakul piles every time after that just to preserve my sanity.
    Most overrated card: Force of Will Brainstorm - They're not as important as some people think they are. You don't even have to be playing blue yourself to beat them. In no way, shape, or form does either of them need to be banned, but that's another discussion.
    Most brainless card: Terminus Show and Tell - "Herp derp, wipe your board. Herp derp, drop free bomb. Ermagherd I wins!" Picture Sloth from the Goonies for extra effect.
    Most underrated card: Misinformation Thought Scour - Take that, Brainstorm & Co.

Jan 2005
    I actually live in actual Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Most underrated card: Misinformation
    Dat RKF art.

Thread Information