Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Modern Goblins

Re: Modern Goblins

Modern Tournament:

First Game: U/B Faeries
    2-0
    Swing Wide and have a Cavern of Souls. Won extraordinarily fast with three Goblin Guides game 1 and slamming Blood Moon and Lords game 2.

Second Game: B/R Burn
    0-2
    Game 1:
    Start off with Legion Loyalist, get in for a bunch. Lose to too many one drops.

Game 2:
    Very close game, got the opposing deck down to 1 life. Has the gas to get me on the swing back.

Third Game: Esper Control (splash green for Life from the Loam)
    1-2
    Game 1:
    Blow Out, I win no problem

Game 2:
    Side Boarded in Blood Moons and Fulminator Mages. Opponent gets Jace, Architect of Thought and gets there.

Game 3:
    Close game, manage to survive an Elesh Norn for a turn. Ended up not drawing the goblin to push through for the win and lost to the exiling of one of my two lords.

Overall not bad for my first tournament out. I find that my sideboard still needs work. I will be testing Rakdos Charm, Golgari Charm, Ancient Grudge, and Dreadbore. Should be playing the deck again later this week.

I managed to win PPTQ Udine with RG aggro goblins, here is a blog post / report. You can read more about the cards picks and matchups, but here is the deck list I used in that 37-person PPTQ:

Creatures (26)
    4 Foundry Street Denizen
    4 Goblin Bushwhacker
    2 Goblin Piledriver
    2 Frenzied Goblin
    4 Goblin Guide
    4 Legion Loyalist
    3 Mogg Fanatic
    3 Mogg War Marshal

Instant (7)
    3 Atarka’s Command
    4 Lightning Bolt

Sorcery (8)
    4 Goblin Grenade
    2 Krenko’s Command
    2 Dragon Fodder

Lands (19)
    2 Cavern of Souls
    4 Copperline Gorge
    7 Mountain
    2 Stomping Ground
    4 Wooded Foothills

Sideboard (15)
    1 Mogg Fanatic
    1 Goblin Piledriver
    1 Atarka’s Command
    3 Destructive Revelry
    1 Tin Street Hooligan
    1 Dismember
    2 Relic of Progenitus
    2 Grafdigger’s Cage
    2 Blood Moon
    1 Rending Volley

Now, I'm trying jund aggro goblins with the addition of Spike Jester instead of some of the token makers. Also, I find CoCo to be a bit too slow, since there is no way to ramp (well, there is Simian Spirit Guide..). Atm, aggro goblins with Goblin Grenade are the way to go, at least imo.

Congratulations! It's good to hear that goblins is doing work!

I am replacing the Frogtosser Banneret and putting in Dark Confidant. After trying this out today, I found that it gives me the card advantage I need.

I do like the R/G list, but I am building more of a lord list. I am going to try Mogg Fanatic next.

Going to a Modern Tournament tonight. Let's see how it goes.

Jan 2013
    Madison, WI

I've been doing a lot of testing with various Goblins decks, including the Goblin CoCo list from my initial post. I still love Collected Company in Goblins, but the deck was having a hard time in a number of matchups, as it had no means of interaction outside of combat. I was siding in Lightning Bolt in most matches, so I went back to the drawing board and added them to the maindeck. To make room for the Bolts, I cut 3 Goblin Wardriver and 1 Collected Company. I added a Foundry Street Denizen in place of a Goblin Bushwhacker and also swapped out 1 Mutavault and one Stomping Ground for basic Mountains. I've been liking the results thus far. The mana is smoother, I have some means of interaction, I don't end up with as many multi-CoCo hands, and in general, I rarely find myself with cards in hand that I don't want.

Here's the updated list:

Goblin CoCo
    CREATURES
    3 Foundry Street Denizen
    1 Goblin Bushwhacker
    4 Goblin Chieftain
    4 Goblin Guide
    3 Goblin King
    4 Goblin Piledriver
    4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    1 Goblin Wardriver
    3 Legion Loyalist
    2 Mogg War Marshal
    2 Simian Spirit Guide
    SPELLS
    3 Collected Company
    4 Lightning Bolt
    LAND
    1 Forest
    5 Mountain
    1 Arid Mesa
    1 Bloodstained Mire
    3 Cavern of Souls
    1 Copperline Gorge
    3 Mutavault
    3 Stomping Ground
    4 Wooded Foothills

Sideboard
    3 Atarka's Command
    1 Blood Moon
    3 Destructive Revelry
    1 Goblin King
    2 Magus of the Moon
    3 Rending Volley
    1 Shatterstorm
    1 Stingscourger

Before my adjustments to the CoCo list, I put together a Rb/Rakdos Goblins list as well. That version eschews Collected Company and instead runs Frogtosser Banneret and goes just a little higher up the curve for a single copy of Krenko, Mob Boss (which may be the most fun card in the deck, as swinging with a Goblin Piledriver for 37 points of damage through an opposing Master of Waves feels really, really good).

Rb Goblins
    CREATURES
    3 Foundry Street Denizen
    4 Frogtosser Banneret
    2 Goblin Bushwhacker
    4 Goblin Chieftain
    4 Goblin Guide
    3 Goblin King
    4 Goblin Piledriver
    3 Goblin Rabblemaster
    1 Krenko, Mob Boss
    3 Legion Loyalist
    3 Mogg War Marshal
    1 Stingscourger (I'm just starting to test Stingscourger, as a 1-of, it hasn't come up enough to know if it's the right choice. I'm going to try Kolaghan's Command in this slot as well.)
    SPELLS
    1 Goblin Grenade
    4 Lightning Bolt
    LAND
    3 Mountain
    1 Swamp
    4 Auntie's Hovel
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    2 Cavern of Souls
    1 Blackcleave Cliffs
    2 Mutavault
    3 Blood Crypt

What I like most about the black splash are the sideboard options. This is the current board I've been using:

Sideboard
    2 Blood Moon
    2 Earwig Squad
    4 Rending Volley
    1 Shattering Spree
    1 Shatterstorm
    1 Slaughter Pact
    2 Thoughtseize
    1 Warren Weirding
    1 Wort, Boggart Auntie

I'm really unsure which list I prefer. They're both pretty even in terms of explosiveness. The CoCo list can just crush when you have a Spirit Guide to enable CoCo on turn 3, but that doesn't happen all that often. The Rb list has better game against combo. For now, I'm just going to consider the decks to be equal at a baseline and my choice would be dependent upon the expected metagame for a given event.

Hi folks. Just signed up looking for Legacy goblin advice but have found this so I thought I'd share my modern goblin list. It's not perfect by any means but I have about a 50% win rate on MODO and I'm not a great player!

//Lands (20)
    20 Mountain
    //Creatures (30)
    4 Foundry Street Denizen
    4 Goblin Bushwhacker
    4 Goblin Chieftain
    2 Goblin Rabblemaster
    4 Legion Loyalist
    4 Mogg War Marshal
    4 Goblin Piledriver
    4 Goblin Guide
    //Other (10)
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Goblin Grenade
    2 Shared Animosity

It's the 'all-in or bust' plan which is why only mono red and mountains. It wins sometimes by running them over but most times by getting them into grenade range just before running out of steam.

There is Goblin King in the board which replaces Goblin chieftain

Currently Goblin Rabblemaster is performing really poorly. Great card but bad goblin.

I also dislike Goblin Guide most games as gifting them land usually helps them and I need them to stumble early.

Good to see more lists showing up!

I tested my deck out recently and I found that though the Jund Build allows me to have card draw and more lords, that it has its disadvantages.

My current list that I will be trying out soon is the following.

4 Goblin Chieftain
    4 Goblin Guide
    3 Goblin King
    4 Goblin Piledriver
    4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    3 Legion Loyalist
    4 Mogg War Marshal
    1 Krenko, Mob Boss

3 Collected Company
    3 Lightning Bolt
    4 Goblin Grenade
    2 Evolutionary Leap

1 Forest
    5 Mountain
    1 Arid Mesa
    1 Bloodstained Mire
    3 Cavern of Souls
    1 Copperline Gorge
    3 Mutavault
    3 Stomping Ground
    4 Wooded Foothills

I'm also finding Rabblemaster a strange fit, as well as Goblin Guide. I will be trying out other goblins in their place soon.

Went top 8 at a pptq yesterday, (9-10-16) playing Moon Goblins. I know that the more you move from the mono-red base, the worse the deck gets. So, I decided to run just a bit of land disruption to make up for our lack of card advantage in Modern Goblins.

3 Cavern of Souls
    15 Mountain
    4 Legion Loyalist
    3 Reckless Bushwhacker
    4 Mogg War Marshal
    4 Foundry Street Denizen
    4 Goblin Piledriver
    4 Goblin Bushwhacker
    4 Mogg Fanatic
    4 Vexing Devil
    3 Blood Moon
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Goblin Grenade
    SB: 2 Goblin King
    SB: 3 Tormod's Crypt
    SB: 4 Dragon's Claw
    SB: 4 Smash to Smithereens
    SB: 2 Forked Bolt

Goblin King was a meta choice. There are so many decks running mountain right now, he actually works. Unless you are confident of a mountain heavy meta, nearly anything is better.

Because the deck is running so many non creature spells, I dropped to three Cavern of Souls. Two people fizzled counter spells off it anyway. I honestly believe this land makes the deck competitive.

What do you guys think of Pendelhaven in here?

Sent from my HTC One E9PLUS dual sim using Tapatalk

Thread Information