Page 39 of 47 FirstFirst ... 29353637383940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    Good comparison. FtK doesn't see any play in Legacy. I'm with Phoenix Ignition on this.
    Harsh, kid. Harsh...

Apr 2011
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post

Ob Nixilis seems to gain his spark back by killing Sorin/stealing his spark.
    Sorin??

Emrakul is a girl.
    Well, people already talked about a gigant space pussy ... ;)
    WotC seems to make 60-80% of the characters (in wider sense) female now. I think because of some motive of female equality or so. I find it actually quite funny and stimulating but a bit inflationary.
    And they probably take any chance to re-assign female gender to old characters of whom the gender hasn't been known so far.
    Question is why do Eldrazi have a gender to begin with??

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

The gender of Emmy is now known? Yay I guess. How does that help me when I have to Sac all my Lands and why the fuck should I care when I am playing Legacy? This is a total non issue.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Quote Originally Posted by joven View Post
    Question is why do Eldrazi have a gender to begin with??
    COLOSSAL UNIVERSE GORGING ENTITIES THAT HAVE TRANSCENDED EVEN THE MOST FUNDAMENTAL ASPECTS OF CREATION BUT STILL CAN'T SEEM TO GET RID OF THESE AWESOME ROCKING TITS.

I mean, like, genders on these things just don't make sense. If they wanted to call Emrakul a "she" or a "he" for just stylistic references, that's fine, but Emrakul actually being a milf or having a dong makes no fucking sense when I think of the Eldrazi, and any story they come up with to justify the pronouns is a terrible one.

May 2013
    Germany

I would assume that the gender is just a derivation from their mythological forms, where Ula and Cosi were depicted as male gods and Emeria as female, angel like entity.
    Considering everything close to them is disintegrating to dust, I doubt anyone had time for actual gender checks.
    Current Legacy Decks: Elves, 12Post, Eldrazi Stompy, Burn, Reanimator, Death&Taxes

Ob Nixilis seems to gain his spark back by killing Sorin/stealing his spark.
    That's not Sorin. That's Sarkhan. So, what the hell is he doing dying to Ob Nixilis?

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Darkenslight View Post
    That's not Sorin. That's Sarkhan. So, what the hell is he doing dying to Ob Nixilis?
    Sarkhan looks nothing like that.

Maybe it's just a random Kor? Do they have fin beards like the depicted guy?

Two Explores.
    Apr 2010

Sarkhan looks nothing like that.

Maybe it's just a random Kor? Do they have fin beards like the depicted guy?
    Yeah, just a random Kor. I don't think it pictures anything story relevant.
    Humphrey is always correct.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

I wish we were talking about cards and brews with new mechanics instead of art and story in this spoiler thread. I also wish I weren't complaining about this shit, but brainstorming.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    I wish we were talking about cards and brews with new mechanics instead of art and story in this spoiler thread. I also wish I weren't complaining about this shit, but brainstorming.
    Is there anything good from this set though? Looking over the spoiler I don't see anything I'd really want to play in Legacy.
    "We are goblinkind, heirs to the mountain empires of chieftains past. Rest is death to us, and arson is our call to war."

Quote Originally Posted by joven View Post

Well, people already talked about a gigant space pussy ... ;)
    Females are scary so of course it makes sense that a giant tentacle pussy monster would be a girl.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Quote Originally Posted by Amon Amarth View Post
    Is there anything good from this set though? Looking over the spoiler I don't see anything I'd really want to play in Legacy.
    No. not really.

Well, maybe. Retreat to Coralhelm seems to have a fair bit of potential. There is something to be said for a card that can make an aggro-control deck pretend to be a combo deck. If you got the goods, your Steppe Lynx is going to deal shitloads of damage right on next to the Knight of the Reliquary. there are actually a lot of white/green cards that make for a good land-based deck that does not count on the graveyard all that much.

Crop Rotation
    Flagstones of Trokair
    Lotus Cobra
    etc.

The question I want to know is, is this sort of interaction better than simply packing stuff like Gitaxian Probe and Daze, which probably would not make the cut in a creature based deck that includes blue.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

This set is one of the worst Magic sets I've seen in a long time in terms of Legacy-playable cards.

A scouring of the spoiler shows maybe... two or three cards, at most, that have any chance of even being considered for Legacy play. Compare that to Tarkir block that had a handful of "definites" during the initial spoiler and a few more that showed some Legacy applications later on.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

The tendency towards rating cards in a vacuum never ceases to amaze me.

Wasteland Strangler is attractive as hell; it would naturally fit into any deck packing DRS, White exile spells, Tidehollow Sculler -- nice fucking catch btw, whoever said it first. Sculler is one of my favorite cards and I love that this mitigates the "drawback" of returning the card. Hell, someone pitches a card to Force and you've got food. As for FtK comparisons, there's a real difference between 4 mana and 3 mana (especially in any deck with Deathrite Shaman), but also? You're forgetting the biggest problem with FtK; you can never drop FtK on an empty board. Wasteland Strangler's ability is optional, so that there gives it a +1 if you're going to compare it to Flametongue Kavu. EDIT: I primarily point this out because people are quick to compare it negatively to FtK, as in "Flametongue sees no play, why would this?" There are several reasons, but this is one that should be recounted as to why FtK quickly becomes obsolete.

Considering the average Rock-style deck right now it's got a fucking sick curve, even if it is "only fair" or whatever. Your mana dorks do work, you've got a 2-mana uncounterable kill-whatever spell, and solid tempo plays in Wasteland Strangler taking out a dude on turn 2/3. It feels pretty beast, at least on paper. God god dammit I wish Legacy were a thing around here and I wasn't fucking bankrupt, Rock with a splash of W/U sounds like my kind of aggro control deck.
    Last edited by TsumiBand; 09-19-2015 at 03:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Wasteland Strangler... Even with DRS you dont always have food. Ok we play legacy and chances are great that you almost always have something to return. On the other side, what do you think is harder, flipping a delver, or returning something from exile?
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    The tendency towards rating cards in a vacuum never ceases to amaze me.

Wasteland Strangler is attractive as hell; it would naturally fit into any deck packing DRS, White exile spells, Tidehollow Sculler -- nice fucking catch btw, whoever said it first. Sculler is one of my favorite cards and I love that this mitigates the "drawback" of returning the card. Hell, someone pitches a card to Force and you've got food. As for FtK comparisons, there's a real difference between 4 mana and 3 mana (especially in any deck with Deathrite Shaman), but also? You're forgetting the biggest problem with FtK; you can never drop FtK on an empty board. Wasteland Strangler's ability is optional, so that there gives it a +1 if you're going to compare it to Flametongue Kavu.
    Thanks. (I think)

Didn't even think about the empty board thing. Also, in Legacy, there's not much difference right now between 3 toughness and 4 toughness. The only guy I can think of that would die to a FTK but not to Strangler is a 3/4 Goyf.

Quote Originally Posted by HdH_Cthulhu View Post
    Wasteland Strangler... Even with DRS you dont always have food. Ok we play legacy and chances are great that you almost always have something to return. On the other side, what do you think is harder, flipping a delver, or returning something from exile?
    Exile, easily. But they play different at different parts of the game. Flipping a Delver turn 2 is easier than processing on turn 3, but Strangler is a quintessential midrange card and its value goes up as the game gets long. Meanwhile, late game Delvers are not as good. By that time there will be food; whether it be Force/delve/DRS fuel or victims of STP/Sculler/Ring/Council's Judgment/grave hate. If you're using STP on a 1-drop and Sculling turn 2, you've already got enough for 2 Stranglers.

But both of those are easier than blind-flipping Counterbalance. So I don't know what your point is.

It actually reminds me a lot of DRS when I first saw the card. I was like, "that's neat." But I didn't realize how good it was until I played it. I thought it was a convenient reusable late game finisher that also worked as pinpointed grave hate, but I guess when I recognized that it was practically BOP with a bigger body and more utility, I was impressed. If you're running DRS in a mono-black deck without fetches, it's not going to give you the mileage you want. The fact that your opponent might fetch and give you targets is nice, but not something you'll be able to always count on. However, when you consider that it's piggybacking on cards that you're already going to play if you're in those colors, then the fact that you can sometimes trigger it purely off of your opponent's cards is just gravy.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

I just realized, isn't Converge just Sunburst?
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    I just realized, isn't Converge just Sunburst?
    Sunburst is based around counters for colored mana spent on the card, converge mostly just cares for an effect when color is used.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by jrsthethird View Post
    Thanks. (I think)

Didn't even think about the empty board thing. Also, in Legacy, there's not much difference right now between 3 toughness and 4 toughness. The only guy I can think of that would die to a FTK but not to Strangler is a 3/4 Goyf.
    Yeah I mostly brought it up as people were using FtK as a way to invalidate Wasteland Strangler, but people tend to forget just how much FtK's choicelessness worked against its viability.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

I just came to the terrible realization:

According to Maro, the set has "problems" because they had to condense three sets into two due to the new block structure.

And we can also assume they put in the expedition lands to sell packs regardless because the set sucks so much.

Doesn't that mean the second set of the BFZ block is going to suck as well?

Problems + Expedition lands sound like a recipe for disaster.

Thread Information