Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *From Kyoto to Lille - GP 17th with ANT*

*From Kyoto to Lille - GP 17th with ANT*

Hey everyone,
    [IMG][/IMG]

Today I would like to talk about GP Lille, my beloved Storm deck and the Legacy metagame in 2015. For anyone who doesn't know me yet, my name is Kai Sawatari and I am from Japan. I'm a 23 year old half German / half Japanese who has lived in Germany for 18 years but is currently living in Tokyo, Japan to work at TokyoMTG.com. Legacy has been my favorite format for many years and after starting with decks like RUG Delver and Miracles, I finally got my hands on Ad Nauseam Tendrils – a complex storm combo deck. I immediately fell in love with it and although I had a hard time in the beginning, where everyone I faced crushed me, I put in practice and hard work to get better. After making Top4 at the Legacy Grand Prix Kyoto 2015 in a metagame full of Dig Through Time, I already knew that there were no other decks I wanted to bring to Lille more than Storm.
    I was fortunate enough at GP Lille to be interviewed, check it out:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/c...lle-2015-07-05

1. Legacy in 2015.
    After WotC banned Treasure Cruise in Legacy in January 2015, everyone knew that they needed to play the second best delve spell: Dig Through Time. This card pushes combo decks and control decks to a point that is really hard for Delver decks and non-blue decks to overcome all the raw card advantage Dig provides. Instead of Delver decks, people started to play decks that were designed to fire off as many Digs as possible, but while also countering their opponent's. These decks are Grixis Control, Miracle Control and Omnitell. These were the 3 decks everyone was prepared for when attending GP Kyoto and GP Lille.

2. Storm for GP Lille and GP Kyoto.
    You can't imagine how hard I tried to squeeze in Dig Through Time in Storm. After long testing sessions with my testing group it was clear: Dig Through Time doesn't work in Storm decks. Why should you play a combo (ANT) deck without Dig, especially when there are other combo decks that perfectly support the card such as Omnitell.
    While Dig is insanely powerful there are 2 issues with it:
    First, it’s a spell which can't be cast before turn 3-4, which means that you can completely ignore it as long as your deck executes turn 1-3 kills.
    Second, because of the Delve mechanic, these "Dig decks" have to play a ton of cheap cantrips to fuel their graveyard which also means that there is less space for countermagic. ANT does not play Dig, but it gets full advantage of how opposing Dig decks are built.
    Here are my Decklists from both Kyoto 2015 and Lille 2015:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/c...sts-2015-04-19

http://decks.deckedbuilder.com/d/86514

While there’s only a one card difference in the main deck, I did take an old friend to Lille which was Carpet of Flowers in my sideboard. Boy, is it a hell of a card. It is basically a huge upgrade on Lotus Petal or Cabal Ritual against Delver decks, Grixis and Miracle control.
    (Sidenote: Don't board it against Omnitell, Sneakshow, Shardless Bug and the mirror.)
    This time I stayed in a beautiful Chateau in Lille together with 14 other awesome Magic Players from all around the world:Matt, David, Sith, Tomaś, Phillip, Jona, Pascal, Sean, Julian and Marc

After doing some sightseeing on Friday together with my buddies Tomaś Vlcek and Johannes Gutbrod, who are both Miracle experts, we registered for the main event on Saturday.

*Bye

*Bye

2-1 Sneak Show
    I remember a big Ad Nauseam on my 3rd turn after I get rid of his entire hand.
    Xantid Swarm is still a blast and I would always (!) run at least 2.

2-0 Bug Delver
    G1 he put me on a fair deck and in G2 he draws to many dudes. Fortunately I don't care about Tarmogoyfs.

2-1 Burg Delver (Feature Match, not on camera)
    Carpet was a blast. I can't describe in words how good this card was. Once it resolves it is really hard to loose because it shuts down Daze and Spell Pierce and sometimes Flusterstorm untirely.

2-1 Grixis Control
    This was the only round Empty the Warrens got cast. A solid choice to go for Goblins since they only have 1-2 mass removal spell.

1-2 Bug Delver (Feature match on camera)
    My opponent Andrew was a really polite opponent from Scotland. Although, he did try to Pithing Needle my Lion’s Eye Diamond and then moments later attempt to Stifle it. Which caused a lot of laughter afterwards. I think everyone has made this mistake at least once so let's not hold it against him. Nonetheless, a very tough first loss on the event.

2-1 MUD
    I had to play two Dark Rituals through a Chalice of the Void (1) in order to win. My opponent completely forgot about his own chalice, which worked out well for me.

0-2 Elves
    Having Tendrils of Agony in hand is absolutely bad. Especially after mulligans.

7-2-0 is my score after Day 1 which is a bit disappointing after a 6-0-0 start.
    I was completely exhausted, but also happy after a long day of casting Rituals. I fell in my bed with mixed feelings.

Day 2 started with 2 coffees at 7:00 in the morning at the beautiful Chateau where I stayed.

[IMG][/IMG]
    2-0 Rug Delver.
    Have I told you how awesome Carpet of Flowers and Rain of Filth is?

2-0 Shardless Bug
    Postboard they bring in multiple hate pieces but there is no clock so you should be able to grind through their defense.

2-0 Lands
    No comment on this one.

1-2 Grixis Delver (Tomoharu Saito, feature Match on camera)
    This was one of the most enjoyable rounds during the GP. I made it all the way to europe and got paired against one of the only other Japanese at the GP, how awesome is that !

[IMG][/IMG]
    2-0 Elves
    He starts with Dryad Arbor, I start with Dark Ritual, GG. Sideboarding, shuffle, repeat.

2-0 Omnitell
    Finally I get to play against the Number 1 Enemy at this GP. I still believe that Omnitell is one of the best matchups for ANT as we are faster.
    Xantid Swarm is absolutely amazing here as well.

12-3-0
    [IMG][/IMG]

Facts:

12 Past in Flames kills
    5 Tutor Chain kills
    3 Ad Nauseam kills
    1 Empty the Warrens kill
    1 Natural Tendrils kill

Sideboard cards:

2 Carpet of Flowers - These were absolutely awesome, definitely going to use them more often in the future.
    1 Empty the Warrens - Was good to have, but I barely used it – same in Kyoto.
    2 Chain of Vapor - This card is almost always a must have because it's a removal spell, which also generates a lot of storm.
    2 Dread of Night - I didn’t use these at all this time but, that's Legacy. Still the best tool against Thalia decks.
    2 Xantid Swarm - Some people play 1 or 3. I prefer 2 copies because drawing multiples isn’t very good.
    4 Abrupt Decay - Decay is the best way to get rid of problematic permanents like Counterbalance or Chalice of the Void. This card is a necessity in every storm deck next to Krosan Grip.
    2 Krosan Grips - These are basically the fifth and sixth copies of Abrupt Decay. Some people board them in against Omnitell, but I don't.

Cards I missed in my sideboard this time were Flusterstorm and Sensei's Divining Top. Let's see how the meta warps after the new bannings.

Props/Flops:

+ Congratulations to Claudio Bonnani, he is a really good friend and we worked on several Legacy decks so far. You really deserve it !
    + Martin Nielsen, you almost made Top8 ! Best Stormer from Denmark. He also wrote a report here: http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...514#post892514
    + Martin Vonnasek, probably the best Stormer from the Checz Republic. You are the best buddy!
    + jamie Westlake, he also finished Top16 with Storm !
    + An exciting trip from Japan to Berlin and Lille and back
    + 2 Legacy GP's this year, Top4 and 17th
    + Awesome Group in the Chateau Des Ormes
    + TokyoMTG
    + Sightseeing
    + Carpet of Flowers
    + Rain of Filth for being awesome (I also signed a couple of them already!)
    + The Storm mechanic for being both cool and broken
    - 3 losses, 2 of them on camera
    - Empty the Warrens, the card underperformed in Kyoto and Lille. Maybe I'll cut it entirely? Not sure.

Thx for reading and feel free to leave a comment.

Yours truly,

Kai Sawatari

WTP's Choice
    Aug 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Re: *From Kyoto to Lille - GP 17th with ANT*

Good job mate!

Kind of disappointed that you didn't mention us random guys in the car but I guess we are no "pros" from the chateau.
    WantToPonder
    former: Team SpasticalAction & Team RugStar Berlin
    Team MTG Berlin

Quote Originally Posted by guillemnicolau View Post
    Since the print of dark petition grim tutor hasn't seen play in legacy (not in competitive decks).
    Quote Originally Posted by THerzog41 View Post
    I believe Maverick is still the best deck in the format and definitely the most underrated deck in the format.
    The Dragonstorm
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...he-Dragonstorm

Oct 2010
    Bergen County - NJ

Congratulations Kai for on your success in Legacy this year. I just came back from a break in MTG due to finances and school. I bought the deck on paper and on MTGO, and I can't tell you how much fun I am having with the deck. Thank you for the support in the STORM community! Good luck with your career with TokyoMTG.com! I'm looking forward to playing in an SCG Open in November and have plenty of time to prepare for it.

Oct 2013
    Berlin

Quote Originally Posted by CabalTherapy View Post
    Good job mate!

Kind of disappointed that you didn't mention us random guys in the car but I guess we are no "pros" from the chateau.
    Nice profile pic, buddy.
    TEAM MtG Berlin

"Dredge isn't a deck, it's public masturbation with graveyard triggers."

Quote Originally Posted by phazonmutant View Post
    So dismissive.
    Quote Originally Posted by danyul View Post
    This thread is great. I've been able to save so much money on seasoning! Whenever I'm eating something bland, I just wander over here to borrow some of the infinite salt.

WTP's Choice
    Aug 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by meffeo View Post
    Nice profile pic, buddy.
    Thank you.
    WantToPonder
    former: Team SpasticalAction & Team RugStar Berlin
    Team MTG Berlin

Quote Originally Posted by guillemnicolau View Post
    Since the print of dark petition grim tutor hasn't seen play in legacy (not in competitive decks).
    Quote Originally Posted by THerzog41 View Post
    I believe Maverick is still the best deck in the format and definitely the most underrated deck in the format.
    The Dragonstorm
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...he-Dragonstorm

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

You resolved 2 Dark Rituals through Chalice of the Void @ 1?
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Quote Originally Posted by sawatarix View Post
    Empty the Warren was one of the wasted sideboard slots,I did not even use it more than once.
    Quote Originally Posted by iamajellydonut View Post
    I feel like I read this every time someone places well with the deck. I look forward to reading it again next time.
    Props/Flops:

- Empty the Warrens, the card underperformed in Kyoto and Lille. Maybe I'll cut it entirely? Not sure.
    Did not disappoint.

Sep 2006
    Gent / Flanders

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Discussed this with a senior level judge and apparently the owner of the chalice is responsible for saying the spell gets countered. If he doesn't the spell resolves.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what's for lunch.

Re: *From Kyoto to Lille - GP 17th with ANT

No props for me to have stayed Home to let you perf?

Good report and congrats for the jedi mindtrick against mud !!

Apr 2011
    the Netherlands

And then complains about loosing the round after :P That 6-0 was a gift!

Gratz Kai! Not really a usefull report, but you can't memorize everything ofc... I hope you'll come back to Europe for more tournaments! Anything on the agenda already?

What Would Ravenous Baloth Do?
    May 2008
    Connecticut

Quote Originally Posted by Reagens View Post
    Discussed this with a senior level judge and apparently the owner of the chalice is responsible for saying the spell gets countered. If he doesn't the spell resolves.
    So if I control Chalice I can cast my own 1cc spells and just not say they get countered? That doesn't seem accurate
    Fools dig for water, corpses or gold
    The ice in my teeth keep the Cristal cold
    I be shoot'n lava around like an uzi
    Watch me turn this glacier into a jacuzzi
    I'm so hot people standing around me, just to stay warm
    Castin' so many spells looks like I'm playin' Storm
    I fuck all your creatures without any lotion
    Skeet in yo face, Erratic Explosion
    Every time you look I'm doing 2 to your dome!
    So scoop up your cards and take your broke ass home

-G.L.M.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Reagens View Post
    This does not seem sound. "Forgetting" about my own Chalice would be widespread tech then.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Quote Originally Posted by Holiday View Post
    So if I control Chalice I can cast my own 1cc spells and just not say they get countered? That doesn't seem accurate
    This does not seem sound. "Forgetting" about my own Chalice would be widespread tech then.
    The trigger when it applies to an opponent's spell is considered a beneficial trigger. The trigger when it applies to your own spell is considered a detrimental trigger. Both are treated like any other beneficial or detrimental trigger.

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...issed-triggers

Mar 2010
    Amsterdam

It's their trigger. They can forget the trigger and you're not forced to remind them anymore. I've cast spells into chalice (and through Eidolon) quite often. Forgetting your own triggers on purpose on the other hand is cheating. Missing a detrimental trigger (when you cast a spell into your own Chalice) causes you to receive a warning, missing a non-detrimental trigger (when your opponent casts a spell into your chalice) does not.
    37th GP Ams'11 | 80th GP Stras '13 | 5th BoM Paris '13 | 12th GP Lille '15

Nov 2011
    Madrid (Spain)

Great report Kai, was a pleasure finaly meeting you. You did a great job and from the rounds I watched you I learned a lot. Your just an awesome stormer. Sad at the end and the game vs elves. Saw all g2 and was just looking forward to see how you destroy him. Didnt happen...
    See u next time!

Robert&Matteo: Our road trip to Lille is... how should I say.....unforgettable :D

Next time we definately need a bigger car, or 2 ;)

Oct 2013
    Berlin

Robert&Matteo: Our road trip to Lille is... how should I say.....unforgettable :D

Next time we definately need a bigger car, or 2 ;)
    Rock, paper, scissors...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
    TEAM MtG Berlin

"Dredge isn't a deck, it's public masturbation with graveyard triggers."

Quote Originally Posted by phazonmutant View Post
    So dismissive.
    Quote Originally Posted by danyul View Post
    This thread is great. I've been able to save so much money on seasoning! Whenever I'm eating something bland, I just wander over here to borrow some of the infinite salt.

Thinking about Magic...
    Jan 2011
    Italy

Great report! And it's been nice to meet all the Sourcers there :)
    Ignorance is strength

great post kai. How do you board for rug delver? Is Xantid swarm good in this matchup, or do you just try and stay as streamlined as possible?

Vs RUG Delver I board:

+1 Empty the Warrens
    +2 Carpet of Flowers

-1 Ad Nauseam
    -1 Preordain
    -1 Cabal Ritual

No need for Xantid Swarms unless they board out all (!) their removal spells.

Thread Information