Kher Keep
    Ancient Tomb
    Temple of the False God
    Slayers' Stronghold
    Rugged Prairie
    Temple of Triumph
    Battlefield Forge
    Clifftop Retreat

The intention is to spawn fun multiplayer games. There are some group hug elements, and a good amount of chaos. The biggest complaints about group hug that I've read on the internets is that they don't have a win-condition and only mess up the game. I've tried to build to avoid that.

Most of the permanents I've included should continue to work even if they end up on my opponent's side of the table. I expect the deck to change at least a little after I've had a chance to get a few games in.
    Last edited by Ace/Homebrew; 08-28-2015 at 08:29 PM.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

Re: Iroas, God of Chaos

I used to have a Zedruu list that got a lot of mileage out of Jinxed Choker. It's arguably a little better with Zedruu since you can give it away again if someone hands it to you on their turn, but it still should do some work for you here.

Another card I used to run in that list is Risky Move. You've got a bunch of token generators, so you're not really risking all that much by running it.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by Davran View Post
    I used to have a Zedruu list that got a lot of mileage out of Jinxed Choker. It's arguably a little better with Zedruu since you can give it away again if someone hands it to you on their turn, but it still should do some work for you here.
    I'm considering the Choker! A friend with a Zedruu list ran it out early in a game where I was playing Cromat and had resolved Doubling Season. The Choker ended up being the single card that did the most damage during the course of the game. By the time it ended, it had 21 counters on it. I had been adding counters whenever it passed to me to spite the opponent that kept giving it to me. I got him to 1 life, but the Choker killed me when he gave it back. The downside is if it does kill an opponent (probably a pretty unusual cornercase) it returns to the owner.

Another card I used to run in that list is Risky Move. You've got a bunch of token generators, so you're not really risking all that much by running it.
    I did not mention it in the OP, but I am trying to avoid coin-flips. As much as I enjoy chaos in an EDH game, for some reason chance annoys me.
    Good suggestion though!

After some additional consideration, I agree that the Choker goes in.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Got some goldfishing in now that the list is finalized enough to do so. I treated the 3 unknowns as Street Wraiths.

The mana-base needs a lot more care. I'd like to keep the amount of basics high, but 15 plains/15 mountains is completely unreliable as far as getting the colors I need. So that is something to work on. Also, I don't really want to afford a Plateau or bother with swapping out cards from other decks, so that will get cut.

I'm pretty pleased with how it goldfished so far. I have enough 'board equalizers' to hopefully punish whoever breaks ahead. I'm not necessarily looking to be a king-maker with this deck, but I very much want to punish the try-hards.

Artifact ramp seems really important for me because I have a lot of high-cmc spells.
    Anyways... those are my initial thoughts! Promising, but still needs some fine-tuning.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    The mana-base needs a lot more care. I'd like to keep the amount of basics high, but 15 plains/15 mountains is completely unreliable as far as getting the colors I need. So that is something to work on. Also, I don't really want to afford a Plateau or bother with swapping out cards from other decks, so that will get cut.
    Here's how I'd build the mana base for this deck:

Sacred Foundry
    Arid Mesa
    Battlefield Forge
    Clifftop Retreat
    Temple of Triumph
    Boros Garrison
    Evolving Wilds
    Command Tower
    Slayers' Stronghold
    Flagstones of Trokair
    Temple of the False God
    Ancient Tomb
    Sunhome, Fortress of the Legion
    13 Mountain
    12 Plains

I think your choice in mana rocks is fine as-is. The last thing I'd add is Solemn Simulacrum as one of your filler slots since boros colors aren't the best at ramp.

+1 for this. This setup is extremely solid for a budget offering and gives you many options while maintaining a high basic count. The only thing you would really need to add if you wanted to spend money would be the Plateau and the fetches.

One thing I would look at adding if I were you would be Sunforger. It's honestly one of the best reasons to be in these colors as it's a repeatable tutor that is very useful while hardly ever doing broken things so it's rarely the highest-priority target. A good package to start with could be:

Mistveil Plains (not tutorable, but it can be used to repeatedly search for the same card)

Argivian Find
    Enlightened Tutor
    Oblation
    Chaos Warp
    Wild Ricochet
    Faith's Reward
    Return to Dust

That gives you access to recursion, tutoring, removal, and "card draw" at instant speed so you can actually affect decision making when it's not your turn. You're also already running about half of these and a few more cards that could be useful in niche situations.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Good list Davran! Thanks for your continued feedback on this.
    The initial list I posted contains 0 cards that search my library. This was kind of a goal and is in stark contrast to my Cromat and Mimeoplasm decks. In hindsight, keeping to that restriction is unnecessary and hinders my mana development.

Which leads to:
    The last thing I'd add is Solemn Simulacrum as one of your filler slots since boros colors aren't the best at ramp.
    I agree! I also think Wayfarer's Bauble deserves a spot as one of the 3 remaining blanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Baumeister View Post
    One thing I would look at adding if I were you would be Sunforger. It's honestly one of the best reasons to be in these colors as it's a repeatable tutor that is very useful while hardly ever doing broken things so it's rarely the highest-priority target. A good package to start with could be:

Mistveil Plains (not tutorable, but it can be used to repeatedly search for the same card)

Argivian Find
    Enlightened Tutor
    Oblation
    Chaos Warp
    Wild Ricochet
    Faith's Reward
    Return to Dust

That gives you access to recursion, tutoring, removal, and "card draw" at instant speed so you can actually affect decision making when it's not your turn. You're also already running about half of these and a few more cards that could be useful in niche situations.
    Good suggestion, but a Sunforger package is a different direction than I am looking to go (at least for the time being). I have been considering Oblation. That I'll add.

That completes the list! Not bad...
    The mana-base I'm going to shoot for will be:

Sacred Foundry
    Rugged Prairie
    Battlefield Forge
    Clifftop Retreat
    Temple of Triumph
    Reflecting Pool
    Command Tower
    Slayers' Stronghold
    Flagstones of Trokair
    Temple of the False God
    Ancient Tomb
    Kher Keep
    13 Mountain
    13 Plains

I'm not a fan of Sunhome in this deck because most of my threats are 1/1s and it requires 5 lands to use.
    I am also biased against Karoo lands, although that might be unwarranted. I'll consider the Garrison, but am not ready to commit yet.
    Kjeldoran Outpost seems like one I should consider... But nuking my own land is a big downside.

OP updated with the discussed changes.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Got the deck completed and tried it out last night.

Firstly, changes to the list before I used it:

+ Chandra Ablaze
    + Arid Mesa
    + Plateau

- Luminarch Ascension
    - Mountain
    - Plains

The first two games were unfun due to the 2 other guys at the table. Game 1 ended after a few turns due to Mike/Trike. Game 2 ended because of Palinchron. The 3rd game a 4th player was added as well as a 'no table clearing combo before turn 10' rule. An early Possibility Storm made the game interesting before eating a Krosan Grip. Then I untapped and played Knowledge Pool. Eventually everyone died to the Palinchron player's swarm of massive plant tokens.

Afterwards I committed to a 5 player game (despite knowing better) with a different group of guys. This game really let me see what my deck was capable of! I am very pleased with how my card choices played all game. What was disappointing was Iroas, God of Victory in the position of leader... For most of the game I was in a position where a General who was a creature and could attack would have been waaaay better than Iroas. Although Iroas' indestructibility was important. I ended the night thinking Iroas would be better as 1 of the 99 instead of at the helm.

Edit: I think I'm going to go with Tajic, Blade of the Legion instead. He's indestructible and battalion goes with my token sub-theme.

Thread Information