Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [Article] A look back at GP Lille

Joe Cool Above All
    Sep 2007

Re: [Article] A look back at GP Lille

Quote Originally Posted by Humphrey View Post
    nice article, but id prefer to stay to the real names of the decks and not use grixis, sultai or whatever stupid names wotc tried to shove down our throats and i refuse to learn or use them.

I'm not sure why any writer should care about this, especially any writer with an editorial mandate that a lot of major sites have.

Quote Originally Posted by jrsthethird View Post
    Those are the real names now. BUG and RUG are the only ones that really flow off the tongue well enough for the old name to stick. ...

That's because as part of the 'awesome' program, WotC decided to make blue the only color that has a vowel abbreviation.

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

no, theyre not. first of all, its much easier to know the colorcombination by just naming the colors it uses. also in the article he uses the actual names of the decks like canadian and team america but in the metabreakdown he uses sultai and shit.

also i never heard anybody using ceta-, raka-, ana-delver, although its even more fluid than the new wedgecrap.
    Wizards didn't push the Ceta, Raka, etc. stuff very hard, as each was only used in one cycle in each color for each rarity (obligatory Time Spiral block exception: Ana Battlemage). This, as opposed to focusing an entire block and story around arc combinations/wedge combinations like in Shards or in Khans. The names were an identity of the sets, as opposed to some cute cycles.

(Aside for newbs: Ana Disciple, Ana Sanctuary, Anavolver were the green ones. Dega, Ceta, Necra, and Raka were the other prefixes, for W, U, B, R, respectfully.)

Also, I don't remember the backlash (maybe I wasn't very active at the time) during Shards for the arc colors, but everyone seems to be totally fine with Bant, Esper, Grixis, Jund, Naya now, so why would the wedge combinations be any different in a few years? It's obvious there's no use fighting the change. So deal with it.

I'll give you the point on consistency within the article though. That, and if the community has been calling the deck Team America or Canadian Thresh for 10 years, why rename it now? That's dumb. Perhaps Wizards forcefeeds it too much with their coverage and it leaves a bad aftertaste. The names themselves are fine.

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    That's because as part of the 'awesome' program, WotC decided to make blue the only color that has a vowel abbreviation.
    Even so, WUB, WUR, WUG, RUB, BUR, WRU, URB, or BRU sound pretty ridiculous. ;)

We are lost. We can never go home.
    May 2011
    Noricum

Quote Originally Posted by MGB View Post
    Nice article.

I think it would be even better if you went over your matches in the GP in brief form so we can see how your Miracles list did on a matchup by matchup basis, as well.
    Thanks!

The problem with this is sample size. At a GP you can win MUs that were below 40% in testing and still lose against a deck that is indeed a 55%+ MU. I have to admit that I do not think that it'd have added anything, I'm sorry. :)

nice article, but id prefer to stay to the real names of the decks and not use grixis, sultai or whatever stupid names wotc tried to shove down our throats and i refuse to learn or use them.
    Thanks!

I'm terribly sorry but isn't "Grixis" a term that we Legacy players use? I mean I didn't use Sultai/Temur or anything, but Grixis is second nature to me, to be perfectly honest.

Quote Originally Posted by btm10 View Post
    I think you're really improving as a writer (at least in English, sorry that I haven't read anything you've written in German) and that this article was by far your most engaging and interesting.
    Thank you very much! :)

It means a lot to me!

Greetings
    My articles here, here, here and here | My current list | Follow me on Twitter | Questions I answered.

..sry, whut? ◔̯◔
    Jan 2008
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Einherjer View Post

I'm terribly sorry but isn't "Grixis" a term that we Legacy players use? I mean I didn't use Sultai/Temur or anything, but Grixis is second nature to me, to be perfectly honest.

Im playing Legacy since ever and I have no clue what color combination Grixis (RBX?) or the other stuff is. I only know Esper and Bant because those were popular decks without individual names and Naya because of Nacatl.
    Got tired of Legacy and you like drafts? Try my Paupercube What?

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Im playing Legacy since ever and I have no clue what color combination Grixis (RBX?) or the other stuff is. I only know Esper and Bant because those were popular decks without individual names and Naya because of Nacatl.
    Grixis control was a popular deck in the Alara/Zendikar standard season (and yes, that is what is was called - I played it a ton), and people have been trying to play that deck in Modern since ever, so it's been around. Grixis was MUCH more common and successful than Esper in standard (Esper was really the only shard that didn't produce a strong standard deck). When that color combination started making rounds in Legacy some time ago, the name was adopted because most people were already familiar with it. You apparently weren't, but I'm not sure how you weren't - perhaps pull your head out of the sand once in a while?
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

..sry, whut? ◔̯◔
    Jan 2008
    Germany

I play Legacy not Standard. Ive no idea whats going on in that format. The last time I noticed a deck from standard was with SFM and Jace. Why should I care on Legacyforum??

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

I play Legacy not Standard. Ive no idea whats going on in that format. The last time I noticed a deck from standard was with SFM and Jace. Why should I care on Legacyforum??
    So you never open spoilers or previews to see if cards in new sets are good in Legacy? You never try and port strategies from other formats? Narrow-minded, elitist, and idiotic sounds about right. Welcome to my ignore list, it's far overdue.
    Lord of the Chalice

Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Esper, Bant, Grixis, Jund and Naya are all from the same block. How can you not know what Grixis Delver is by now?

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

The hell is happening here? It looks like a really tall duck wearing a shirt is about to start some shit with an old Amish guy.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

..sry, whut? ◔̯◔
    Jan 2008
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Arzar View Post
    So you never open spoilers or previews to see if cards in new sets are good in Legacy? You never try and port strategies from other formats? Narrow-minded, elitist, and idiotic sounds about right. Welcome to my ignore list, it's far overdue.
    I look at every new set to see if there are any interesting cards for eternal or lately mostly for cube. But yes, I never try to port strategies from a format with a handful of legal cards to a format with ~25.000 legal cards...

But Im glad im on your ignore list, since your comments makes no sense whatsoever to me. Elitist? Because I refuse to play a watered down demo version of magic aka standard. Or because im not elitist enough to know all formats, all cards and every shit to figure what artificial names are the latest bandwagon?

And like I said. Esper and Bant were called like this in legacy from the beginning, so I know them. I cant remember Jund or Grixis being successful. Until now, it seems.

Mar 2014
    Tennessee

I'm fine with the Alara shard names, because they don't sound like abortions. The new wedge names however...not so much. I'll be damned if i'm gonna use Femur, Jetski, Slutty, Azkaban, or Marmaduke.

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

And like I said. Esper and Bant were called like this in legacy from the beginning, so I know them. I cant remember Jund [...] being successful. Until now, it seems.
    Except for, ya know, seven years of off and on history. No big deal.

..sry, whut? ◔̯◔
    Jan 2008
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by iamajellydonut View Post
    Except for, ya know, seven years of off and on history. No big deal.
    Has any Jund deck won any bigger tournament or even an scg? And Grixis wasnt a deck before DRS, right?

Zombie Elf Warrior
    Dec 2004
    seattle

Humphrey, you're being a curmudgeonly old man right now and your out-of-touch-iosity is distracting from actual commentary on the article. Just do a quick Google search on "Grixis" or "Jund" or "tempo" or whatever to understand the context and then continue reading the piece. I do the same thing when I read actual news and have to Google up words longer than 7 characters. Let's just keep it movin, pimpin. You can take this crusade to a more appropriate place instead of burning another 1.5 pages of this thread on this tomfoolery.

Nice article, Philipp. You keep making quality stuff and you're super accessible to your readers. You are a boon to the Legacy community.
    Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    was greg mitchells hair ever on camera?
    Elves Discord Channel: https://discord.gg/2EVsdw2

We are lost. We can never go home.
    May 2011
    Noricum

Quote Originally Posted by danyul View Post
    Nice article, Philipp. You keep making quality stuff and you're super accessible to your readers. You are a boon to the Legacy community.
    Thank you very much, Sir! It means a lot to me! :)

Greetings
    My articles here, here, here and here | My current list | Follow me on Twitter | Questions I answered.

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by plowshares View Post
    I'm fine with the Alara shard names, because they don't sound like abortions. The new wedge names however...not so much. I'll be damned if i'm gonna use Femur, Jetski, Slutty, Azkaban, or Marmaduke.
    Now those are names that I endorse

People claiming to play Legacy "since ever" and pretending not to know what Grixis means <3

Say no to creatures.

May 2013

I look at every new set to see if there are any interesting cards for eternal or lately mostly for cube. But yes, I never try to port strategies from a format with a handful of legal cards to a format with ~25.000 legal cards...

But Im glad im on your ignore list, since your comments makes no sense whatsoever to me. Elitist? Because I refuse to play a watered down demo version of magic aka standard. Or because im not elitist enough to know all formats, all cards and every shit to figure what artificial names are the latest bandwagon?

And like I said. Esper and Bant were called like this in legacy from the beginning, so I know them. I cant remember Jund or Grixis being successful. Until now, it seems.
    I'm with you buddy. Never care or spend any time looking at any Standard decks. Barely skim over the spoilers for new sets when they look interesting (Origins looked great btw, I really liked the flavor, art etc.) Couldn't care less if people think this is narrow minded or elitist. It is pathetic if they think this is idiotic. This is a fucking game and I get to choose how I spend my time on it the way I enjoy it.
    Legacy: Rituals
    Vintage: Drains

Thread Information