Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Playtesting and Tournaments on Cockatrice

Playtesting and Tournaments on Cockatrice

In light of the recent announcement of changes to prize structures for MTGO, many Source members are selling out. This made me think of trying to think of a way to fill the void that will be left by not being able to play Dailies anymore. I have a proposal for two things:

1. A Source clan, testing group, whatever you want to call it for Cocaktrice. Basically, you'd post your account name here and what deck(s) you primarily play. This should help give our members a network of players to playtest with.

2. A recurring tournament series that would be played on Cocaktrice. I'm guessing monthly is the way to go as to how often it would happen. iamajellydonut has offered to put up prize support for the tournament and entry would still be free so people would be playing for more than just bragging rights.

So what do you Sourcers think of these ideas? Do post your thoughts and/or if you are down for either of these things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysandros View Post
    I'm a crusty "old" player who would play nothing but Vintage, Legacy and 93/94 if I could, so I'm probably biased...but I'll never understand the draw to Modern. It's the Communist Soviet Union of MtG formats.
    In regards to Legacy:
    Quote Originally Posted by GrimoirePath View Post
    I dont know, I guess I like the anarchistic, outlaw format that allows everything and can thrive with or without the papal blessing.

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Re: Playtesting and Tournaments on Cockatrice

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonslayer_90 View Post
    2. A recurring tournament series that would be played on Cocaktrice. I'm guessing monthly is the way to go as to how often it would happen. iamajellydonut has offered to put up prize support for the tournament and entry would still be free so people would be playing for more than just bragging rights.
    Just to clarify, it wouldn't be a one day sort of thing. It's not like popping online, finding a few randoms, and giving it a go. People have work, school, kids, and timezones to play around.

Entry would be free. Rounds would last about a week. Prizes would be minor, but substantial enough to still give the spirit of competition and to keep people interested and happy at the end of the day. The endorsed program of choice and the program everyone would be expected to be able to play with would be Cockatrice, but players could agree to play with whatever if it suited them better.

Really I was just looking to gauge interest. I've been wanting to do this for a while but have been wary of how many people would commit. So, even if I could get like fifteen or twenty people to say they'd be willing, I would love to throw it together and start taking actual signups.

Edit: Interest achived. Thread will go up tomorrow.

Edit: http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...Jelly-Jam-2015
    Last edited by iamajellydonut; 07-23-2015 at 11:24 AM.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I'd possibly be interested in this. I need to learn how to update cockatrice a bit easier, but I think this sounds fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Happy Troll
    May 2009
    Rochester, NY

I'm down. My Cockatrice username is dunkelzahn, and I usually play Elves, Reanimating Pox, or janky homebrew.

Are you guys familiar with Magic League? They run free online tournaments, with prize support coming from the site's ad revenue. They're mainly focused on Modern and Standard though.

Id be interested, my username there is davelin

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

I'd have to figure something else out to play, as playing Miracles on cockatrice makes me want to throw my computer out the window.

Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Quote Originally Posted by alphastryk View Post
    I'd have to figure something else out to play, as playing Miracles on cockatrice makes me want to throw my computer out the window.
    On the plus side, there'd be no time limit. :V

Also, if anyone needs help with the Cock.de (Megadeus), just message me and I'll be more than happy to walk you through it.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

In light of the recent announcement of changes to prize structures for MTGO, many Source members are selling out.
    I read through this thread and the link above, but have never played Magic online and understood none of the content in the WotC article (other than Wizards thinks these are good changes)... Can someone explain what has changed and why it is causing Source members to sell out of MTGO?

-----------

Edit: I read the other thread (MTGO Discussion) and it helped some... Prizes stayed the same, but cost to enter increased. Plus (I think) less Eternal events or harder to enter the available ones.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Sure, a few reasons are making most people sell out, the latest change in prizes isn't the biggest of them but more of a "final straw" type thing.

The prize structures and buy ins are changing. Before a Daily tournament used to cost 6 tickets ($6 equivalent) to join and play in a 4 round tournament. The prize payouts for this event were actually pretty good, if you went 3-1 or 4-0 you'd get more than your money back in the form of packs of cards (online packs of cards). Those were easily trade-able to the ever-online master race of computer bots in the trading room who would give you tickets (or cards if you wanted) and you could basically go infinite as long as you did decently well in Dailies.

The new change doubles the entry fee while only paying out "Player Points", their new form of Ticket which is untradeable and therefore impossible to cash out on. You can still go infinite with them, it's just you can't ever trade them for cards you want or money. This makes Daily Events much less desirable.

The 8-man queues that fire off whenever 8 people join are getting slightly better payouts, but the problem with eternal formats is those never really fill up. The daily events almost never fail because they had good EV, but 8 mans never happen. So basically if you were trying to play in tournaments, now the entry fee is doubled and all prizes are account bound.

This isn't really the main reason I think, though it is for some. To many, Legacy is getting boring and the cards are worth far too much to justify keeping them on a client that has no authentication or way to stop someone from stealing everything you own with just a single password. Magic online itself has proven time and again that they aren't even trying to improve the client, they're just trying to cash grab to the detriment of everything else.

We thought we'd be getting a Hearthstone equivalent of Arena mode where you don't have to wait for everyone else in your pod to finish playing before the next round starts and you could just be constantly playing people, but that was put on the back burners and eventually they just stopped announcing anything about it.

We thought we'd be getting some regular interface updates what with the new, mandatory Beta client, but memory leaks still happen to the point where you are better off closing and opening the client between rounds.

But in classic MTGO style we get nothing. Not only do we get no improvements, the only announcements we ever get are crap like "hey, we're increasing entry costs to make it feel like it's a more competitive tournament style, and also we're making all prizes account bound."

I'm glad I sold everything. Compared to anything else I can be doing on my computer, Magic is just one of the less fun things. You basically spend at least 50% of your time on there waiting for other people to finish games. It's like going to a paper tournament but not having the ability to talk to anyone. How have they still not done anything about that, it's such a relic of the past to have to sit and wait for other people to finish. Even the top MTGO streamers have to play other games while waiting for things to finish. People who make their livelihood off of this game have to open up something like Hearthstone while waiting for games to be done. That's just absurd.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Ignition View Post
    A few reasons are making most people sell out.
    Thanks man!
    The (lack of) digital security seems like a huge issue. Makes me wonder if it is easier to steal someone's bag or hack their account...

Quote Originally Posted by iamajellydonut View Post
    On the plus side, there'd be no time limit. :V
    I'm not so keen on there being NO time limit. I think the standard 50 minute + Five turns is good. Maybe we can do 55 or 60 minutes. But I think anymore than 60 is not proper for a competitive tournament. And this is coming from a miracles player. I love having all the time in the world, but for tournaments I'd prefer for them to be timed if we're trying to have a competitive atmosphere since we have to play under timed conditions irl anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysandros View Post
    I'm a crusty "old" player who would play nothing but Vintage, Legacy and 93/94 if I could, so I'm probably biased...but I'll never understand the draw to Modern. It's the Communist Soviet Union of MtG formats.
    In regards to Legacy:
    Quote Originally Posted by GrimoirePath View Post
    I dont know, I guess I like the anarchistic, outlaw format that allows everything and can thrive with or without the papal blessing.

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013

I'm not so keen on there being NO time limit. I think the standard 50 minute + Five turns is good. Maybe we can do 55 or 60 minutes. But I think anymore than 60 is not proper for a competitive tournament. And this is coming from a miracles player. I love having all the time in the world, but for tournaments I'd prefer for them to be timed if we're trying to have a competitive atmosphere since we have to play under timed conditions irl anyways.
    I've actually liked having 40 minutes for my playtesting sessions, as a miracles player.

I know I play fairly quick, and my friends do to, but that's not necessarily true in a tournament.

Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Time limits on the actual game are a non-issue. The primer's been written. As I said before, all I'm looking for is interest.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

I'm interested, I'd just need some assistance getting the client running.
    Last time I tried I couldn't get a current versions and none of the new cards.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Interested.

I would also be interested.

I would be interested in competing

They see me puntin'
    May 2010
    Finland

Interested!

Dec 2012
    Vancouver, Canada

Interested, anyone is welcome to add me at the same name when i actually have time to sign on.

Jan 2015
    Calgary, AB

Interested. Find me at bigbobbobber on cockatrice . Non-Sourcer cousin said he's interested as well, find him at troids.

Thread Information