Despite me failing pretty bad at one moment :D
    37th GP Ams'11 | 80th GP Stras '13 | 5th BoM Paris '13 | 12th GP Lille '15

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Re: Source Tournament aka Jelly Jam 2015

PSA:

Current Bracket:
    I've had a few people message me so far wondering what in the devil is wrong with the bracket and why this and why that. Valid concerns, and it basically boils down to the fact that we're throwing forty-two people into a sixty-four person bracket. Over half the people in the tournament had byes in the first round. Which is, to say the least, pretty ridiculous, and the bracket has and will just try to continue to compensate for that.

The major consequences of this are that some people have to play out more rounds than others, and that there will be two(?) more rounds that really didn't need to exist in order to compensate for this. So, while extremely wonky, it is technically working "as intended".

Looking forward:
    "Working as intended" isn't the same as "working as I'd like it to". If I were to do this again, and I do want to do this again, I'd probably look to either cap signups out at normal and even player counts or figure out a bracket that arranges the byes in a more convenient fashion. Other than that, other than a really slow start due to the sheer number of byes, this has gone pretty swimmingly so far in terms of the flow of the tournament. I think it'd be better if I could nudge the round time down to three days, but certain realities do have to be lived with.

Also, even though it's caused problems, I'd just like to say that I'm thrilled forty-fucking-two people came out to play in a lame tournament with "TBD" prizes. And, speaking of which...

Prizes:
    I've been delaying the announcement of prizes for a bit for two reasons. One reason is that I wanted people to sign up not for loot, but for the excuse to play Legacy. And, again, you did not disappoint. The other reason is that I wasn't entirely sure what I was going to give out. From the start I had basically settled on paying out as though it were a $5 entry fee with 100% returns, but I have a bunch of stuff laying around that I don't use anymore and more that needs to get traded in for things that are useful, so I've just been sort of delaying the announcement even further until I could settle on stuff that I don't mind parting with but also stuff that would make for decent prizes as opposed to just "here's my hand-me-downs".

With that said, I do still fully intend on paying out to the top four, and I am still considering what I could do for 5th-8th. I do have a few things that I'm strongly considering adding to the pool and I have a few more things that I'm considering getting for the pool, but what I can definitely add for now are a SP+/NM- Force of Will, a German Scalding Tarn, and a few decent playmats in case cards aren't your thing.
    Last edited by iamajellydonut; 08-03-2015 at 02:25 PM.

Site Contributor

Jul 2007
    Europe

Deviruchi vs Garobidou
    2-0

For those of us with bracket mismatches, which round timing do we fall under?

For example, it's Noctalor's 2nd round and my 3rd. Is our match expected to complete in this second 4-day window, or by the end of the 3rd 4-day window?

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Quote Originally Posted by ExpiredRascals View Post
    For example, it's Noctalor's 2nd round and my 3rd. Is our match expected to complete in this second 4-day window, or by the end of the 3rd 4-day window?
    Next round will be your deadline.

The rounds only move at the pace of the last people in line. So, since the rest of the lower bracket has yet to be completely filled, there's no real reason to impose a deadline on you guys since your moving faster wouldn't actually expedite the tournament. Starting next round, all of the byes should be filled, and the tournament should start to progress at a normal pace.

Again, this is a pain in my ass as well, and definitely something I'm looking to overhaul for next time.

Is there software for this that might make the match setup easier, and let more folks play all the way through the tourny rather than getting knocked out? Something similar to the WOTC software used in sanctioned events I guess.

Also I'd just like to say that if there are going to be prizes (awesome by the way), I imagine many of us would be fine pitching into a pot via paypal or something similar.

I like the opportunity to play some legacy in a structured way, at a fairly leisurely pace. Thanks for putting it together.
    Cockatrice: Bosque

May 2011
    Canada

genuine fugazi wins over Krasman in three games; they were close

Happy Troll
    May 2009
    Rochester, NY

I got crushed by crush, 1-2. I threw game 1 with a huge misplay, which I realized just after I had conceded. q_q
    Death to the Reserved List. Long live Legacy.

Cockatrice name: dunkelzahn

genuine fuzagi vs Krasman
    Won 2-1 against Krasman.

Sorry about derping in the second game

Jan 2010
    Germany

Bigwerdz vs venice

2-1 for Bigwerdz

bigwerdz over venice 2-1. Very good games with a nailbiter g3.

A clean 2-0 for Decan.

Thanks for the game mate !

Quote Originally Posted by Holo_rip View Post
    A clean 2-0 for Decan.

Thanks for the game mate !
    result is correct and it was my pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by chris_acheson View Post
    I got crushed by crush, 1-2. I threw game 1 with a huge misplay, which I realized just after I had conceded. q_q
    2-1 for me is correct. G1 was a steal..

Got crushed by Michael Keller 0:2

Quote Originally Posted by Damaku View Post
    Got crushed by Michael Keller 0:2
    Confirmed. Great games and truly nice person - good luck the rest of the way! :)

They see me puntin'
    May 2010
    Finland

dsck 2-0 pirateking

I had pretty good hand both games

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

I got murderated by dsck 0-2
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Thread Information