Thread: Liver of the Storm Vol.2 - GP Lille with TES

Liver of the Storm Vol. 2 - GP Lille with TES

Liver of the Storm Vol. II

Over a year ago I posted my first tournament report which was critically perceived. I admit that I wasn’t a good player back then but I’ve trained hard, tested various lists and played numerous times. On the other hand, I had some conversation with a major Magic site. I am not allowed to state their name due to obvious reasons but I think I can say that their name consists of two words; one being something like “everlasting” and the other one can be found in “Comedy Central”. Let’s move on to the actual topic. I present to you: Liver of the Storm Vol. II. This time it was the GP. GP Lille precisely. The only Legacy GP in Europe 2015. Gosh, I was excited. Ah, I have to say that some of my depictions are based on bar metaphors, which is a tribute to our local game store.

Here you can go to my first report: http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...rnament-Report

My deck of choice: The new TES. With a solid manabase and some new options in the main:
    4 Polluted Delta
    2 Scalding Tarn
    2 Bloodstained Mire
    1 Swamp
    1 Island
    2 Underground Sea
    2 Volcanic Island
    1 Tropical Island
    4 Burning Wish
    3 Infernal Tutor
    4 Cabal Therapy
    1 Duress
    2 Surgical Extraction
    4 Rite of Flame
    1 Chrome Mox
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Lion’s Eye Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal
    1 Ad Nauseam
    1 Empty the Warrens
    4 Ponder
    4 Serum Visions
    4 Gitaxian Probe

SB:
    2 Xantid Swarm
    4 Abrupt Decay
    1 Bayou
    2 Chain of Vapor
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Infernal Tutor
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    3 Daze

I think most of the slots are self-explanatory. Extraction is sweet against counterspells and the 3 Daze in the SB are a tribute to the Mentor Miracles lists. I like them and I think that Daze has great potential in Storm. I’ve cut Brainstorm because it is cheaper than Serum Vision on mkm and Vision is oftentimes a Magma Jet.
    Before I forget, I would like to thank Lemnaer and Brent for developing this deck and keeping the thread vivid and fruitful.

Let it rip: The Journey – From hot Lisbon to even hotter Lille
    I am a fan of driving with a motorcycle as a passenger of course. But this time we had a lot of people wanting to attend the event, so we managed to rent a car and squeeze as much bois as possible to make value out of it. It was tight as hell and the sweat was running down from our foreheads and eventually was caught by our shirts. Two bois in the back and two in front. What a juicy team! We had some fun talking and singing in the back and listened to some classic rock songs such as Heat of the Moment by Asia and She’s like the Wind by P. Swayze. The trip was already worth it. Unfortunately, we arrived at the site and had to play some magic. I got my focus back and was ready to smash some faces with Tendrils and Goblins.

Friday Trials:

We went to some spicy Asian restaurant and had some fun together. Lille is a very pretty city and the people are all lovely to the max. Although we struggled with the language (no one there speaks Portuguese), we managed to brawl from bar to bar.
    Round 1 against some French guy:
    His weapon of choice is a pure vodka shot and it seems to be a mirror match. He makes the first move and tries to empty it in one move. No no no, senior. In response, I go for the kill and have my glass empty before his. Repeat this in game 2 and you have my result. Got some 50 BoM points for that. Sweet.
    Round 2 against some other French lad:
    His name is Jules or something like that and he wants to play a game. I state that I’m in for everything he wants and needs. Eventually I get the perfect draws with some cantrips and manage to fist through his defense with EtW. One game was enough for him and he extends the hand. More BoM points incoming. Sweet.
    Round 3 against some French chap:
    Phillippe is a nice guy from Lille and we chat a bit about our experiences. Luckily he says that he has to go to the toilet and that I should say this to a judge. I call the judge that my opponent doesn’t arrive and he gets two game losses for tardiness. Nice. BoM points everywhere.
    Round 4 against some Spanish guy:
    He is playing Miracles and I hate this MU. In game one I try to figure out how to win against his blank hand and see a line with Ad Nauseam involving Wish and Empty. He doesn’t topdeck Terminus and I am the winner. In game 2, I am manascrewd and in game 3 my Dazes counter his early cantripping. Then I win somehow. The BoM points are real.
    Round 5 against some Frenchman:
    We have to wait for some time because the judges aren’t there to judge us and I can make some tricks with my Brainstorms putting the Tutor on top and blank his discard. He was playing BUG Delverbrew by the way. Didn’t stand a chance against natural tokens two times. Win! Somehow Wizards didn’t put my list online. What a pity. But I was ready to start the GP with 2 byes. Alright.

Ohhohoho, I coming home, so you better get the partey started:

THE GP, THE REAL DEAL:
    Round 1 and 2: BYES
    Round 3 against some French dude – Canadian 0:2
    I try to think about a line that works with some cantrips in hand. He plays Delver and passes and I probe him, seeing nothing relevant, go for some rituals and rites and then, ladies and gentleman, Wish for Past in Flames with only 4 red mana left but with 2x Probes in the yard and EtW in hand. I shuffle both cards Kibler-style in my hand and then all of a sudden Empty the Warrens falls on the battlefield. I am in shock. Before I can realize what happened, my opponent says: “Ok, here you go. Storm 8 right? So, 16 token. Hmm ok.” I wanted to go for PiF with both Probes but apparently Empty resolved so I called the judge and told what has happened. Jeez. The judge stated that we cannot rewind and that I should be lucky –lucky? Why? Well, I had to scoop and my opponent was shocked too. Probably he was still thinking about my mistake there. So, guys, keep you handcards in your hands…. The second game was simply Mongeese beatdown followed by some blue juice.

Round 4 against a friendly German dude – Omnitell 0:2

Not a big deal here. My opponent is from Germany and I ask him why he doesn’t wear “lederhosen”. He doesn’t look amused by my question and we keep on playing some Legacy. Shit got real when he went for the kill two times in round 6 respectively. TES is simply not able to race this beast of a deck.

Round 5 against some French boi – NicFit 0:2
    I see a young French lad opposing me playing NicFit. That’s the point when you realize you are in the “good” bracket. Things go horribly wrong as he sacs his Explorer and I don’t have basics to search for. I extend the hand with business and some mana in hand and go to the water station.

Intermezzo

I manage to meet some of the guys from Team Euroswag between round 5 and 6. They are very friendly chums and Shonegger is really tall.

Round 6 against another German boi – Burn 0:2
    When I saw Mountain>Lackey, I knew exactly that he was on mono red Burn. Easy MU for me. I start durdling around because that’s my job and he puts some guys onto the battlefield which start swinging for some damage. I don’t like that, so I wish for Pyroclasm which I take from my second SB. (It contains all the Wish targets) I wipe his board and play some more cantrips and start comboing off: Rite of Flame> Rite of Flame> Rite of Flame> Burning Wish> Past in Flames with Infernal Tutor in hand but no black mana > Rite of Flame > Rite of Flame > Rite of Flame > gg, second game. Game 2, I make a nice move and catch him off-guard with some Rituals and Magma Jet for his Lackey. He then proceeds to destroy my ass with some Goblin bois and I have to scoop it up.

Round 7 against a French dude – Enchantress 0:2

I am early at my seat and start to goldfish a bit. My opponent comes and I want him to wait for me finishing my goldfish. Apparently, he is not familiar with storm, so I explain him the various interactions. We start playing our match and I start to wonder if there are still some chances for Day2 and Top8 for me. We’ll see. He plays some enchantments and I proceed to fizzle on Ad Nauseam. Before game 2, I call a judge and want my opponent to be removed because he played a deck I that has been literally dead for some years now. The judge said that I should be quiet and keep on playing, so I did just that. Obviously, Enchantress wins with Enchantress beatdown with Rancor and I was devastated because I didn’t know that dead decks are still legal in Legacy… My bad…

Round 8 against a nice Spanish boi – Miracles 0:2

Nothing to say here. He got everything. I nothing. I think he goes for the Turn 1 in game 1 and turn 2 in the second match.

Round 9 against a goodlooking Scandinavian boi – TES ID

Save the best for last. A very handsome gentleman sits across me and I wish we could talk a bit longer before the game but apparently we play in a GP so I wish him all the best and start playing. He is also on TES. After we saw what the other dude is playing we decide to draw presumably into Day2 and go to the water station. We exchange phone numbers and he said that he will call me later (never did ).

Aftermath
    In the end, I have 7 points which is not enough for Day2 but I am still pretty satisfied with the Deck and with my result. It’s not that easy to play in such a big tournament in a hot hall with all the nice dudes all around me. Kudos to all my Portugeese friends out there and of course to all the guys who made the GP such a wonderful event. I wish you the best.

Here you can read my favourite report from the GP, by Lem: http://www.theepicstorm.com/heart-of...lle-aftermath/
    Of course you can read all the other reports from the GP. Hope to meet you all in Toulouse.
    Last edited by Marcelo65; 07-19-2015 at 05:18 PM.

Bryant Cook

Re: Liver of the Storm Vol.2 - GP Lille with TES

Obvious troll is obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook View Post
    Obvious troll is obvious.
    It's not trolling. I am sorry for misunderstandings.

We are lost. We can never go home.
    May 2011
    Noricum

LOL

You made me laugh out loud at several occasions throughout the report. I really enjoyed it!

Greetings
    My articles here, here, here and here | My current list | Follow me on Twitter | Questions I answered.

Quote Originally Posted by Einherjer View Post
    LOL

You made me laugh out loud at several occasions throughout the report. I really enjoyed it!

Greetings
    Thank you :)

我不是你的英雄。
    May 2010
    Germany

This is ridiculous. Best part is round five in the trial.
    Don't mind me, i'm just writing about Pauper these days: theweeklywars.wordpress.com

deckstats.net archive

Really enjoyed this report. Sometimes hard work just pays off.

Oct 2013
    Berlin

Thanks for this gem, already sleevin' the Serum Visions.
    TEAM MtG Berlin

"Dredge isn't a deck, it's public masturbation with graveyard triggers."

Quote Originally Posted by phazonmutant View Post
    So dismissive.
    Quote Originally Posted by danyul View Post
    This thread is great. I've been able to save so much money on seasoning! Whenever I'm eating something bland, I just wander over here to borrow some of the infinite salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Alexander View Post
    This is ridiculous. Best part is round five in the trial.
    Ridiculous in a good sense I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Bahra View Post
    Really enjoyed this report. Sometimes hard work just pays off.
    Thanks. That's true.

Quote Originally Posted by meffeo View Post
    Thanks for this gem, already sleevin' the Serum Visions.
    Go ahead. They are pretty good.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Re: Liver of the Storm Vol. 2 - GP Lille with TES

Quote Originally Posted by Marcelo65 View Post
    The trip was already worth it. Unfortunately, we arrived at the site and had to play some magic.
    Made my day

I manage to meet some of the guys from Team Euroswag between round 5 and 6. They are very friendly chums and Shonegger is really tall.
    Friendly? We hate people! And yeah, Philipp is like the European version of Shaq!

Awesome report man. I'll happily follow your continuous journey through Legacy. Keep them reports coming!
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Made my day

Friendly? We hate people! And yeah, Philipp is like the European version of Shaq!

Awesome report man. I'll happily follow your continuous journey through Legacy. Keep them reports coming!
    Pleasure to hear that.
    I want to improve and I will post another report if I attend another big tournament.

我不是你的英雄。
    May 2010
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Marcelo65 View Post
    Pleasure to hear that.
    I want to improve and I will post another report if I attend another big tournament.
    Please keep pushing the boundaries of what is possible with storm. Thank you.
    Don't mind me, i'm just writing about Pauper these days: theweeklywars.wordpress.com

deckstats.net archive

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

This is the best report I've read in months. Serum Visions > Legacy.
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Alexander View Post
    Please keep pushing the boundaries of what is possible with storm. Thank you.
    I do my best. I guess not all of my plays were opimal but some of them were pretty neat.

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Arzar View Post
    This is the best report I've read in months. Serum Visions > Legacy.
    Thank you. Indeed, Serum Vision is my favourite cantrip. Scry 2 is very good in the meta right now.

Thread Information